Do you believe there is a Sasquatch, or Bigfoot creature in the U.S.?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (45 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Just wanted to see what everyone thought about it.  One cannot deny that people are seeing something, but what the heck is it?  Seriously.

I think I heard that somebody actually admitted that this famous photo was faked.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/smalfut.jpg

I live right in the middle of an area where numerous sightings have been reported over the years. I've heard accounts from the local people who are credible.  I've never seen a thing, yet I've heard some strange things and had a couple of creepy moments.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He looks pretty well off. Next time you meet him, ask him if he heeds a house keeper or a maid. He probably does not have a lot of furniture and with no clothing , not much dust either. I can work for reduced wages until recession is over, you know  big_smile

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be careful there!  No clothing simply means the dust is in the fur and as that thing could shed an incredible amount of hair it could easily double your work load. big_smile

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably not, but who knows?

2. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Sure...I believe in "BigFoot"...'Cause the "Aliens'" took me to visit with him awhile. Nice creature...spooks easy though...and smart as a whip...however, could seriously use a bath!

http://www.riff.it/public/upload/HohRainForest.jpg

"Everyone wave "Hi" to Mr. BigFoot!"

3. dariashakti profile image61
    dariashaktiposted 12 years ago

Hi, I won't mock you like the others. I've never seen a bigfoot, but I lived many years in the mountains of PA. There were always reports. In the mornings, I used to walk my dog in the forest near a lake in a huge state park. There was a spot right off of the trail where there was a little clearing in the forest where one could go to the edge of the lake without being seen from most public views. Sometimes, I would go past that place in the early morning and there would be a terrible smell there...I'm not talking dead fish or dead animal, but another foul odor I didn't quite understand. Sometimes when I smelled that, I would see big foot prints in the mud. There were plenty of black bears in the area and it may have been that a bear was fishing or watering there, but I had also encountered bears in the woods and never smelled that smell. One day on the same trail,I had the keen sense that I was being tracked. Occasionally, I would hear the cracking of a branch not far from me. Bears will track like this and my dog and I hot footed it out of the forest. But why not big foot? There are more things under heaven than most who have mocked you seem to have the imagination to consider.

donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you shared this because it's simialar to what my neighbor told me happened to his 16 yr old son in 1982. There is a pond about 1/4 mile SE of my place which is on the property of my neighbor.  There's nothing but woods, pasture and farmland between us and the Sulfur River until it turns into the Bayou.

Anyhow, my neighbor came home one evening in 1982 to find his 16 yr old son white-faced and shaking on the front porch. He became alarmed and asked his son if he was sick. The boy told him, "No, Dad, I think I just saw that thing....!" Well, according to the neighbor, his boy was fishing in his flat bottom aluminum boat on the pond. He overheard a cracking noise, like something walking.  Thinking it may be a deer, he turned and looked, then froze.  Walking along the bank was a large mammal that resembled a tall man, but swung it's arms from side to side.  The boy was shocked. It didn't see him, it just kept walking.  As the boy's adrenlin kicked in, he put his ore in the water and began to row quickly to shore. He glanced sideways and saw the animal sprint towards the woods.  As soon as the boat hit the bank, the boy took off running to the house, where his dad found him at about the same. 

Now my neighbor said he immediately got his gun and told his son to "come on". They took the dog with them. When they came to the bank along the pond, he said they smelled the foulest stench he ever smelled. As they approached the barbed wire fence, the smell was worse.  He said he'd never smelled an odor as pungent as that. It was like a wet dog mixed with excrement. The dog, upon smelling the scent, turned around and ran away. There have been other accounts of dogs running away.  This neighbor of mine is reliable. 

I know they saw something, but what? Whether it was a freak of nature (quite possible) or just an escaped ape, the fact remains that people see something unidentified. It doesn't mean they are crazy or wanting attention, it just means they've seen something they cannot identify.

1. The Reminder profile image75
        The Reminderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha wet dog mixed with excrement. Now that has to be some horrible scent!! Maybe it smells like the perfume of the guy in the movie Ron Burgundy!

2. dariashakti profile image61
        dariashaktiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting story. at least three times on the same trail where I had smelled the smell, my dog  came running back towards me on the trail with his tail between his legs and a frightened look going in the opposite direction of our walk. Whenever he did that, I always went with with him assuming there was a bear or a bob cat up ahead.  I never questioned his reaction, I just trusted him and left the forest..if something spooked him, I wasn[t going forward. However, I have to add that on a few occasions neither a bear nor a bob cat discouraged him from going forward on our walk and I had to turn him around.

4. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Wow..."mock"...is a pretty strong word for something that has not been proven! (I lean towards the fact that there is something unexplainable out in the woods of many areas...and that its' instincts are highly sophisticated beyond anything we have seen or known to this point...and that is why it has avoided detection for all these years...until technology and overpopulation on the planet have caught up to it!)

