My best friend died today

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

I lost my best friend today, and it's breaking my heart, her son was given something like drugs last year and he is now in a complete vegetative state, and my friend who always drank, has died today because of the stress and drink, I feel like I should have done something, I don't know what, but it hurts, so I wanted to tell somebody I can't stop crying.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Nell, I'm so sorry. You can't blame yourself. I know how you feel, though. One of my oldest, dearest friends killed herself, and I felt guilty for a long time, thinking I should have done something to prevent it. I'm sure you were the best friend that she would allow you to be!

2. Wendy Krick profile image65
      Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Sweetie, I'm so sorry for your loss and that your are hurting. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  that's so terrible to lose anyone that you care about.  I hope you feel better soon

4. Kimberly Bunch profile image61
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Losing people we love and care so much about is always hard. If you are spiritual know that they are in a better place in heaven, happier; and that everything happens as it is suppose to -- for a reason. And that are real home is in the spirit world. For we are only here alive for a short time learning for our soul's growth.

Some believe that we pick our time to go out of this world and how we want to do it. I believe that. No matter what your belief is in religion or spirituality death is always heart breaking.

But it is our real home is in heaven for we only come to Earth for a shorten time to learn and grow spiritually.

5. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry that your best friend passed away.

*Make a positive out of the tragedy and help someone else in the same situation.  Maybe volunteer at a rehab clinic or someplace that could have helped your friend more.

6. saraperry profile image57
      saraperryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nell Rose,
      I am very sorry for your losses:  the death of your best friend and the loss of her son to a coma state.

It is natural and normal that you would feel so sad and that you would wonder if there's anything you could have done to prevent it.  I'm guessing that other people close to her are wondering the same thing and feeling guilty. 

It is very very very likely there is nothing you could have done to prevent her death.  When someone is on a self-destructive path, we can reach out to help in various ways but we can't make them receive the help or effectively use the help to turn in a different direction. 

I'm hoping you will find some comfort in letting go of the guilt and letting go of your possible anger at her for not making different choices. 

You may want to try a time-limited activity that helps you zoom in on what you're telling yourself about what you could have done.  It may help to write her one or more letters to explore and express your thoughts and feelings about all of this.  You could, for example, start at the top of the page with a phrase, like "If only I had... and then write non-stop for 15-20 minutes.  If you can't think of something else to say during that time, write the phrase again and again until your thinking starts again.
      (Park your internal editor a block away.  Spelling, grammar, sentence construction, how it sounds or reads - none of that matters for this activity).  This is a way to clarify for yourself what you might be telling yourself and feeling guilty about.  Then look at what you've written and re-evaluate what probably would have happened if you had said this or done that.

Let us know how you're doing.  It's hard enough to go through something like this any time of the year but especially hard during the holiday season when there are so many messages about this being a happy, wonderful time of year.

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss Nell. I'm glad you reached out and shared this news. I know what it is like to lose a best friend. Mine died 5 yrs ago and I miss him still very much.
    I am sending you a huge hug for comfort and lots of prayers for your peace.  Healing a broken heart takes time, so be gentle with yourself.  Take care.

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Nell,
    So Sorry for your loss. Sometimes nothing you do can help. stop beating yourself up about shoulda, woulda, coulda's. You cared enough to call her friend. I am sure you did everything in your power to help.
    My thoughts are with you.

4. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that, Nell Rose.  I posted a quote just yesterday on my Facebook account that I found and had no idea why it meant something to me, but now I do.  This is what it says:

"Letting go does not mean giving up, but accepting that there are things that cannot be." ~Anonymous

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Go ahead and let the tears flow, Nell Rose. That's the most healing thing (besides sharing here and getting lots of Hub Love).
    There really is no response to incomprehensible loss but crying.

My heart aches for your friend and the loss of her son to a vegetative state. I can imagine her intolerable pain.
    My heart aches for you, also.
    Death doesn't have to make sense -- it is what it is.
    MM

6. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

My thoughts are with you, Nell. So sorry for your loss.

7. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Oh my dearest Nell I'm so sorry for your loss and the pain!  My most positive thoughts and prayers are with you.

8. Nell Rose profile image89

Thank you all so much, they had so much bad luck over the last couple of years, my friends daughter went to New Jersey to see her uncle and had a car accident she only went out to get over what happened to her brother, she was just coming home. I have to be strong for her now.

9. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

My gosh, Nell. This is incredibly sad.  That poor family. Very tragic.  Be strong, but take care to be kind and nurture yourself as well.  Don't forget to follow the basic: rest when you are tired, eat when you feel hungry and seek comfort from others when you need it.  Take care.

10. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

Nell, you are in my prayers tonight. I am not a very good Christian but hope that God gives you the strength to carry on. Be  strong. Take care.

11. Nell Rose profile image89

I couldn't find anything to do I was just wandering around my house, so thank you all for your kind thoughts, I seem to be calming down a bit, but I am dreading going to bed, even more when I wake up, thanks again

12. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Thinking of you Nell, what can I say except that.

13. lex123 profile image80
    lex123posted 13 years ago

It is really very sad to know about your loss. I can very well understand a friend's feeling. You can now only pray God for her soul to rest in peace.

14. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Nell, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend under such disturbing circumstances.  I'm sure you were the best friend you could have been.  Sometimes nothing we say or do can change another person's behavior.  It's the choices they make. You are in my thoughts.  Allow yourself to grieve and remember your friend with love.

15. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I am sorry for your loss Nell Rose.  I said a prayer for you.

16. salt profile image60
    saltposted 13 years ago

celebrate their friendship. For they are always with you!

17. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

There's nothing anyone can say or do to ease the pain, but just know that we're here for you.. We'll be praying for you and your friend.

18. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

sorry for your loss, I had an old friend I used to run around with alot, who was into drugs, which is why we drifted apart, since I don't like that kind of lifestyle. 

I tried to reason with her about the evils of drugs but she wouldn't listen.  I'm sad to say she was found dead from an overdose a couple of years ago. I often wonder what else I could have done. She was only 38.

So I understand how you feel you could have done more, but what? I wonder myself but I know I said what I could and they make their own decisions.

I hope you are able to find peace. My deepest sympathies.

19. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I just lost a 23 year old beautiful friend, it was hard on everyone and still is. So I know the feeling.

Don't beat yourself up over it, remember the good times. I really hate to hear this.

20. Sweetsusieg profile image76
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  It's hard to lose someone you love.

21. prairieprincess profile image93
    prairieprincessposted 13 years ago

Neil Rose, so sorry about your loss. It must be so painful for you. Take care. Prayers out your way.

22. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I am so sorry for your pain. Remember to care for yourself, or you will be unable to help anyone else. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

23. europewalker profile image80
    europewalkerposted 13 years ago

Nell, sorry for your loss. I'm sure you were a good friend to her. Take care.

24. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss Nell, as losing a dear friend leaves a big hole in our lives. Sending you some healing

25. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Nell - I lost one of my dearest friends one week ago so I know, in some ways, how you feel. It is devastating and you have my sympathy. I have cried every day, several times a day since and spent a lot of time sitting outside, staring into space, and crying. So it goes. There is  no comfort, only know that you are not alone. And the love that you feel for your friend is forever.

I made a little 'alter' for him, with photographs, flowers, candy, and candles. Every time I see his dear face, my  heart breaks. God Bless you, dear.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry for your loss, we both seem to be doing the same things, I also sat outside and just stared into space, I couldn't think, I tried thinking about her but my mind kept veering away as though it didn't want to think about it, we both should just allow ourselves to cry and take care of their families if we are needed. thank you everybody for your support, I seem to be coming around a bit today, and know that I will have to keep an eye out on her daughter, so I will be strong, thanks again

26. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your loss, Nell. May the soul rest in peace. I will pray God to give you and your friend's family strength to overcome this death of your death.

27. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

What a terrible loss, Nell.  My deepest condolences.

28. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Nell - just wonder how you are doing. I have cried every day for a week and a half, less every day, but still...I had the honor of throwing my friend's chair in a fire recently and I thought that I could have put the fire out with tears. I guess the lesson to learn is to appreciate those we love, to tell them so, and to make sure we take time to spend with them, just hanging out.

29. Green Lotus profile image60
    Green Lotusposted 13 years ago

I cannot find the right words to express my sympathy for your tragic loss. I do like tritrain's advice and I agree, something positive can always come out of breakdowns. Be strong and stay sweet. GL

30. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

very sorry for your loss

31. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Nell sorry for your loss, hope you feel better soon.

32. Tammy L profile image68
    Tammy Lposted 13 years ago

Nell, you have my deepest sympathies.  I'm not sure what you could have done differently, if anything at all.  Don't beat yourself up.  That's not going to do the rest of your friends any good. smile

33. Maria Cecilia profile image82
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I am very sorry for your lost...what you feel is normal, and I do believe that our Lord understands it if we cry (though not in resentment)when He recalled his children that are close to our hearts.  Just cry until you feel better....and then pray and leave everything to God.  Crying does not mean lack of faith and spirituality...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)