Finally made my million page views!!

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (79 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years ago

I've been watching my numbers the past few days and tonight I finally made more than one million page views!  I've been here just over 5 years and almost lost the whole site in the summer of 2014.  It's been a long crawl back, but with the help and advice of other hubbers, the implementation of the niche sites and the increasing popularity of the RV lifestyle, I have been able to reach a point I never thought I'd see.  Feels great!  Thanks to all of you...fellow writers, the team, readers....you have made this possible.  If I never see one more page view, this will be plenty for me.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Woohoo! Great job, glad to see you made it to such a big number and stuck around!

2. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

At TIMETRAVELER2, smile Congratulations to You and right now I am very envious! Keep up the great hubbin'!

1. kenneth avery profile image80
        kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@ Tietraveler2,
        One question: How did you achieve this great milestone? I would love to know. Thanks.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Lots of hard work and paying attention to the info in the Learning Center.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congrats! We arrived about the same time, but I'm only about halfway there. Then again, I have a little less than half as many hubs, maybe I'd better get to writing. I've weathered some ups and downs as well, but still hanging in there. I'm glad to hear you made it, you're my new hero.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sherry Hewins:  Thanks so much.  I honestly don't believe the answer lies in the number of hubs you write.  I have seen people here with very few hubs who do extremely well.  Some years ago, one hubber wrote ONE hub that garnered a million views...so you never know. 

I have developed a pattern I use for every hub and it seems to work well in most cases not only for bringing in views but also for getting hubs moved up to niche sites, where I believe hubs garner the most views.

I write at least 1000 words per hub
        I use 2 to 3 public domain photos that I edit for clarity
        I make one of those photos made for Pinterest
        I try to write relatively short capsules
        I usually use no more than 2 Amazon capsules.  Many times I use zero.  The ones I do use are highly relevant to my topic and always include a blurb about why people should use the products.
        I use a YouTube video that is pertinent to each hub.  Sometimes I add two or more as appropriate.
        I am very careful to make sure that my titles match my content and are the correct length.   This site http://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer  has helped me tremendously with that task.
        I also am very careful about how I write my summaries and make it a point to avoid keyword stuffing in them.
        I make sure that my capsule titles "tell a story" so that people who skim articles get the gist of my hubs
        I search for the best key words for my titles
        I place my first photo beneath my first paragraph of writing.
        I always use a poll, chart, map or some combination of the three
        I properly credit every photo, even when it is my own

Finally, I write solely about one topic.

Although that topic has a somewhat limited audience, it is one that arouses interest.  It is also one that I know a great deal about because I have a ton of experience that I am able to share.

Not every hub does well, but they do not all need to do well.  For example, I have two hubs that between them have brought in 300,000 plus views!  I have others that are really struggling.  They all can't be winners, but if you have enough that are, that's all you need!

Finally, you have experience as a motorcycle enthusiast.  If I were you, I'd use articles about that as my main core.  That is a hugely popular topic.

I thank you for your kind words, but I'm no hero...just another old lady who has lots of time to write about something she loves who has been willing to learn what others teach...and the learning never stops.

Keep on trying..you and all of the others who have offered congratulations here will make it.  I never thought I would, and I know there are many others who have done much, much better...but here I am and I am just thrilled.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing so much of the knowledge you've gained.

2. simplehappylife profile image69
          simplehappylifeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You said in this list, "I place my first photo beneath my first paragraph of writing."

Is there a specific reason why the first photo should be beneath the first paragraph?

Thank You smile  and Thank You for taking the time to share your technique smile

First, I like to place some written content at the beginning of my hub to provide an overview of its contents and second I like to reinforce that information with a visual .

Some disagree that you don't need written content at the top because images are also content, but I don't like to take chances.  Google likes to see wordage, so I provide it!

1. simplehappylife profile image69
              simplehappylifeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You are so Right!  Another writer on here mentioned that she had moved her image down so that the first text capsule was at the very top; she found that her hub score on those particular articles changed within a few hours.

