Why don't kids respect parents anymore?

Jump to Last Post 51-100 of 159 discussions (188 posts)
  1. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 10 years ago

Kids don't respect parents anymore for two reasons:

1) Parents don't instill the same "fear" in their children - the parents don't teach their children that they are the boss. 

2) Parents these days are too scared the law will be called so they do not want to do anything.

2. profile image0
    desireegordianposted 10 years ago

There are many reasons for this. When a person doesn't feel respected, they might loose respect for the person who doesn't value their thinking or feelings. 

Another reason could be, sometimes we don't learn what respect is in the household. Parents might be disrespectful to each other and others. Children see this and believe that this is the way they should treat people.

Sometimes disrespect is learned outside the home. I believe teaching children about boundaries, self-respect, and helping them improve their self-esteem gives them a better idea of how to treat others.

Some parents are just nasty and rude with their kids, and that's exactly what they're going to receive. Finally, some kids just have nasty personalities, and this is the only way they can express themselves, by being disrespectful.

3. solarcaptain profile image61
    solarcaptainposted 10 years ago

Because one breadwinner isn't enough to pay the bills.  Kids are left to fend for themselves and learn all about the wrong kind of living on television and the Internet. They are pressed into doing adult things before they are ready and think whatever they have picked up elsewhere is gospel. Some kids are into drugs and don't respect anyone including themselves.  Other kids get things instead of adult supervision and develop an attitude of entitlement.  They have everything made by man but have no soul or understanding of what others are going through to buy all the stuff they demand.  They are quick to take advantage of others including parents and friends.  Our institutions have failed in many respects to provide steady leadership in the area of ethics and civic responsibility.  Kids know about these things because they are aware of the world and all its permutations. It is hard to respect any authority when there is continuing bad news about corporate wrong doing, while the rich pile on more personal wealth and kids go hungry
    in the U.S. because both parents can't make enough through work to support them.  Kids are lied to about drugs and consequences, they can put on a uniform at 18 and go to battle but cannot buy a beer.  Still ambivalent about the role of sex in the lives of young people, elders push old values that make no sense onto teens who have decided to have sex.  Instead of education on the subject they receive plumbing lessons.  They must learn the old fashioned way about sex and get faulty information from peers. Many schools start to early in the morning
    when kids have the hardest time waking and absorbing information.  When things are going well in school and the momentum for learning is going well, schools stop for the summer releasing thousands of kids to waste away at home for several non-productive weeks.  The reason for summer vacation originally was to give the parent farmers workers when the harvest came in.  Why do we continue to waste this time and the bricks and mortar lying fallow over the summer when there is no longer a need?  Kids also lose respect when there is alcoholism and substance abuse in the home, certainly we all know of the families affected by this scourge.  Families that fail to teach a solid foundation built on lasting values will see their children take up the values of others in the community and will not always find them to their liking.  These are the real reasons kids don't respect elders.

4. Kolin Harrison profile image61
    Kolin Harrisonposted 10 years ago

I think part of the reason is that they are given so much at such a young age that they have grown up learning that they can have fun, expensive, cool things. I surely didn't have anything even close to some of the things I see kids have these days. I didn't have any of it till I was 16+. Now there are a lot of kids that have even more than I have now. So, they feel entitled to it all and don't like to be told no because of it.

5. Roy Savage profile image61
    Roy Savageposted 10 years ago

Parenting styles and technological advancements have taken away "Quality" family time.  We all have it in us to be outstanding parents!  No excuses!  We know right from wrong.  It's just easier to take the wrong path and do the wrong thing.  So, the kids learn these behaviors from their parents and revolt, if you will, against them.  They don't feel loved or protected.

6. icv profile image51
    icvposted 10 years ago

i think it is some thing different from family to family. we see few family, the family members keeping hard relationship and some other family who don't keep such a kind. If the kids learned good from their parents absolutely the kids live as a good person. further when a kid grew he/ she may tend to get more and more freedom from family.

7. mikentosh profile image60
    mikentoshposted 10 years ago

It's because parents aren't disciplining their kids like they used to.  It's hard to get respect from a kid that knows your a pushover, and that you don't follow through on "if you do that again I'm going to" scenarios.  Have you ever respected a boss that was a pushover, worried more about being liked than being effective. 
    Also so many of us come from broken homes, one parent gone all time. We don't know how to be parents, we won't able to see good parenting in action.  So were left with instinct and the internet. 
    Remember you have from when they are 18 on to be friends, kids need parents when their kids, if you don't hear I hate you, or how your so horribles a month, your probably not doing your job.

