Should I Change My Avator OR Just Leave It Alone?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (61 posts)
  1. dawei888 profile image61
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

Hi! I was thinking about this for the past few days: I think my avatar is very, very boring. simply a pic of me at the beach.

Question for you: Do u think it's unwise to change your avatar once you've been using it for a while OR do u think it's a good idea to change it to mix things up a bit?

dawei888

1. profile image49
      CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Change it, variety is the spice of life. Me and the Captain change ours all the time so yeah change it every 3 weeks, but you look cool ya know but change is good, yeah ?

2. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a good picture of you.  I appreciate the fact that it is really you.  You don't see that often.  If you can find a picture that you think depict you better, it's up to you. But, your avatar suits you.  It is you.  My avatar is a pic of me.  I am not the most gorgeous chick in the world, but that's me.

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you deff look hot !

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61

You silver-tongued devil!

1. profile image49

Just speaking the truth Davina, you are one hot chick !

You are one dangerous character, Mr. badcompany... and Irish, too.

1. profile image49

And all yours right now Davina smile

2. dawei888 profile image61
        dawei888posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Davina! Thanks :-) I appreciate your comment!

3. alekhouse profile image72
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lots of hubbers change their avatars from time to time. I've been here two months and changed mine 3 times. I think you should do what pleases you.

4. Milla Mahno profile image60
      Milla Mahnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you want to? You are such a handsome guy! smile

Ahhh...thanks Milla...the only other woman who tells me that is my mom!!!

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looks fine the way it is , but personally I think change is good too.( surprise , surprise lol)

why not experiment ,and you can also flick it back.

I usually gravitate to a hub for its content ,but thats me smile

6. GeneralHowitzer profile image68
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No need, your very good looking with it.

7. MissJamieD profile image55
      MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Change it and change it whenever you feel the need. When I'm tired of seeing the same picture or want to portray my feelings, I change it to whatever I want. I love that part of it. But of course it's up to you.

8. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice pic, nice background.  You could change it for a few days and see how you feel about it and what comments people make to that effect. It just takes a minute to change anyway.  If you do, I hope it will still have your Smiley face.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

I think having a real photo of yourself is good, because it builds trust (both in your outside visitors and within the community), but if you don't like that particular picture, you should go ahead and change it.

1. profile image49

Although I hate to disagree with the lovely Maddie I will, trust is not the issue for outside visitors but content and an interesting read. A real photo is not what they seek, a good interesting read is, but I may be wrong, or looking at my outside reads I may be right. But and a big butt, if I looked like you I wud deff post my real photo. Nice to have you back Maddie smile

I'm with the Good Captain on this one - Miss Ruud brings a ray of sunshine with her beautiful smile in her avatar pic!

I take care of a cute little stray calico kitty outside named Princess - Maybe she'll join me for a new avatar!

1. profile image49

No Whitney deff has a point and one that someone else pointed out to me as well. If you check Whitneys hubs you will see loads of comments from outside of hubs and I mean loads. I dont respect many people on Hubs but I do respect her because she deff has Hubpages sussed. So keep your pic mate, people will respect a real pic more !

Thanks for your advice, BadCompany. Tomorrow I'll think of how I can get Princess the cat to pose with me in a new avatar pic. i just think mine is boring.

Just had a look at Whitney's hub on Dog Seizures - She has an incredible amount of comments from outside hubpages - AMAZING!!!

1. profile image49

Exactly !

2. anime_nanet profile image61
        anime_nanetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG! You're no longer Jonnhy Depp! o____o

Seriously now, I think having a real photo can indeed increase your credibility (if you write about credible topics, that is LOL!). It's especially effective if you want to publish hubs in order to sell something or to serve as a link to your personal blog.

Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal. Myself have the same avatar since I joined, almost one year ago. It's an anime pic, but that's what I hub about, so I think it's apropriate!

1. profile image49

So what avatar do you prefer of me as a fan, cause I care about peeps that care about me ?

I prefer the real you!

2. anime_nanet profile image61
            anime_nanetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't really care about your avatar, man smile I like your forum posts a lot though. You bring life to this desert smile

(I'm gonna be flamed for this one ahah)

2. Lisa HW profile image63
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I my case, it worked the other way. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered on Hubs like "how I toilet trained my kids", but it was damaging when it came to Hubs like, "overcoming grief".  Too girl-next-door-ish for some topics.  I'm guessing I'm not the only woman with this issue.

1. profile image49

Im confused now because I like yer hubs Lisa, jeeez what to do, be the Captain, be me or just bugger off, I dunno, do I even care, bugger it !

2. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It increases credibility ...that is if you into writing some serious stuff smile

3. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Such a flirt Captain, even with the Hubpages staff, you worry me !

4. Whitney05 profile image85
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I agree with Maddie. I've seen a few different things online that state that it's better to have a picture of yourself to gain trust.

Your traffic comes from the content, but whether people believe you or come back to see what else you have to say is because of trust, which leads to continued traffic.

If you have advice and how to articles, they just may not believe or trust the info given to their questions if from a monkey, for instance.

1. profile image49

I really can't argue with you Whitney as I have seen the amount of outside comments you get. Believe it or not I respect your reply and I may put my real pic as my avatar because you may have a point. Thanks for the comment Whitney, and enjoy your weekend !

2. Andrew0208 profile image59
      Andrew0208posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahaa, I laugh. You're right. Some avatars(wild animals) could really place less value on the poster. Dave, most excellently you're using your pic, you can also change it with any other one of your choice.

5. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

Maybe I should change mine from my squirrel to something else.  Not sure what yet but I will get thinking and looking for a pic.