But why not lighten up and have a little fun...There are too many things going on that require our serious attention...let's laugh when we can!!!?

Besides...I know ...for dang sure...that I sure wouldn't want to meet up with it!

Hey, I'm with ya on that. I sure as heck don't want to meet up with it either!

5. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

Cannot say I believe in a Yetti, at least not in North America, but I believe it's possible.  In 2010, a new monkey (sneezing snub-nosed) was discovered and in virtually every other year of record, new (even large) mammals are discovered or found that they are not really extinct.  Until the 60's government officials said the gorillas of Rwanda were a myth, and now everyone knows that's not true.

There are still areas in the world (even some in North America) that are virtually untouched and would have the land mass and habitat to support a creature like this.

It probably doesn't exist...but just 10 years ago they said that about cougars in my area, and now they are well documented and tracked.

I actually doubt that the sneezing snub nosed monkey was undiscovered.  More likely is that the locals had been eating it for decades - it just hadn't been seen by the scientific community studying wildlife in their own backyard.

There is landmass and habitat (without human occupation) in Pennsylvania where it is supposed to exist?  There must be a house every 1/2 mile in that state! smile

We too are getting cougars around - a woman was attacked just a couple of years ago here on one of the trails in the foothills just outside of town.  They are being driven into co-existing with humans due to destruction of their habitat.

1. dariashakti profile image61

In the mountains in Central PA, and in the north central part of the state, there  are plenty of wilderness areas where there are thousands of uninhabited acres of state game lands,  parks, etc. I don't know if there really are Yetis there, but there are always reports. I've encountered bears, coyote, bob cats and any other number of wild species in those hills. But have never seen a Yeti.  But why can't they be there? Civilization is encroaching on all wild creatures, why not them as well?  And who says that they might not live "inside" the earth, which would make it easy to hide.

True, I've never been through central Pa.  Except one trip on highway (40?) and never stopped then.  East and West, yes - almost wall to wall people, at least by my standards (the west where you may drive 100 miles and see no one except an occasional car).

I'm just of the opinion that if they're there someone would have shot one or reported a skeleton by now.  Hard to believe that man and large animal can coexist in America without every having a yeti or remains in hand.

2. melpor profile image91
          melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do not believe these creatures are around or have ever been around. If there were a few of these creatures around they would have died out by now and became extinct because there is probably not enough of them of around to keep their population up. Besides, I think we would have encounter them many times over by now; which prove the point that there are not any in existence. This is just a folktale pure and simple.

Why do you believe they would have died out? Bears haven't died out....neither have coyotes or bobcats or ground hogs or racoons....we've made their lives hell, but they are still there...why would Yeti's have to disappear? Many believe that during the ice ages humans went underground  into the complex cave systems in our country. PA is full of caves. So are many of the mountainous areas where Yeti's have been reported. Not saying that's where they are, but who would bother them there? And if they really don't want to be discovered, why would they leave bodies laying around for us to discover?  Just having fun here....but you never know....

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
              A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we have discovered bears, coyotes, bobcats, ground hogs and raccoons, despite their efforts to be discovered. Yes, they are still there.

Where is Bigfoot?

There are wild minks in the PA woods as well. In 60 years, I think I saw one once...maybe, same thing for weasels and massasauga rattlesnakes.  I was in the deep forest daily for years, even the rangers who I checked in with regularly to stay safe  said I saw more than they did......but those creatures are there. Just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Some creatures are masters of evasion....some are wilder or perhaps smarter...I'm not saying the Yetis are definitely real, but I am saying that just because we haven't personally seen one  doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Why such similar experiences for so many if there isn't something there? Anecdotal evidence isn't as strong as some bones, but nevertheless there is plenty of anecdotal evidence.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
                  A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Anecdotal evidence is useless without hard evidence, of which there is none.

6. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

One other thing I see was touched on was "aliens."  Again, not saying I believe, but almost no legit scientist these days believes we are alone in the vast universe (not just microscopic life forms).  The world of science has changed greatly over the last 10 years.  There are have been HUNDREDS of new planets discovered in the last 5 years alone.  That's science - today's quack is tomorrow's ground-breaker.

Stephen Hawking, one of the greatest scientific minds of this generation, is well known for his quote that "humans should fear aliens." Google it.

7. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

If they exist, and I am alway agnostic on these kinds of things, my guess - they are the last remaining Neanderthals.

An interesting theory.

8. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Who knows?  Some people still believe in the Lock Ness Monster although that also has never been proven.  With photo imaging...photos are no longer proof of anything.

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Nessy has had a reality check. The entire lock has been scanned. No Nessy, gee what a surprise!

What there is a lot of is gullibility.

10. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Hi Earnest. How well have you researched anything on BF. Where did you get your info from that made you decide its all hogwash. Or is it just a given with you...big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What answer would you like? I admit to liking some evidence when outrageous claims are made.

There is none, Nilch nothing, for any of these sightings. We have about 100 a year here in Australia for extinct species and large cats, never a single piece of proof either.