8. Organised Kaos profile image88
    Organised Kaosposted 10 years ago

Agree with many above. Today there is no serious consequences, or really I should say middle ground consequences.
    Parents aren't allowed to smack and discipline, yet its all their fault when a child goes off the rails!

Once they do something that is serious, we throw the book at them...

9. manatita44 profile image73
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

Well, when I started work 40 years ago, I used to do seven and a half hours. Somewhere along the line, long days started, and a little later, perhaps because of the demands of modern consumerism, I noticed that many of us simply were not doing thirty seven and a half hours any more, but much more.

A friend I know told me that he works 6 days a week and they are all long days. He gets home and the children want to play but he is too tired. I have not yet mentioned the wife, but mostly both parents work, and the mother post giving birth is forced to return to work too soon. So neglect of our children, I feel is one of the causes. We mean well and we buy them many things but we are not usually there, and they grow up like this.

The T.V also plays its part, but in general I think its a combination of parents, school and the state which is responsible. Long hours, T.V and computers, as well as modern day electronics, exarcerbate the problem.

Finally, one key thing is the absence of morals and ethics from schools. For some reason, there seem to be an aversion to them in modern society.

10. profile image52
    MerneyDenposted 10 years ago

Well , Not all kids are like that people's standard of living is getting better and better now, and only one child in a lot of families,and there are a lot of parents for children are too spoiled, this will cause they do not know the respect for parents, I think the way of  parents education is very important .

11. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

People treat us as we allow them to.treat us.......young, old, adult, child.  My "kids"...who long ago became adults, respect me, always have and I'm fairly sure always will.  I not only never gave them reason to NOT respect me......they were well-informed it was not an option.   
    Of course I see and hear all forms of disrespect being thrown about by KIDS....directed toward not only their parents, but any and all adults.  Rather than belabor this, just re-read my first sentence.    Have a wonderful day!  Peace, Paula

12. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I think some parents don't respect kids, therefore they haven't earned the right to be respected by them. Some kids are just disrespectful because they learn bad habits from their peers. Some parents are worth anyone's respect, let alone their own kids'. Some parents don't demand it. Some don't earn it. Some don't want it.

In other words, I have no clue. Could be a thousand reasons, could be nothing related to the parents or the kids in particular. Could be societal flaw. I dunno, sorry. :-|

I try to always respect my parents, even if they did something disrespectful, just because overall they're respectable people who did a fine job as parents (they put up with me, after all :-) ).

In general, I think if you show respect to someone they will show it to you in return, like a handshake or a hug. Unless, you know, um, respect, handshakes, and hugs aren't "cool" this season or somethin'.

13. profile image51
    Taylor Casperposted 10 years ago

Simple. There are two ways to get respect from children. The first is through fear, and the second is by treating them with dignity. As a society, we've grown to realize that terrorizing children is wrong. However, we are stuck in the middle. Adults still believe they should have absolute control over their children's lives, rather than treating them as actual people with thoughts and feelings.

As a teenager, when my parents would ask me to do things or would set limits on my actions and I would ask why, I was more or less told 'Because I said so.' and that was that. They didn't bother giving a rational explanation for their decisions. That's blatant disrespect, and it breeds disrespect in return.

14. Kalmiya profile image66
    Kalmiyaposted 10 years ago

Because parents gave them too much with no responsibility or understanding of what it meant.

1. realtalk247 profile image76
      realtalk247posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The rise in children's pain due to family breakups remain unaddressed. Parents raise kids believing there are no consequences for poor behavior and love displayed by buying clothing/electronics. Discipline as a child transfers into adulthood.

