Do you have self-awareness?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (84 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

[edit] A modern scientific view
    Self-Awareness Theory

Self-Awareness Theory states that when we focus our attention on ourselves, we evaluate and compare our current behavior to our internal standards and values. We become self-conscious as objective evaluators of ourselves. Various emotional states are intensified by self-awareness, and people sometimes try to reduce or escape it through things like television, video games, alcohol, drugs, etc. However, some people may seek to increase their self awareness through these outlets. People are more likely to align their behavior with their standards when made self-aware. People will be negatively affected if they don’t live up to their personal standards. Various environmental cues and situations induce awareness of the self, such as mirrors, an audience, or being videotaped or recorded. These cues also increase accuracy of personal memory.[12]

This idea of self-awareness was pulled from wikipedia.

To sum things up, I believe self-awareness can be simplified into having a 3rd person perspective of yourself and thoughts.

Do you believe you have/use self-awareness and why?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every activity you do is you must have self awareness first, then try to go out and take a look at the bigger picture....you are a social being so you live in a society, you interact and you follow rules and laws (social laws and political laws). but there are those who are deviant and chose to do whats is not acceptable to society.

Those deviants can change the norms of a society, their acts and behavior will be followed by others and it will become a mode like for example Lady Gaga, the way she dresses is a deviant in some kind of way, but once it is normalize many people will do the same or wear the same clothing, then it will be come a norm

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh wow - when they all start dressing like Lady GaGa I'll be in big trouble! well, maybe no one would expect someone with an old fat body to dress like that, still - I have seen some old ladies dress pretty peculiar!  hahaha

of course, there is such a thing as too self aware!

2. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most of the time I have it. being a writer sometimes it is fun to drift into the character you are writing about. Only to be done while writing of course.

3. ok2tryagain profile image60
      ok2tryagainposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a blog I have been running on "Self Awareness" if anyone is interested.  I thought I would place the link since many here seem to be interested.  Hope to hear from you and share with you.
      Here is the link;   http://okc-at-the-u.blogspot.com/
      Peace.

4. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I know I need to lose a good thirty pounds to hit my ideal weight.  Other than that I know I'm short.  Yeah, I'd say I'm self aware. smile

2. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

it helps in dealing with life's absurdities.

3. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Yes, it is a daily preoccupation, I'm getting better at it, but there's still a long way to go.smile

1. Debby Bruck profile image67
      Debby Bruckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

just commenting on how much I like your avatar. Where did the Conch shell image go?

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I think being self aware is being tuned in to our self as an entity, not just a face in the mirror or the thoughts in our head.

the past few years, I've become more self aware and I feel it helps us to function in life overall. I feel more connected to others, the outside is rather superficial, but we're basically the same on the inside, taking away thoughts, opinions, biases.

even if someone on here makes me want to scream at their beliefs, I try to see that person beyond their opinions.

need to sign off here so I can get some work done.

5. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

I just wrote about this in the Judas - A True Saint thread! Self-awareness, 3rd person point of view in a way, is a technique being used to help OCD sufferers (Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz, he wrote The Mind & The Brain). He teaches his patients to relabel the obsessions and compulsions of their disease, first they have to be aware of them as 'glitches', just some of the myriad thoughts that run through one's mind. Paying close attention to what one thinks and analyzing those thoughts gives the opportunity to choose how to deal with them. Faulty brain circuitry can impart urgency to these messages that don't need to truly be considered urgent - by hard work and learning how to deal with the thoughts, one can eventually rewire the brain so that these messages can be discarded like the many other ridiculous thoughts that run through one's brain.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think through self-awareness, I think I have discovered that I have ADD and OCD. I agree that the 3rd person view does great things in control of thoughts and actions. I like to run with some of my irrational thoughts just to analyze them. Do you think it is possible to self-diagnose with self awareness and analyzing individual thoughts?

6. profile image0

You asked: Do you believe you have/use self-awareness and why?

Generally I don't, I run on auto-pilot too often.

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Without self awareness you couldn't have made this comment tongue

7. profile image0
    Minnalousheposted 14 years ago

I agree with TMinut about the auto-pilot. I think there is a "potential" for self awareness, but most of us run our lives by association. One thought or feeling triggers another, on down the line.

Occasionally we are stopped by something that takes our breath away, but then we fall back to sleep soon enough. It's hard work staying awake :-)

And of course, :you can't wake a person pretending to be asleep" (stolen from the Navajo.)

8. Sexy jonty profile image58
    Sexy jontyposted 14 years ago

Self awareness is must for the people who are egoist and absent minded .....

