My Hubscore is down 7 points this week. Should I sell or buy puts?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Bill Yovino profile image88
    Bill Yovinoposted 12 years ago

I wish there was a way to turn it off. It goes up and down without reason, and it can be very distressing.

2. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

Scores have NOTHING to do with traffic or earnings (sure, a big upswing in traffic might increase hubscore, but this is often random.)

The best way to deal with scores is ignore them.

3. Bill Yovino profile image88

Now down 11 points. Wtf?

1. kmackey32 profile image63
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes that is down Alot. Have you not posted in the forums for a very long time or wrote a hub?

Bill Yovinoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never been very active in the forums, and I write about 2 hubs per month on average. 95 to 84 is very discouraging. I wish there was a way to block the number. Why do we need to see it every time we log in?

4. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 12 years ago

buy puts.. give yourself some insurance and stay with it and definietly don't sell out...we don't want to see you go to squidoo.. lol

1. kidsnchocolate profile image60
      kidsnchocolateposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is a put???

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now there is a hub topic you can research and answer

5. Ms Dee profile image86
    Ms Deeposted 12 years ago

My Hubber Profile score has dropped 5 points, even though I'm active on the forums. Maybe the alogrithm. was changed?

6. Bill Yovino profile image88

Now down 13 points. WTF Hubpages?

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

calm down dude

7. Bill Yovino profile image88

I think I might delete all of my hubs and leave if it drops another point.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Honestly Bill do not worry about this. It means nothing in the bigger scheme of things, and is only there as an 'incentive'. I often write a hub only to see my hubber author score drop by several points within 12 hours of publishing it. Other times I do little other than comment in forums or write a few comments on hubs, only to hit an author score of 100. My advice is to get a bit of sticky masking or duct tape, and put it over your hubber author score on your screen if it is bothering you, but otherwise ignore it.

8. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

As long as my score is high enough for my links to be do-follow I don't care what it is... my views come from Google and the other search engines so they obviously like what I write and google gives me a respectable PR 4 for my profile page.. I would rather have a PR4 than a hubber score of 95...

9. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

Deleting all of your hubs because of your hubber score would be like cutting off your arm to spite your face (even worse than cutting off your nose to spite your face).  As others have said, hubber score is insignificant. Worry about traffic. 

I took a look at a few of your hubs.  A couple of your recipe hubs are really short.  One was only about 200 words.  I'd try to make them at least 400 words.  Maybe offer two similar recipes, or a variation of your target recipe.

Not sure which recipe hubs you looked at, but I haven't written a hub less than 439 words in a long time. I've recently written some travel hubs over 1800 words, so I'm really at a loss as to why the drop of 13 points. I haven't written any hubs since my score was at 95 a couple of months ago. My score is currently at 82, which is below what it was after I wrote my first hub.

1. rmcrayne profile image89
        rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was a hub on fried artichoke hearts.  I also lookd at one of your Australian cruise hubs.  It was long (but not too long), had good text and pictures, but a low hub score of 59, which was a complete mystery to me.  As long as your hubber score is 75 or more, and hubs 45, I think you're good for links.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...don't worry about the hub score if you are here to make $'s...none of my hubs have ads attached and i haven't written in several months....my score increases because i'm on the forums and i read hubs...it'll decrease if i log on and don't post/comment...don't worry about it...

1. ikechiawazie profile image61
      ikechiawazieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please dont let yourself be discouraged by the score, What is most important is your audience. I usually fall into the same trap too but i have decided to focus on producing quality hubs instead of looking at the hubscore

11. Trsmd profile image57
    Trsmdposted 12 years ago

Since the issue has been raised by hubber having score of 87, all replies are from hubbers having score more than 90 ...

12. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

As long as the Hubber Score remains above the 'do follow' figure that is set then if it alters there is no real problem.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My score is crashing from 89 two days ago - it actually remains fairly constant on 86 but now!! - Oh now 80!!
      75 are u around the corner?

13. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

My score dropped 7 points in the past week and may drop more.

IT DOESN'T MATTER.

I do exactly the same things when my score is 100 asi do when it is 93.  Whatever causes it to change is out of my control and understanding.  IT DOES NOT MATTER.

14. Don Simkovich profile image59
    Don Simkovichposted 12 years ago

Don't worry about it, Bill. The best way to handle it is creating quality content on a consistent basis. And participate in the forums. Depending on what your goals are, the Hubscore doesn't affect search engine rankings ... at least not that I'm aware.

You replied to Bill but it's a 2 month old post big_smile

1. Trsmd profile image57
        Trsmdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So what..still he is facing same problems.. Or it will help others..

big_smile I compare this score to the Panda - UNPREDICTABLE!!!!!
          I'm having the same probs as you Trsmd sad

15. kikalina profile image85
    kikalinaposted 12 years ago

I still have not figured what puts are!

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As far as I am aware it has nothing to do with making Hubpages it is I think a term used to do with buying and selling in the stock market.

Hubscore and Hubberscore is more like a funfair and the score goes up and down like a big dipper/roller coaster just when you least expect it to.

