Taking advantage of the new hub features - An experiment

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (34 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

The link suggestion tool and the keyword tabs are very powerful additions to the Hp arsenal.

Ive always tried to write in groups and interlink as much as possible.

I also like to occasionally look back at my analytics - see what terms I may not have considered and use those terms to add a few new paragraphs (and tags) to the hub that was receiving that traffic (if its really good, new hubs and blogs and sites are created also)

But as my portfolio grows, my older hubs may not always be remembered and interlinked into the new ones and opening and reading analytics then jumping back to Hp and editing can be time intensive - having a quick version of both these options is awesome!

So today Im going through EVERY hub and taking advantage of both these tools.

Ill come back in a week and let you know to what level it helped.

Im also adding news feeds to those that do not have them and sharing the hubs w/ followers, on HP, facebook and Twitter - so sorry if your inundated with posts from me along any of those networks.

Hope it works! as it will take hours.

Ive created a tracker just for todays experiment - so I will have a little hard data to share later also.

HubKarma aside, interlinking your own hubs is always a good idea!

2. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes, these two tools are two great additions indeed and they've proved useful for me too, although it does mean going back through over 600 hubpages and updating quite a few and linking related ones up and it's made me come across some of the bad hubpages I started out with and have a go at re-writing them too and I'm finding it quite fun actually, to see it all connecting up.....

3. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

Sunforged, do you get a lot of traffic from Facebook and Twitter? Are there other benefits to backlinking there?

I don't have a twitter account and I've never been one for sharing stuff on Facebook. But if I was going to benefit a lot from it then maybe I would.

sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Facebook,

I dont suggest hitting your personal friends with tons of links to your hubs. I do so as I am a full time online writer and marketer - this is what I do, it is as natural as posting sports scores for another.

The promo opportunity is low - but I like to converse and get feedback about the topic from my offline friends.

Twitter is great - depends mostly on your following - each time I hit "publish" 5.5k followers are potentially exposed - its worth the effort.

I so both usually via automated rss feed options - on facebook this can be done with "SocialRss" on Twitter "TwitterFeed"

4. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

Rss Feeds, I was actually reading about them today, considering on whether I should learn how to use them, seeing as I don't write anywhere else, only HP. I'm not really sure how Twitter works, but I can't imagine having many more followers than I have friends on Facebook. Definitely don't wanna be sending stuff to my friends all the time on Facebook, not unless it was really going to be worth it.

Well it would be worth it, if you felt your friends would like to read what you write and think about!

But very little monetary benefits.

Twitter and RSS are easily learned - I have tried to explain each in my hubs before. Both are suggested as easy techniques that CAN be very powerful as promo tools

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

sf, I've been doing this and it does seem to help, especially if the topic would bring in good news topics.[sometimes there is no news] I've noticed with the keywords tool that some are coming in from a news headline. I've even added content sometimes to answer a search and used it to fine tune tags. there's so much to learn and play around with. smile

that's a great idea to go back through all the hubs, I don't have that many, so I've done most of mine, but did not include links if they did not match the content. I think Paul said before in the testing stage, really think about if the link will work with your content before you link for 'links sake.' some of them don't match.

6. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 13 years ago

Interesting experiment! I've gone back through a few hubs and have tried to use the tools on them (love the keyword one), but I'm not as diligent as you when it comes to going back through every hub! You'll have to let us know how well this works.

7. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I have actually finally gained a vague interest in Twitter since the introduced retweeting, which offers an opportunity for 'Digg effect style viral marketting, if people find you interesting!

8. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Good stuff Sunforged smile

I'm sure there will be benefits in the longer term, though a lot of work the now. I'm on with seeing where things can be optimized and keep doing a few at a time.

It's one of those dumb things about hindsight. Had I know 'this' back 'then' I'd have done things differently! Now, with so many hubs it's a huge task.

Liking the HubKarma and loving the consternation it's causing :p

9. sunforged profile image71

well the project is bigger than I imagined, but luckily the AC is in my office, anyway big_smile

After a short break, I see lots of little red carrots and an increase of about 50 - of which half were probably me, but still is kind of encouraging.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

awesome.   I am getting the same results
      thanks sunforged!

10. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Well I get what you mean about it being a bigger project and all that. I'm on with it, so far completed/updated 6 hubs. Hmmmmm. Not an easy task!

I'm thinking I may do several a day until I've cleaned/optimized them. As I've been linking etc, I've noticed other gaps, which I've ending up editing.

This could be fun big_smile

And good too see your carrots are red ones!

11. sunforged profile image71

woke up this morning with an increase of around 250 visitors more - i dont think these were all me

is it waking up , if you havent slept yet?

Im putting more or less energy into each based on income performance - some have just got a rin through with the ling suggestion tool, a few tags and some product updates (say 3 minutes..)

