The ability to comment

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (121 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image84
    bravewarriorposted 3 years ago

Okay. Samantha, who is no longer with HP, and Matt have assured us that the ability to comment on articles will be restored by the end of the second quarter 2021. As of 12:01 a.m. the second quarter will have passed.

Where are the comment modules on our articles????

1. manatita44 profile image74
      manatita44posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Your hope is greater than my own, Sha. God bless your trust!

bravewarriorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm not very confident in my hope, Manatita. I read employee reviews today about HP, through a site called Glassdoor. The reviews are not good. One former employee stated that HP management doesn't listen to suggestions brought by staff.

I fear we have had smoke blown up our asses. I also fear that's why Samantha left. I even asked her that, but she never responded. She worked hard for us, but I think she was banging her head against a wall.

Proof is in the pudding.

We'll see.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image74
          Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

SamarthaCubbison? That erudite lady? She's such a loveable character. I wish she's still here. But  we can't help it.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
          TessSchlesingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

So I was right. I've just read that lot. It was what I suspected.

Okay I got that one. But Tessa, were you ever a famous writer on Medium? So it was being claim or suggested, or stated here two days ago. You've got to clearify that.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I've never been famous in my life. What has that got to do with anything?

Come on Tessa. I was specific with my question. But you sounds  a little vague or generalizing. Now: 'Were you ever a famous writer on  Medium?' Not 'were you famous in life,' right?  Your specific answer helps me do a little research. Many thanks, Tessa.

What do you mean by famous? No, I'm not a well known writer on Medium. I've only been there a little more than a year. What sort of research do you want to do?

There are some 76,000 active writers on Medium and, I think, some 400,000 that have signed up. If I remember correctly, they have a 60 million readership, but I can't be sure.

It's very hard to stand out in a platform like that. That said, I've won $500 for the past three months every month for being one of the top writers on Medium. Being a top writer doesn't mean much in the sense that one is just a writer. Nobody knows you.

Thank you, Tessa. Now I read you clear. Will post the research tomorrow. A big congratulation for carting another $500!

2. theraggededge profile image90
            theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

How did you get to see it? - It wants me to sign up.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/HubPa … 530723.htm

I have no idea, but that's the link. I wouldn't sign up.

1. theraggededge profile image90
                theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Huge sign-up pop-up. Never mind. It would probably be disheartening.

it is eye opening. I can copy and paste and send to you. Just won my third $500 on Medium!!!

2. bravewarrior profile image84

I used Glassdoor when I was looking for work. I'd always read employee reviews before submitting my resume to a company. I no longer use it but still get alerts, mostly for HubPages. Employee reviews, past and present are mostly negative. No chance for advancement, low pay, staff doesn't listen to suggestions, etc.

Yup.

2. Maffew James profile image69
      Maffew Jamesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

They were prototyping it on mishtalk.com and there is in fact a working comment system there. It will probably be implemented here eventually.

Maffew.

I don't even know you! Yet you have a Hubscore on 100. First one I have seen in 11 years here! Good on ya!

Manatita, I'm hurt. I've hit a hubber score of 100 a few times in my almost-twelve years with HP!

Haha.

Excellent!! This person (Maffew), is actually the first I recall. Still love you, Sha. I know you're an awesome writer.

Maffew, the fact of the matter is, since December 2020 we were assured that comments would be implemented in the HP/Maven adopted format by the end of the second quarter 2021. That's six months. Don't make promises you can't keep.

3. bravewarrior profile image84

Maffew, I don't see anything on mishtalk.com with regards to reinstating comment on Maven's HP leg. Please provide a direct link.

1. Jan Saints profile image90
          Jan Saintsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Jan. I was not notified of that thread.

That said, staff should have come back to update us on the progress and give us an ETA. Yesterday's newsletter would have been the perfect vehicle.

These days, hubpage staff seems not to be open to the comment button issue. They could have update us currently. But since that is not forthcoming, we writers have exercise enough patience.                                      Had it not been for the discussion thread and the forum, we could all still be in the dark.

3. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
      HubPagesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I completely understand your frustration. We are working hard to bring comments back (in a new-and-improved format), as we know how important they are to our community. Unfortunately, our estimated Q2 deadline ended up being too ambitious. Due to the fact that we were unable to meet that previously indicated deadline, we are hesitant to give another estimate, as we don't want to make promises we can't keep.

Please know that fixing comments is a top priority for HubPages and that we will have them up and running again as soon as we possibly can. Thank you for your patience! —Haley

PS Samantha was the best! We certainly miss having her on our team, and it's nice to know she was so well appreciated here in the forums.

Haiey, thank you for opening up this far.                                                  But be sure to update us weekly on the new challenge. Thank you.

Haley, thank you for coming forth and giving us an update, vague as it is. At least we know the ability to comment is forthcoming. I also appreciate you not blowing smoke up our you-know-whats by not giving us an ETA that you can't back. I know your fingers are tied and you are being our voice.

Do know that our voices are quite loud! LOL

Yeah, Samantha was the best. She fought hard for us. I hope you do the same.

1. HubPages profile imageSTAFF
          HubPagesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your understanding. Commenting is definitely a priority, and we will keep you all as updated as possible on our progress!

3. Jodah profile image89
        Jodahposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your update Haley. We authors are happy as long as we are kept informed. Knowing that the return of comments is still a priority eases our frustration a little.

4. erorantes profile image50
      erorantesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hello brave warrior. I miss giving my comments and receiving my comments. I am looking forward to know other writer’s  and audience  opinions. Stay safe.

2. Jodah profile image89
    Jodahposted 3 years ago

We were assured more than once that this would be implemented here by the end of “the second quarter of 2021.” I didn’t hold a lot of hope of the return of comments being a priority but have kept my faith that promises would be kept. The hope has kept most of us here.

How do we know what to believe in the future? Maffew please give us a date.

Notice there was no mention of the restoration of comments in today's newsletter, posted on June 30th. A bit suspicious, don't you think?

4. Maffew James profile image69
    Maffew Jamesposted 3 years ago

https://mishtalk.com/economics/a-reader … -inflation

You can see the comment system operational here. Paul mentioned they were working on it  6 weeks ago on another thread. He said they still needed to build more moderation capabilities though.

I'll drop out of this conversation entirely now. I get that comments are important to a lot of people but the anger doesn't need to be directed at me for just mentioning what the staff has said. I wasn't defending them or trying to devalue your concerns. I know people have been waiting a long time. I've used comments to communicate with my readers here for years and would like to see them return at some point too.

1. Jodah profile image89

I don't think anger was being directed at you Maffew, just a little frustration. I feel that is understandable due to the time we have waited and the promises given. We realise you are not responsible for the delay, but your words " It will probably be implemented here eventually"did not instil a lot of confidence.

I agree with you, John.

Maffew, there is no anger towards you, nor do we find fault. But "probably" and "eventually" are not words we want to hear. We were told comments WOULD be restored by the end of the second quarter. We're now into the third quarter and entering it with unkept promises.

If comments are in the works but are seeing a technical delay, it should have been featured in this week's newsletter. Instead, crickets abound.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image74
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

Comment button testing to be put into operation? That's great!

6. eugbug profile image94
    eugbugposted 3 years ago

Rumor has it that staff resources were diverted to creating Paul's new profile avatar.

I've not heard it, except now. Thanks.

Hahahahahahah!

7. emge profile image80
    emgeposted 3 years ago

I have a little different take on commenting. Not all comments are genuine and some people comment only if somebody comments on their article so it is like a quid pro quo; you comment on my article and I will comment on yours and the comments are sometimes bland without meaning. There are very few comments which are genuine comments where people appreciate or do not agree with the writer. I have seen some comments where the writers are requesting 'please comment on my article'. I have seen that mostly the number of comments has no relation to the views. Some of my articles have very few comments but thousands of views and there are some with 30 and 40 comments and very few views. I comment only when I feel it is meaningful to comment. I am afraid that mostly this is not the way how the comments on this site function. Honestly, I would be happy if there were no comments at all especially after one of the writers on this site mounted personal attacks on me on one of the articles I had written and hub pages did nothing about it.

