Have you Categorized Your Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Trsmd profile image58
    Trsmdposted 15 years ago

Just few hours back when I Logged In I got the message that my Hubs have not been categorized..

Have you did that and what are all the benefits by doing so? Will it increase the traffic?

2. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I've done most of mine, but I found there are still a few categories such that I would like added, so those have not be categorized. Many of mine I just grouped as they were already group categorized them so that the groups I already had set were all just put in one category, because it would be a long and drawn out process of properly categorizing them... I don't have the time or want to place over 400 hubs in proper sub and mini categories...

As for the benefit, I've been wondering that as well. I read the blog posted about the new update and the original thread, and the only thing I can gather is that it will help people better find hubs related to that topic when searching on HP. I'm not sure if it will help outside traffic, though.

1. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Same question here? Maybe someone from HP can explain.

1. larryfreeman profile image77
        larryfreemanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Everyone,

From my view, there are two advantages to categorizing:

(1)  More content-specific links which over time, we believe will help traffic.

(2)  Easier navigation from hub to hub

So that web traffic can be more easily shared between hubs.

We are planning some additional features to the HubPages site to promote categories.  You should see these additions in the next few weeks.

-Larry

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

I finished categorizing all mine tonight (some last night).  I noticed that I got tons of red arrows (but then last night I was categorizing straight from "My Account", rather than using the feature designed specifically for that; so I was wondering if my own clicks on my own stuff was what made it look like my traffic had gone up).  Of course, I'm very bad about keywords (because I can't be bothered thinking of them when I'm writing, and because once the thing is done I'm not one to go back and try to figure out how to squeeze them in), so there's the chance that the categorizing did what lack of adequate keywords had not yet done for my stuff.

Anyway, for some reason, I went from not having many red arrows for a few days to having a ton of them.

4. Denny Lyon profile image59
    Denny Lyonposted 15 years ago

Yes, I've been a very obedient girl child - all done! only had 30...

5. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

Just finished with mine.

6. SweetiePie profile image80
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I finally finished mine, but I feel like I keep discovering new and better categories smile.

7. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I may be wrong but I suspect that HP is doing something like this on today.com If you look at a today blog such as this one :-) http://travelover30s.today.com you will see a read more travel blogs in the top right - the category changes depending on the category of the blog.

On today I don't care as I am only paid for traffic not direct revenue. But on hubpages I would really prefer that readers exited via an ad ....

8. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I finally finished categorizing all my hubs and I must say it gave me a greater appreciation for what I have written up to this point. It took me about 3 1/2 days to complete.

I think as you start to categorize you will notice that it gets easier plus you will start to see new sub categories that fit better than the ones you previously chose. That is what happened to me. So it really is a help in getting more organized.

As far as more traffic goes I am sure that having everyones subjects and topics in a easy reference will increase traffic in the long term.

9. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 15 years ago

I just finished mine.
    Only had 31 so I REALLY feel for you Hubbers with lots of Hubs.
    It's a bit tedious to start with, but once I got the hang of it, it went a lot faster.
    BTW, if I have any tip here, it's use the search function.
    That helped me out a lot in getting the Hubs in the right category.

10. JKSophie profile image68
    JKSophieposted 15 years ago

Done with it smile Good thing I only have less than 30 hubs.

11. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

I am doing this while editing a hub. I did it for some of mine.

Jyoti kothari

12. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

I categorized one hub since it kept being put in a fitness category. Everyone knows I don't do fitness, but there are those who might wander over and think I might have some valuable insight on achieving good health, and they might've gotten mad about being mislead. Besides, they have plenty of other things to get mad at me for.

13. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

All done!  And I too feel for people with Hundreds of Hubs to categorize.  That can be some tedious stuff yikes

14. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I'm working on it. I think I'm going to take an internet break tomorrow so I'll keep plugging away at it Monday !

15. profile image0
    artspeckposted 15 years ago

I've just finished doing all of mine, it only took a very short while, as Hub Pages kindly helped greatly with their suggestion box for each of your hubs.
    Thank you for the continuing improvement to the site.
    Art

16. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 15 years ago

All done. But some categories don't exactly fit the topics, either too general/broad or off the mark. I worked as an indexer before and we used the US Library of Congress indexing manual so.... cool

17. palinco profile image60
    palincoposted 15 years ago

How do i categorize my hubs and how do I earn through my hubs?
    Am  new to this site.

