Best Website to Earn Money with Creative Writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (63 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MistHavenposted 14 years ago

I've struggled with this question for quite a while. I am a creative writer by heart, but I can't seem to find the best place to make money with Creative Writing online.

I know Triond lets you publish creative writing and earn money, but they way they make money is off of ads, I believe.

I'm guessing that websites like Bukisa or Associated Content would be better places to publish creative writing, because you get paid per page view. But I'm not sure.

So I'm wondering if anybody knows the best website to make money off of creative writing online?

1. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A little while ago I tried exploring this area and found a couple of sites which did claim to pay for the articles but when I signed up and read all the terms & conditions, all my excitement fizzled out. Would you like to know how much they were paying for an article of 500-600 words? No kidding....just 3-4 dollars. Those people give out attractive ads and have excellent websites. That should explain the rest. I still find HP a good place to write. You have the copyright to your stuff besides having an excellent community here. Good luck.

2. David Trujillo profile image51
      David Trujilloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bubblews used to be the best one. But in all honesty, this one remains the champion. I have recently reviewed another, it allows users to use Word Press just like they had their own blog.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

If anyone tells you please let me know as well. I am trying to find out the same thing. So please keep me updated if you find any good websites and if I find any I'll tell you. smile

3. profile image0

You got it!

4. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 14 years ago
  5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Making money from creative writing is a tough one. I, personally, would look more to places like Blurb.com than HP or Associated Content, Helium, Triond or the others. There are lots of sites for journalistic content or "how to" writing, but creative? That's tough.

6. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

The best place to make money on creative writing honestly is right here on HubPages, I have been to many but this site pays the best. smile

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I have learned. I was getting a bit impatient when I was new here, but I have learned that if you write some really good hubs, you can earn quite a bit of money.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You certainly can. smile

2. awsydney profile image60
        awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mel Gibson

Which one of your hubs made you some decent cash? I want to check those out. Please let me know! Thanks smile

2. marshall92 profile image66
      marshall92posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope you're right. I am fairly new here, and I haven't seen any earnings yet. Hopefully that changes in the near future : ).

3. Bard of Ely profile image79
      Bard of Elyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with AEvans!

7. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

I'd be interested to hear an answer to this as well.

One possibility that did occur to me is to self-publish through Lulu or a similar website and use HubPages to promote your book, by posting an excerpt with a link to buy the complete manuscript at the bottom.

8. profile image0

If going the self-publishing way, Authorhouse would be a good one. I have them saved because if I can't find an agent then I'm going that route to self publish my own books.

online it's hard NOT to find scams everywhere. sad Already was scammed myself with a litarary agency.

9. profile image0

After doing a little research, I'm starting to believe that Triond might be the best bet if trying to publish creative writing online and make a profit.

Originally, I though Triond only paid authors by splitting ad revenue. Apparently, Triond users are paid on a page-view basis as well.

Also, unlike Bukisa, Triond encourages writers to publish more forms of writing than just how-to articles.

I'm going to give Triond a shot and let you all know how it works out.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad you mentioned this.  I've been a "member" of Triond for ages, but I don't have anything on there; because there are only "so many" "informative-article-only" sites one person can contribute to.  smile  I didn't realize they even took creative writing stuff.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image76
        Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think they take a lot of things, and not just limited to writing, but music, videos, and other things as well. Your content, depending on what it is, is published over at different sites.

1. arunjain1989 profile image59
          arunjain1989posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are right..they have 20 different websites to publish the contents submitted by users...But I would like to know one thing as i ahve recently joined...does it really pays the lowest for creative writing?

That's what MistHaven says. I guess this thread will continue, and we'll find out for sure.

2. profile image0
            MistHavenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I asked over on the forums at Triond, and the consensus was that creative writing was the least profitable.

MistHaven wrote:

You are absolutely right.Its been 4 days and i have only earned 0.02$.