9. kins profile image58
    kinsposted 14 years ago

self-awareness is the basic function for a normal people, i think.

10. darktriangle profile image58
    darktriangleposted 14 years ago

Well, obviously!!!!!

11. DogSiDaed profile image61
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

Self Awareness is present in all humans without a severe mental disability. Therefore yes, I am self aware.

So too are elephants apparently. The test is to paint a dot on the head of an animal then show it it's reflection. If it reaches for the mirror it does not recognise the reflection as itself. If it reaches for its own head to remove the paint it is aware of it's existence from an outside perspective. Basically.

But of course, nothing is basic tongue
    (Unless we're doing chemistry, and that means something else...)

12. marcofratelli profile image78
    marcofratelliposted 14 years ago

Yep. It usually comes with being a deep thinker. For example, why do I seem to attract people who are polar opposites to me and contain virtually none of the values that my ideal girlfriend would have? It causes me to take an objective look at what it is that I may be projecting to the world through my words and actions that attracts these kinds of people. Sometimes in times of uncertainty you tend to look back and maybe even try to let go of some things so you can move forward... did i digress? smile

You have good points. I think you are right that self-awareness includes being humble to learn from mistakes and learn from regrets for forward progression. I also think it's great to put yourself in other people mindset and shoes and getting feedback from others. I think disagreements and debates in learning self-awareness well exceed agreements. I think the disagreements give a true 3rd person perspective when the person chooses to view and learn from it.

13. profile image0

When you are too self-aware, doesn't that mean self-conscious too? And self-involved? You'll be accused of being merely a spectator to your life instead of living it. And of thinking too much. And of being overly analytical.

Then if you start referring to yourself in the third person, you'll be called mentally ill.

14. marinealways24 profile image59

Sorry, I haven't been on this thread in a while. Excellent comments from everyone, I will try to get back to some eventually. Thanks.

15. profile image0

Yes. It can be quite a shock to really look hard at your own actions and thoughts, then try to analyze. I don't know that it's healthy or sane to do so constantly, analyzing oneself as a being. Gets too weird. Sometimes forgetting yourself and just living is best.

Great thoughts you are adding, thank you. I agree, I came up with a quote for that: It is more blissful to live without thinking than to think without living.

16. Williamjordan profile image59
    Williamjordanposted 14 years ago

yes self awarness is the key to a better life we must know ourselves.

Bright words, I agree. Thanks.

17. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It depends on what part I'm holding at the time I decide to talk to myself.

Are you talking about masturbating?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whats that?

Whats what?

1. profile image0

That!

What part do you hold when talking to yourself?

1. profile image0

My left butt cheek.

Before or after wiping?

1. profile image0

I'm not telling but I usually do wash my hands.

18. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

Are you two not aware of yourselves having degraded this , up until now interesting thread to lavatory standards?

Come on! Where is your self awareness now? Get back on track you naughty children!

lol The thread was dying down, it was the only option.

19. Sue Adams profile image95

How can the thread be dying? I'm sure many great philosophers have written volumes about this. But from the comments I read above, people seem to personalise the subject of self awareness (as it demands one does). Self awareness in a group situation is acted out in a very different way to a self awareness in solitude. And I'm sure there are many more interesting variations and experiences that could be aired on the subject.

Will I manage to rescucitate this thread I wonder.

I think I agree. Are you saying individual self-awareness is a 3rd person view of yourself and a group self-awareness is feedback and debate from others on yourself?

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Although the core of your self awareness is constant, for me my self awareness in a group is sometimes tainted by the thought: "What the F... am I doing here?". A group demands a lot of listening, obsevation, role playing, compromise, good timing, in short you have to adapt your  self awareness to 'fit in'. But yes, ultimately it is only the group (or other people) who are going to enlighten you about who you really are. Others are the mirror. Third party feedback is also very influencial to self awareness as in: so-and-so  said this-or-that about you. Oh really? I wasn't aware of being such-and-such. Third party feedback adds to or changes your self awareness. Self awareness is intrinsically linked to self image of course. In a perfect world, one has an "ideal" self image, i.e. what we believe we are or should be, and then with positive or negative feedback from others the self awareness changes for better or worse, what ever the case may be. Just avoid bad company I say.

Well written, great thoughts. On avoiding bad company, maybe the bad company is a true and needed test to see who we really are and whether we follow the bad company or rise above.

20. wesleyacarter profile image57
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

to be self aware is almost impossible.

-

Do your thoughts about yourself really mean anything if not expressed - in some form or fashion - to someone else?