15. bethtorrs profile image61
    bethtorrsposted 10 years ago

For me, it depends upon the situation, and of course, culture and environmental is a  factor to it.... I'd also say that it is the matter of how these kids are disciplined by their parents. In European countries, children are knowledgeable enough with their rights. Some at the age of 18 and above are considered independent already.
    But not in Asian countries, mostly they live with their parents, even though these kids are working already. Others may have their own families yet, parents as well live with their children and vice verse.
    It is indeed ironic, why some kids doesn't respect their parents anymore, obviously these kids have their own reason why. And truly enough one reason would be how they are brought  up by them. Some of these kids, would look back their younger years, and find these regrets in their life that leads them to uncertainty in life present.
    Much more, if these parents doesn't care anyway even with the situation of these' kids insanity.
    Maybe it's not the question of why, but how and who. Who influence these kids not to respect them? And who are these kids? How did they end up disrespectful towards their parents? How on earth they were able to do such cruelty towards their folks?
    I, myself is also a daughter, yet true as it is, I have my own reason who made me disrespectful to my folks. I have my own reason how it happen that way. These incidents may occur the moment my folks would trigger me, especially my patience! The moment I feel like I'm going to burst out my disappointments to them, I would end up answering back, flew away myself outside the house and run far to my friends and go home very late at night, just to pissed them off on me.
    However, it does not solve the issue, yet the more it creates a negative idea behind me. Despite of the bad idea, momentarily it helps me relieve my anger and my annoyance to them. With friends, I would be able to burst out my feelings and emotions against my folks. I admit, it helps when someone listens to you.
    Now that I am a mother of a 6  years old girl, a total discipline is applied to her. These includes correcting her from her mistakes, introducing her to self acceptance, teaching her about contentment, and letting her understand why she is being punished. I love my daughter very much, and i guess every parents does to their kids. This is one reason why it is my passion to look after her needs in parental matter. Be true to yourself and to your kids, because we are model to them.

16. UpixxIndustries profile image41
    UpixxIndustriesposted 10 years ago

I feel that it is a combination of things.  The first is that the parents are trying to promise themselves that they will not raise their children as their parents did.  Unfortunately from generation to generation that means that there is a loss of morals being passed down. Another reason is because marriage today really means a lot less to a lot more of people so if children are part of a divorce family environment then there is competition between the parents for the love and affection of the child. Now let's throw society's warped morals and values into the mix.  Between the media making sex, drugs, violence and blood shed seem so cool the children are picking it up.
    Some parents think that they are too busy to stay clued into their children's life and feel that the school system is responsible for their teachings of values and morals.  However if you think about it the education system is just a sad (now adays) as capitol hill. 
    One final thought before I get off of my soapbox.  Do the parent's show respect for the child? If they do not respect themselves or the child, then how is the child supposed to show respect for the parents?

17. prosetrainee profile image60
    prosetraineeposted 10 years ago

Sometimes a parent doesn't want to be a disciplinarian. And parents want to be "cool" or their child's best friend.

Right?

1. msginger profile image73
      msgingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is wrong with being your child's friend? Would you rather be their enemy?

18. profile image53
    koreangirl1977posted 10 years ago

In modern times,  we allow our children to get away with a lot more stuff than years ago. If we spank our kids in public,  we are afraid we will go to jail or CPS will be called. It's considered taboo in the modern world but years ago, it was the norm.

19. ravi1991 profile image61
    ravi1991posted 10 years ago

Because parents do not teach their kids manners anymore.
    It is the duty of mother to give time to her offspring but she prefers money and there is where it goes all the wrong.

20. cindyyy94 profile image61
    cindyyy94posted 9 years ago

Kids don't respect parents anymore because of the way our society has become. Parents are not parenting and media is making it acceptable for children to grow up rapidly and become what they think are adults at a young age. Parents especially need to take control and lay down the law instead of trying to be friends with their kid. Your kid will have plenty of friends growing up but they'll only have one set of parents.

21. ravenlt04 profile image60
    ravenlt04posted 9 years ago

2 main issues: 1) parents don't demand/require respect from their kids by having rules and consequences in place, and 2) the media is a horrible influence. Kids on television, for instance, speak and behave horribly to their parents; kids (and parents) have begun to think it's normal. Also, parents' desire to give their kids better than they had and to allow their kids freedom of speech and choice has gotten way out of hand.

22. ratnaveera profile image61
    ratnaveeraposted 9 years ago

I can say that parents should be responsible for the secured and happy life of their kids. Then only they can expect  respect and love from them. Most importantly kids should be guided and taught throughout their life to be genuine, honest and patient.

