Advertising Your Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    CultureCurmudgeonposted 10 years ago

Who has successfully used this site? How did you do it? I'm trying to avoid inundating my friends on FB and Twitter with "Hey, check out my site!" types of statuses (because I feel it's kind of rude), but I also am having a hard time figuring out what else to do in regards to promoting.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image90
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I used to try to push my stuff, now I only post on facebook if I think my friends will be interested. I pin on Pinterest, but that is about it. I think most of that time was really wasted. The best links are natural ones. I think the time is better spent creating new content.
      Not that I am exactly successful, but things are looking up.

2. Tolovaj profile image89
      Tolovajposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Promotion can always look pushy and creating new (related) content is the way to go but some kind of promotion is a must. If you have huge following on any social platform, share your stuff. This is why social platforms are made. Without that you can still drive traffic to your hubs but it can take more time.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I use Scoop.it, Facebook and Twitter. Scoop.it posts the links to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and LinkedIn at once.

1. kevinfream profile image70
        kevinfreamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I used a similar service for a while, but have stopped and disconnected any linked services other than my blog which posts to my favorite social platforms.

You really need content that matches for the platform like graphics for Tumblr. Most Tweets and Facebook posts are not appropriate for LinkedIn. If we're all spewing the same stuff to every social platform, then it's just self-promotion spam.

My twitter feed is a daily update from a third-party in our industry and then a weekly post from my blog. If you do the same approach with all social platforms, it definitely takes more time but you're infinitely more interesting and relevant (without constant self-promotion).

4. Shinkicker profile image57
      Shinkickerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Facebook groups aren't too bad because you can post Hubs that are relevant and people may be interested (e.g Jazz music, TV Cop shows, Politics, whatever) Don't expect spectacular results though, unless other people share your Hub.

5. agilitymach profile image97
      agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Create a Facebook Fan Page.  This is NOT your personal page, but a "business" page for your writing.  I have one with 1,200 followers who have joined specifically to be notified of when I post a new hub.  They are there to read my work alone. I post on it about once a week with my latest hub or an older hub that my newer followers have never seen.  It's where most of my traffic originates.  I only very rarely post my hubs on my own personal page, so my friends aren't inundated with my work.  If they want to follow me, they join my fan page.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have a Facebook fan page for my HubPages articles. I also sometimes post the link to one of my hubs on StumbleUpon or Twitter.

7. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're right - you definitely don't want to promote your hubs to your family, friends or other hubbers (so many hubbers make this mistake and it's such a waste of time!). You can rely solely on search traffic, which is what I do, or if you want to attract social traffic as well you need to have a good long think about where your audience hangs out online and then learn the ins and outs of how to use those spaces properly. Start with one, e.g. facebook, learn that then move onto the next.

The other thing I should say, is that if your hubs are really good other people will promote them on social networks for you, saving you a lot of hassle!

8. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why is that rude?  People want other people to read their posts, that is the whole point of Facebook.  If they don't want to read it, they can choose to ignore it.  But I do not think it is rude to say, "Check out my site."

1. Ronwan profile image61
        Ronwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mayeb it is not rude, but it can be annoying if you get 5-6 of these posts smile

2. WriteAngled profile image69
        WriteAngledposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I want to keep in touch with the lives of people I friend on Facebook, learn about their opinions, joys, problems, concerns and experiences, not be subjected to constant advertisements for everything they publish.

I get very irritated if all I see is a long stream of links to people's articles, even more irritated than I get by all the endlessly regurgitated crap from Upworthy, Viranova and similar places.

I usually end up muting or unfriending people who do this to me.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about you, but if my friends start spamming me with stuff like that I stop following them.  That is one reason why I use a pen name here and have separate social media accounts for that name.  So anyone following "psyche" knows what they are getting into.

4. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Like others are saying, a stream of advertisements to read stuff my friends or family wrote is irritating, and I will unfriend them if they spam me with it.  It's bad enough already, with FB's new spam tactics, that I'm considering dropping FB even though I really do enjoy the contact with my close friends and family. 

Very occasionally I will stick a link to a hub that I think most of my contacts would enjoy reading (and half the time it isn't mine).  And honest opinion that they will like it, not an attempt to earn a penny or two.  If they want more, they can always follow my HP account.