I think I i have my first 4 months reworked so far

1. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic. Cant be all you. No one is that sad that they revisit their own hubs just for better looking traffic stats Sunforged. Or ... do they? wink

Not seen much on mine. I have a good few old hubs that really need a polish. When I look back at my seo youth and all that - so they're taking longer. They need the revisit though. Extra text, better tags, links, titles.

I'll keep an eye on my traffic smile

12. Money Glitch profile image63
    Money Glitchposted 13 years ago

Great idea SF! smile I've been using the interlinking tool to see if I could raise some of my lower scoring hubs just to see if it would worked. It will be interesting to hear about your findings. smile

13. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I was just experimenting with these tools and they are fantastic...thanks

14. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

I must admit I'm a habitual tweaker - each time I've learned something new, I've gone back and edited all my Hubs to take advantage of my new knowledge. 

SF, I thought your initial reaction to HubKarma wasn't favorable - what's changed your mind?

no change, could care less about HuBKarma

Im just liking the autolink tool to make connections between my own hubs that I hadnt thought of on my own and the ease of accessing keyword strings that are generating traffic.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't see the connection between this new HP linking feature and "the ease of accessing keyword strings that are generating traffic". Could you elaborate on that?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you look at the original post, you'll see Sunforged is using both the link tool and the keyword tab.  It's the keyword tab that gives you "keyword strings that are generating traffic".

Although, as Nelle pointed out, the keyword tab only tells you what keyword strings are already bringing you traffic - it doesn't tell you whether there might be better keywords that could bring you more!

1. Sally's Trove profile image79

Thanks, Marisa. Because of your comment, I read this thread from beginning to end, in detail, and found some helpful ideas. It's so nice of you to be the interpreter for those of us who don't get it.

But I still don't see the connection between "the autolink tool to make connections between my own hubs that I hadnt thought of on my own and the ease of accessing keyword strings that are generating traffic." Maybe SF could help me out.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's because they're two different things.

"the autolink tool to make connections between my own hubs that I hadnt thought of on my own"

The link suggestion tool gives links to your own Hubs first.  Sunforged is going back over his oldest Hubs and using the link suggestion tool to remind him of his own Hubs that he could link to.

With 39 Hubs, you might find that easy to do without any prompting - Sunforged has a few more!

"...and the ease of accessing keyword strings that are generating traffic."

He's accessing the keyword strings using the keyword tab in the Stats tab.

2. Sally's Trove profile image79

That's a good insight, about using the autolink tool to make connections among your own Hubs. Very thought-provoking. But I can't say I understand it.

15. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

Tagging in to keep up on this thread.  I'm taking classes right now, and completely without time to write (or sleep or eat), but I'm trying to keep up with what's new here so that I can jump back in when I have the time.  I'll be interested to see how this all works out.

16. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I had already interlinked my hubs, not too many to keep track of at the moment, but I tried the tool when it appeared and added a few more interlinks on other keywords in my hubs.. I also included some links to other peoples hubs where they were not competing in my niche lol...

I am writing about 10-12 new hubs at the moment and this function will save me lots of time when I finally get them up here on HP..

17. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Thanks for sharing, I would like to know how things go with the experiment.

18. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I've been using it...I like it but wonder if it will help or hurt.
    The score that are shown on the articles they suggest are the hubscore of the writer;not the article itself.I think I may want higher scoring articles instead...hmm

19. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I have been thinking of doing this... linking hubs with the auto tool.  Lots of suggestions dont seem relevant though.

However, have been trying to tie tags up but still, hubpages inform me that there is a bug in the system.  Many tags are still not working sad

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  A couple of times I've decided to use the link suggestions and do some linking.  I find most of the suggestions are not relevant, and I abandon the effort after a couple hubs.

20. englightenedsoul profile image57
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

I totally agree with you Rose.  Many a times it shows irrelevant hubs to link.  I am doing that manuallly now.

21. salt profile image59
    saltposted 13 years ago

yes, they are good thankyou.

22. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I have a suggestion for those who are unable to find relevant hubs to link to, it does not use the linking tool but it gets the same results. first you can look at the related hubs on each post on the right hand side of the page and click on one that you like then copy the url at the top of the page, then go back into your hub and in the edit mode, highlight a key phrase and use the link button on the top of the capsule it will allow you to insert the url into the box then hit enter and then you will have manually linked to a hub without the tool, so it just may require you finding relevant hubs manually.

23. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

The new features are indeed cool ,but imagine my dismay when checking my account and seeing one of my hubs with one of these 'new' symbols marked beside it for my review!

Apparently the content of advertisements( which I dont place) was not to Hubpages liking now?

The hub is around 6mths old ,so if anything changed it was Hubpages or Google, yet I had to rearrange 'something' ie my hub.

Well I did ,so maybe the sexy adverts (presumming it was that) will disappear. Then that leads me another point, Goggle doesnt ban sex...soooo...

Oh well just pays to keep checking your hubs I guess ,no matter how old they.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)