What software do you use to write your hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Ritsos profile image40
    Ritsosposted 13 years ago

Just wondered what people use to write their hubs. Do you type straight into the hub itself or use Word or what ?

Personally I've been using notepad and then cutting and pasting.

Just curious :-)

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found typing hubs here much easier. I used to write them on notepad but now I write them directly on HP.

2. Darin Walker profile image60
      Darin Walkerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use yWriter. Despite it being novel writing software, I find it useful to organize my finished, half-finished, barely started, and random work. Anything that helps keep my organized is a boon.

3. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Notepad++ is my favorite.

2. simeonvisser profile image69
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Just here, it's a digital world after all.

3. Tomygun profile image69
    Tomygunposted 13 years ago

I use MS Word, because it's easier to find spelling and punctuation mistakes, if there are any. Then I copy it to notepad and then to Hubpages.

4. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

I always use MS Word so I can do a proper spell and grammar check first then it is a simple copy and paste job into each text capsule.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I also use Word and copy and paste it. I also collect all the links I want to use ahead of time from YouTube and elsewhere.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

6. CASE1WORKER profile image63
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

pen and paper then type in

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I used to use Word, but now I use Focus Writer. I love, love, love it and it's free!

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That sounds great. Do you know if they have a version for windows 7? smile

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I'm actually using it on Windows 7 now.

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I'm off to download it now. smile

8. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Word, then copy & paste, and back the original Word docs up on a memory stick for good measure.

9. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yeah its easy to save as you are going a long in HubPages.

10. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I usually just write it directly in HubPages and save frequently. Occasionally I use Notepad++.

11. jagandelight profile image69
    jagandelightposted 13 years ago

I used to write straight in Hubpages, but now I write in Word then cut and paste into capsule.

12. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I write directly into HP.  I find it much easier to control the appearance of the hub as I go, locating and positioning the various capsules for better effect.

13. Rising Caren profile image78
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

I just write straight in the hub.

Except for my werewolf hub. The first paragraph was written on another site's draft editor until I decided I'd rather have it as a hub and copy pasted to the hub editor.

14. livewithrichard profile image71
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I only use Word so that I can keep a copy in my documents for backup. The problem you have if you only type it directly into HP is that there is no backup just in case HP goes belly up tomorrow. I don't expect that but silly me if I'm not prepared for that.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right, and as a result of writing directly into the hub I still have to save it into word so that I have a backup.

15. Rising Caren profile image78
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

BTW thanks to Darin Walker and Irohner for recommending two writing programs that are available on linux (my OS).

I'm gonna bookmark them for when I start my reading kids' book.

16. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have yet to find any reason to write outside of Hubpages. Therefore, all my hubs are written directly to text capsules. wink

17. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

I always use Word - mainly because I use it for my work and I am comfortable with it. I also have an unreliable internet connection, so typing straight onto HP carries the risk of losing work smile

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sufi - You're a freelancer, so I bet you'd love Focus Writer. It's got a built-in timer (like Focus Booster) to remind you to take breaks -- and force you to stay focused for a certain period of time. It also lets you set daily goals (# words) and then tracks your progress for the day.

The screen remains completely uncluttered (hover for toolbars), and you can put in your own background. I also have mine set so that when I type or press the enter key, it sounds like an old, old, old manual typewriter! smile Much more fun to work with than Word.

1. Sufidreamer profile image81
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cheers for that

I had a look and it is a pretty good programme. The problem is that I need a lot of the extra functions provided by Word - footnoting, Excel compatibility, tracking changes etc.

Besides which, I have used Word for 20 years and it has become a reliable old friend (Even Microsoft get something right, occasionally!) smile

2. michifus profile image57
        michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that, sounds useful, I started using a stopwatch download as well as word, and it will be hand to have the two combined. Good work!

18. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

I always used Microsoft Word to write my hubs.

19. AliciaC profile image94
    AliciaCposted 13 years ago

I do my initial draft in Word because I’m used to it and I can easily see the latest word count, then I copy the document to HubPages. When the article’s formatted as a hub I can always see improvements that need to be made, so I do more typing in the HubPages text capsules.

20. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Notepad. The one on Windows.

In fact, I've got an example of what a typical Notepad drafted hub looks like here.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a great example, I like the detail. 
      I also use Notepad on Windows. With more comprehensive hubs, I actually use a real notepad and pen first as I lay out the content. Plus I like to sit outside and write.

Then I copy it into Notepad, or sometimes directly into the capsules.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a great idea! I never see the sun because it reflects off the laptop screen so I stay indoors. Never even thought about paper and pen where I could sit on a sun lounger and enjoy the fresh air and sun too!
        Now, I wonder if I can remember how to write??

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know.. my handwriting isn't as nice as it used to be, but I find that when I use longhand, I actually write differently and take more thought into how it sounds. Yes, sometimes it does make the hub process longer, but I can't stand sitting in front of a computer all the time, even a laptop.. being outdoors is energizing for me.  smile
          Also, that's why I enter it directly into the capsules at times, because I know I have a copy.

21. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I use a carton of milk and a stick to write my hubpages.

22. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 13 years ago

I just write directly on the webpage.

23. spookyfox profile image60
    spookyfoxposted 13 years ago

Since I ususally have the "inspiration" for the hub before I do the title research (and I want the url to match the title), I write it in Evernote. I choose that over other programs because it instantly backs-up notes, and it actually happened to me that the power went out while I was writting one of my hubs. When it came back and I turned the computer back on, I opened Evernote and there it was, the whole text, even if I didn't hit the 'save' button even once.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)