What was the worst present you ever received?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (112 posts)
  1. Julie2 profile image61
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

I like hearing about other people's experiences when it comes to receiving a gift that they did not like. 

Mine was turtles. Not only did my husband forget my birthday that year, he gave me a box a week later. When I opened the box it had three turtles inside. I was so angry, I looked at him like he was crazy. He said, "I figured you woyld want this because you said that when you were younger you had one and it died."

OK, you may think,"Oh, how sweet!". I just kept looking at him with that, "Are you kidding me?!" look.

Yes I did have a turtle that passed because she flipped over on her shell and drowned. After that I did not want anything to do with pets let alone another turtle. I was traumatized!... Dont laugh!. I really was, so why would you go and get someone the one thing they told you hurt them the most to see go?

He was so devastated, he didn't get why I was upset about the gift. I told him to give them away. I know that I hurt his feelings but come on now, when someone is telling you a story try to really listen! LOL.

1. webguyonline profile image56
      webguyonlineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a pair of fancy earrings, my friend know that I don't wear earrings and still she gift it to me knowing the fact that it's a fancy one

2. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I paid the electicity bill for a broke friend once, because she claimed it would be cut off if not paid immediately. Instead of paying me back, she gave me a nasty, cheap jacket that didn't even fit me properly. She only bought designer clothes for herself, the reason she was always broke ...

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like my friends.. Except my friends are dudes.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine are both, but she's not one of them anymore.

2. Julie2 profile image61
        Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mikeydoes, what do guys give each other anyway? It must be hard to buy your guy friend a gift.

Camlo, No Way! it just doesn't make sense. So sorry to hear about that jacket. Was it polyester? Faux leather? Rabbit fur? eghhh. I know I must be making you sick to your stomach right now, sorry!

1. camlo profile image83

Faux suede, and it was a long time ago. We laugh about it now.

Oh my! When faux sueded gets wet it smells... I'm glad you can laugh about it now.

1. camlo profile image83

This one is even more unbelievable, and hilarious; she was supposed to pay a bill in a restaurant, but claimed her wallet was jammed shut. No matter how hard she tried, it just wouldn't open. Of course, she got a free dinner. There are many, many such incidents with that woman.

LMAO! Oh my goodness... she is a repeat offender!

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I want to hear more about the faux suede/wallet jammed shut lady. She sounds like a major drama queen (I can only imagine some of her other scams!).

That turtle story is actually kinda sweet. Except for the gift being late.

My husband once bought me a set of pots. I was really miffed at the time. But I have a feeling, with this economy, we may be putting a lot of "totally non-romantic household stuff we need" under our tree roll

You would have to ask Camlo for more stories,

Camlo maybe you should do a hub about this person, it would be an interesting story hun.

As far as the gift giving this year, dont worry about it. We are all going thru that right now. Things will get better...

4. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I got a bloody screwdriver can you believe it. smile

1. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Come on B.P. ...everyone enjoys a nice beverage now and then lol

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO Tim oh if it were the beverage type I would have whisked it away. No he wanted it to fix the holes in his garage ROFL.
        He was no good for me anyway as the xmas before he bought me an electric men's shaver.
        A few friends and I shaved his eyebrows off when he was drunk and asleep and we drew them in with a black Niko Pen haha. He looked like Groucho Marx.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo155/DeNNeS_PLaY/groucho_marx1.jpg

Oh my goodness, LOL! You are hysterical blondepoet. I agree with timorous on the beverage, we need one of those screwdrivers now and then but to receive a REAL one as a gift, WOW!

That would actually be a good gift for me because Iike tools. My husband calls me Mrs. Vila because I love to build things and paint, which is why I dont understand the turtle incident!

Julie I have to say what a beautiful, glamorous woman you are smile

2. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK ... I need a cultural context for a "Bloody Screwdriver" ...

For an American, that means someone probably gave you a murder weapon and are trying to frame you ... and that would be bad and quite certainly the worst present I ever heard of.

No, for certain bar tender types, I think that's a really disgusting concoction of vodka, orange juice and tomato juice.