Emge, I don't comment on everything I read. I only leave a comment when I genuinely have something to say or was enlightened, moved, chuckled, etc. I also don't follow people just because they follow me. It depends on whether or not their subject matter interests me and/or I'm not stumbling over poorly written material.

It's all relative. I enjoy having the ability to comment - or not. We should have the choice.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image74

quid pro quo? I hadly realize, or envisage that.

3. Kyler J Falk profile image83
      Kyler J Falkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

HubPages warned, and temporarily banned the individual in question.

As for everything else you said, I agree. Comments can stay gone and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

8. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 3 years ago

I acknowledge there are writers here who cherish the commenting system as a way to socialize with other writers. There are also writers who use said system as a way to further content and interact with readers/fans.

However, I hope it is also accepted that there are writers who have not benefitted or have even been harmed by this system. My blog has an anti-spam plugin installed and 9 out of 10 comments are self-promotional, if not trolling or spamming. For a couple of months here, spam comments managed to bypass the notification/approval system, making their way into my ToughNickel hubs. They prominently brought down my Google rankings.

Every SEO company I’ve worked for or worked with over the last two years view comments with great wariness too. None see them as a way to improve traffic. Vice versa, comments are treated as more effective than Google changes as far as traffic plunges are concerned.

Thus, I hope that if comments are reinstated here, there be an option for them to be turned off. And stay off. Those who believe in them can enjoy them. Those who don’t can continue with the current way.

I agree with you 100% in that we should be given a choice, CYong.

How do you install an anti-spam plug in? Does it have to be installed on each article? How does it work?

1. CYong74 profile image96
        CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I use Akismet. This was installed by my host via WordPress. It's a one click download process too so anyone using WordPress on their self hosted blog can easily do it.

Once installed, it classifies all incoming comments as spam, waiting for approval, etc. So far, it works fine.

Oh, so it's not something we can use on HubPages.

Nope. Here, we have to rely on whatever HP has. So far, it hasn't entirely been dependable.

2. Glenn Stok profile image94
          Glenn Stokposted 3 years agoin reply to this

We had that ability, to wait for approval, on HubPages too. I’m sure they will continue to offer that option once comments are reintroduced on HubPages' niche sites. Or maybe even make it mandatory.

The problem is that some Hubbers left it turned off, possibly because they didn’t want to be bothered moderating new comments. Because of that, I saw many self-promotional and spam comments on articles that Hubbers didn’t moderate, and that certainly must have hurt them with lower Google ranking.

True, Glenn. You can set comments to await author approval or to show immediately. Even if the latter is chosen, the author can deny and/or delete. However, that was on HubPages.com. Don't know how that will translate to the niche sites and Discover. I guess we'll have to wait and see what our options are.

Well, I hope whatever option offered works better than before.

9. Misbah786 profile image82
    Misbah786posted 3 years ago

Yes, Shauna, it's a huge disappointment. I was also waiting for the comment button to appear on our articles for a long time. After reading the thread, I'm curious to know if, HubPages authors welcome comments from readers outside of HubPages. I'm curious because, in my time here, I've only seen a few authors accepting comments outside of HubPages.
    Even, I've seen a few comments that claim comments made outside of HubPages are suspicious. I'm just looking for information. About me when I first started here, I had comment approval restrictions, but now I have removed them. It's because I believe I never write anything that could harm somebody. Furthermore, I have confidence in all of the HP authors because they are all trustworthy in my opinion.

If it were my hubs, I would never allow a guest reader to leave a comment just because I don't know them. But I really want the comment button to be back on our articles. In the last 5 months, I've received numerous emails about my hubs from fellow authors, and I also have a fan mail that says, "I like your hub, but there's no way for me to leave a comment on it.". Many of them are my friends now.

I often read some of the articles by our fellow authors on a regular basis, and I love reading them, but I couldn't leave a comment. It's always a huge disappointment.
    By the way, I greatly enjoyed reading your article "Meet Dana C Cook, Colorblind Artist."

Blessings and Love to you!