10. profile image0

Sounds good. thanks MistHaven. :-)

11. Choke Frantic profile image69
    Choke Franticposted 14 years ago

After reading this, I think I might give Triond a go. It'd be great to get paid for writing poems.

12. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

This sounds interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try with my short stories. Let us know how it goes.

13. arunjain1989 profile image59
    arunjain1989posted 14 years ago

I have recently signed up on triond as i will have to wait for six months for my google adsense publisher id.But i am getting very few views(only 10).I really dont know how to increase them.But yea if  someone has a good traffic that can really pay off.

14. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm at Triond and I don't remember them asking for a google adsense id, they pay on page views through your paypal or check.  You can see that once you publish on there, the adds are already up.  Right now they pay on the 10th of each month.

15. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

I've thought about giving Triond a go for a while now, since I was also interested in this idea.

16. profile image0

Triond might not be the way to go. I hear the payout for creative writing is the lowest amount on that site. Such a disapointment.

Shame, that. I also read that like the "HP split" (60/40)- HP takes 40% of your earnings, etc, Triond is 50/50. Not sure about this, though. I googled it, and it checks out.

1. awsydney profile image60
        awsydneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does this mean if I earn $10 from Google Adsense here, HP take $4??

17. sparksdaniel2000 profile image72
    sparksdaniel2000posted 14 years ago

I had the same question and thanks for asking.  I guess HubPages is the place to be!!! let me get on with another hub!

18. asalvani profile image60
    asalvaniposted 14 years ago

these are reliable to write for:

associated content
    squido
    bukisa
    helium

but hubpages is better design and you can rely on it more.

1. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm wih squidoo, and have only 8 lenses which have so far fetched me just a few bucks.
      I joined HP after Squidoo, and have not been able to go back there cos HP has become to me so addictive. I start off writing an article for Squidoo, but end up publishing it here instead.
      The earnings are better here IMO. smile
      I may go back to them after ive successfully published 100 hubs here. Such a task, but an interesting one if i may say so.
      I get tons of tips from hubbers. Something i feel is missing in Squidoo.

19. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

So this would be the best place to post my short stories? That seems to be the general consensus. I joined Triond but haven't done anything with it. I need to limit where and what I post. Otherwise I'll never keep up. Then theres always Nanowrimo in November and I still don't have a plot and...

I'm babbling.

@asalvani

I agree with you on HP, but Helium- not so sure. Most people only attempt this when they are more experienced. I once read a while back on these forums that Helium isn't one of the best sites to write on. There's been a lot of debate about this.

In fact several people on here have defected from Helium. I haven't ever become a writer there because of the things they had to say about it.

But, to each their own.

20. profile image53
    lorifayeposted 14 years ago

If anything do not take a class.  I find teachers are inspiration killers.  Try taking out one of your papers from high school that you thought was really great but the teacher gave you a "C" or lower and let an editor of your favorite magazine look it over.  You would be surprised.  Let your inspiration guide you.

21. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I think the best venue for creative writing is still print media, like journals, magazines, anthologies, etc.

If you start by sending your stuff out to 'Little Literary Magazines' (which is a category of magazine), you have a way better chance of getting some publications. Most of those only pay in copies, but if you do it half a dozen times, then you have some publications under your belt to note in a cover letter and can you can try publications that pay.

You can find lots of places to submit your creative writing, and also lots of contests and so on, and Poets & Writers online:

http://www.pw.org/

You can also go to open mike readings, self publish through Lulu.com or somewhere like that, and then sell your anthology or book at your readings.