Or are you using bloody as expletive, as is common non-American English? wink

Because in that case, I don't see why a screwdriver is a bad gift?

5. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Socks, really I can buy my own. lol

Oh man! that really sucks. I hope they were soft and warm at least and not the ones that itch...

6. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

A Ouija Board from my Sister, (although it was marketed as an 'Angel Board')

Oh, another one was a hair dryer from an ex of mine.

DAMN! what was your ex trying to tell you?! makes you wonder what the heck they are thinking. Did you get rid of the board?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I certainly got rid of the ex.....!

I also got rid of the board... I gave it back to my Sister when I moved to Tenerife for 2 and a half years. As far as I know she still has it.

7. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Typically...aunts, uncles and grandparents have no clue.  Especially if you're between the ages of 8 and 16.

I seem to recall receiving a hideously tacky t-shirt featuring some Florida scenery.  I never wore it...even my mom laughed hysterically.

Another aunt gave me a pink shag rug in the shape of a dog (I think).
    My-oh-my... big_smile

the tee isn't to bad, at least you can wear it to sleep. The rug though, wow!

8. writinginalaska profile image80
    writinginalaskaposted 13 years ago

the worst gift i ever received was from my ex mother-in-law.  I never figured out what my crime was, but for some reason that woman just didn't like me and she went out of her way to let me know.   The first Christmas we went to her house for the day of festivity.  After dinner it was time to exchange gifts.  I had sweated bullets searching for the perfect gift for her hoping to turn the tide and at least have her find some level of acceptance in me.   I was the last person to receive my gift and all eyes were upon me.  Mother-in-law hands me an incredibly small box to open, so i reach in and pull out a headless ceramic Santa.   Yes, you read right, it was headless.  Everyone laughed but me, i was so insulted i just went home.  Oh, and i told my husband, when your mother finds the head to my Santa, she is welcome at my house.  Ha,  now guess who had the last laugh?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...that was mean wasn't it?....she's the ex though! ha ha!

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Wow, what a bit*h she must have been. I don't blame you for going home, that is just plain nasty!

Why was it headless couldn't she afford one with a head. I don't understand.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

By the sound of things she knew it was headless/broken when she wrapped it. The whole point was to humiliate and get a 'not so subtle' "I hate You" message across. I am only reading between the lines though, but this is how I would see it if it were me!

PS BP, I have to giggle at your question about 'couldn't she afford one with a head?'. It kind of sounds as if there is an 'economy range' of Santa's without heads available because they are more affordable. big_smile

LMAO Misty I had to wonder. I get it now, oooo that is nasty a headless Santa it would have been different if it were a headless horseman....

2. writinginalaska profile image80
            writinginalaskaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol,    she knew it was headless,  or removed the head and then wrapped it. 
            she probably had the head and home and was sticking pins in it.    she was the headless horsewoman.   No soup for You!!!

2. writinginalaska profile image80

she knew it was headless,   trying to make a point.  but i got the last laugh, she never stepped foot in my house again.  Cranky ole b*tch.

3. Julie2 profile image61

writinginalaska, I can so relate. I think many of us have had the "OUT-LAWS" experience. Well thats what I called mine. It was either that or "CAVE PEOPLE." LOL

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

omg, what a heartless MIL. sounds like she lost her head!!

what do you do when you open a gift like that?? geez, mom in law, is life that rough this year.. hmm

9. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

In 1st grade we had a dress code and I mean girls wore dresses and skirts. Parents sent me to school in complete boy's clothes and I got in trouble for it. They were mad they could not dress me as a boy (hair, shoes, and everything), but put me in a dress. Well, that Christmas, my aunt gave me boy's clothing as a present. It was not a happy year. Funny now, though.

Also one year, someone gave me a gift card with no money on it; that happened to a friend also. As a matter of fact, on Christmas he received a roll of old duct tape from his mother-in-law as a Christmas gift. She cleaned out her attic and gave trash to people that year.

Turns one against gifts!