Mishbah, you appear to be feeling better. I hope that's the case.

Yes, we, at least I, welcome comments from outside the HP circle. My mom would often comment on my articles and I'd receive many others as well, especially on how-to articles. When we had the ability to leave comments, the authors also had the ability to deny/delete those that were suspicious or ugly. Fortunately, I haven't had many of those.

I'm glad you enjoyed the article about Dana. He happens to be my brother and is extremely talented. Our Cherokee roots reside deep in his soul. He's quite amazing!

Thanks for the conversation, Misbah. Continue to heal, but don't overdo it, my friend.

1. Misbah786 profile image82
        Misbah786posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm feeling much better today. Boredom is something I hate. LOL!
        I'm taking good care of myself, and I appreciate the information you told about guest readers' comments.
        Blessings and Love

Yeah, boredom sucks!

To further expound on outside commenters: Viable comments are a positive indicator that your article was found via search engine. The fact that an "outsider" commented, is indicative of them not only staying on your page without "bouncing" out, but found the information compelling and informative enough to render a comment. That's good! But, like I said, this applies to viable comments.

Something to think about.

I see, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain. That is very kind of you smile

2. CYong74 profile image96

I welcome and approve most comments, including those from obviously newly approved accounts and outside HP. For a few years, I even approve comments that are obviously hoping for a comment-for-comment, view-for-view arrangement. (They stopped long ago because I don’t return the favor; my total comments then plummeted by 90 percent and more. While my views improved)

But in the end, I accepted that these are meaningless for my objectives here. Quite honestly, if a reader truly wants to interact, or needs to seek further information, I do not see why the other modes of communication do not suffice.

It’s not as convenient as a comment box, I agree. But I have readers emailing me or leaving messages on my linked social media accounts. The interesting thing is also that these are the folks I ended up staying in contact with.

Ultimately, I feel it’s a matter of what you see HubPages as. Are you looking to use it as a revenue sharing platform, as a writing portfolio to get jobs elsewhere, or as a social tool?

My opinion: If you’re looking to use HP as a socializing tool, it will never be satisfactory. Because there are far better platforms. And because the whole system here is still based on revenue earning via search views.

You are right about that give some have some rule. I believe, I have never written a remark on someone's piece just to get a response. In fact, there are a few number of authors whose work I read on a regular basis and for whom I leave comments because I enjoy reading their work, but I have never received any response from them. I haven't expected it either. When I was new here, I followed everyone who followed me, but as time passed, I discovered that it was not required to return the favor. My list of followers differs significantly from the list of authors I follow. Not everyone follows me back, and also I don't always return the favor.

You are correct that there are many different ways to socialize, but I enjoy the community here since everyone is so nice. I'm not sure whether most of the folks I speak with on forums have ever looked at my profile. I've requested for help on forums a few times and have always been warmly welcomed and assisted by the authors. Here I'm listing all of the people I follow, as well as those who are following me and even the ones who are just strangers to me smile

1. Moondot1822 profile image92
          Moondot1822posted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's what I am trying to say, Misbah. If we want to socialize, then Hubpages is a decent choice. It's not taboo. Lol. I said that I, sometimes, don't enjoy commenting even though I read all the stuff of authors whole-heartedly, and don't want to show them that "see I have read your article; it's great". I know that there is no harm in doing this if it makes them happy, and that is why I do it. I love the community and authors and that's why I am here. smile

3. Sherry Hewins profile image90
      Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I prefer comments from outside HP. I have never used comments socially, but use them to get feedback and answer questions from people who have landed on my articles through search.

10. Moondot1822 profile image92
    Moondot1822posted 3 years ago

Honestly, sometimes I don't enjoy commenting. But I have realized that to become famous on HubPages, 'comments' are a must. So, I would say that you have to walk with the community. Means I don't enjoy commenting but many people do. That means there is nothing wrong with that. 

No offense. What do you mean by famous?

This will sound excessively calculative, but what would being famous here translate to? Easier passing of QAP, easier entry into the niche sites, higher traffic?

If you’re looking to be a recognized member of an international writing community, then wouldn’t joining a FB group or likewise be easier? After all, you wouldn’t have to bother with QAP and the likes of.