1. profile image49

I really do think Whitney has a point Bristol and to be honest if you look at her outside comments you really can't question her stats, I dont think anyone gets more outside comments than her so I have to agree with her and also thank her for bothering to comment, she didnt have to !

1. BristolBoy profile image62
        BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree Whitney has had lots of traffic!  Problem is I have had many comments complimenting my avatar.  I might change it as an experiment sometime!

1. profile image49

Its whatever you are happy with mate, I intend to follow a different path than what I used to follow. My first 3 months were a learning curve but my next 3 months I intend to make my outside traffic exceed my hubs traffic and I will !

2. dawei888 profile image61

BristolBoy - I do indeed like your current avatar. Maybe you could contact Hal Lacino and have him somehow blend your actual pic w/the squirrel's pic using photoshop. he's our in-house photoshop expert...

2. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

but isn't a factor for her Hubs also that they're about very specific things?  They seem like very searchable subjects to me, and that's what gets the best outside traffic.  I can't help but wonder if it's the substance of her writing more than the fact she has a real photo.

6. Cam Anju profile image68
    Cam Anjuposted 14 years ago

I like your avatar, but change is always good, I change my avatars often, it's really up to you. smile

7. k@ri profile image85
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I did not change my avatar for a very long time, then a friend suggested I should.  I have gotten much better traffic since I did, and I now change it on a regular basis.  big_smile

1. profile image49

And I deff love it more than that damn cat smile

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Your avatar is a nice picture.  If you're happy with it you should leave it.  Avatars can, though, affect your traffic.  I never posted a real picture because I don't look "authoritative", and I worried that a picture may mean people wouldn't take my writing as seriously.  I posted one, and in two days I started getting e.mails from people who were giving me tips on how I should have written whatever I wrote!  Then there e.mails from people I can only assume were looking for women they thought they could scam.  I took the picture down.  Then, still wanting to make some effort to be a little more personal, I added just my eyes to my Earth avatar.  I figured other people have just their eyes or parts of their faces, so I gave it a shot.  My traffic went way down!  yikes:  I suppose it was too weird.   Oh well, back to the Earth avatar.  smile

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I think your pic is great (who doesn't love the beach?) If you change it, I'd definitely advise you to at least keep a picture of yourself.

I know when I'm reading on other sites (or even on here), seeing real pictures sort of pushes me to keep reading because psychologically a real person wrote this information. So, obviously your photo won't help you get more SE traffic, BUT it may help your readers to stay on the page longer and read your info. I have no way to really prove this, but it's my best guess. smile

When I first started, I had a pink flower or something like that...but, I think my real picture is much better because it can give my readers a sense of trust. This varies for all topics, of course, but for me I think it works well since I write a lot of healthy eating, weight loss and beauty stuff/feminine type stuff.

1. Whitney05 profile image85
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I've seen. Content brings basic and most traffic, but trust that the information is accurate is in the belief that a real person wrote the information, which potentially keeps people on the page and keeps some coming back.

But to each is his own. Whatever one thinks works best for him/her, is what that person should do.

I don't think that the avatar should be a major point of focus in comparison to content.

10. Jodi Hoeksel profile image60
    Jodi Hoekselposted 14 years ago

Hey, Badco! Be who YOU feel best to be!! That is the only answer that matters! smile

1. profile image49

I no longer know who the real me is, goodnight !

11. dabeaner profile image60
    dabeanerposted 14 years ago

I believe in posting an actual photograph of oneself, such as I have.  wink

12. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Eaglekiwi, all of yours are appealing. Changing it frequently does kind of add interest.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Bless your cotton socks smile what a kind thing to say Lisa

(Ill be in my p'j's next hehe}

13. Mrvoodoo profile image59
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

The only real time I've ever paid much attention to a photo in a hub was when I accidentally found one of my own hubs whilst looking for info on something, I got half way through it before I actually recognized it and had to go check the avatar.

I was like 'who wrote this garbage?' ah, it was me...

yer just too modest MrV ,and humorous lol

but bet ya havent done what I did one day ,standing outside a store window looked at this women who was bigger than me~~ smile smiled smuggly and stepped out to get on the bus ...yep you guessed it , the reflection was moi..dohh lol

1. Mrvoodoo profile image59
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol, I've done similar, given myself the evil eye a few times 'Oi who you staring at?' lol I let him off though as he was such a good lookin fella. big_smile

14. wannabwestern profile image94
    wannabwesternposted 14 years ago

From my point of view, I change my avatars around, but usually use pictures of me as a kid, or pics of my kids. I am usually the one behind the camera in the family and rarely get a decent photo taken of me. I tried taking pics of myself in the mirror and got a bunch of weird angles.

I appreciate the interesting comments. Do you think its a cop-out to use old photos?

I sometimes wonder about the people depicted in some web avatars. Are the writers really the "hot babes" depicted in the photos?

HA - FINALLY somebody brought this up! Thanks WannabWestern! I am 100% sure that a lot of the "HOT CHICKS" contributors here on our favorite website are ACTUALLY DUDES!!!

phew well that makes me feel better  lol I think lol

2. profile image49
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a disgusting thought, there are deff some weirdos about smile

15. ethel smith profile image82
    ethel smithposted 14 years ago

Its up to you. I think it is good to see an actual person, as he or she is. Perhaps you should change it though as you look a little like someone I do not like. Just joking lol

16. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

change it for a while then change it back when you feel like it up to you...... maybe you could grow your hair and a beard for the next one.... only joking of course

17. dawei888 profile image61
    dawei888posted 14 years ago

It seems that holding your pet is THE way to go in Internet marketing avatars - do people agree with this?

1. Andrew0208 profile image59
      Andrew0208posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahah. Any lucky reports? Though, nice one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)