23. cebutouristspot profile image77
    cebutouristspotposted 9 years ago

I think its wisdom that parents try to pass on their kids.  When the kids have no idea what they are talking about.

24. profile image0
    Daniella Lopezposted 9 years ago

I think one of the major issues is that parents don't show their children respect, either. I'm not saying that parents should let their kids be the center of their universe, walk all over them, etc. I'm just saying that sometimes, as parents, we need to actually listen to what our kids are trying to tell us. Show them some respect and they'll show it back.

Another thing, it really seems like a lot of parents today ignore their children or give them way too much attention. It's always one extreme to the other; there's never a happy middle point. Give your kids attention, but don't make them the center of your universe.

25. baybpnk profile image69
    baybpnkposted 9 years ago

That is a loaded question. Kids don't respect anyone, let alone their parents. Maybe it is growing up in a society where everything is instant and 10 year old kids have iphones and are spoiled by their parents. That teaches the child that they can have whatever they want in their life and they think it should be that way.
    Spoiled kids aren't the only reason, definitely a mixture of parenting styles are to blame as well.

26. rocksever profile image59
    rockseverposted 9 years ago

Because these parents did not respect their elders. So its retribution.

27. Shar-0n17 profile image59
    Shar-0n17posted 9 years ago

Before children can respect others they need to have received and learned the meaning of respect.
    I blame parents for not showing their children and setting an example themselves on how to earn and learn to respect their own family, friends and the law.  They need to face up to their own mistakes and pay for them by having to do penance or pay out of their pocket money.
    Age should make no difference.  Be honest they know what is right and what is wrong. There are no excuses, toughen up parents and set an example.

28. Atul Dahiya profile image73
    Atul Dahiyaposted 9 years ago

Respect has to be earned. Now-a-day parents do not even respect each other and indulge in arguments and fights in front of their children. This damages and ruins their image in the eyes of their children. You should behave in a proper manner and conduct yourselves in front of your children, if you want to earn their respect.

29. Li Galo profile image75
    Li Galoposted 9 years ago

Different kids have different needs so approaches can vary but the expectations can remain the same. I have two teens and a nine year old. They listen, they do as they're told, there's very little talking back or almost no arguing at all. Schoolwork gets done. Chores get done. I get compliments and some parents even ask me for help with their kids.

My formula works for me. I was a present parent when it came to school, friends, and extra curricular activities. I listened to them when I didn't feel like it. I don't allow inappropriate tv or films that promote brats, sex, drugs or violence. I limit tv and computer use. I set firm consequences for crossing the line. They might be teenagers but they still are in bed by 10pm on a school night - with lights out. I love my kids and enjoy time having fun with them but it's clear to them I'm always the boss. I always hear how teens are 'so hard.' This isn't my experience. My teens (a boy and a girl) aren't hard. They're usually easy. I think it's because expectations are clear, consequences are clear and rewards are given only to those who deserve or earn them. There is no expectation of digital devices or other materialistic items because they weren't raised that way. If I don't approve of a friend, that friend exits their life in a hurry. We have open communication lines. They aren't afraid to tell me what's in their hearts but I don't always do what they want or wish for. I never allowed an 'anything goes' mentality to set in. Dating wasn't allowed until age 16 and, even then, the dating happened in the living room (while I was in the kitchen) or with our family out together. Dating is with young people who I meet with and speak to before the dating even begins. Seem old-fashioned? Maybe. But some of the old ways worked for a reason. You don't end up with drug using, preggers teens when you know where they are (yes, under your nose is okay). Children need guidance - even as young adults. If you wouldn't just hand your car keys over without them taking a single driving lesson, then you don't just let them date without teaching them how, you don't just let them make stupid mistakes that get them fired from jobs... in other words, you don't set them up to fail before they've even learned how to succeed. They need leadership. When you're a good leader, they will look to you for guidance. You won't need to demand their respect. You'll have earned their respect because you respected them enough to be a REAL parent.

30. Erin Trefz profile image70
    Erin Trefzposted 9 years ago

I think we live in a society that tells us, and our kids it is acceptable.  Kids don't respect parents because the parents allow it.  If the kids are young, they need a lot from a parent. They most likely don't have the money to buy clothes, food, a car, etc.  Everything that child has is from the parents.  With many homes either single parent, or both parents working, there is little time and /or energy left at the end of the day.  Parents many times take the easy way (for now) out. 

