why do people cheat?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

If your with someone and dont want to be with them then dont. That simple dont cheat on them it makes things worse!!!

1. leeberttea profile image57
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure it sounds simple enough, but relationships are complex with numerous forces acting upon each individual pulling and pushing them in all directions. Sometimes cheating isn't something that's planned but the result of a confluence of circumstances and events the result in a suspension of good judgement, and sometimes it's just the inevitable result of a combination of personalities that could never possibly react in a way that would form a strong bond.

2. Ben Evans profile image65
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think people cheat for many reasons.  Often it is rationlized and made to be all right in peoples minds.  I beleive that it is one of the most heinous deceptions a person can heap on their partner.

I agree with you that if a person does not want to be in a relationship that it is better to end it than to cheat.

2. efeyas profile image75
    efeyasposted 13 years ago

Once a cheater....always a cheater. Men (ok women too, sometimes) cheat for different reason. Only the person doing the cheating can really say why they cheated. Usually, its a variety of things, problems in the relationship including financial reasons, sexual reasons, or just because they want to be devious and get away with something. Usually, the cheater is looking for something that they do not get in the relationship their in. Normally, they hang around in that relationship because its a cushion or something they can fall back on when they are not chasing tail!

1. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i dont agree with 'once a cheater, always a cheater'. sometimes things happen that shouldn't, but that doesnt mean that it will happen again and again.  you have to look at past behavior as well to determine future behavior.  there are usually signs that go with a compulsive cheater.

1. efeyas profile image75
        efeyasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That depends on how you define cheating. Emotionally cheating occurs 95% of the time with a person who has already physically cheated. So if you consider emtional attachments to someone other than your significant spouse not cheating then you are right.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

well...i think when someone steps out once and doesn't look back - then it could be a matter of circumstance etc. (not saying it is right) but....when they step out a number of times...i think they consciously made a decision to continue to cheat....and maybe should have taken all that energy (to cheat - 'cause I'm sure it takes a lot of thought and planning) to get out first rather than complicating things further in something that was already complicated....

Reminds me of someone I know. They are just a pathological cheater and are always stepping out on their relationship yet he stays with her and she stays and takes it. It just seems crazy but I guess she knows where her bread and butter is. Not sure if thats a reason but I guess everyones different.

4. Dobson profile image76
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

People cheat becasue there is no fear of the consequences. It has been too long for anyone to remember what happened to Lorena Bobbitt's husband when he cheated. Google it, it will give you all the graphic details.

Lol Thats was a fired up women.

5. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I don't think there is any one reason. I've known people that never thought they would and it just kind of happens. Crazy stuff.

6. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

it never just happens, that just an easy answer to get people of your back.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is this speaking from personal experience?

7. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

I was watching a report that said men cheat because some part of their brain becomes really active suggesting that what a woman would call infidelity... something of betrayal on an emotional level is nothing more than a mans basic human sex drive that is only sex. 

They suggested, that while it seems certainly true that there is a chemical reaction going on in the brain that 'convinces' them to cheat, there are other studies that say, they are well endowed to not do it because...

A study in other animals that have one mate forever have the same reactions going on their brains but they have "self control".  Not sure if it has anything to do with morals, breaking hearts etc...

I know my view isn't exactly popular but the Bible says that if he needs it, you need to give it him! And before you get all, ugh, boo, bible stuff... it also says that you don't have to if you don't want to, it just suggest that having a lot of sex in a marriage is good for the relationship because it will keep him from cheating.  No joke.

wink

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

2. Greek One profile image65
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

exactly!!!

It's not my fault!!..... my fricken brain chemicals!!!

Damn good for nothing head(s) always getting me into trouble!!!

8. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

People cheat b/c their partner is not satisfying them either emotionally or physically, or they're just whores

1. Greek One profile image65
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

whores has a negative, economic association...

can we not just use the term 'slut'?

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
        Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile or just "ho"

9. Jarn profile image60
    Jarnposted 13 years ago

Cheating comes about because of an innate propensity. It's believed by evolutionary psychologists to be genetically linked. See, men that cheat with as many women as possible increase their evolutionary fitness because it's more likely at least on of their kids will survive to adulthood to pass on his genes. Women, on the other hand, can only pop out one kid at a time. What's more, having a mate to help care for the child increases the chances of the child's survival. THis is why men tend to cheat more than women. In some cases, women cheat because having more than one mate around means her children are much more likely to survive than the rest. Just watch monkeys. Same deal.

10. USMCwifey09 profile image63
    USMCwifey09posted 13 years ago

There's some form of unhappiness with one or both parties; not wanting to cause confrontation, it seems like an easy out (lame of course, and actually causes more problems in the end).

11. ChimPhungHoang profile image60
    ChimPhungHoangposted 13 years ago

I have written about this under another pen-name during the past year or so--sorry if you missed it.
    I am, however, writing about other relationship issues here and now in HP. . . if you ever have other concerns.

12. watchya profile image61
    watchyaposted 13 years ago

Cheating is a sport some people like to play when they feel bored,left aside,old,or have some mental disorder as nymphomania, sex mania, hysterics, etc, etc etc ...LOL

13. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

Thinking back I don't think I've ever cheated. I've been cheated on a couple times though.

I do agree with the "male sex drive" causing some of it, I've watched some friends cheat or talk about other women while they currently had a gf, but it's usually the *cough* "what would I do with her...." type of thing. I've also witnessed friends (females) that cheated on their boyfriends as well, for whatever their reasons were.

14. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Why people do what they do is totally their own choice in life to make. Not only is it no one else's business, but we aren't even in a place to judge or second guess all the reasons that motivate others in the first place. I can only take responsibility for my own life and trust me that's a lot as it is.. smile

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

it is simple, anything worth having is worth cheating for. in many cases, just don't get caught.

16. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

Because so many poeple allow thier mates to get away with it. If yours doesn't, just go get another... chances are they will.

It is just another example of the moral degradation of society.

17. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Cheating only comes from the lack of self-control of desire and lack of Integrity for oneself.

There can never be an excuse to justify it. wink

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And, do you care to explain Kimberly? hmm

18. Rishy Rich profile image73
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

Why do people cheat?

...id takes over ego & the rest just happens.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)