-

are your thoughts a redistribution of ideas you learned from other people? the definition of self-image, the boundaries created by others before you to determine what is and what is not?

-

to understand and manipulate how the world looks at you.

-

to seek freedom from others. this is line between self-awareness and narcissism.

-

sometimes, the best point of view is that which is detached. Like the spectator to a chess game, rather than the actual players.

-

how can you detach from yourself? it is an impossibility.

-

self-awareness, the awareness of how others see you, and how you react to it.

21. marinealways24 profile image59

Wesley

"Do your thoughts about yourself really mean anything if not expressed - in some form or fashion - to someone else?"

Yes! A person can lift themselves up or bring themselves down with their own thoughts. If their thoughts bring themselves up, it gives them motivation. If their thoughts bring them down, they will likely lack motivation.

"are your thoughts a redistribution of ideas you learned from other people? the definition of self-image, the boundaries created by others before you to determine what is and what is not?"

I think most thoughts are recycled, this doesn't mean there aren't new thoughts. Don't understand the second question.

"sometimes, the best point of view is that which is detached. Like the spectator to a chess game, rather than the actual players."

Who learns how to play the game better, the player or the spectator? If the spectator is a fan of one player over the other, the spectator could believe his player is the best even when he loses. I don't think the spectator always separates themselves or there wouldn't be many sports fans. 

"how can you detach from yourself? it is an impossibility."

debate and logical thought I think.

"self-awareness, the awareness of how others see you, and how you react to it."

and how you separate to see yourself.

1. wesleyacarter profile image57
      wesleyacarterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I worded this incorrectly. Do your thoughts about yourself really mean anything if not expressed? Whether or not they are to someone else is irrelevant. You can lift yourself up with your thoughts, but that is still expression.

I think you stepped passed the point. The point was that the spectator has access to an impartial perspective, a wholistic perspective. Where as the players are partial. Whether or not the spectator is partial would change the perspective.

I don't think debate and logical thought can achieve that kind of separation. These things can achieve empathy, understanding of the other point of view. I think that it is impossible for someone to stand completely outside their own Self. Can one really experience a thing without his or her body, without his or her mind? Even in absence the mind is still affected, as is the body.

I think a person being their own biggest critic say's it is possible to step outside yourself. If a person doesn't hold attachments to their mind, they should be able to separate from their mind. I think that makes sense. Just because there is still a physical presence doesn't mean there is still a mental presence. What do you think happens during deep meditation? The mind is freed from the body, no? Or is mind and body unified to separate outside influences from thought?

Mind, soul, spirituality, all that are just words for a different, more basic, non linguistic level of consciousness. The thing I love most about meditation is that it removes mondain thinking (as in what shall I buy for dinner) and takes me to the realm of abstract, yet in its own context, very meaningful thoughts and images. Stories in their own right. Meditation is total awareness of the process of meditating and has no place for Self Awareness and Self Image. Yet going there frequently seems to balance reality and that, indirectly can greately improve the Self Image.

22. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

WHO ARE YOU???? WHERE AM I????? WHY ARE THESE BUGS ALL OVER ME????

23. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Is this considered self awareness:

Let's say I go into a Dunkin Donuts for a coffee and a little thought in my head says "you should get a muffin too"

Then yet another thought seemingly from a different source says
    "how are you going to lose weight if you keep eating muffins"

I then make the decision to leave the store with the coffee only.

If it does then I have self awareness.

In the case of debating yourself to not buy the muffin because you wanted to lose weight, I think so.

24. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I am very aware that I cannot resist a prawn. Indeed!!!!

25. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Hell yes; that's all I do these days: think.

26. wesleyacarter profile image57
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

marinealways24:

a person uplifting their Self is an expression. An expression is any action that manifests a thought. That act of uplifting oneself is the expression of that thought. But to think without expression is an impossibility. A thought is expressed in memory, a thought facilitates new ground. Contemplation that leads to further action.

i think detachment in the form of meditation, thought it may erase "mundane" thoughts does not achieve separation, it is only a mental state.

Meditation itself is an expression. it is the expression of detachment from worldy things, but not detachment from the Self.

A person who is their own worst critic is less detached then the other person who is a critic. But that is not the same as a spectator. A spectator has no involvement in the game. Any intelligent person can observe you better than you can observe yourself.

A person, no matter how self-critical, cannot detach completely from their work. It is an expression of that person's Self. Stepping outside yourself, i don't think that is detachment as much as self-awareness. Your Self is still fully involved in that process.