WOW, Patty! Did your parents know about the dress code and what it was that you were supposed to wear exactly? Unbelievable. A gift card with no money, oh my. That roll of duct tape is a good one. I would have written his in-laws name on it and put it on a shelf where she could see it whenever she came over.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They knew the code, but went against it, much like our new Gov. Kasich trying to use our $400,000,000 federal railroad grant for highways instead and losing the money. LOL

I like the shelf idea!

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

Reading some of these gifts I would think it was an argument for not giving gifts at all. Best wishes in a card are so much better and so much more sincere!

I have always liked that more... something written that was heartfelt means more.

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Worst present? A Ped Egg!

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I like my Ped Egg, it's really useful. big_smile

2. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
      Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's a Ped Egg?

@Lifeallstar1. you use it to scrub your feet to get rid of dead skin...

12. timorous profile image82

I suppose one way of getting back at these numbskulls is re-gifting the same (or similar) item right back to them lol

1. writinginalaska profile image80

oh regifting!!!    why didn't i think of that,   could have given the headless Santa back to her and had a good laugh  hahahahaa

@writinginalaska, that would have been hilarious! LOL

13. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

Here's another - When I was 8, my father gave me a small broken tape recorder for Christmas. It sat for a while and then he threw it out. At the same time, he bought new cars for cash and never drove some of them. Ecentric.

14. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

When I was five my Sis (who was 12) thought it would be a good joke to wrap up a can of green peas as a gift for me.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Peas-on-Earth-for-Christmas

Thanks for the fun topic. Actually, I think I would have rather had turtles.

Oh Rochelle, I'd rather have the peas hun! LOL. At least its something you can eat... and it doesn't carry disease.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

That's a good Hub!

15. Sue Bond profile image67
    Sue Bondposted 13 years ago

When I was 8 or 9 my granddad and his girlfriend gave my cousin and I each a pair of pantyhose/leotards. He just had no clue about kids. In all fairness, it was a very practical gift...

Sue, the sad thing is that most grandparents really dont have a clue when it comes to giving gifts. I would feel so bad whenever my grandmother gave me a gift because it was always a card with money. I know I should have been happy but I felt bad because I knew she couldn't afford to give her money away. I would take the money and have my mother get her something she knew grandma needed then I felt better.

16. Jaynie2000 profile image84
    Jaynie2000posted 13 years ago

I guess that is usually clothing that I don't care for, but in general I don't really receive gifts that I would call the "worst." That's because they are all genuinely given from the heart and I typically feel blessed that someone cares enough to get me anything at all.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cooolest answer, so far. Thumbs up.

17. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

My dad felt really proud of himsself one year when I was about 10 yrs old, I was a kind of a tomboy, and never was into make-up or jewelry yet.

Anyway he bought me this jewelyry box full of Jewelry, I was hoping for a bicycle.

I wore some of it for awhile, just to make him feel good but eventually it all got put in the jewelry box, and my sister got it, she was always so prissy, she loved it.

I think thats why I hate to wear jewelry today. lol

18. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

My sister gave me a $1 gift, which I noticed was used yikes

19. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

This girl in school gave this guy I had a crush on a dogbone with a bow on it cause he teased her lol

20. timorous profile image82

A friend of mine gave his ex-girlfriend a McDollar as a wedding present. lol
    He wasn't kidding either...he actually did.

OMG! LOL

21. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

I feel bad saying that any gift was a bad gift, but I would have to say the most outrageous would be while in high school, dating a guy who, for Christmas gave me a Brass Button teddy bear. I was stoked, and loved it until I found out he had stolen it from his mom's collection of them, and that she was really upset that she didn't know where it had gone. I gave it to his sister to give back to her.

that is just terrible...

2. Jo Deslaurier profile image67
      Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's awful. Nice of you to give it back though.

22. Julie2 profile image61

I didn't post this question to make anyone feel like I was being inconsiderate or that receiving a gift from someone isn't special. Believe me it can be. My point was for us to have fun in remembering a time where we received something that just did not make sense. I'd rather not receive anything then have someone give me something they did not put any thought into. When this happens it hurts the person receiving the gift. You just wonder if that person really knows you at all...

