Why do posts in the "Religion" forum become condescending word wars?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (43 posts)
  1. notloc27 profile image60
    notloc27posted 13 years ago

Why are people so quick to attack others beliefs? This forum is a prime example! Whenever I click on any forum post, it is filled with condescending word wars! It seems like most of us have absolutely no respect for one another on here. I can't speak for everyone, but Christians, aren't we supposed to give a reason for the hope we have WITH GENTLENESS AND RESPECT?

1. profile image57
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

since the meek shall inherit, looks like some of the people here in the hub pages is missing the whole point of trying to follow the word

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you actually read the bible? You'll find it replete with that which is anything but gentle or respectful.

1. profile image57

why don't you read the bible with a little understanding,
        and what you are doing in this forum is exactly what this started about

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha HA!!

2. the pink umbrella profile image73
          the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

then you should have titled it "why dont the non believers just say were right already?"

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

LOLOL....hmmmmmmm

3. JulesGerome profile image61
      JulesGeromeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, where's the place where people have REAL respect for one another ? No such place.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

yes, i agree, but I think what often happens is we forget we are Christians and our "animal" or "base" instinct is to DEBATE debate debate, or argue or whatever.

5. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because, when people choose to spread their beliefs, they in essence are not spreading things that are known, but are assumed. And, assumptions are the mother of all F**k ups.
      This singular statement is ignorance in the extreme, considering it is in the OP.
      Because, your belief is for you to keep to yourself and do with as you choose. Should you choose to spout it as a truth or fact, is where you would then run into problems.
      Making assumptions and spouting them as truth or fact without any wisdom or evidence is where everything goes wrong. If you find it disrespectful, then I would suggest you evaluate your own actions before assesses other people's actions.
      Exactly, you base your assumption on hope absent of anything else.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

The ridiculous will be ridiculed. That is its proper treatment.

1. profile image57

christians will be ridiculed

that goes both ways ;-) hahah

3. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

because those who aren't Christians seem to gravitate toward religous forums, for what reason one can only guess, I'll keep my guess to myself, but then provocation happens.  Then once it does it just snowballs out of control.

The better question is, if you are a non-religous person why are you in forums related to religion at all?

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Could be the same reason why many believers often are members in science forums. wink

1. profile image57

non believers want to attempt to show wisdom

1. Beelzedad profile image59

What reason would they do that? It isn't really wisdom that is required here. smile

hey! I never go into science forums and tell people that evolution is against religion.......or the big bang is a friggin lie!! so there!!!! why ARE you here?

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Several reasons, really.  The first is that comments in the religious forums, like all the forums, appear on my forum activity, so those comments are, in essence, part of my HP world.

Another, and perhaps one of the most critical, is that religion is DEFINITELY part of my real world.  Whether it is religious people flying planes into buildings or just knocking on my door wanting to show me how naive I am, religion is part of life that I can't escape no matter how much I would like to. 

Religion gets behind political causes that I feel are horrifically unjust, primitive and hateful, denying rights to people and causing misery and suffering.  Religion gets behind causes to reduce freedom and to dictate how others should live, regardless of the religion or non-religion of those others. That is the sort of thing that I pay attention to.

In addition, some of the things some religions say are funny, but sometimes in a dangerous and backwards moving way, that many feel push society and culture back towards dark ages and grim times.  So, whether it's just some absurd comment about dinosaurs on an ark or something worse, well, the non-religious have an interest and a stake. 

Hopefully this answers your question to some degree.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great answer, and very well put.

2. profile image57

Shadesbreath wants to escape the Christians, so comes here to show wisdom

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like a duck in a shooting galery ....   or maybe a galery  on the duck???    I'm sooo confused!

2. Shadesbreath profile image77

I take it critical reading is not your strong suit.

3. RKHenry profile image64
        RKHenryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious why would anyone think that hubpages.com religious forum, would be a good source for finding out these controversial life/religious problems?  It's hubpages.

As for this non believer, I come into this forum to feel smarter and brighter, after a crappy day.smile

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

my suggestion to you--move to a communist country and you'll never hear religion AGAIN!!!

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

Really, can you name any religion free communist countries?

1. Cagsil profile image70

I would think it would be quite difficult to find any country anywhere on the planet where there is no religion whatsoever. So, I do agree with you, however, there are 4 billion people on the planet that believe in a god, not necessarily religion itself, so again, it would be quite difficult. lol lol

China doesn't allow bibles

1. Cagsil profile image70

May not allow bibles, but that doesn't negate a religion. wink

2. Beelzedad profile image59

So, even though there are some 4 million Roman Catholics, 10 million Protestants and up to 50 some million Christians, all confirmed from the Chinese Republic census, bibles are not allowed and you'll never hear religion again? Interesting. wink

3. alternate poet profile image67
              alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is not correct in any way.  There is no prohibition of bibles in China, I can go to my local book store and buy a copy.  There is a prohibition on importing them, so anyone entering China can bring their own without ANY restriction, but you cannot bring a boxfull.  This is because proselytising is illegal in China, religion is not illegal, just the advertising of it in public - you are allowed to discuss and do what you like with it in your own home.

There are many churches openly practicing in every city and in some towns without any problem.

Even in the heated babble of religious forums you should at least check out your information before making such comments.

3. Flightkeeper profile image68
            Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does Cuba still qualify now that the USSR is gone?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

Count for what, count for being communist or count for how many religions they have permeating their culture? 

Cuba has tons of Christians, especially Catholics, not to mention various iterations of voodoo and animistic traditions. All of which was still going on tacitly the entire time they were all officially "atheist."

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

AWESOME point!!

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Why do posts in the "Religion" forum become condescending word wars?

Because they are posted by condescending word warmongers?

1. profile image57

then why feed the forum?  Duh

5. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I think what the poster is actually talking about is those undeserving, condescending remarks that come in the form of jeering, sneering, & unprovoked.

What the poster says in regards to 'Gentleness & Respect' is the key. But when this 'gentleness & respect' form is used and a dagger is thrown anyway, that's when it's out of line.

I point out the obvious...it pisses me off when people ask or say stupid things!!!! (in any forum)LOL

Has anyone noticed MY comments????Are you afraid to respond?lol

I said to someone--move to a communist country if you hate Christians like duh?

I don't get it..........I think people just like to argue smile

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think that Communist countries do not have christians ?   check you information before posting - as you say "it pisses people off when you say stupid things"

6. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

I have been gone for some time. I've been running a west coast route from Portland Oregon to Blaine Washington up I 15 so I haven't been around in along time. I see much hasn't changed.

wars............because u like wars................that's why

there is hatred toward religion

and religion tries to stick up for itself or explain

and it goes from there

HATRED TOWARDS RELIGION...........................YET YOU CAN'T FIND A COMMUNIST COUNTRY TO LIVE IN

7. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Why do posts in the "Religion" forum become condescending word wars?"

It is the same with politics. It just seems to be the nature of our species.

finally a truthful answer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)