What is your average processing time for publishing a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (54 posts)
  1. INFJay profile image79
    INFJayposted 11 years ago

What is your average processing time for publishing a hub?

From the moment you get an idea for a hub to the moment you click on publish, what is your average processing time (including research, drafting, editing, etc.)?

2. To Start Again profile image71
    To Start Againposted 11 years ago

Depending on the hub and what's going on around the house, it could take anywhere from an hour or two to a few days.

I'd say the average is probably about a day and a half.

INFJayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is also an issue for me, the "what's going on around the house" always impacts my writing.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

On average I spend less than two hours on a Hub. I get an idea, I look up any detains I might need, find the graphics I want to use and then write. I probably should spend more time proofreading, but once I am finished, I like to let it go. Sometimes, it takes longer, but never more than carrying over to the next day.

Have you discovered errors on hubs you didn't spend much time proofreading after publication?

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have, but proofreading has always been a weak spot for me. I can read something 10 times, but not discover the errors in print. Having cataract surgery next week, might improve.

4. susi10 profile image87
    susi10posted 11 years ago

For a really good quality hub, it could take me two days, an hour or two each day. However, after a while you will get faster and faster at publishing good quality hubs.

I agree, quality hubs do take time to generate.

5. Patriot Quest profile image60
    Patriot Questposted 11 years ago

30 minutes to an hour, I never look for a photo untill I'm done so I can read it over and look for a pic that depicts the mood.  I have never gone overnight without finishing one

If I understand you correctly, once you get an idea for a hub you can get it all done within an hour? including photos?

2. TheKatsMeow profile image88
      TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whoa that's impressive!

6. Sue Bailey profile image65
    Sue Baileyposted 11 years ago

Anything up to a week really.  I don't get these people who say they can write a hub in an hour or less.  Or ten in a week.  Do they actually research or anything?  Or maybe it's me that doesn't think quickly enough.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you are saying. I tend to write hubs on topics where I have previous experience, so the researched time is reduced. If you are approaching an unfamiliar topic, it will take more time.

2. INFJay profile image79

I agree. I can get a hub finished in about 6 to 8 hours but that is often spread out over weeks and sometimes months!

3. sparkleyfinger profile image83
      sparkleyfingerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have written hubs from the top of my head in an hour or so, but they have been on topics where I have had  life experience, so I didn't need to research much at all..

7. easylearningweb profile image80
    easylearningwebposted 11 years ago

Whenever I get an idea for a hub, I add it to my list of ideas which is a document that I keep, so I don't forget. I have quite a long list and when I have some time, I work on one at a time, and I compose it in Microsoft Word, adding notes about what pictures I want to include along the way. In some cases, if I am traveling, I'll take pictures for a future hub. If it's a recipe, that takes a bit more planning, and I'll take pictures while I'm cooking. Once the hub article is spell-checked, polished and ready in Word, I'll create the hubpage. So I would say the prep time varies but on average may be several days (a couple hrs. each day for organizing and preparation) and sometimes up to a week depending on the topic; then for assembling the hubpage on hubpages, once I have the content and pictures ready, that may take an hour or two, depending on how picky I am before I publish it.

Hope that helps!

Happy Hub Writing. :-)

1. Sue Bailey profile image65
      Sue Baileyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I too have a long list of ideas.  You seem to work in pretty much the same way as me.  Even if the subject is one I know; I tend to check and double check the facts.

2. INFJay profile image79

Thanks for answering my question. I find the methods you've described to be very helpful even though it make take some time to achieve a final product.

8. Thomas Swan profile image94
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

Usually 2 or 3 days from start to finish. Total work time is usually between 4-10 hours in total.

I tend to put my ideas on a list called "hub ideas". I then come back to them later and pick one to write about.

The "hub ideas" is an excellent one and I'm using a similar method.

9. Abby Campbell profile image70
    Abby Campbellposted 11 years ago

It takes me a lot longer than I had realized. LOL. I've been keeping better track lately to gauge how much time I need. I generally like to begin and finish a hub in one sitting.

I'll start with looking up "Hub Exclusives" to see if there may be anything I want to write about. If not, I'll come up with my own topics. I usually spend about a half hour per week looking up topics and choose approximately 4 titles for a two week period.