We just started reading a few parenting books, and have found them helpful.  We thought we were not letting our kids (4 and 16 months) get away with much, but our eyes were opened.  We were letting them control our house.  Like many things, the more you are educated, the better. Reading books, and talking to other parents about what works, and what doesn't helps. You have to put the time in to get the result you want.  You need to decide what kind of people you want your kids to be.  I want mine to be respectful, contributing members of society.  That is why we are changing who runs the show at our house.  The earlier you start, the easier it is. 
    Some of the best advice i read was to "let reality be their teacher."  If you don't prepare them for the real world, and let them make mistakes in a safe and loving environment they could be devastated when they see how unforgiving the "real world" is.
    When we started, it got worse before it got better.  It did get better.

31. mistonja profile image59
    mistonjaposted 9 years ago

Parents are the root of it. They need to teach them when they are still babies that they cannot disrespect their parents or any other adult. It is the parents these days. They get pregnant at 16 an dicide to keep it and don't know how to raise that kid. The people nowadays -.-'

32. oscarwms profile image63
    oscarwmsposted 9 years ago

Today we have a lot of teen mothers and fathers wanting to be friends friends with there children. Children don't need another friend, they need a parent to give them direction. If you try to be their friend and then get angry with them they will regret it and start to resent you, disrespect you and not listen to you.

33. mgeorge1050 profile image84
    mgeorge1050posted 9 years ago

Parents today seem a lot less strict than they were back in my day. I have also noticed that today's children watch a ton of television.  All of the popular kids shows rarely have any parents or adult role models as main characters.  The adults that are on these shows are portrayed as idiots.

34. cperuzzi profile image89
    cperuzziposted 9 years ago

The easy answer is that they're now a bunch of sociopaths who have desensitized themselves from every value we've been raised on.

While it is easy to spout "respect authority", we are also teaching our children to "question everything".  This puts pressure on their parents to "know more".  If they aren't internet savvy, that could be a problem.  They can't get away with "because I said so."

In some senses, it's good.  In many others, not so much.

Parents have a choice.  They can either hit the kids where it hurts or earn their respect in other ways.  Hell, today's kids don't understand more than what money can buy them.  If they are to be punished, take away their internet privileges and cell phones.  You need to establish that you're in charge - and if they don't like it, tough.  Move out.

Parents these days have to understand when enough is enough.  When they start disciplining their kids properly and back it up with sound logic, then AND ONLY THEN, will they get their kids to not only listen but to appreciate some of their wisdom.

35. phillippeengel profile image82
    phillippeengelposted 9 years ago

This can be mostly attributed to bad media influence. They might perhaps watch undesirable scenes and read misleading articles about parenting and parents in general, such that they develop an ego which cannot be pulverized.

36. suresh mano profile image39
    suresh manoposted 9 years ago

kinds will respect their parents, if you are behaving like a friend. while i was a kid , i used respect my dad a lot. because he was the my first and best friend ever.

1. Tammy Cox profile image60
      Tammy Coxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Right on!   The best parents are also their child's best friend.

37. specialm profile image62
    specialmposted 9 years ago

Kids don't respect parents any more as in the past simply because parents don't seem to recognise their responsibilities over their children. Often times we as parents seem to do more to provoke than to win.  Love is the key to a child's heart.  Duty and love must be blended in order that children may be properly disciplined and in turn respect parents.

Home is the heart of all activities.  Society is composed of families, and is what the heads of families make.  Out of the heart are the issues of life and the heart of the community, of the church, and of the nation is the household.  The well-being of society, the success of the church, the prosperity of the nation, depend upon home influences.

God wants us as parents to care for our children not just to respect us and be a blessing and to make others happy but also to honour and glorified His name (God). I we trained our children to respect us as parents they will grow up to love and care for nature as well as love and respect for God.

Some parents raise many a storm and disrespect in their children because of their lack of self-control The wickedness which exist in the world today may be traced to the neglect of parents to discipline themselves and their children. Hence the reason why so many children disrespect parents today.

It is not the will of God that children shall become coarse, rough, disrespectful, uncontentious, disobedient, thankful, unholy, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures and even  more than lovers of God.

The object of discipline is the training of the child for self-government.  He should be taught self-reliance and self-control. As soon as he is capable of understanding, his reason should be enlisted on the side of respect and obedience.