I simply mean that if one wants to be an active and known member of Hubpages, he/she must need to leave a comment on the forum threads and articles. And this may be only my thought. Agreed or disagreed—the choice is yours. I didn't mean that the QAP and niche sites have no importance.
        For example, I have never read your article. If you hadn't commented on threads, I wouldn't know who 'Cyong74' is. Many people follow us because of the comments that we left on threads. The bottom line is that we need to comment whether we like it or not.
        That's what I mean.

Moondot, famous, generally mean known by (a lot of) or many people.                                                 So if you had say, 1000 followers on Hubpages(currently they could be a minimum of 60,000) could that make you famous? I think not.                                         Seriously, to be famous within the HubPages community means all the 60,000 plus members  knows you currently. Neither you nor I can attain that status. Who would on hubpages achieve that? Thank you.

Miebakagh, your kind responses always grab my attention. LOL!  I am just very curious to know about the figure "60,000" smile

Moondot? Could you please re-read my response above? I did say or mean '60,000 members...' of the hubpages community  or writers to follow. Don't that seem clear to you from the context? Your welcome.

I think You should re-read the response above, not me. smile

Let's be nice, folks! I think language barriers are leading to misinterpretation.

Oh, I think you misunderstood, Bravewarrior. I just tried to tell him I didn't make any response. smile
                I respect all of you, and if someone doesn't agree with me, I don't mind it.

My comment was geared more towards Miebakagh, Moondot. Misuse of words leads to misinterpretation.

You are very kind, Bravewarrior. I hope he will understand too.

Misbah, 60,000 is as imaginary as 1000. It does not in anyway mean actaul hubpage writers. Hope you understand. Thanks.

Miebakagh, thank you for taking the time to explain that to me smile

Misbah786, you're always welcome.

2. Glenn Stok profile image94

The actual number of published writers on HubPages is 32,705 as of July 3rd. (Source: https://hubpages.com/about/us )

Thank you so much, Mr. Glenn, for providing this information. 32,000+ is a huge number. I sincerely appreciate your efforts smile

Blessings to you!

1. Glenn Stok profile image94

I’ve been saving a record of those statistics for a long time. We actually had many more authors ten years ago. Blessings to you too Misbah.

Thanks Glenn Stok, for the update.                                                      I knows that. But I could not bring myself to use that as a figure. As pertaining to the word 'famous,' a larger figure than 32,000 plus could be necessary from a wider area.                                                   That said, I believe for a person to be famous, he or she must be known on all the social media like Bill Gate or Jef  Boze. These two guys are famous not just on social media, but all over the world. Now my questim:could 32,000 persons knows just only one individual well, that individual is famous? Thank you.

I resisted myself not to respond you back, but I think I need to add some thoughts. Miebakagh, I respect you and you have helped me a lot with my one article in my early days. I am very thankful to you for that. But You are just discerning the meaning of famous in a very different way or maybe I shouldn't have used this word. Or we can use well-known instead of famous. If you are known by most of the community, then definitely you are famous. I may be wrong but, a writer can be famous or you can say someone "a famous writer on Hubpages". I don't think there is something wrong with that. Like, "Tessa is a famous writer on Medium", " Bev G is famous for helping others on Hubpages".  I am a student, and it is just the beginning of my career; I'll be famous one day. I can say that because this is my dream to become well-known within this community.
                Now if you will say that you can't be like Bill Gates. It's another topic. I just said famous within the HP community.
                Stay safe and healthy...
                You are like my teacher. Tell me if I used a wrong word and also recommend me the correct one.smile

According to Meriam Webster Dictionary, this is the meaning of the word famous:

famous adjective
                  Save Word
                  To save this word, you'll need to log in.

fa·​mous | \ ˈfā-məs  \
                  Definition of famous
                  1a: widely known
                  a restaurant famous for its French cuisine
                  b: honored for achievement
                  a famous explorer
                  2: EXCELLENT, FIRST-RATE
                  famous weather for a walk

Bravewarrior, thanks for sharing these meanings. So, it's not wrong to say a famous writer on HP or a famous poet on HP, as tsmog said. I really appreciate your post.
                    After reading his post, I ran toward google and searched for the word. My first thought was "I may be wrong because I am not a native speaker". But after searching I found out the word FAMOUS has a wide scope.
                    Famous—Excellent, First-rate...
                    If you want to be excellent on HP, you need to comment on articles and threads. Now one can disagree with my thoughts. But just interpreting the word famous is not a good idea.