1. Cris A profile image59
      Cris Aposted 15 years agoin reply to this

you should see the tool on the upper part of the HubPages interface when you log in. Or you can do so in the edit mode. The tool can be found where you put the title and you make the tags. It's a drop down window and you are provided with suggested headings/categories for your hub's topic. As in a hub on movie/s would call for Entertainment - Movies etc...

Join the affiliate programs by/for Google Adsense, Amazon etc. Hope this helps  cool

18. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

I got through all 100+ while watching a movie on cable tv at my friend's house, using her spare laptop.  I felt the process went rather quickly, but I think some of the category assignments and associations make no sense compared to how the majority of the world thinks.

Hi Relache,

Thanks for your feedback.  Based on your experience, are there any categories that you would like to see added?

Thanks,

-Larry

19. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Larry,

As someone who has engaged in tattooing and piercing and the study of such practices for over twenty years, I'd just like to say that I find that body art is listed as "arts & crafts" to be entirely ridiculous and inappropriate.

And whoever made the sub-categories for Pagan holidays doesn't have the faintest idea what those holidays are or how some have multiple names.

Hi Relache,

I agree with you that the Art category is not the best fit in Arts & Crafts.  Categories are never perfect.

We opened the categories for group discussion a few weeks ago and this was the result that emerged.  If you look at all the categories, I believe that Body Art fits better in Arts & Crafts than in any of the other categories.

I appreciate your feedback on the Pagan Holidays.  I put together the list of Pagan holidays.  Please let me know your corrections and I am glad to update the list of Pagan Holidays.

-Larry

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There are eight major and minor Sabbats in the modern Pagan/Wiccan calendar but owing to many traditions falling under those umbrella terms, they have multiple names.

October 31 - Samhain, All Hallow's Eve
        December 21 - Yule, Winter Solstice
        February 2 - Imbolc, Candlemas
        March 21 - Ostara, Spring/Vernal Equinox
        May 1 - Beltane, May Day
        June 21 - Litha, Summer Solstice
        July 31 - Lughnasadh, Lammas
        September - Mabon, Autumnal/Fall Equinox

Hi Relache,

This is great!  I've corrected the Pagan Holidays!  smile

I also moved Body Art under Fashion & Beauty.

Please let me know if you have more feedback on the current categories.

Cheers,

-Larry

1. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Spectacular!  Body art really is about the body (like hair, nails, tanning, etc) and not arts & crafts (macaroni collages, knitting, painting, etc).

The only other issues I've had with categories is where the best way to describe the hub would be "shopping."   No topics really seem to have a slot that best addresses that angle.

Hi Relache,

Cool.  I'm glad you agree with placing Body Art in Beauty & Fashion.

Since almost everything involves shopping, I had trouble justifying a "Shopping" top-level category.

In general, my assumption is that a shopping hub would be categorized by what you are shopping for.

The closest we have to a general shopping category is:
              Personal Finance/Frugal Living/Bargain Shopping

-Larry

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I found this pretty funny, myself... I didn't think that 'body art' had much to do with arts and crafts, much less arts really... I see in the widest spectrum why it would go under arts, but it's just pretty silly to have tattoos, piercings, scarring, etc. in this category.

Also, Larry why is there a category for 'body art' and then a separate sub-category for 'body art' under the initial 'body art' category?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The choice we have to make for body art was between "arts & crafts" and "fashion & beauty".  I guess I'd lean more toward putting it in fashion & beauty, but there are an abundance of tough decisions to make when putting things into a hierarchy.

Fortunately, we have the flexibility to gradually improve the organization of our categories as time goes on.  The only hard thing to do is to delete a category altogether, since that would de-categorize all the hubs in it (or move them up one step).  We consider all feedback we get, so please do continue to help us improve.

Thanks for the suggestions.  smile  I have moved Body Art under Fashion & Beauty.

-Larry

2. larryfreeman profile image77

Hi Whitney05,

Thanks for noticing about "body art" being under "body art".  I've removed the child "body art" so that all "body art" is in one place.

-Larry

20. Hope Wilbanks profile image67
    Hope Wilbanksposted 15 years ago

I categorized my 130+ a few days ago. It didn't take as long as I expected it to. smile

21. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Confession time: YES I categorized all my hubs. . . but some of them just sorta got tucked away neatly in odd corners, for reasons I may not now be totally sure of, and if you were to ask me how some of them ended up where they did. . . I might not really know.
    (But they're categorized.)

22. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

This seems to be appropriate, larry.
    Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)