As I write each hub, I'll initially spend approximately 15-30 minutes looking up keywords on Google Adwords as well as public domain pictures.

Then I spend about 5-15 minutes setting up my hub with pictures, videos, polls, quizzes, maps, etc. This will give me ideas on how to break down my topic into sub-topics as well as form my excerpt.

Just with that, I'm spending anywhere from 50-75 minutes with setup. Once that's completed, my thoughts are more organized and I can spend the next 2-4 hours on research and writing.

With keeping track of my time on hub writing, I now know that I spend about 3-4 hours on completing a hub from beginning to end. Sometimes, it may take me longer depending on the topic. However, I would like to get my time down to 3 hours or less so that I can get back to writing published book material.

I've discovered it takes me way longer too!

10. NornsMercy profile image59
    NornsMercyposted 11 years ago

I'm really happy to know that I'm not the only person who can spend a couple days on one hub. smile It's odd for me to get one done in a single day (8-10 hours). I usually take ~16 hours...

You are not alone! Takes me about the same amount of time but usually over a few weeks or month.

11. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 11 years ago

Usually it takes me several hours. I normally add several text modules and write the content for these as well as possible in the first draft. After that its a case of moving modules around, rewording the content and correcting grammar and spelling mistakes. If I'm writing a guide, I try to take my own photos, so this takes a lot longer because everything has to be setup. I'm not a professional photographer by any means, but I like to ensure that lighting is good and photos are sharp and in focus. Then the photos have to be downloaded, cropped and touched up. If I use public domain or CC photos, it can often take some time  to find an appropriate image. Sometimes I have to create diagrams.
    If I add Amazon or eBay adds, I usually pick and choose what products appear on a hub so this takes up some time also.
    Finally I add backlinks on Twitter, Stumbleupon, Redgage, Facebook, Reddit etc.
    I continually edit hubs to improve the layout and text or add more keywords.

Good point about editing hubs after publication. I didn't take that into account.

12. mactavers profile image93
    mactaversposted 11 years ago

I believe it depends on too many factors for there to be any "right" answer.  Do you take your own photos or just copy?  Is the Hub a fictional story or does it require research?  How long is the Hub?  A writing teacher of mine told me long ago that writing is like baking bread.  Give it some flour, sugar and yeast and then work it, but be sure to allow time for the dough to rest and rise.  In other words, write with your finest ideas and then allow time for additional thoughts and revisions.

Thanks for responding to my question. You are correct that it depends on numerous factors and, thus, there will be no "right" answer. However, I want to get a feel for the various processes writers take for publishing their hub.

13. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

Great Question INFJay! It varies immensely. I wrote a myth-buster hub when I first started publishing. I kept reading to be successful hubs would have to be written from 1 - 3 hours. So, I gave the 1 hour version a try and wrote about. I think is so.

Then I have a project hub I have been working on a little while. The first hub published was 03/05. A series of Free eBooks testing waters. Still not done with the project.

I am currently working on a hub I started around 04/27 with the publication of another Free eBook. I am seeking to share the method of measuring hub performance. I was on the burner too long so turned the heat down. Other life stuff. Maybe next week I will publish toward the weekend or so.

Otherwise, I post hubs on the weekend. Average is probably 6 hours with the keep going back to nudge it his way and that way, editing, and the darn I forgot this or that.

Thanks for asking and I like the T-shirt! eBay? or elsewhere? Just kidding . . .

tim

14. Georgie Lowery profile image88
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

Lately, I'll work on a Hub off and on for a few days. The most recent Hubs I've published took about a week each.

15. bredies profile image60
    brediesposted 11 years ago

2 days max.  Usually within a few hours.
    And apparently this answer is too short.
    The question could have a 2 word answer.  I see no reason to elaborate other than to satisfy Hub Page's (I could have abbreviated that to HP but might have been banned for life!) rather silly requirements sometimes.
    I don't want to be pedantic (in case Hub Pages offers me a position) but saying that "Your answer is too short.  Please make it longer." is nonsense.
    We all know that less is more.
    However based on the response to my answer, responding to your question, I am going to review my answer and make it two week from conception of an idea to hitting the publish button.
    Anything shorter would clearly be in breach of Hub Pages' terms of service.
    Actually make that 2 weeks and 4 days.
    hope that is long enough.