Moondot, I definitely would not say whether you're wrong or not.                                                  My opinion? A few or some could not agree. For example, Tessa, whom you stated is a famous writer on Medium could not definitely agree.                                   Seriously, if you had frequently ruminating the forums, I think you will understand when she ask the question: "have you meet a famous writer?"                              Okay, you google famous? Do you think I am green to that? Every one does, and some have add their opinion to distort or dilute the original meaning.                                  Definitely, I have never met a famous writer on hubpages. I can say George Orwell is famous for his "Animal Farm." But not for his "Chocolate Cream Soldier." Do you read me well? Thank you.

2. tsmog profile image85
                tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Famous is a relative term. Its definition is 'widely known'. It relates to any group. So, it does not necessarily mean all of Hubpages. It could mean the group of poetic writers, which is a group within a larger group being creative writers. Any reader of the Hubpages writing forum seeing all your posts easily could think you are 'widely known'. Therefore, famous.

3. Moondot1822 profile image92

And those digits (60,000) came from my word 'famous'. Now I am regretting why I have used this word. big_smile
              Thank you, Glenn, for providing actual statistic.

Then don't put it into print, Miebakagh. Don't post stats that are unrealistic. Better to be silent.

bravewarrior, your advice is well noted.                                             As relating to the word 'famous' that generate that my response, it's just an imaginary example that I used to illustrate a point. As that's not welcome here, instead of keeping silent, what should one do to drive home the points? We're in a discuss, not in an arguement that involve statistical facts. Thank you.

Miebakagh, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm simply stating, that it's better to say nothing than to offer incorrect information. If you want to quote statistics, look them up so you can provide accurate information, rather than throw a random number out there.

Peace.

11. PaulGoodman67 profile image99
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

To be honest, I've enjoyed the period without commenting so much, I'd be tempted just to switch them off if they ever come back (assuming that option exists). Wading through the spam and brief, low info messages like "thanks" every day was pretty tedious. The school kids writing obscene messages is pretty wearing too.

I did appreciate it when I got non-commercial, thoughtful responses that consisted of a sentence or more, but unfortunately they were a minority, it seemed. Some people even appeared like they wanted to start an argument with me, which was never going to happen. smile

Comments for me could so often feel like when you go away for a vacation and return to the office and have to deal with 300 emails. I think if most of your readers are random people from Google, many of them kids or teens, there's not a big fun factor.

1. Dean Traylor profile image97
      Dean Traylorposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree about the comments; not dealing with them was wonderful. I used to receive childish, grammatically-challenged comments and or conspiracy-laced or ideological nonsense. The worst, however, were those that obviously didn't read the article, but felt compelled to write a comment.

2. EricDockett profile image98
      EricDockettposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree! I'm in no hurry for comments to come back. When this first started I worried we'd be at a disadvantage from an SEO standpoint, but I'm not sure that's true anymore.

Genuinely helping those few people who ask legitimate questions often feels worth going through the other nonsense. It is a lot of nonsense though.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image99
        PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I previously allowed comments too, because of the belief that Google treated them as updates to the article. I'm questioning that now as well.

My feeling is that the people who are most positive about comments are getting them mainly from other hubbers. They have an ongoing relationship, some sort of a connection. I welcome comments from other hubbers too. But the commenters that visit from the search engines know they are anonymous and therefore feel free to write any old nonsense, puerile obscenity, frivolity, or insult.

I think the issue begins and ends with the sorry fact that we do not know for sure how Google analyses comments. Doesn’t help too that Google changes its mind every other quarter.