Meditation in stillness is the same as meditation in movement. But it is not a separation of mind and body.   

In order to detach completely from your Self, you would be unable to return to it. your newly detached Self will be devoid of expression, or identity.

One who lives cannot observe himself living, he can only observe how he thinks while he lives.

I liked this line. If a person debates his observation and thought through self-awareness, the person is observing themselves outside of what they want to see.

1. wesleyacarter profile image57
        wesleyacarterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sometimes your method of debate is like trying to catch an eggshell stuck inside a yolk. How you dash from side to side!

i simply mean that a thought must in some way be actualized.

hypnosis - when done correctly, is not simply a separation of mind and body, it just separation from control. To be hypnotized, a person must permit their mind to be under hypnosis. Even if in an abstract way, that person is still involved.

the mind is like the body nd vice versa. There are many things that happen within your body that are separate from your mental faculties, or conscious faculties, but are still necessary for those mental faculties to exist. For example, the involuntary motions of your nervous system, your respiratory system, your cardiovasular faculties, all of these happen separate from your conscious thought. So your mind is connected to your body by its necessity to live and subsist. If your mind were truly separated from your body, it would probably be in death.

lol I am enjoying the conversation, thanks.

Another question. There have been claimed instances where patients have been under surgery and legally put to death for some time of the surgery and then brought back to life.

Some of these patients have claimed to rise out of body and view the surgery even describing critical details of things the doctor was doing while they were legally dead. Some of these people were describing detals they saw while their body was covered from the neck down. Most of their information was verified by doctors as miracles and unexplainable. I have no way to verify these stories, but I do not rule them out. If some are true, how do you say their mind didn't separate from their body?

27. BobLloyd profile image60
    BobLloydposted 14 years ago

There has been some fascinating work on consciousness and the notion of self conducted by Daniel Dennett, and Douglas Hofstadter.  Dennett particularly has investigated how consciousness relates to our notion of self but Hofstadter has come up with a theory of how the brain creates this notion.

He argues that the brain is a self-referential network which maintains a model of its own functioning.  By manipulating symbols which represent things in the world, including ideas and thoughts, it can also generate symbols which deal with that process of thought as well.  Hence we are aware of our own thinking, and this leads to a notion that something else is doing the observing other than the brain.  The illusion is created that mind and brain are somehow different when they're not.

He shows that having consciousness is the same as self-awareness, that the experience of self is really an illusion and a consequence of the self-referential nature of brains.

It opens the possibility as well that such self-awareness exists in varying degrees in a variety of species.  For those who believe in souls, this notion is particularly challenging.

His book "I Am A Strange Loop" and Dennetts book "Understanding Consciousness" are really interesting, but a load of information is freely available on the web as well.

28. Sue Adams profile image95

Yes, I saw some Youtube videos on this. Most people report a blissful near-death experience. Some do not want to return to life as they like it so much. My own humble explanation is that perhaps the brain evokes a kind of nirvana in the form of a "super imagination" at the point of death; maybe to make it more pleasant and to take away the fear of the unknown? Even if the patients are covered up, maybe other senses could be at play, like hearing, spatial awareness...  If sound scans can create a picture of a baby inside a mother’s womb, why couldn’t our ears , very highly tuned create an image of the proceedings? But hey, who knows... there is so much we don't yet know.

29. Shealy Healy profile image59
    Shealy Healyposted 14 years ago

When  we focus our attention on ourselves and evaluate and compare our current behavior to our internal standards and values we are at a disadvntage still. Because we only have our own past and our own understanding of our internal standards-we can only be as self aware as our past experiences allow us to be. Because we can not stand in another persons shoes and view ourself from this other perspective we are always limited to being as aware as our past story and interpretation of life allows us to be. I think a first step to go further in the querry of finding self awareness is to be aware that we are viewing ourselves from a limited perspective.

30. profile image50
    melanierobertsposted 14 years ago

Hi

In view of your own interest in self-awareness, have you come across Dr Charoux’s new book on G.I. Gurdjieff’s Work entitled “The Triumph of Self Mastery”? It's a masterpiece and outlines what true self-awareness and self-mastery is all about. I beleive the book is available on Amazon and other booksellers

Regards

Melanie Roberts

I love Gurdjieff's work. He enlightened my entire perspective on life. He keeps speaking of "Remembering Yourself" as in taking snapshots of moments that can always be in the present. The ability to "remember yourself" as discussed by Gurdjieff can greately increase one's self awareness and I strongly recommend reading his works.

I may check out the book. What do you mean the ability to remember yourself?

