Are HubPages worthwhile the time and effort?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 14 years ago

All things considered, do you find HubPages worthwhile the time and effort you put into it?

So far, do your experiences on the site live up to your expectations? What have you heard other people say about their experiences, and would you recommend someone to join?

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm having a lot of fun and have met some fantastic people here. I'm not sure that my original hope of using HP for residual income will come to anything. The learning curve appears to be far too steep. BTW, I loathe the new automated quote feature.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm

i had really high expectations at first

now not so much

i'm still pondering this

3. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been here almost three years and I enjoy hubpages , yes sites will have there ups and downs and people come and go but watching a site grow like this one has been absolutely amazing! I have recommend hubpages to quite a few and they are still active on hubpages. smile

4. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never had any expectations when I joined. I do this for pure joy. As in life though there are people here I adore even though they are an Image on a screen and people here who grate on my nerves. If you are simply here to make a buck you may not enjoy this. But if you are here because you love to write , then you have found a home ! And writing is an artform , and true art and commerce rarely intersect.

But I came here to say what I have to say and if it resonates with someone great ! One last thought expectations are the fastest route to dissapointment !

5. activewriter profile image60
      activewriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I came here to write and read.  So far, no one has prevented either.  So yes.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely.  I'm expecting a $250 payout this month.  That's not bad when you consider I've averaged less than one Hub a week for the time I've been here - not a bad return on effort!

You'll notice several successful internet entrepreneurs who are still here writing on HubPages - that says something, too, I think.

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Sure, I would recommend it.  If they love to write and create something then HubPages is for them.  If they want to make a fast buck, though, then nope - not for them!  smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It's working fine for me, even though I am not heavily into doing everything to make big bucks.

I'm still making money and having a great time with many new people I've met. It's been more than I thought it might be. smile

So, to me, it's well worth my time. big_smile

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I'm enjoying my time here. I love being able to write about whatever I want to write. I love the easy layout of the hubs...the jury is still out on whether it will make me any money which to be honest is my primary reason for writing. I think of all the hours I am putting in as 'work' although it is a very enjoyable kind of work.
    I'm hopeful it will pay dividends in the future. If it doesn't...well, I will still be poor but will have enjoyed my time. It's also been a massive learning curve that I am still on, because it's not simply writing. It's writing, then backlinking, and using the best keywords to get traffic etc etc but most of all the community here is fantastic at sharing tips and SEO knowledge and all the things we really need to know if we want to make a success of online writing.

5. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I really like hp the community here is really supportive, the formats good and I love the fact I can write about whatever I want. The moneys a nice bonus too. smile

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yes it is worth it, as I can only see Hubpages grow far beyond the confines of a traditional content site and plus I like to write stuff about my drawing and other interesting things I know and earn some money as a bonus and the earning part I really am trying to kick in high gear this year too, so yes it is very worthwhile if you put the time and effort in to creating good quality hubpages.

7. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 14 years ago

I'm really enjoying my time here.
    It's a good creative outlet for me, and I've met some wonderful people.
    As far as money is concerned ... I've heard it takes a while. But even without, it's fun.

8. Sage Williams profile image60
    Sage Williamsposted 14 years ago

I love the HubPage community, there is a great deal of friendship and support here.  I have found the layout of HubPages to be very user friendly.  I have looked at Squidoo as well and am not impressed with the look of the lenses.

I am still looking at all avenues in relation to actually making some money.  There is still a lot to learn.

Meanwhile, I'm just enjoying my time here and look forward to writing, reading and meeting new people.

Sage

9. Karina S. profile image59
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

I like hubpages!

10. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

It's definitely worth it for me.

11. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

That all depends upon you, I'd say.  It depends upon what you want to get out of it and what you're willing to put into it.  At the 9 month mark, things are really picking up for me in terms of predictable income.  That's nice, I DID join for that purpose originally.  Along the way I've realized there are quite a few "side Perks" as well:  friends, writing experience, learning opportunities, SEO knowledge, etc... So, all of these tings have increased my motivation.  At first, I didn't really believe I could make any money, but I worked hard and am reaping the benefits.  It's the most fun I've had "working" in a long time...  But, it all takes time and a lot of effort.