However regarding Hubberscore there is a strange convoluted explanation in the Learning Center at the foot of the page but it is hardly enlightening.

I had better go, the need to stop writing over Christmas holidays is making all the big words fall out into the text at once.

2. Bill Yovino profile image88

A "put" is a stock option that you buy when you expect that a stock will go down in value. That was said tongue in cheek.

1. kidsnchocolate profile image60
        kidsnchocolateposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for informing!!

16. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

My score has dropped 8 points in the past seven days!  I published 3 new Hubs in that time and maybe that has something to do with it because they all start with a score of  about 50.  Since I've only been on this site a few weeks, I think publishing new Hubs actually brings my score down.  Is that possible?

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that does seem to happen.  Traffic also affects it and this is a time of lowered traffic.

But again:  none of those who knowhow the variois factors work will tell you and the rest of us are just guessig.

The best advice is not to worry about it.  It goes up, it goes down.  That's a;;.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey, Pcunix:  Your score is so high, no wonder you don't worry.  For a newbie to HubPages, like me, it is troublesome.  And, I apologize for asking you to vote for me in the Hub nugget competition.  Truly I didn't mean to spam you!  HubPages is all new to me – trying to pass as a human is the most difficult part.

Like yours, my score goes up and down.  You've only been here a few weeks - you are doing fine, don't worry about it.  I don't remember what my score looked like 5 weeks in, but it probably was in the 80's just as yours is.

Don't worry about that "spamming" either.  Some of us are grumpy old bears.  We get over it :-)

Grumpy old bears big_smile

2. Writer Fox profile image31

I like bears better than humans!

:-)

I probably should have explained myself more fully.

If I am following you, it is because I found something of interest in your writing.  That doesn't mean that I'll read everything you write, because you may very well publish things I have no interest in.   

As far as HubNuggets go, I seldom get involved because most of the time their subject matter is not something I am interested in.  I have voted once or twice when I was interested, but I sure as heck am not going to read a bunch of entries that I am NOT interested in.

Finally, ASKING me to vote for a hub is, to me, just like asking me to follow you.  It is generally going to cause me to do exactly the opposite.

All of the above is why I was a grumpy old bear.   I hope I didn't upset you - you seem like a very nice person and I wish you luck in the contest.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

OK

17. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

Some of these Hubbers with these high scores tongue also use to have low scores once upon a time smile the scores are no reflection of you as a person hmm remember, write a hub, promote the hub. Write a hub in the morning and spend the afternoon or next morning on promotion smile manage your activities wisely and drop in on the forums and help others, answer a question, share in some of the silly forums wink lol mix work with play smile

I still say we should be able to turn hubscores off. Since their movement appears to be arbitrary, they only serve to discourage or feed the ego of the hubber. I see no upside, but a large downside.

1. hazelwood4 profile image67
        hazelwood4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder sometimes if the Hubscore goes down when we are too active, Bill.  I am not sure, but it might act as a SPAM filter or something.  My Hubber score goes from 84 to 78 all of the time, and I am really not sure what causes this to happen either.  Keep on Hubbing and don't let this get you down!

18. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

They are there to nudge you into doing what Hubpages wants you to do, rather than just what makes you the most money.  So I think there is an upside, just not for us wink

19. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Yep- let me second a lot of Hubbers in this thread by saying that HubScores fluctuate, and the best thing you can do if they're stressing you out is to ignore them entirely! Keep on Hubbing, and your HubScore will improve on its own smile

20. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 12 years ago

I go up to 100 and drop to 84 before. Over three years it been doing that. Mostly now though I stay around 90-97. No worries m8, it dont mean anything really.

~thranax~

21. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

Check this out:  Yesterday, I published a new Hub and won a HubNuggets contest and my score went down by 4 points!!!!!!!!!  What a system.

22. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

Consider you Hubscore a Carrot and a Stick

if it goes down it's a Stick to do more work

If it goes up it's a Carrot to do more achieve more...tongue

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Except that making more hubs makes it go down--so it's kind of a counter-productive stick.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

nope I disagree! mine usually goes up if i publish.  If I don't it gradually goes down

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Then you must have mastered the art of posting new hubs that already have scores in the 80s, rather than starting in the 50s.

23. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

We WON"T figure it out.

I have had times where traffic and earnings are up, I've gained comments and a whole pile of those useful, funny thingies and the hubber score has dropped 3 or 4 points.

Whatever causes it is not for us to know, so. there is no point in thinking about it at all.

1. hazelwood4 profile image67
      hazelwood4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So true!  There is really no reason to fret about our Hubber scores for sure.  Mine goes up and down all the time!

24. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

I've had my hubber score rise up to a 97 after a period of 9 days where i've not even touched my laptop (let alone my Hubpages account)

I've started to think it may take a period of at least a few days before any action on the site translates to a rise in hubber score

Yes, I have suspected that too, but I have still seen dips and rises that can't be explained by anything we can see.

25. lukeuk profile image64
    lukeukposted 12 years ago

I try to ignore the score, apparently according to others it has nothing to do with traffic. Its just hard to ignore it when its smack bang on your profile picture ! I wish HP would delete it to be honest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)