Be patient with your hubs and you will be okay

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I just wanted to say to persons who have been wondering when HP or their hubs will pay off. It's a slow process for some. Others will get there much faster but your day will come.

Here I have a little encouragement.

A hub fluctuates between 75 and 85, Views 1027 of which only 182 of those views come from HP. All the other views are from outside sources mostly Google. Now this is a drop in the bucket for most people but the point I am making is that sooner or later your hard work will pay off. This hub has been sitting there and then a few months ago I noticed the traffic trickling in. Every day the views climb. By the way, the hub only has 10 comments so not very popular here on HP.

Be patient.

1. DabbleYou profile image63
      DabbleYouposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement. I do need that. wink

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome DabbleYou! smile

2. rLcasaLme profile image69
      rLcasaLmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank You Cardisa. I'll sure be patient with mine. wink

3. calpol25 profile image60
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Cardisa smile

You are welcome guys! I was just encouraging you to keep plugging away and don't give up.

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Then Panda comes along and takes all your traffic away again.

Don't be so down Izzy. I know it's rough but I think everything is going to be okay. I think we just keep producing fresh and rich content with lots of good information and we will be fine.

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you honestly think earning money online is that simple?

I certainly appreciate that you're being encouraging, and I'm definitely sure that you genuinely mean well but still ...

You're actually giving out thin advice to people that may be desperately trying to earn a extra few dollars. Encouragement is fine when it's based on solid foundations.

I am not giving out advice, I am being encouraging, last time I checked they were different.

How is encouraging someone to keep the faith and keep at it bad for them? I am in no way telling them how to make money, I am just saying, those people who want to give up "don't' because things can start to get better.

I know making money online isn't easy and some days I wan't to throw in the towel and leave hubpages and my blogs, but I see improvements in my measly income and that's where my motivation come from.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Unless of course your hubs are not well designed, don't get traffic and never earn more than a few cents. 

That is also a possible outcome.

Damn where's the like button!

4. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Unless of course the video hubs are to be the new bees knees.

5. cherylone profile image88
    cheryloneposted 12 years ago

Cardisa, thank you for the great encouragement, I do get down sometimes, but I'm still plugging along and hoping....  smile

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Encouraging people to do effective things helps them, encouraging them to do ineffective things does not.

I would say: Yay for Patience!

But also: Yay for learning!  You may need to get better at this or even do something else instead to meet your personal goals.  Being frustrated may be good for this process.

What ineffective things did I encourage them to do? All I was trying to say is keep going. I can't know what each and every person does in order to say do this or do that. Saying to people, who I do know get discouraged because they thought money would be in the pocket sooner, don't give up because you might be surprised, is that ineffective?

I am sorry if my encouragement is bad for people.

7. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

If some one needs advice on how to market their hubs or how to write effective SEO articles, that's a different kettle of fish. People can then find out how to get the traffic the need.

1. NayNay2124 profile image81
      NayNay2124posted 12 years agoin reply to this

For those of us who are new to HubPages, thank you very much for the encouragement. I love to write, so if I can earn an income doing it, that's great.

8. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Cardisa, you started this thread with a narrow focus: hubbers who have not seen monetary results yet and who are impatient as a result.  It really is admirable to promote patience, when patience is what is lacking.

But frogdropping, IzzyM, and psycheskinner have injected notes of realism here, based on their experience and expertise with online publishing.  That perspective is also essential.  Sometimes an impatient Hubber's problem is not actually their impatience, but their lack of skills in other areas.  In those situations, being patient may actually be counter-productive.

I don't think anyone faults you for wanting to encourage people who are discouraged, but it is usually best to identify the real problem before offering solutions. (In some cases, several different solutions may need to be tried at the same time.)

1. rmcrayne profile image93
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

9. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

For my part I was reffering to your reply to Izzy. A hubber that lost her income. Telling Izzy that you think producing fresh content etc will bring things around isn't encouragement, that's a platitude. And if you'd have said that to me I would have been ever so slightly ticked off.

So I'm cool with you being ticked off at me for appearing to dampen your emcouragement of others.

It is worth noting (though) that encouraging folks is all well and good if what you're saying is a truth.

Here's my encouragement - if you are serious about making money, learn SEO, learn how to work online and write on HP by all means. I did, and this site put me onto a path I'd have otherwise never discovered. But - when you've learned your craft, build your own websites with the knowledge and experience that you've gained.

Anyone that puts all their eggs into one basket is riding for a fall - and THAT is encouraging and the truth.

Thanks for pointing out to me what I did wrong. I, in no way meant to hurt Izzy's feelings.

I am sorry Izzy.

I just wanted her to be encouraged to keep at it and try again.

I guess one of the things is that people like me who signed up after PANDA, don't have any real experiences of it to go by so we think whatever little traffic we are getting is cool.

Again I apologize to everyone who tried to assist with my encouragement.

I don't think you owe any apologies Cardisa - though at least you have the heart to offer one. You were being genuine, and I did point that out. And there are still hubbers that are making $'s on HP.

10. sunforged profile image74
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Riding For A Fall : http://youtu.be/biVcW0WTzzk   smile

For the record, Ive never been much for the "it takes time" philosophy. Its not inaccurate but it suggests that you cant make overnight success, and you can.

I bought my house in part with HP generated income. I was 2.5 years in at that point. It's the hubs that made a few hundred in a week that did that for me. Most of which are long dead now.

A good game plan has both short and long term profits considered

...go ahead and have your fun!

1. profile image0
      kelleywardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I think it is easy to get pulled into the making money aspect of Hubpages, I know I have already. But I try to remember my focus which is to use this as a place to write, share, and learn. If I can still with that then the extra money is just a plus.

The truth is many of us signed on because we wanted an income and we believed that HP was the place to do it. I for one had been searching for ways to make a living online when I met HP, so it's kinda hard not to think about the money aspect of it. I still am working on making HP my primary source of income...well I hope it works.

Writing is my passion and my doctor once said to me, after I went to him in my depressed state, "why don't you do something you love?" So here I am trying to do the one things that makes me feel special, make a living from it. I win both ways. I get to keep my hobby as my job..lol

11. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

I would definitely say that unless you have the right skillset from day one, it's going to take time, so preaching patience is important.

But it's very true that one can slave away on certain kinds of articles that never get traffic, and become discouraged. Some ways of presenting your material are more successful than others at drawing traffic and income.

Here's my encouragement: if one of your goals is to make money, the good news is that there is a ton of free resources and tutorials on Hubpages and beyond teaching you techniques to improve your writing so that it will not only be excellent once readers find it, but will also help bring readers to it. (Look up Copyblogger's magnetic headlines tutorials, for just one example.)

The hard part is sifting out the scammy advice from the good advice. It's the same problem one has when trying to decide whose financial advice to follow. Some is good, some is bad, and you have to learn to judge which is which. But over time, if you keep studying, you'll improve your game.

Also, alas, Izzy is right that Google can change its algorithm and thwack sites that were previously successful. So one of the "pro techniques" you'll probably want to adopt sooner or later is to publish and build up income on different websites, just like a smart financial planner diversifying a portfolio.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)