Team HubPages for the 30-Day Challenge

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

It seems that a number of people from HubPages are planning to do Ed Dale's 30 Day Challenge this year, which is all about learning how to use various tools and websites to drive traffic to your website (or Hubs).

Ed says it is advisable to work as part of a team. Seeing how many Hubbers have already said they have signed on for the challenge, I thought it would be worth having a forum thread specifically for discussion of the 30-Day Challenge.

For those participating, we can trade tips and things we have learned or are struggling with. Other  Hubbers, who don't want to commit to the full challenge, can learn by watching over our shoulders as we discuss. The net result should me more traffic for everyone!

From June 1, the challenge is in "pre-season", and the task is to get through all of last year's training videos and blog posts.

The actual 30 Days starts August 1st. It might seem like a long pre-season, but from what I hear we need every day of that time! I am off to start soaking up the info ...

To sign up for the 30 Day Challenge yourself, go here: http://www.thirtydaychallenge.com/

or go and read a whole lot more about it first on SolarShingles' Hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Thirty-Day-Chalenge-2008

If you have already started wading through last year's training materials, please open the discussion by telling the rest of us what's good and what's not, and what you learned - or didn't - from what you have covered so far.

And if you did the challenge last year, feel free to post a review of the experience in this thread as well - and any hints or tips!

Go Team!

Jenny

2. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 15 years ago

I joined up about a week ago, but I haven't really delved into any of the material yet. There are times when I wish the cliff notes version of doing things worked, but it rarely does!

3. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Damn, he always does it when I've got to move house!

I will say that I highly recommend it. I haven't done it myself, but I've heard plenty of feedback about it.

4. Inspirepub profile image72

Well, Darkside, you can vicariously participate if you hang around this thread ...

Jenny

5. amy jane profile image71
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

Jenny, this is a wonderful idea!  I think it will be great to compare notes and help each other out here at home. smile
    I spent all of last week going through  last year's training videos.  There is so much info, I really have to go back over a good portion of it.  I can already see how it is going to be a huge help. The market/keyword research techniques alone are very valuable!

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Hey Jenny,

I will be part of your team smile

if that is what you were suggesting? If so, add me to your list of friends.

Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't thinking in terms of my own personal team, although now I am signed up to the next bit I see I have a tracker, so I guess they are encouraging the whole viral marketing thing.

I am frankly not particularly interested in whatever toaster I get for bringing people in, but if you aren't already signed up and you want to, feel free to click this link to do it.

http://www.ThirtyDayChallenge.com/challenge/19049

I was more thinking of the sort of team where a bunch of people have similar goals and work together for mutual support, than anything that would belong to anyone!

Not sure how "making friends" works in this site anyway (displaying my ignorance here). I will find out in time, I guess.

Jenny

7. BassGuru profile image58
    BassGuruposted 15 years ago

Have just had a look round the Flock webborwser (preseason day one)

Did last years challenge without a good team (made about $80), would love to join a hub team big_smile

Dave

BTW, they have removed last years material, boo!

8. embitca profile image85
    embitcaposted 15 years ago

I signed up last year and then never actually did anything, so I'm in.

9. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I've had a quick look thru last years materials - available on their site until Friday so be quick and talked to some people I trust who have done it (last year).  It seems like a good, free intro to SEO and IM - its basic and step by step and will therefore suit a lot of people.  BUT they are not telling you specifically how to make money : they are not specifically suggesting a business model. this may suite some people or not. 

The biggest thing  I guess is that at the end there are vids which say - well here is how to do link building (as an example ) manually but most people use software to help this - however we are not going to tell u which software to use cause this is a free course.  However  I guess, because  I haven't, if I enrol in the paid membership site that I will get the opportunity to buy either their own software or their recommended option - both of which will get them paid.   Which again is all OK  so long as the software is a good price and does the job - but you do need to be aware of the conflict of interest. 

I guess  I prefer bloggerunleashed's approach because  I do want a specific business model: I'll make it my own later when  I am in profit.  I am also not adverse to paying for software so long as it helps my business and does whats claimed: and if it doesn't  I want to be able to return it for a full refund

10. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

I'm on board! big_smile
    Just signed up. Not sure how much time I will have to devote to the challenge but I'm going to try. It looks like a good intro for me. Go Hubpages team. lol. tongue

11. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 15 years ago

I have signed up - and I love the idea for a Forum thread... perhaps it could be made sticky??

12. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I'd like to be part of the team- I need to learn about all these things.

13. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I think I may have to be one of those who peeks over everyone's shoulder!   I signed up for the last one, then landed a contract and didn't have time to do anything with it.  I'm just on the tail end of a contract now with nothing lined up - but Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as I decide I have enough time, another contract will come along and I'll be busy again.

Using that logic, maybe I should sign up for the Challenge - that would pretty much guarantee I'll end up landing another contract!

14. RyanRE profile image60
    RyanREposted 15 years ago

I hadn't heard of Ed Dale's 30 day challenge. I will have to check it out big_smile

15. Inspirepub profile image72

What a great team this is going to be!

I have no idea what the challenge entails, but if I'm doing it with all you guys I really don't care!

It will be a slight challenge for me, as I will be in Sweden when it starts, in the US for a week or so, and only get home around the 20th!

But have laptop, will travel ... I shall do my best.

Jenny

16. Inspirepub profile image72

First question of substance.

This Flock browser. I have heard it is basically a version of Firefox with a bunch of plugins built in as standard.

Does anyone know?

I already use an awful lot of plugins with Firefox, and I am fond of them.

I don't want to change for no gain and a possible loss of functionality.

Someone who did it last year? What's the story?

Jenny

1. BassGuru profile image58
      BassGuruposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Flock is a browser that runs on the same platform as Firefox, it has been built to integrate with certain sites. You don't need to uninstal any browsers or make a change, just use Flock for the challenge and Fireforx for everything else.

I did the thirty day challenge last year. Last years challenge was about niche marketing using 3rd party sites (such as blogging platforms), backlinks and affiliates. Simple stuff but it contained some golden nuggets. I did the challenge after it had finished, so I skipped through the materials as lightening speed.

What I learned gave me a very quick set of routes to getting a good ranking in Google for keywords, a far better understanding of internet marketing (which I have applied to clients of my web development business) and about $80 in sales. The $80 could have been more if I put the effort in I guess and I failed to make $10 within a month, it took slightly longer, not much.

The guys who run the course are all involved in different aspects of the net marketing world, keyword discovery softtware, site flippers (people who buy, renovate and then sell sites), video marketeers etc etc. None of them reall ytell you too much about themselves until the end of the course. Yes there is a slight conflict of interest in that all of them would love you to join their programme / buy their software but they don't really sell this stuff to you, they leave that up to your curoisity (which of course they encourage).

I get the feeling that this years course will be on a different tack, something to do with social marketing (the one one two years ago was built on Ad Words)

2. amy jane profile image71
      amy janeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure about this.  They suggested (and raved about) Firefox last year.  I am pretty comfy with Firefox now too, so I am a little hesitant about changing things. 

As far as official teams go, they suggested in the training last year that you have 5-6 people per team. I am not sure why.  Team members are supposed to help each other out when it comes time for social bookmarking.
      Maybe this could be the home base for a couple of hubber teams.  smile

17. Inspirepub profile image72

Thanks for the quick reply, BassGuru!

It sounds as though it will be interesting, at any rate.

I am still on an exponential learning curve when it comes to internet marketing, so everything I touch gives me at least one new piece of information.

Jenny

18. BassGuru profile image58

Its definitely interesting, I would recommend it for starting off or even if you think you know your way round IM. It is fairly simple to understand.

My main weakness was finding good niches, I think I could have done a LOT better if I had put more thought into that! Having said that, I have been using the stuff I learned there with nearly every client I have had since, nothing to do with niche marketing, I make content managed websites for a living, all of them need marketing to some degree or other smile

I guess this thread has become the official HP 30DC team thread.

I could set us up a forum or something though if that would be better? (wouldn't take me long to do)

Thanks for the offer, BassGuru. Let's wait and see if the single thread gets out of hand.

I like the idea that the discussion takes place on HubPages so that all Hubbers can benefit.