I would and have recommended HubPages.  I know quite a few people here pulling in extra cash monthly.  Best of luck to you.

12. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Works for me. smile

13. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Like the community
    Like writing
    Makin' money - notta enough to payout

14. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I am enjoying my time here though I am afraid I will soon have to join a 12 step program or something to do more writing and less forum surfing.

1. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally understand ! LOL

15. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Having sold a few articles (travel and mysteries) for nice returns on other sites, I enjoy my time more here.  I like being able to write what I choose and being able to edit or remove it, also when I choose.

Although I haven't been here a year yet, I received my first payout a while back and look forward to many more.  But for me, the money is just an added bonus for enjoying myself and meeting other great people. 

Making money writing depends on many things, not the least of which is being capable of expressing yourself well.  No, it ain't no easy thang!

16. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

Yes!  If you are not a lazy "ad whore" who thinks he/she is going to get rich from HP then YES this place is great!  I get PAID to write articles elsewhere. 
    I use HP simply for fun and practice and I have to admit I love it enough to not want to be banned even if I CAN'T always say what I want to say the way I want to say it or show nipples and @ss-crack.
    (By the way, let's remember that any money you MIGHT make is from advertising NOT your actual writing.)

17. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

That's why we are all here

and welcome big_smile

18. k@ri profile image86
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I came to HubPages to make money and found soooo much more!  I found an on-line community who cares for each other and supports each other.  I found people who think like I do and live accordingly.  I found a place I could "let my hair down" and people would still accept me. 

I say that the people on HubPages are the best community I've ever found!  It has been well worth my time.  big_smile

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/newnewt/best.jpg

19. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Its working for me smile

20. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I like hub pages well enough it’s a good outlet, and there are some great people, but for revenue not so much. I have doubled my page views on another venue in 3 weeks compared to six months here and with that, Adsense revenue.

21. creativeone59 profile image68
    creativeone59posted 14 years ago

Hubpages has been a God send for me, I love to write and meet people, and give words of encouragement to those in search of a religious thread. hubpages let you be yourslef and write what ever you feel within reason. I have told a few pwople of hubpage and they are memebers now. I need money just like anyone else and have finally started making money, but it's n ot the  most important thing. I really care about my followers and fans , they are the greatest.  Godspeed. creativeone59

22. OneCuteCookie profile image60
    OneCuteCookieposted 14 years ago

I just joined and have been enjoying it , it just takes a little getting used to. smile

23. profile image0

Thanks to everyone for your comments. What has been said so far pretty much confirms my own impression: Most people will find making serious money on HubPages very difficult, but the site has other things to offer.

24. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

most people find making money online, period, to be extremely difficult, hubs is actually easier than any other method I have ever used.

The community aspect is awesome also..so its double plus good in my book

25. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I've had a lot of fun hubbing. I've not made any money yet, but I'm sure that will come. I'd rather spend time here than on facebook.

26. lovelypaper profile image59
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

Is it worth it? It all depends on what you want to get out of it. How much time to you have to devote to writing? If you simply enjoy writing and interacting with other hubbers, it's definately worthwhile. If you want to make money, then you have to keep writing quality hubs and make it like a job. I work full-time, so I write during my off time and try to make it work.

27. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 14 years ago

I make more money on Squidoo but I joined HubPages to expand my online income potential. I have no expectations yet...I'm too new here to know what's possible for me.

28. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

No my experience here is not up to my expectations but still I am satisfied. Yes, it is worth your time and effort and can be a great source of income in the long term.

29. liswilliams profile image40
    liswilliamsposted 14 years ago

i have learnt so much here, grown in character, patience, I have only been here 2 months so I am learning everyday from the pros, loving the community. I think that what keeps most people going when times are maybe tough.

30. fyxer profile image58
    fyxerposted 14 years ago

A FRIEND OF MINE ASK ME HOW SHE CAN GET ON HUBPAGES CAUSE SHE WANT TO MAKE SOME MONEY-I HAVE TO EXPLAIN TO HER THAT IF SHE JUST WANT TO MAKE MONEY THEN THIS IS NOT FOR HER,TO ENJOY HUBPAGES YOU HAVE TO LOVE TO WRITE, I'VE BEEN HERE FOR THREE YEARS AND I LOVE IT BECAUSE I LOVE TO WRITE AND READ

31. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I found that kontera and adsense are giving better results to me here on HP. I have learned a lot of things and found some good people here. I would like to know more writers and want to interact here so anything that comes with revenue is bonus.

32. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

Really, this is a double edged sword.

On one side of things, I love the people here, and it's a great community.

On the other side, I joined so that I could share information about Oklahoma and make a little money on the side.

So far, no money, but a decent amount of Google traffic.

I figure that I'll give it six months.  If the income isn't great, I've already got the articles written that I can transfer to a different site.  I'll keep posting new articles on HP, but after a certain amount of time, then I'll transfer them.

If things do pick up, great.. I'll be on here for a long time. big_smile

I do have some concerns about the new ads, but we'll see.  So far, things seem to be going pretty smoothly.

33. AnythingArtzy profile image68
    AnythingArtzyposted 14 years ago

I'm not making any money but the joy I get from meeting all these many different people and reading their work and creating my own is vastly more important to me.

34. Madison22 profile image61
    Madison22posted 14 years ago

I am glad to be part of this fine community. I am not making any money at the moment but, I enjoy reading the articles from the very many talented writers here on hubpages.

35. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I write for the enjoyment of writing and as a form of self expression.  I guess if you view hubpages as a road to wealth you might be flustered.  I love it.

36. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

Yes, I do think its been worth my time and effort. I have been able to re-home some past articles so they can earn a little more money and I have gotten some writing and photography assignments via my hubs. And, I also enjoy the interaction with other hubbers.

1. cavallo profile image61
      cavalloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely. Worth the time. For young people I would say more so. Better than watching T V  all day. Gives folk the interaction and creativity that so many miss or lack.

37. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

From personal experience I have found that HubPages is worth my time and effort.

38. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I have enjoyed writing and reading Hub-Pages:)  Watching my score too much at first...because I looked forward to seeing it grow, the more active I was. 

Now I am, trying to regain my wind in writing.  Wasn't able to write for the last few days, and my score went down.  It is interesting at one point it was 4 points higher than it is now. 

I guess when it started going down, I started loosing heart.  It was harder for me to hang in there, to have the enthusiam to keep writing. 

Yet I am learning more about myself, in this process.  I can't measure my efforts by some elses score system. 

I have to just write, what God has put on my heart to write about.  I do love encouraging others, and being encouraged by others through hub-pages.

Thank you for asking the question!  It is a little scary at times sharing from your heart.  Putting your feelings out, for everyone to see!

39. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

yes

40. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

yes, I think it's worth the time and effort. you will find a lot of people who have been here 2 or more years! they must find it a worthwhile place to be.

I enjoy it, the writing platform is easy to work with and the sky is the limit. it's also a great place to read some very good writing and learn about things you've never thought about.

41. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

One of the things that I like about HubPages is that the presentation of articles is so attractive. You just won't find better looking things out there. So often, I go to look up something and see a dull page. Not at HubPages. Also, if you want to make money, you have to work at it and stay awhile to build up your links and such. Call me happy.

42. Ann Nonymous profile image60
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

I've recommended hubpages to several people, two of them joined and as for whether or not I like it or if it's worth it- it has far surpassed my expectations. It is a great place for affirmation, for critique for meeting other writers; the entire atmosphere is 100% enjoyable, addicting and very much part of my life and existence now, and this just after 6 weeks. Hope this helps and hope you feel the love too!
    As for the money making part it is very slow in coming but all good things take time. I posted a question regarding this in the forum which my fellow hubbers gave great advice about. I’ve learned through that I am not exactly in it for the money but if I make some I definitely will not complain! Good luck!

43. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I haven't made a killing yet but so far I enjoy my time here

1. Ann Nonymous profile image60
      Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now why couldn't I have said that? haha....Whereas you summed up everything in one sentence it took me ten lines! LOL!!!

44. profile image0

I really appreciate all of your feedback. HubPages is a vast place, that's for sure. And Hubs seem very different compared with blogs and regular websites, each Hubber is like a property owner inside a large community.

45. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

And I've made at least thirty-five cents a day!

46. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I like to write. Therefore, it is great for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)