These days, it's pretty tough to make any real money doing creative writing, but it's not impossible. Given that you have only a finite amount of time and energy, getting your stuff "out there" in front of live people and in print seems like a more profitable way to go. Check out Lita Sorensen's hub on it too:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Real-Life-101-P … or-Writers

Lita has a real 'job' job as a writer and she's also a published poet, so she's been there done that. You could email her to through her profile and I'm sure she'd have good advice for you.  Good luck! smile

1. profile image0

I haven't given print a try, and what you said makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely going to check those out.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck to you! It's not that hard to break into print, it's just tedious. I have one friend who sends the same batch of poems out to 12 journals at a pop, and sometimes you get 12 rejections, but eventually you start to get *hits*. smile

22. profile image0

Oh yes and I meant to say that, it's true, on websites like HP and Triond and so forth, creative writing pays the absolute worst. Honestly I think it's a waste of your time and talent to publish creative work online. Plus, if you are good, someone will steal it, send it out, and print publish it. Anything good on the net gets stolen over and over again. smile

23. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

The sites have different pay yes and you can have more than one acct with HP smile n generate $$ for both sites and whatever other sites you have. Put them together n that's how you will generate more $$ for youself.

24. Rynaldos profile image62
    Rynaldosposted 14 years ago

My vote would be helium.com

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps at one time, but not now.  Avoid Helium at all costs as its TOS changes regularly, and not for the good.  I picked up a publisher for short mystery stories at $50 a pop but now Helium frowns on members dealing directly with publishers because they can't get a piece of the action.  Besides, cretins run the site.

25. profile image0

Helium retains all rights to your material, that's what I don't like (besides the skinflint pay scale). You post something, it's theirs, and you can't take it down even if you want to. Most print publications only buy first rights--which means they get to publish it first, then you can republish it if you want if you cite where it first appeared.

The other thing that irritates me about Helium is that peer review system. Sometimes it works, other times it seems like the people reviewing articles aren't even reading them. I quit writing for Helium as I think they're kind of exploitive. I don't like the way they set things up over there.

I agree with your assessment.  The rating system is terrible as they allow raters with no idea of grammar or spelling to judge articles.  I no longer write there as I was banned from the site for revealing the stewards were not "unpaid volunteers" as they claimed but were paid every month.  Also the stewards have privileges including direct rating allowing them to manipulate the ranking of certain articles, including those competing with their own.  This may explain the high number of contests and marketplace articles won by the stews.  Of course they kept my 109 articles and still feature them on the site.  No money for me as they keep everything my articles earn now.

1. profile image0

Wow, I always suspected that the stewards were kind of manipulating things. I mean, they did seem to win the contests all the time, and it wasn't always obvious why. I won third place in a contest when I first joined and then never again. I noticed over time that this seemed to be a pattern. A new person would win every so often, but rarely more than once or twice.

I really disliked how you had to write an article for marketplace and then just hope it was picked for payment. That seemed screwed to me--all to their benefit and none to the writer's benefit.

The censorship of members complaints and posts on the forums is terrible.  I was the subject of a thread on the private stewards forum for a while until I let them know I was monitoring it through a "deep throat" insider.  The stewards are told to talk up any new changes the members disagree with and are called the "Helium cheerleaders by many members.  Some stewards quit after finding out others were getting paid for the same work they were doing for free.

I knew they would boot me for making them apologize for the deceptions, but it was well worth it!

1. profile image0

The weirdest thing is, you aren't even the only person I've met through Hub Page got kicked off of Helium--and always over the payment and policy stuff, never over bad language or spam or anything.

Sounds like they should just call it Heysucker.com! lol

I reported them to the Better Business Bureau but they would not respond to them about the charges I made against them.  Now I find one of my mystery stories for sale as a Kindlebook on Amazon.com.  It has my name on it but I still get nothing.

1. profile image0

That totally blows. sad

2. profile image0

After reading this, I'm definitely NOT writing for helium. It's pretty much a gamble, and I don't like wasting my time for no reason. That's why I stopped writing for Constant Content. Granted I only wrote one article, but it took me 2 whole days to research, write and proofread that monster, and then it didn't get picked up.