2. Sue Adams profile image95

Read Gurdyeff. Remembering yourself is, as far as I understand, the ability to live the present while being aware of the future memory of that very same moment. So it is helpful in that it detaches you from the immediacy of a situation and gives you greater perspective and a more objective self awareness.

31. Artin2010 profile image66
    Artin2010posted 14 years ago

Self Awareness is the concept of inventorying ones own existence to extract what one is made up of and determine whether it is acceptable to self or not acceptable. When we turn inward to our own consiousness and examine ourselves in the now state of being we find out things about ourselves. Then we can determine what we like and don't like and work on a plan to change every aspect into something that is completely acceptable. Inventory, sort out, throw out the bad, keep the good and move on. To thine own self be true. Let go and let live. Life is a gift and is to be lived. All input other than love is destroying life.Interesting question Marine Always,
    Carry on / SF

32. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

and someone, I think it was Wallace Stegner? said "the unexamined life is not worth living" !

1. fullofwisdom profile image60
      fullofwisdomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the originator of that quote is not Wallace Stegner, but someone much older in History, one of the Ancients, one of the classic fathers of Philosophy---Socrates---he said it just before he died.

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
        Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

right after he was poisoned...

To be acurate, right after he poisoned himself. He was ordered to death but would not give them the pleasure.

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image69
            Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My kinda guy (sort of) at least he had some stones...

2. profile image0
          zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He was perfectly self aware when he drank from that cup...

you ain't joking about that!!!! He thought it was a party of sorts...was surrounded by all his best friends and pupils.

1. profile image0
              zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok. I correct
              He was perfectly fullofwisdom
              hehehe

2. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

socrates - golly.

33. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If looking in the mirror counts... wink

I think that is a great example. I think to have self-awareness all the time, we would have to be looking in the mirror all of the time. I think it is safe to say that if too involved in self-awareness, this will limit your awareness to and of others.

But looking in the mirror gives you the exact opposite mirror image of what others see you.

34. profile image49
    curioxatposted 14 years ago

My self-awareness has increased since having behavioural congnitive therapy which I needed to help me work through how to make a big career transition.

35. thekidandblue profile image60
    thekidandblueposted 14 years ago

sometimes I feel too self-aware.

36. Sue Adams profile image95

I know what you mean, self conscious, paranoid. the negative side of self awareness.

37. phabs profile image59
    phabsposted 14 years ago

ive had chapters of my life where ive had different levels of intensity of self awareness, at the time when i employed too much of it, i almost couldnt go a minute without evaluating and observing myself it was horrible, i always evaluated how much of truth was in each of my actions, my behavior was criticized by myself. I detached myself from myself at the same time from the moment, hence i couldnt enjoy things, like parties, moments with my girlfriend etc

38. dfager profile image60
    dfagerposted 14 years ago

I remember before kindegarden thinking about thinking.  I though it was entirely fascinating and asked a million and one questions about thinking like:  does everyone have a voice in their heads that calls itself I or me?  Do dogs?  Why?  My first intuitive notion was that there must be some purpose in it.  Oddly enough, I associated self awareness with destiny.

Forty years later, it doesn't seem unusual at all.  You need to be able to evaluate where you are to get to where you want to be.  Therapy helps people do this.

How accurate are we without someone to listen to us?  I think that the more we develop the habit, the better we get.  We use judging and comparing ourselves to a standard.  We can use imagination to imagine how others judge us.  That's kind of like having a third party in your head.  It seems that when we are in our teens, we have this self awareness that makes us believe we're always on a stage and everyone is looking at us.  As we age, it changes so that we don't really care how the world would judge us.

Great topic!

39. Naturalreflection profile image60
    Naturalreflectionposted 13 years ago

This is why I think prayer is overall a healthy, good thing to do. I don't necessarily think that anyone is listening or even cares, but it allows a chance to honestly reflect on your life by becoming more self aware. Meditation also achieves the same thing, with the bonus of relaxation.

I also often think about what extent animals can be self aware. Dogs know (after reinforcement)not to do certain things because they will be punished. This means that they are self aware of what they are about to do. They know that what there body is doing will evoke a negative response from us. But can this really be considered self-awareness, like maybe just not to the extent that human brains can process interactions? I don't know, but I do think about this often. Good question.

40. profile image0
    Chasukposted 13 years ago

I'm aware that I am aware, yes.

When I look in the mirror, I recognize myself. I loathe my own obesity, I mourn my own failures, and I fear my own mortality. 

Of course, maybe this response is being posted by an advanced automaton.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)