I had totally forgotten that I had asked you about this very thing (and hadn't seen your response until just now—for some reason, I don't receive notifications for forum responses/communications). 

Anyhoo, after seeing what she discovered, I decided to experiment with my own articles to see if anything would shift.  Sure enough, they have! 

Many of my articles were dancing in the low to mid 70's, with a handful in the low 80's (one or two actually made it around the mid-80's).  Now, ALL of my articles have increased.  MANY of them are in the mid to high 80's and there are a few that are in the low 90's!  Which I'm super excited to see.   So, I encourage everyone to take the time to test this out with their own articles and see if it improves their ratings. 

I agree with you 100%.  I believe this makes the article Google Friendly smile 

I'm excited to see the long-term results smile  It took a long time to go in and fix each article, but it is so worth the effort smile 

Thanks Again for sharing your invaluable experience and expertise smile

simplehappylife:  I'm glad this is working out for you.  I do a lot of analyzing with my hubs, and often try different approaches to see if I can find some way to make improvements.  Sometimes they work, sometimes not...but I will tell you that I have been able to revive many hubs that I thought were dead in the water by doing this.  I feel it is especially important to write good titles.  This is something I still struggle with, but when one clicks in, I know I've got a winner.

Keep at it.  The rewards can be wonderful!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

HubPages ought to make this a sticky somewhere.

The only comment I'd make is that it's not essential to concentrate on one topic - it's possible to be equally as successful writing about lots of different things, provided you can offer good information on them. 

The big reason many people fail, is that they are picking subjects because they're perceived to be popular, not because they have something worthwhile to contribute about them.

@Marisa,
            I join RonElFran and the others in Wishing You Our Best for Achieving the "One Million Views" milestone.
            You deserved this great honor--for you worked for the honor. Continue the great work.

4. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congrats on reaching a well deserved milestone!

5. Ashish Dadgaa profile image47
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow, That's awesome smile
      Congratulations TIMETRAVELER2 smile

6. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations TIMETRAVELLER2 that is some milestone.  Your hard work has paid off.   I know how determined you were and it sure has paid off.  That is fantastic news.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image47

@sallybea,

How far are you from million? smile
        I reckon you should reach very soon.

1. sallybea profile image95
          sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Ashish Dadgaa Not quite!  I am closer to 400,000:) I need to double my efforts.

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image47

@sallybea,

Ohh great. You reached half way smile
            I am sure that you will touch million very soon smile
            Wish you good luck.

7. Blond Logic profile image92
      Blond Logicposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that is a terrific milestone. Here's wishing you many more years of writing enjoyment here on Hubpages.

Blond Logic:

Thanks so much.  I really appreciate all of the support you have given me and know it's because of people like you that I've been able to achieve this goal.

8. Cyndi10 profile image85
      Cyndi10posted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is so excellent! Congratulations on your tenacity. Reaching a million is something to be proud of. Onward to many more! (Lifting an imaginary glass of champagne in toast to you.)

9. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, very well done! Congrats from the Team!

@Christy, I agree with Christy. Congratulations. And Christy, did you get the photo glitch repaired?
        Please say YES.

10. ChitrangadaSharan profile image88
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations for achieving this wonderful milestone!

11. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 7 years agoin reply to this

congrats my friend, I would never be able to reach there, not in a million years!

12. SakinaNasir53 profile image94
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on this great achievement! Keep it up! smile

13. Marie Flint profile image73
      Marie Flintposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!

14. Glenis Rix profile image95
      Glenis Rixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wow! What an achievement! Huge congrats

15. Coffeequeeen profile image82
      Coffeequeeenposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Many congratulations  That's a fantastic achievement.  smile

2. ponder profile image79
    ponderposted 7 years ago

Congrats.

3. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Wow congrats! How long ago was it that you hit the 500k mark? smile

7 months ago.  Around the end of July, 2016 give or take.