16. Sapphireid profile image61
    Sapphireidposted 11 years ago

Hello there Infjay,

As a writer in general, I provide my writings in many different avenues, so writing a Hub article comes easy (Thank God). So, the time that it takes me to publish a post, after I complete it (including the drafting, editing & researched info), is within minutes to an hour, all depending on what type of article or post it is. I've received many different accolades for my writings, including for being great with being clear, concise, straight-to-the-point, humorous & transparent. And, now that I've joined the Published Author reigns, I'm looking forward to enjoying my love for the craft of writing, ever so much longer as I age!

17. ixwa profile image80
    ixwaposted 11 years ago

I have been writing Hubs for four or so years, and I have published a few in that time-period. My Hubs are dictated-to me by my topic, and to be honest with you, one Hub, for me, takes "Months", many months, and I put all I have in one hub. If you were to chek out some of my hubs, they are very "long" and involved. Anyway, I admire people who take a few hours or weeks, and wish I could, but the writer in me, too, always 'double-checks' on me, and until I can assuage that feeling in terms of each Hub I write, I can never take a month or less, but many, many months on end. Well, I do it because it gives me the satisfaction that I have covered all the ground I need to go over and sort of achieved my goal and aim; and, in the end and the strangest part about it is that I keep on going back to those Hubs, and redo them, add or proof-edit/reading them, many times over their life-span. Well, that is not making me much money, but it gives me the satisfaction that I have really done what I set out to, as dictated to me by my chosen topics. Now, for the years I have been here, I should be having hundreds of Hubs, instead, I have less than that, but very "l-o-n-g"/ lengthy and involved articles.. Well, I think in the end, I end up being happy, and the earnings, that is another story I would rather not discuss-but it is negligible. Yet, proof-reading and editing  or adding any one of them is a much faster action and it takes me less than an hour to do that for the whole Hub.. I thought I should add that in answering your question above...

18. TheKatsMeow profile image88
    TheKatsMeowposted 11 years ago

Great question! I feel that it takes me far too long to get a hub done. I am constantly going back and adding things and before I know it, maybe 3 days have passed (not continuously working on it, but putting a lot of time and effort) sometimes I will think about a hub topic for a few weeks and which direction I want to take it in, I might write some notes down and come back to it every now and then. I would love to pump out a hub in an hour or two, but I just don't think I will ever be able to do it and it be very good. I really admire the people who can write a hub in a few hours.

19. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

It really depends on the subject. I have some that I have written in less than an hour and I got a Rising Star award for one of those. I also have a couple; historical fiction, that took hours of research and then wrote in about 2 hours. I always leave them for a day when I am finished with them. Then go back and proof for typo's, misspellings, and unclear thoughts. That delay will bring your initial hub score up 5-10 points. Looking for photos and adding all the little pieces in will take between fifteen minutes and 1/2 an hour.

20. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

I have published a hub in one day - something short or a subject that I have all the research done, recipes etc.  Others can take up to a week, depending on how much time I have to commit to writing.  I know if I rush and do not give myself space for review and editing I always need to go back and fix errors, so I prefer to wait at least 24 hours.

21. somethgblue profile image71
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

About a week, I usually pick a topic, research it and then write for about three days.

22. Muttface profile image80
    Muttfaceposted 11 years ago

A week if I have the pictures.
    For two of my hubs I didn't have pictures and had to scour the net. I found ones I liked and asked permission to use them so that added on another week before they answered.
    Only one of them them I wrote in four hours, but that is unlikely to happen again.

23. AlexK2009 profile image80
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

Once the research is done an average of 4 hours. 

Research can take a day or two, spread over  say a week.

Thinking  and incubating: a couple of days.

So on average a week, les sif the idea pops into my head fully formed.

24. Express10 profile image78
    Express10posted 11 years ago

If I have a lot of experience on the subject it usually takes less than two or three hours, these are typically the topics I prefer to write about on HP. Other subjects that require some research can take longer, stretching across a day or several days depending on my schedule and other priorities.

25. carlajbehr profile image82
    carlajbehrposted 11 years ago

Due to my full-time job, I'm producing about one hub a week, sometimes two.  I often write or research on my lunch hour.   I'm very careful about proper research and citing my sources and I reread and edit many times.  I am more concerned with creating quality over quantity and my writing is very personal to me.   If I could work straight through on a hub, I am unsure how long it would take as I am picking away at a hub usually for days at a time and so come together easier than others.