Jenny

1. Eric Graudins profile image59
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

When it gets to about 6,500 posts, Maddie will shut it down lol

19. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Well, I have signed up and I will be keeping an eye out smile Not sure how much time I have to devote to this, but I will try smile

20. tranndee profile image60
    tranndeeposted 15 years ago

Amy Jane - he suggested only 4 or 5 people on a team because when you have the same people bookmarking your sites all the time it creates a "footprint" so to speak on your profile on those social bookmark sites. The thought is a footprint of 4 or 5 people looks like you and a few of your friends, but a footprint of 20 or 50 people means you are trying to manipulate the bookmarking site and they will eventually ban you.

I like the idea of this being a home base for hubber teams. I did the challenge last year and been working on things ever since, but not yet a raging success. But I will be hanging out here. If anyone is interested in member for a specific team, let me know.

BassGuru - think a forum is a great idea too. Let us know if you set it up.

21. solarshingles profile image60
    solarshinglesposted 15 years ago

As far as I know you are not going to find any so well organized an so numerous Internet marketing event as it is 30 Day Challenge. Technical, financial and community power of the people behind the 30DC is huge. They leverage their top contacts in the IT and Media, $millions and their knowledge and experiences to bring a new value to the people who are interested.
    They always surprise with introduction of new Internet marketing tips and tricks and they give loads of fun on the way.
    30DC is simply created for newbies to the topic of web marketing, social bookmarking, social networking, quality content creation. You could easily find friends for life there, as well.

This year 30DC is using web browser Flock. If you want to join and to be a member of the 30DC community there, you are going to install it.
    Still, for your private business you could use Firefox, IE, etc.
    I work with both running at the same time on my PC (while writing this text), so I couldn't see any problem considering the browser.

Flock Beta is simply superior to any other web browser, considering Internet niche marketing.

I've got an amazing value in the 30 DC 2007 and I'll respect Ed Dale, Dan Raine, Guru Rob, Mike Mindel, Lisa Hartwell, and the rest of the 30DC community, for good. They gave me a wonderful life experience, state of the art niche marketing knowledge and a bunch of good friendships all over the globe.

Thirty Day Challenge is only for people who are interested in Internet marketing: how to make their hubs to look even better, how to get more traffic, and much more.
    Thank you for this thread.

22. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 15 years ago

Well, what can I say... This is really wonderful. This community is always there for help and support other hubbers.

I have signed up and I´m hoping to learn more about Internet techniques such as social bookmarking and SEO. I think that the team´s idea it´s great and would help us all to get better results from this challenge.

Oh, and I always loved a good challenge, lets have some fun smile.

23. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Okay, I signed up. I need all the help I can get smile

24. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 15 years ago

Has anybody tried flock browser yet?
    I just started to set my preferences but I would love to hear your opinion about it wink.

25. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I flocking love it...although it didn't carry my stumble upon toolbar and I can't find a blogger toolbar for it.

1. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just downloaded Flock yesterday and am passionately in love:-)  It is just sooooo well organized for social bookmarking I can barely believe it.

I too miss my stumbleupon tool bar, but I just added stumbleupon to my favorites  toolbar for the moment<sigh> I'm sure there will soon be a SU toolbar for Flock.smile

1. amy jane profile image71
        amy janeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am hooked too! I took me a little while to really "get it."   We are not the only flock lovers...

http://hubpages.com/hub/All-Flocked-Up- … 20-Browser

1. stephhicks68 profile image86
          stephhicks68posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I saw this too - great hub!  I downloaded Flock yesterday and I think it is really helpful for those of us in TDC!  (I was hesitant too!)  But that's just my 2 cents.  Go to the new hub and read more!

26. tranndee profile image60
    tranndeeposted 15 years ago

So far I like Flock. I am able to do all the things I did in Firefox, plus all their extra widgets which look useful, but it's taking me a minute to get used to using them.

FYI, I found out that you can install almost all the Firefox extensions in Flock. Open Flock, then go to the Firefox (yes Firefox) add-on Web page - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ - look for your add-on (including the Stumble toolbar) and install as normal. So far all of mine work including the 30 Day Challenge toolbar which is here - http://thirtydaychallenge.ourtoolbar.co … n=1.5.39.0

27. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I downloaded Flock- it looks really cool!!
    Now I just need to sign up for the challenge.
    This is going to be great.
    (I might miss my Avant Browser though- I was just getting used to using it!!)

28. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I now have my stumble toolbar back and my Blogger bar smile

29. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

I am flocking and loving it.  Amazing for putting everything at your fingertips.  Flock is already saving me so much time.  Now I suppose I best join the party too.  For right now, I can 't imagine going back to any other browser.  I expect that the few widgets, etc... that  Flock is missing now, are right around the corner.

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

30. crashcromwell profile image66
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

I'm going to keep an open mind about Flock, but I have to say that I am basically a utilitarian kind of guy, so I didn't feel this strong burning need to find a new browser. What I see so far looks nice, and maybe it will grow on me.

BTW, I signed up for the 30 day challenge, too.

Jim Henry, aka, well, you know.....

31. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Could you summarize the involvement for the clueless.

32. Inspirepub profile image72

The 30-Day challenge basically runs through the month of August and involves internet marketing activities of some kind..

You sign up here http://www.ThirtyDayChallenge.com/challenge/19049 and they email you "preseason" instructions, and then the step-by-step during the 30 Days.

Current instruction is "install Flock browser".

The 30 Day Challenge is free - it costs nothing.

You do as much or as little as you like, but there are prizes for those with a competitive urge ...

Jenny

1. pfuller profile image59
      pfullerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hello Jenny!

I just signed up with your link.  Luckily I already have Flock installed so I am sitting down watching some of last year's videos.  They are still online.

Thanks for pointing this site out.

I have to admit when I first heard a few references about the 30 day challenge I thought is was about losing weight smile

33. BassGuru profile image58

Well its already getting busy in here, look like theres a lot of 30DCers ready to go! I'm not too surprised tho, Hubbers are perfect candidates for the kind of stuff they take us through.

My twitter id is 'sqoo' and my friend feed is 'spooky' if any one feels like following me, I will follow you back smile

Oh and I notice quite a few of you are worried about changing browsers, remember you can continue to use your old browser for normal browsing if you want, you can save flock for 30DC stuff only.

34. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I signed up, and I love the Flock browser. The only problem now is that it makes me want to get a HUGE monitor so I can have all my stuff spread out all over the screen.
    Being a visual learner, this is eye candy for sure!!

35. Inspirepub profile image72

I think there was a weight-loss one earlier this year, but from memory it was 90 days.

But no, this one will, if anything, help you to gain weight by spending more time sitting at the computer and snacking, and less time doing exercise or preparing healthy meals ...

Good luck with the challenge!

Jenny

36. Uninvited Writer profile image79

So, how is everyone doing on the pre-season? Are you watching the videos?

I'm enjoying learning about all the new tools. I don't know if I'll keep a lot of them but it'll be fun to try them for a couple of months.

I have a bunch of new friends on Facebook from the 30D forums. They have a limited view of my private information.

I have a question. Do I have to sell something? I don't know what to sell other than my writing ;D

I think the research and development is part of the 30 days.

Jenny

37. DJ Funktual profile image77

I just joined up but am a bit confused.  SEO, RSS, Phrase that Pays. Maximum Edge. Twitter, UGHH!

38. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I'm just taking it one lesson at a time smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

but starting where?
      Link please.

39. DJ Funktual profile image77

Me too.  One video had so much in it that my head was spinning.  I got the grasp of it.  but if you don't know what a backlink is or what an RSS feed does (like me) you appear to be doomed to watching boring videos for the whole summer.
    <shudder>  God, I need a partner.

40. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Signed up yesterday with your link, Jenny.  Hope that Life lets me do something with it!

41. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Oh boy. I am so far behind on all of this, I hardly know what anyone is talking about.
    What's the best link to click to start as a total newbie?  (I have posted a batch, but know little about the whole scheme of things.)

42. Uninvited Writer profile image79

If you go here you can see the pre-season videos. They are also on YouTube.

http://www.thirtydaychallenge.com/members/training/

http://www.youtube.com/user/eddale

43. DJ Funktual profile image77

Thanks Uninvited.  i guess tomorrow I'll be DLing a Flock Browser. 

i'm in.

44. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I'm going through Ed's suggestion of coming up with 10 niche ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)