I have found that once you reach certain plateaus, things seem to speed up.  However, I hit the half million mark at the height of my "season" and the numbers never did drop back for some reason (which they usually do).

Last month I had 59,000 views more than the same month last year!  I keep track of the monthly views on a chart that I started back at the end of year one so that I could view my progress.  The first few years were horrible, but after that views began climbing.  Whether that will continue, who knows.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
        lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Amazing. That's why I wanted to know smile That was much faster than I expected. But on the other hand, I remember your post on 500k so I assumed it couldn't be too long ago.

With the niche sites, I hope you continue to get more and constant views throughout the year with an even bigger boost during RV season wink

4. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Well done. Surprising how much mileage you can get out of an RV, lol.

Good point!

5. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

Congrats, TimeTraveler!  It's a big, big milestone - perhaps even bigger than the 10M that a handful have made.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Based on my current stats, I have an estimated 4 years to reach that sad

Wry:  You are SO good at this stuff...I think 10M will be the least of your achievements!  I have learned so much from you that I can't begin to thank you.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's about what the numbers tell me, too.  50 months, give or take 30. big_smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84

Wilderness:  I'm not so sure about that!  I've read the work of the people who have gotten that many views and am always totally impressed by the amount of work they put into their writing and research.  They deserve those views!  I'll never make it that far, but that's OK.  What I've done works for me, and that's enough.  I'll just continue plodding along lol!  Thanks for the kind words.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, they absolutely deserve it - never intended to imply they didn't.  But I do think the first million may be the hardest to reach - that first M includes all the work to understand what's going on and how to write.  Plus, of course, the views come faster and faster as time passes.

I hope you're right!  Will let you know once the figures are in.  Thanks.

6. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

Great validation and achievement! Congratulations!

7. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

Congratulations on your determination to keep writing at HubPages and earning the Million Views! It's hard work and I think it's been more difficult the last couple of years, but worth every minute of work.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 7 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13390506_f1024.jpg

I LOVE this, Mark.  Thank you so much!  I well remember all of the advice you gave me the summer of 14 when things really turned South for me.  As you can see...I listened...You were so right....so thank you, thank you, thank you.

Hope it's OK to use part of it as my profile pic here...it's adorable!  Let me know if this is a problem...just email me.

9. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Thanks for those words of encouragement to all of us wink I reached the 500k mark around the same time as you and I'm just over 600k right now.

Your checklist - It's perfect and it's exactly what I do since the last 2 years or so and have been doing when editing old hubs (Yes I do not have many to edit, but I still got many to edit lol). But I do not think about Pinterest until after the hub is doing well. Maybe I need to change that, we all do.

10. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 7 years ago

Congrats! 1M is very impressive.

11. Chriswillman90 profile image89
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

Way to go, there are very few writers online that can claim to reach the million view mark especially in today's oversaturated interwebs. Congrats!

12. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 7 years ago

Glad to see this post, congratulations! You mentioned that even if you do not see another page veiw you will be happy, but you will see a lot of other page views now! Your numbers are just going to go up and up. (I want HP to put in a 5M accolade too. 10M is a long way to go.)

13. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 7 years ago

Well done timetraveller

14. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 7 years ago

Fantastic!  I am so happy for you - great news, it's a long haul, and you deserve to celebrate. Congratulations!

15. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 7 years ago

Yay! smile Congrats on a well deserved milestone.

16. Nancy Owens profile image81
    Nancy Owensposted 7 years ago

Congrats on your million views.

17. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 7 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS!!  Happy Hubbing to the next million.  I'm miles away but I share your joy.

18. Venkatachari M profile image87
    Venkatachari Mposted 7 years ago

Congrats, TT2, on this wonderful achievement. You are a great writer with beautiful, insightful hubs.

19. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 7 years ago

Huge congrats!! And you earned a full color M. Ewbie for your achievement!!! Print it out and frame it.

20. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

WooooooooHoooooooo! Congratulations to a hard worker. Fantastic news. big_smile

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is so super! It take long, but it feels so good, doesn't it? I really like your hubs. Congrats!

21. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Well done TT2

Couldn't have done it without you, Marisa.  Cannot thank you enough for all you have done for me.  It's been a great ride.

22. DeadEyedDragon profile image61
    DeadEyedDragonposted 7 years ago

Congratulations to you, milestones are always great to achieve and you should shout about it.

23. Kalux profile image76
    Kaluxposted 7 years ago

Way to go, congrats! smile

24. Janda Raker profile image90
    Janda Rakerposted 7 years ago

Wow, tt2, congratulations! I think I need to stop reading the forums and start writing MORE hubs! I really appreciate your list of "how-tos." Very concise and informative. Thank you for sharing. Hope you have a million more views!

Thanks, Janda.  I put that list on because it took me a long time to come up with the writing formula I use and I thought it might save other writers some time.

I think the most important thing I've learned here is that every single piece of what you produce matters from the title and summary right down to the polls,maps, etc.

I didn't know much about online writing when I came here, so it took me a long time to figure that out.  It's a BIG learning curve.

Many here think that getting views happens randomly, but I disagree.  There are small things you can do to upgrade every hub that can really make a difference, but even with that, you have to consider your competition. 

For example, I tried writing once about Breast Cancer.  It was a good article but it got few views.  Finally I realized that I was competing with the big medical sites as well as the American Cancer Society.  No way an article on that topic is going to do well under those circumstances, even though I had personal experience.

Writers have to look at their topics from many angles.  Competition is an important one!

25. Janda Raker profile image90
    Janda Rakerposted 7 years ago

TimeTraveler2, I totally agree with you. I think "everything" has to add up for us to get maximum views. Even what you're saying about competing with other sites about info on cancer and what you said earlier about writing on one topic (yours being RVs, travel, ownership, etc.) are both important. I wrote for several years for Examiner.com, had 29 articles posted on travel and outdoor recreation, but in the past year, that site went to all "entertainment"--concerts, entertainers, etc. So my articles (and photos) went offline. I have rights to them, but now I'm having to rewrite and reformat them, with the goal of posting them on HubPages, which I think will be a good fit. So far I've only posted two, but they've gotten good response. Of course, writing is a lot of work, and I keep getting involved in social-action projects and heading out to travel. So with your encouragement and advice, I'm going to get to work and write. Thank you!

Good luck.  I'm sure you'll do well because you have the "write" attitude!

1. Janda Raker profile image90
        Janda Rakerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

:-)
        Janda

26. simplehappylife profile image69
    simplehappylifeposted 6 years ago

That's AMAZING!!  Congratulations!!!

27. profile image0
    threekeysposted 6 years ago

That is some milestone. A big warm Congratulations!

28. profile image0
    Diana Abrahamsonposted 6 years ago

Well done. A feat, I would say!

29. Terrielynn1 profile image86
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

Congratulations on the views. Woo hoo. I am trying to get to 10,000.

30. Dean Traylor profile image94
    Dean Traylorposted 6 years ago

Hey congratulations! That's not any easy task; especially with all the changes that have been implemented on this site. I still have a little over 700,000 before I can reach that milestone. Now onward to 2 millions!

31. Janda Raker profile image90
    Janda Rakerposted 6 years ago

Awesome, TimeTraveler2! At the rate I'm going currently, it will take me 1,155 years to acheive that! LOL Okay, yes, I DO need to get my butt in the chair and WRITE! You're a great role model for us newbies! Thank you!

JandaRaker:  ...and thank YOU.  It's always nice to hear kind words from fellow writers here.

32. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Congratulations TT2. That is a terrific accomplishment.

33. Diana Majors profile image79
    Diana Majorsposted 6 years ago

That's wonderful!  Congratulations!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)