26. profile image60
    ElleBeeposted 11 years ago

All depends on the type of Hub, the necessary research for the Hub, and what resources I have on hand to complete that research....

27. phtech profile image76
    phtechposted 11 years ago

Anywhere from 2 hours to a couple days (because of procrastination). I find myself happier with the hubs I knock out in a few hours also.

28. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image63
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 11 years ago

I first plan some ideas, then take note of the topic on a separate diary.  I have even set a dead line for finishing such and such numbers by a certain period and work on that way.  When I get the mood I just start and most time finish at a stretch, which may take maximum 2 hours.  Before starting writing, I do my research work.  The photos and other capsule come to mind only at the time of uploading the content.

29. VVanNess profile image78
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

I certainly do a lot of research, but there's no real draft. Being a writer by trade, I tend to edit as I work. Although, I have noticed that writing a draft in Microsoft Word would certainly make for a much more accurate, error-free article.

To answer your question, depending on the type of article I am writing, they usually take me about 2-3 hours from beginning to end. I know some people take much longer, but I am doing this all day long. I write articles, books and training manuals on a constant, every day basis. How about you?

30. GwennyOh profile image84
    GwennyOhposted 11 years ago

For me it takes an average of one to two entire days for light writing, and three to five days for a more in depth piece.

With deeper issues, I like to cross reference as much of my research as possible so the article is built upon a solid foundation.

31. ThelmaC profile image89
    ThelmaCposted 11 years ago

I have a list of topics that I eventually will write about.  I add to the list when another hub idea pops into my mind.  I sometimes have 2 or 3 hubs going at once.  I research and work on whichever one I am in the mood for that day.  That keeps me from going stale by moving around between the hubs.  It may not be an efficient way to do it but it works best for me.  I think if I were to work on just one hub at a time, it would take me a couple of days to complete my research, write the hub and then fine tune it.

32. Rosana Modugno profile image67
    Rosana Modugnoposted 11 years ago

It depends on the topic.  If it's something I know, I can write it in less than 30 minutes, like the last one I wrote on worrying, which took about 20 minutes.  If I have to research, it will take me a couple of hours tops due to my typing speed and the fact that I know exactly where to look for any information I need.

The only reason I don't have 10,000 hubs written so far is life gets in the way.  Writing is not all I do.  Great question.

33. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 11 years ago

Lately, the average seems to run around 5 to 6 hours.  I'll make a note of a Hub idea when I can, but many a time it's after sunset and time to write--but nothing at all comes to mind.  For whatever reason, I've never been able to "stockpile" a large number of "shovel ready Hub ideas". 

The only time I write anywhere except directly into the Hub itself is when either HP or my Internet provider is out of action and I don't want to remain unproductive for the night.  Other than that, it's write-add photos as I go--add poll--add video--add Amazon capsule--proofread one more time--hit Publish--proofread again...and...repeat the process the next night.

99% of the time, I refuse to quit until my one Hub a day is out there.

34. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Generally about an hour once I get stuck into it.

I have a stack of unpublished hubs which are just titles though, LOL!

35. Jordan Hake profile image82
    Jordan Hakeposted 11 years ago

From idea (through research, drafting, formatting, illustrating, polishing) to finished article takes me from four to five hours... I haven't really timed it, because there are a lot of distractions in my workplace here. smile

36. LoisRyan13903 profile image65
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

It really depends.  I might take notes from one of my Bible studies and they just need to be polished up and may take me 1-2 hours.  But since some of the bible studies are from a year ago i might as well say 1-2 years.  But when I have research and start from scratch if can take me 4 hours, unless if the hub is a topic that is virtually unknown and also depends on the length of the hub.  (a 2000 word hub will take me considerably longer.  I also have to take in consideration if I want to add pictures and videos.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image65
      LoisRyan13903posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I may go back to my hubs and add pics and videos at a later time.

37. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

depends on the mood. The latest hub about Father's Day Card, it took me 1 week to publish it since Father's Day is around the corner. So, I am pressing the time to get it done. Other hubs which are not related to any occasions, may take around 1-2 months to get them publish because lazy to get them updated, just add in photos.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)