So I just posted it here instead smile

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Constant Content is a GREAT resource, its true it is a gamble, but the payouts can be huge..with a little tweaking you can quickly write articles for all the better sites, just always remembering not to put in more effort than the site is worth

for example i still use associated content but i spend no more than 15 minutes writing an article and i always include my own sites as research links

My order:

Hubpages: (not necessarily the very best for payment, but has the best combined benefits)

demand studios/eHow

constant content

associated content

i actaully just gone done explaining my expereinces/processes with each of these sites in my latest hub...so was a bit surprised to see this forum topic

26. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

You don't rate HP very high then??

I see examiner.com on Forums quite a lot. There are some Hubbers who are doing well with it. I think its based in America. You might want to check it out.

27. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Hubpages is first and foremost the best site for making money online in my experience.  The examiner.com is coming in second for me, and if I wrote on there every day I would definitely make more.  However, I am very picky about my articles there and most are crafting how-to's, which take time to put together.  However, when I do post there I feel their monetizing is very fair.  Ehow is the third best as it grows slowly over time, but pay out comes if you have a few good articles there.  Squidoo has really not done much for me and I probably should put more time in there, but to be honest I just do not see the point.  I would rather put in my extra time over at ehow and examiner where I do see more immediate pay-offs.

28. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yep glad we have hubpages.
    I would like to see how many times you could double your income if you wrote commercial hubs here on hubpages Pam!

I love your hubs, but I don't buy from them! My hubs are very non commercial too, as I write as you do about things that interest me.
    Maybe you already do as I have started to do, write commercial hubs under another hubpage profile.

I am building it with keywords to attract tourism ads in my own country.
    You are a top writer, with real humor and sassy to boot, I reckon you could really take off commercially on hubpages if you haven't already! smile

1. profile image0

Thanks Earnest! I should do that, I really should. Nelle Hoxie does well with them too. I don't have a second account here, I just write about what interests me. But I should think harder about what I could earn with commercial hubs. I say I will do it, and then I always put it off. I'm glad yours are going well! Best of luck!

29. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Well the money is one thing but being able to trust the people you are dealing with means a lot to me.  When people from the upper levels are lying to you about simple problems it makes one wonder about the important aspects of the site.

Helium does not give any breakdown of the page views received from one's articles, no clicks, no percentage, no nothing.  You are at their mercy.  i did notice my articles were featured more since they didn't have to share the revenue with me anymore, sheer coincidence I'm sure. 

Also, if you don't have a rating star at the end of the month you do not receive any page view money your articles have earned for that month.  You earn nothing for your work and Helium keeps the whole thing.  Not surprising that some lose their rating star at the last moment and get no pay.

The rating system is a joke.

30. mirajraha profile image60
    mirajrahaposted 14 years ago

for all those who want to try out Triond,please give me their names,I'll check your stuff,also I heard staying there since Feb that articles gets more traffic than poetry.sad for me though as i am strictly into poetry.

I am on triond and have submitted 2 poems there but it is not working for me.I am still waiting for my adsense to get approved.

31. GusTheRedneck profile image60
    GusTheRedneckposted 14 years ago

Hello PGrundy:  You wrote - "I reported them to the Better Business Bureau but they would not respond to them about the charges I made against them.  Now I find one of my mystery stories for sale as a Kindlebook on Amazon.com.  It has my name on it but I still get nothing."

It is a criminal offense to steal someone's copyrighted writing, but you can't follow that route unless you registered the copyright.  The BBB is not going to do anything for you.  You can check on copyright stuff via the Library of Congress on the Web, for example, using Google or another search engine.

If you want to verify that the book is really of your own production, you might consider buying a copy and go on from there. Whereas suing a vendor in a civil court action would cost you lots of money, you do not pay for criminal proceedings, and copyright stuff fits into that category in a theft situation.

Good luck.

32. Hui (蕙) profile image61
    Hui (蕙)posted 8 years ago

I don't think any website can help a lot to make money for writing, but they can help to publicise.

33. profile image50
    illenaposted 7 years ago

Yes, you can try at Redgage.  I am also a creative writer. Initially, I faced similar problems but my circle has provided me the reference fo this site and since more than one year I am sending my writings here and earning good side income.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)