Why should anyone be surprised?

Some humans believe an invisible fairy god made itself, became it's own son and killed itself then came back again so they could be forgiven for telling porkers like the lot who saw bigfoot. lol

11. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I thought it was Nessy that people (scientists, etc.) had speculated may have been some little known type of under-water creature that may have made it's way through some little "passage" that led from a larger body of water.   Maybe I have the wrong mystery creature, but the "thing" on it was several years ago.

Without mocking anyone's belief, I have to say that I tend to be the sort who leans toward believing that, even if it takes time, there's always some "scientific" and less "mystical"/"weird"/"dramatic" explanation for this kind of stuff.

So, no, I don't happen to believe in any Big Foot creature.

12. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Never say never. I think the jury is still out. I wouldn't think every sighting can be chalked up to imagination, mistaken identity or anything else.

The chances of Bigfoot being real are slim, but not nonexistent.

Agreed.....

If I saw something strange and unidentified that I thought may pose a danger or an interest to science, I'd report it as that: an unidentified sighting, describe what I saw, then hope they would investigate.

13. Alastar Packer profile image71

You can of course believe anything you wish Lisa,   if we all thought the same on everything we'd be little better than programed androids.  Plenty of "mystical"/"weird"/"dramatic" reality out there that will remain such until one fine day they're understood and explained scientifically. And then it'll be on to the next unknowns. The TV Star Trek intro said it pretty good...big_smile

14. freyahkemp profile image61
    freyahkempposted 12 years ago

Big foot, Chupacabra, etc.....I believe to their existence

There really is a Chupacabra. They are some kind of hybrid mix of coyote and wolf. Somebody caught one recently and videod it.  It really does look weird.

15. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

I live in the Sasquatch (Bigfoot) capital of the world. I heard all the stories and read the newspaper articles. I will admit that there's more than enough forest here on the Olympic Peninsula, WA to support creatures like that. I personally never saw one, but who knows. No further comment on the matter.

16. Alastar Packer profile image71

Leave fairy gods out of it earnest. So, your simply stating the 100 reports in Australia are laughable because there's no evidence. What is your criteria for evidence? In Australian law can one be convicted on the eyewitness testimony of people? When I get a chance I'll take a look at the "evidence' or lack of in your country for any BF reports. Then hopefully we can have a friendly and sarcasm free discourse on the subject...big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bigfoot in Australia? I don't think so! lol

Our reports are usually for sightings of the extinct Tasmanian Tiger or wild cougars. smile
      I doubt we could have a discussion about anything. I think your attitude sucks.
      Are you another one of the god loving people?

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
        Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I now agree with you earnest. We shouldn't have a discussion on it. Your attitude is the superior one and mine sucks as you say. I only love people; whether they're God people or not.

17. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

My husband is part of the BFRO. When I read your story to him, he said it was highly possible that it was a bigfoot. All the detailed evidence points to a bigfoot. I haven't followed the topic of Bigfoot like he has, but I have come to believe in my experiences that they do exist.

18. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

http://wonkette.com/assets/resources/2008/03/bachmann-thumb.jpg

19. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

yes I believe there are "creatures" living out in the woods in remote areas that we haven't discovered.
    There have been too many sightings and stories over the generations to support the idea of a large hairy man-ape... or something like that.

20. Happyboomernurse profile image84
    Happyboomernurseposted 12 years ago

Let me put it this way: If I come across such a creature while on a nature walk, I'm assuming he's real and getting out of there ASAP!

21. Mcham Law profile image60
    Mcham Lawposted 12 years ago

sure why not? stranger things exist out there.

22. lockgirl profile image61
    lockgirlposted 12 years ago

This make me giggle a little, Florida has their own version of "Big Foot" known as the "Skunk Ape".
    Back in the mid 80's my two older brothers and two of their friends had gone into a wooded area to go goof off. The car broke down and back then there was no cell phones and the nearest pay phone was miles away.There were some small farms out there but you didn't want to knock on someones door at midnight to ask to use the phone.
    As they were walking how ever many miles they needed to walk to get to a phone they heard a deep growl and they smelt a foul smell. They swear they seen the Skunk Ape ( lol)eating a cow or a large farm animal. They of course ran their asses off getting out of there and walked the 15 miles back home. To this day they still swear they seen the Florida Skunk Ape.
    P.S
    I think they were out of their minds and let the wooded area spook them, and what they heard was a bull alligator grunting and they were smelling the river at low tide.

23. agvulpes profile image85
    agvulpesposted 12 years ago

Australia does have it's own versions of BF called the "Yowie" and the other comes from Aboriginal folklore called the "Bunyip"  There is actually a small township in the State of Victoria called 'Bunyip'

24. everydaymedium profile image60
    everydaymediumposted 12 years ago

I sure do believe and I can't wait until we find one.  There is alot more than we know in this world and beyond

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)