Children imitate parents.  Fathers and Mothers are teachers before their children. the Kids are the pupils. As parents our tones of voice, our deportment, our spirit, are copied by our children.  Great care should be taken  to give them correct models.  Parents who are kind, polite, respectful and gentle at home, while at the same time they are firm and decided, will see the same traits manifested in their children. If parents are doing the opposite at home they will see the same in their children.

However, if mothers and fathers are not respecting each other at home they will see the same in their children and they will act it in the outside world.

38. hotwebideas profile image62
    hotwebideasposted 9 years ago

Great question. My 10 year old is starting to have a mind of her own and it is getting quite scary.

I'd guess that in today's society, we don't use violence anymore to reprimand our kids like they did in the old days, so sure it makes sense that kids are not listening to verbal queues any longer.

I also think that children respond to grounding differently than they used to and now with all the crazy hip hop songs out there with their lyrics, you never know what kids are picking up. My daughter can get any YouTube video and most of what she listens to is questionable.

39. ajosh143 profile image60
    ajosh143posted 9 years ago

Kids have good power of observation.
    they learn from what they observe and try to copy or imitate whatever that they see, and eventually it becomes a habit.

40. Christopher Bruce profile image58
    Christopher Bruceposted 9 years ago

While being a massively general question, this one is actually very simply answered.  It's all about what you're taught, and how your "teachers" act thereafter.  Respect is quickly lost for parents by children, over time, for a number of reasons, of which there are primarily just three:

1.  Hypocrisy.  There's no better way to lose your respect with your kids than being a firm believer in the adage "Do as I say, not as I do".  Practice what you duly preach, or you'll lose your children's respect as soon as they begin thinking for themselves.

2.  The Department of Child Protective Services.  Thanks to this invention of our states, children can no longer be disciplined in any fashion without dire consequences or lawsuits.  And when you, the child, have the power as well as the last say over your parents, how can any child possibly respect their authority as being in place over them?

3.  The Law.  Our current system of law has further wrongly approved of this way of dealing with parents and their actions; while, most of the time, parents are merely attempting to bring their children's moral standards up to par.  It has also, in fact, helped to enable children in bringing suit against their parents, and give them ways to charge them with real life-damaging crimes; possibly not committed, like physical abuse, mental abuse, alongside a host of others, often without a lot of basis or proof needed.  And if you're really upset about...whatever it was you were upset about to begin with, you can then file for complete freedom from them.  How can you possibly respect them then?

Respect, in its simplicity, is based on hierarchy.  It can, at times, also be based on wisdom, age, and other factors.  What's more (something younger people have absolutely NO understanding of), respect is earned, never deserved automatically...except where your parents are concerned.  Then it's deserved.  They gave birth to you.  They raised you, fed you and cared for you, probably during every waking moment of your life, as well as theirs.  Parents these days, because of state-run offices like DHS, as well as the law that backs and supports their actions, are at absolute zero, where influence or being respected for what they are absolutely, is concerned.

1. Li Galo profile image75
      Li Galoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with number one. Children should NOT do as we do but what we say. They should NOT drive cars. They should NOT drink alcohol. They should NOT stay up late. They are NOT adults. Therefore, they are NOT entitled to adult privileges.

41. Mjain1994 profile image61
    Mjain1994posted 9 years ago

Its not like that children don't respect their parents from the time they were small children,but as by the time they realizes that they don't need there parents anymore,they react the same way what a person do to a tissue paper or a handkerchief after using it.
    The independence or freedom that children get and the extra care or concern that these days parents show to there children,its one of the reason that children starts taking their parents for granted and slowly by the time this make them behave in a very different way as if parents do not deserve anymore respect or they are expecting too much from their children to that they deserve

42. Penny G profile image61
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

Well you get what you give. They learn what we teach. They do as we do not as we say. SO with that in mind, think about how adults treat each other now days.

43. Bassem Girgis profile image59
    Bassem Girgisposted 9 years ago

This is a great question. Where can we start. Well, back in the day, not too long ago, the theme that parents chose to live by was passing on old morals, values, and ethics that was taken from grandparents, passed down generations, until it reached current children.
    However, now a days, the theme for parents is to try to have as much fun and personal time while raising kids. Even though this is not a bad idea, however, the morals and values tend to be lost.
    Add television, media, and trends to all that, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    I was raised in hell, but with morals and values, the result, I stand up when an older person walks in the room.
    We keep blaming the times while the problem is in the house.