I personally believe what those in support of comments are saying too. That they will never approve inane or meaningless comments, especially those looking for views exchange. But then again, this is a matter of individual judgement, isn’t it? Something we could argue for years over. And still not know what Google frowns on.

I’ll just go ahead and say it. I worry whether the reinstatement of comments will have an overall negative effect on respective domains. Would WanderWisdom, for example, start tanking in authority because a portion of WW hubs are welcoming superfluous comments from all over?

I also believe Maven removed comments for a very specific reason. I put money on that it’s not a technical issue but a concern. So far, from what’s written in the forum, views and earnings have also been improving despite comments being gone.

"I also believe Maven removed comments for a very specific reason."

You make a good point, and highlight some issues that I'd not fully considered.

There's always been a degree of conflict on HP between the people who use it mainly with a social emphasis, and those writers who are more focused on the earning aspect. Although, the social aspect has generally suffered over time, as HP has had to focus more on the earning side in order to survive as a business.

In the early years though, there was a lot of emphasis on the social side, so it's understandable that some people feel let down, even betrayed, if that's not too strong a word.

I do my "socializing" in the forums, but generally stopped with the comments some years ago. My concern was that, as well as it being time consuming, it can look unprofessional if you write a serious article then get drawn into chit-chat, or worse still, some sort of argument. Most information sites do not have a to-and-fro between the author and the readers, that's more of a feature of social media and blogs.

While the "social" people see many aspects of the site in terms of "community", there is also an SEO side to it, as you point out. A lot of the social side is as much about creating lots of links that traditionally help with rankings. But you may well be right that Google has got much more sophisticated in how it treats this approach, and HP are trying to figure out a way through that.

Point well-made and received. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image99

My other belief is that Maven has multiple publications and they're trying to achieve a degree of integration. On Medium, you can get published on Medium, but then the article can also appear in other related online publications. I suspect that HP/Maven is working on something along similar lines. I'm just speculating and I don't know the technical side, but I do suspect that there's a bigger picture.

There's always a bigger picture, isn't there Paul? We're just not always made aware of what that may be.

It's definitely outside my expertise, but I think online publishing is generally moving towards an integrated, multi-pronged approach. I think the merger between Maven and HP was more than just about the additional capital and resources.

12. bravewarrior profile image84

It's so important to have facts to back up your claims. It's also important to not post a statistic that comes from the cuff.

Thank you, Glenn!

1. Glenn Stok profile image94

You’re welcome, Shauna.

13. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 3 years ago

I'm glad that I am not among some "rare" ones who don't care much for either leaving or receiving comments -- however, so many others do, and we have to respect their preference to interact. After all, we are a bunch of diverse individualities here, and that's one of the things that make this HP such a great place. What turned me, personally, off long time ago, were some pattern - comments, plus the fact that I would receive one right away from the same person to whom I left mine.
    However, again, even that shouldn't be something to generalize about, since that may be the very thing some others enjoy doing -- so let everyone have it their own way, as long as no one gets offended for "not hearing from me".

Not being an altruist freak, I can't say that I "like everybody on HP", and not being naive, I don't think that I am a universally likable dude - so I do read works of some writers, and don't read anything of others, just don't leave any comments regardless of who they are. So much for honesty, uncomfortable or not.

14. alexadry profile image99
    alexadryposted 3 years ago

Chiming in to thank for the update. I too was wondering about when the comments section would be restored. I think it adds a competitive edge to websites compared to those who do not provide this kind of support.

15. Isivwe Muobo profile image70
    Isivwe Muoboposted 3 years ago

The comment option is back up. I just dropped a few comments over the past two hours.

While, I'll just walk over to my feed and check.                                Thanks for informing.

2. Jodah profile image89

No it's not. Only on HubPages and the feed.

John's right. I just check one of my articles on DenGarden and there's no option to comment directly on the article.

Really? Then something like a smoke is going on up on hubpages!

16. profile image0
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 3 years ago

@Tess
    Wow, those reviews are dreadful! Thanks for the link.

@Bev
    Try clearing your cookies or maybe use another browser. Glassdoor seems to only allow one to view a couple of pages before they demand a sign-up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)