23. Stephanie Henkel profile image93
    Stephanie Henkelposted 13 years ago

My worst gift was from my husband.  One year he gave me a vise.  Yes, that's right, a 25 pound vise.  He thought I could use it for some of the crafts I was doing.  I actually did use it, but it was the most UNromantic gift ever!

Speaking of gifts, one of my son's teachers got a good one...he took my engagement ring from my jewelry box and gave it to his favorite 1st grade teacher!  Luckily, she realized it was real and returned it to me.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One person's vice is another person's virtue.

A lot of little boys want to marry their first grade teacher. That was a sweet piece of larceny. Maybe he figured you weren't using it. Glad you got it back.

Wow Stephanie, I am glad you did get that ring back.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90

Those are funny.

24. vgf1968 profile image60
    vgf1968posted 13 years ago

My husband gave me a fishing pole for our first anniversary.  This was AWESOME.  We weren't home, were working out of town, and I didn't have a fishing pole, so I got a fishing pole and then got to go fishing.  However, when the 5th anniversary came, I let my husband know very clearly that if I got another fishing pole for another anniversary (as it was the only thing I had been given every year thus far) I would hurt him.
    I love fishing, don't get me wrong, but I only need one fishing pole. I don't need, nor want 5 of them.  Since then, I don't get presents for Christmas, birthday or anniversary, but I am totally okay with that, as long as I don't get another fishing pole.

That sucks....

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's rough, for a first anniversary.

I don't know which was my worst. it may have been the tired looking rose bought at 7-11 on Christmas morning.

25. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

When my sister and her children decided to get me nothing. hmm

Oh Bendito! That really sucks, wow!

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was last Christmas. My mother and I went to her house to bring gifts, and they had gifts for my mother, while I sat and watched as they all opened gifts.

It was an interesting experience. hmm

1. profile image0
          Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That really sucks.  A lesser person would have taken her gift back!

26. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

A set of War Hammer Sisters of Battle.  My husband collects and makes the models and he thought I would like a set.  I liked them about as a year of Prince William getting married news trivia.

27. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

syphilis

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice one Greeky, being a soon to be father, I would have thought you would have cleaned up your act.  Glad to see your not letting standards slip. x

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

already a Dad... 7 weeks today...

even if I still had an act to clean up after 2 years of marriage, i'm would be to tired and sleepy to take to the stage now lol

Damn, that sure is a surprise gift.

the surprise was that i got it in my ear

1. BDazzler profile image78
          BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK ... someone just has to say this ... and I am sorry ... but...

Doesn't that go to prove you're f'd in the head?

i set myself up for that one

@BDazzler, you rock!
              @Greek One, Ouch!

28. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

My MIL once sent a bunch of parenting books, promoting a view point directly opposed to ours, after we had visited her.  I might not have been offended, if she hadn't spent the entire time gushing over how wonderful and well behaved our children were (and they really were).  sad

In my family, we enjoy lots of gag gifts. 
    One year my dad gave my brother rocks, because he was tired of him shaking all the boxes... his real gift, computer games, were already downloaded on the computer.
    My brother once gave our sister a wrapping paper tube filled with junk from his desk, including a picture of his friends.  The funniest part was watching him try to retrieve the bits that were not junk.
    My BIL gave my mom a box full of practical things: toilet paper, duct tape, pens, paper, light bulbs and such.   She wrote him a thank you note, listing each item and where she intended to use it.  lol

Do you still speak to your MIL? It would have been worse if she would have hughlighted or flagged the chapters she wanted you concentrate on...

I like practical jokes too. We did that growing up.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only when I have to.  hmm

29. profile image0
    mommyloves2writeposted 13 years ago

When my husband I were married twenty-three years a ago, his aunt and uncle gave us a USED Fry-Daddy as a wedding gift!  Even though I have received gifts I have not liked over the years, NOTHING tops that!

Wow, do you still have it?! LOL. I'm sure I brought back some laughs with this question....

30. rometechberry profile image59
    rometechberryposted 13 years ago

he wost i received is a photo of mine where i looked terrible and that was captured at most unfortunate time and gifted to me.

