Any Hubbers who Write Poetry Therapy

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

Talk about your poetry therapy experiences.

1. zanfad profile image58
      zanfadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow... I thought that was poetry. Actually, just about all my poetry is self-therapy. Writing helps me sort things out.

1. Sassypoetic profile image61
        Sassypoeticposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello... poetic beauty certainly identifies with who I am as an individual. therapy indeed ...  right down to the depths of anyone soul.

2. Challah1202 profile image57
        Challah1202posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too., Zantad.  And Sassypoetic.  Poetry speaks to parts of beyond the words in the meter and rhythm.  When there is urgency or pain or joy it lands on a level that changes me and maybe others.

2. untamedangel profile image60
      untamedangelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my poetry has been therapy for me ........ coming out of a  series of incidents in my life that had me so very stresssed!!!  writing poetry helps me  to move on  with my life.

1. Sassypoetic profile image61
        Sassypoeticposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Untamedangel

I understand.. It's something like journaling, bringing up issues in one's life that's unresolved. Writing about your feelings or whatever happen in your life helps take you to a place of forgiveness and healing.

3. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write for soul therapy.

2. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

All my poetry is therapy.

3. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

Not to much poetry. But I have had some therapy ! smile

4. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

I write poetry...and I'm beyond what any therapy can do to help.
    Does that count?

5. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

Most of the poetry I write is therapeutic---it helps me sort out what I am thinking and/or feeling

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I began  writing completely out of the blue at about my 50 th year just as a way to deal wih the stuff inside, having always been one to internalize everything and keep it to myself. There is no better way to deal with life, love or loss.

1. t.cobbler profile image60
      t.cobblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote something like that. and I dont feel any better about it.

1. SeenButNotHeard profile image60
        SeenButNotHeardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find that when you write your thoughts or problems that making them more artistic and poetic sometimes helps more than just writing them down. Try turning it into a poem or a short story, maybe invent a character with the same problem. . .

7. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

yep poetry does help, sort the brain out at times. 

it has no rules, my doesn't any way.  I just spill it out onto the page,and maybe edit at times.  It's something that is not forced, for me, is extremely therapeutic.  I love to read any poetry as well, mostly i enjoy all poetry.

8. SeenButNotHeard profile image60
    SeenButNotHeardposted 13 years ago

I have these random nights where all of a sudden I have to write. Sometimes is a story and sometimes it's poetry, but no matter what it is I can't think of anything else until I get it on paper. I know all writing is therapeutic, not just poetry and I agree that it most definitely helps sort my brain out big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

YOU TOO...... i know what you mean, i have those kinda nights too

9. profile image56
    james jenkins jrposted 13 years ago

I honestly believe that it is a form of therapy. I open up and write of things that I rarely ever talk of. It's like a venting I think.

10. cecemarie83 profile image59
    cecemarie83posted 13 years ago

i agree there have been nights that i've found myself just sitting up in the middle of the night wanting to write, or just wake up in the middle of the night writting something. i keep a note pad by my bed for that reason. To me writing poetry or any other form of writing for that matter, is a sense of emotional release, that i feel i can' t tell others. there are time when i point blank just write a letter address to the person i have some sort of feelings for, then throw it away later, i have written when i needed to get out therefore it was no longer inside me.

11. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Oh how I wish I could write poetry about the therapy that helped my write poetry therapeutically hmm

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, cute.

2. Joy56 profile image67

but of corse you can,

12. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Poetry for therapy is rarely poetry in my opinion.  Most of it is emotional, we can relate to it, it pours out what we have inside and it is ok in many ways of course as a means of communicating deep thoughts and feelings - BUT I am not sure that it is poetry.

I read many hubs that are informative and emotional that appear to be written as poetry but only 'look' like.  I do not subscribe to the view that poetry MUST be metrical or any other strict view but a poem must surely carry more meaning than the words themselves to qualify as poetry?

1. Joy56 profile image67

i know what you mean exactly.........  there are obviously some who can write beautiful poetry, and it is not because they need the therapy.   They are just plain good writers...... like yourself

13. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

All my poetry is therapy.  It beats poking myself in the eye with a sharp stick.  Writing lets me rant and rave ad nauseam about all the bullshit in my life without there being any real physical consequences. It also helps me put things into perspective because I have to actually think about it all while I'm trying to make it rhyme.  If I couldn't vent through my writing, I'd probably be in prison.

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Everything I write has the quality of healing my inner screaming monkey, if that's what you mean.

15. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I am feeling a bit guilty about the telling of secrets needing to be told, those of  past  experiences twisted by life. Most of those people are gone that it would matter to , so I guess it's all for myself though.

16. Ben Evans profile image66
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Poetry is often carefully crafted words.  However as we write often what is inside is revealed in words.  I don't write poetry in the name of therapy, however, I often find out about myself through the words after they are written.

17. rasenstars1 profile image60
    rasenstars1posted 13 years ago

I believe that art is therapy. I paint, I draw, knit, write, or arts and crafts. Without life there would be no art. Even those who write to just write research, and draw insperation from life. So life is art. "Look at my journey" is the battle cry of all artists.

1. SeenButNotHeard profile image60
      SeenButNotHeardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree

18. Ben Peck profile image60
    Ben Peckposted 13 years ago

I like rhyming,it's very calming.

19. agaglia profile image79
    agagliaposted 13 years ago

Yes, I agree with quite a few responders here. I write for therapy often. But, not all the time. Poetry seems to bubble up out of me and I MUST get it out. That, in itself is therapy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)