You might want to start a page on FB solely to promote your work, and ask if your friends wish to follow that page.  Some time ago several hubbers promoted such an idea and I built a page for that.  It never did much, if anything, for my hubs and I've let it languish, but you might look at this page and see if it is something you could work into your hub promotion.
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Imp … 660?ref=hl

9. davidlivermore profile image85
      davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Others have already suggested the two I use, but here goes anyways.

Pinterest, but I don't use it just for HP.  I throw my hubs into various categories, but pin a lot of other images as well.  It's worked out well.  I have seen some hubbers use Pinterest just for their hubs, and it obviously looks like one, big ad.  I try to mix it up so it doesn't look like that.  Best part is that I actually enjoy pinning images.

StumbleUpon as well.  It's easy to add, and can generate some hits.  Plus it's a fun way to kill some time.  I even made a list to hold all of my hubs, and it can get followers that way.  I know it may seem a way to advertise, but it points people directly to the articles I write.  Though people aren't focused on your profile as much on StumbleUpon.

Word of mouth works too.  I talk to people I know about my writing.  Instead of just referring them to my hubs.  I tell them to go to hubpages and search for my name.  I can advertise my hubs without being too pushy.  Plus I like to talk about writing.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter.  At all.  If I did, it would be just for my hubs.  I don't see the point at all.

2. Ronwan profile image61
    Ronwanposted 10 years ago

I have just a few published Hubs and do no promotion at all, still I get a couple of views daily, most from Google.

From what I have understood, the more Hubs you publish, the more views your Hubs will get, so that's the way I choose. Seems to work!!

3. Danida profile image81
    Danidaposted 10 years ago

I post my articles to StumbleUpon and just started a Twitter so hopefully they'll bring in some traffic.

1. sallybea profile image82
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I use Pinterest and Twitter  to promote my Hubs.  I seldom use Facebook.

4. Moon Daisy profile image79
    Moon Daisyposted 10 years ago

Yes, I didn't want to inundate my friends either.  When other people try to post links like that on Facebook I don't like it.  It seems like they just want to be friends so that they can promote their stuff, and send me their spam!  I don't like to be used in that way.

If you write lots of good hubs then they will show up on Google searches, and then you will get traffic that way.  From the experiences of others, links in Twitter, Facebook or other sites just provide temporary traffic, or not much at all.

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

I do nothing and 99% of visitors to my pages come from Google searches.  Sometimes people find my articles and share them on Facebook, which is really cool and appreciated, but I don't advertise my articles myself.

You write on topics that people definitely search for, so with time I think you will get more hits from Google.

6. Jai Warren profile image68
    Jai Warrenposted 10 years ago

The new big thing in 2014 is Google+. By posting on Google+, you will add a little juice to your search ranking. Stumbleupon is a great site to get traffic. Just be reasonable when posting to FB and twitter...

1. ChicagoPhotos profile image70
      ChicagoPhotosposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We all know google owns google+ , so it should not come to as a surprise that google will push google+ accounts higher in the search results than say....  FB or Linkedin.   I'm pretty sure Google could free fall for 3 years and not run out of capital,so the idea that something can gain as much spread as google -search-google+ is  quite a far reach.   

Once you get a grasp of authoring, you will then realize the full extent of what a google + page can do in the coming months. the whole look, feel and reach of FB will look like Child's play compared to the reach your G+ page will have.   

History shows, If I'm wrong,  google will roll it into something else, If I'm right then wouldn't you be glad you posted on it earlier that later?     

net neutrality is crucial, but until then, run with the biggest dog in the park.

7. jheldt profile image64
    jheldtposted 10 years ago

i use pinging services, youtube videos, other sites (such as ezine, although i havent yet, i was doing that when I was on squidoo), twitter, facebook, pinterest, Digg (you can submit sites to there and it will help) you can create a facebook page and then post stuff on there and have people like it as well.

8. WriterJanis profile image90
    WriterJanisposted 10 years ago

I have had some success with Pinterest.

9. Amariah profile image59
    Amariahposted 10 years ago

Hello,

As per my thinking the best way to promote our is to follow each other on hubpages that can get more preview to your hub and that preview can help you to promote your hubs on google and other powerful search engines.

10. Alphadogg16 profile image81
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I use twitter, pinterest and some groups/communities in Facebook and Google, I found this site that gives you followers for pinterest, and it works pretty well.....https://pinwoot.com/?r=6776  but like Psycheskinner said, I post social networks sparingly as I am not trying to annoy anyone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)