That totally sucks!

31. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 13 years ago

My Sis-in-law to be gave me an iron and an ironing board at my Bridal shower. So romantic. It went downhill from there, but at her baby shower I gave her a breast pump!

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gifts are such an emotional thing! 
      Assuming the gifts were quality and not already owned, I wouldn't find either one offensive.

2. j.amie profile image60
      j.amieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hah! That is just awesome.

3. Julie2 profile image61

OUCH! Those breast pumps hurt like hell! LOL

32. nlthomas profile image60
    nlthomasposted 13 years ago

Flowers ... I know they're supposed to be romantic and such, but I'm highly allergic and I was already having a terrible day. Soon as my fiance presented them to me I broke down. To this day, he hasn't bought me flowers and I don't mind one bit.

Did he know that you were allergic? If he did, that just makes it worse!

33. schoolgirlforreal profile image78

I think it was probably the time my sister gave me a small ceramic thing from the dollar store and it was used when I opened it and kinda dirty.

Dito, that sucks schoolgirlforreal...

34. Julie2 profile image61

I forgot another one:

My husband went and bought me yet another pet I did not want. Remember we started off with the turtle gift at the beginning of this post. This time he bought me a sulphur crested cockatoo for our wedding anniversary, just like the one in the picture below.

I asked him, "Why would you think I wanted that bird, they make to much noise and they release alot of dander?" His response, "Its an exotic bird. I wanted something tropical in the house." You saw that right! He wanted the bird and pawned it off on me as an anniversary gift, aughhhh. So guess who got stuck with cleaning the exotic birds cage... 
    lol
    Me
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4396973.jpg

35. evvy_09 profile image59
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

Our roommate gave me an old dusty VHS copy of Snow White. This is after he and his girlfriend came back from an unsuccessful yard sale she tried to have.  He lived in our house so I figured he would have noticed we didn't have a VCR. 
    It was maybe a month after me and my husband had thrown him a birthday party.

LOL! I can only imagine the look on your face...

36. profile image52
    meme1950posted 13 years ago

My wonderful Christmas gift this year was the 40th edition of Uno...the $1.00 per deck card game. The worst thing about it is, my daughter gave it to me and I can't stand the game.

37. guy1973 profile image56
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

the worst gift that i ever received was at a public function in which I have to pick a number and get a something. i got a dozen miniature bowls which i quickly get rid of  and gave it to my sister and that was like 10yrs ago. few months ago i visited her house to see my 1yr old nephew and i was teasing her and asking her where did she got those funny looking tiny bowls and she reminded me that i was the one who dumped them at her house.

1. profile image49
      Liiiiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps it's better not to make bad gifts?
      Read about common mistakes when choosing a gift for a man:
      http://where-what.net/

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Justice at last! lol

38. twilightnera profile image60
    twilightneraposted 13 years ago

socks,no joke! The guy didn't even buy my anything else. Just socks. The nest year I got him hand soap and he was not too happy.

39. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

A paper clip....handed down from generations of paper clip collectors!!!!

40. Mrs. Menagerie profile image90
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 13 years ago

When I was a kid my Grandmother would send me random stuff she found lying around her house every Christmas. Most memorable were the size 14 Carters underpants,  a dusty old deer antler, a rotten leather case with toenail clippers inside and an unopened pillow case from Sears that was from the 1950s. It became a regular joke each Christmas to discover what treasure grandma had dug up for me this year.

Oh, how could I have forgotten the dried dead fish (I think it was a bull fish or cow fish or something along those lines.)

1. profile image53
      Disappointed HRposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's even worse when the Worst Christmas Present Ever was given to my wife and I by my mom.  She gave us a few kitchen cleaning supplies, including one that looked like a small toilet bowl cleaner, stuffed into a 12 ounce glass that said, "Ho, Ho, Ho"!!  A warning to all mothers out there: let your kids pick out their own cleaning supplies.  Also, if that's the best you can do, don't give anything.

41. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I once received a very small package on my birthday, and told by my friend who gave me the gift to have a drink on them.  I opened the package to find it was a tea bag.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)