Best wishes,
    Bassem Girgis
    www.selfpromise.com

1. Penny G profile image61
      Penny Gposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Aww yes, I see this daily at work in a men's prison. You would be surprised at how many have great respect for woman. THey will encourage the others who don't do do the same. addressed with more respect there than in public places it seems.

2. msginger profile image73
      msgingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And yet they are in prison for some reason. I understand where you're coming from but I think real respect comes from within. You learn ways to communicate your respect, yes, but if you just follow the rules without feeling the value behind it - what

44. lupandiomo profile image62
    lupandiomoposted 9 years ago

2Tim3:1-5 is one other  thing to think about other biblical books.

45. jezrel sagnep profile image60
    jezrel sagnepposted 9 years ago

Because today's youths face daily pressures from peers. They are exposed to the influence of TV, movies, the music industry, and the Internet.

or they fall into destructive forms of behavior because of lack of proper guidance.

actually, we are already living in a period that Bible describes as "critical times hard to deal with." (2 Timothy 3:1-5). It also says here that children will be "disobedient to parents".

46. themom1309 profile image59
    themom1309posted 9 years ago

just from my personal experience working in the education field... I think as each generation goes by, it seems as if parents don't know how to parent.  In my opinion It seems like their way of "best parenting" is by giving into whatever the children want.  I see so many times a child scream and throw a fit over the dumbest things and almost instantly the parent gives in.  As the child gets older (I teach preschool) they expect to get whatever they want instantly.  I also think its lack of discipline and teaching their children simple manners and how to respect elders.  Just saying

47. lostohanababy profile image58
    lostohanababyposted 9 years ago

Kids have to be taught 'respect' when they are little and then reminded as they are growing.  Kids don't like to hear it, but to keep law and peace in the house, they have to be reminded, 'constantly'..   Its no good to 'over' spoil a kid.  The cuteness of spoiling wears off, quick, when they are confident they can get away with doing things, and you as the parent 'cave' and let them have their way.

48. mcrawford76 profile image89
    mcrawford76posted 9 years ago

There also has to be a fear of consequences. And if the worst you can do is take away their PlayStation, it's really not too terrible of a consequence.

I have what I would call a relaxed style of parenting. My daughters know the rules, but they also know that there can be severe consequences if the rules are broken. (P.S. I have a 15, and a 12 year old who are both very much in the "teenage angst" period)

At one time we had the rule that I would take something away from you that you love every time you said an unkind word, just because I was tired of the bickering. That seemed to curb it pretty quick.

1. lostohanababy profile image58
      lostohanababyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesome.  Sounds like you are on your way becoming a great parent!

2. profile image53
      evilpassionposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I did that to my daughter her room would be empty in one afternoon and she would be burning down the house, and the police would say it was my fault for mistreating her by taking her things.

49. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

Its due to the weakening of ethical teaching in society. Once religion taught such things but now there is no alternate method of moral instruction.

50. the3mushketeers profile image58
    the3mushketeersposted 9 years ago

i know this is a very controversial view but every time i am told kids these days don't respect their parents this is the first thought that comes to my head:

parents are probably the most influential entities in a child's life so it is only logical that they try and imitate their parents. so if the parents are not respecting their parents it is illogical to expect that their children would treat them as honorable...moreover it is all in the upbringing. i mean it is sad to see that parents are largely responsible for how their children turn out but at some or the other point end up thinking that their children don't respect them. seriously, it is what you said or taught or behaved like that is responsible for you believing that you child does not give you enough respect! and being a part of "gen y" i know that most of us have a lot of love and respect for our parents and look up to them with utmost admiration. 

it would be nice if sometimes the parent generation take a nice long look at us and try to see through the surface and understand the fact that it is not disrespect we have for you! i am not saying our generation is being parented badly... because we are not! all im trying to say is if you feel your children or children all over the world are disrespecting parents its just fair to reassess your parenting strategies before declaring children to have less value for elders!

i am sorry if this seems rude but im sure there are children who can relate to this!
                                                                     - purple phoenix

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)