Humbleness and Self Esteem: Do the Two Ever Meet?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (104 posts)
  1. steffsings profile image65
    steffsingsposted 14 years ago

I was recently studying Mark 12:28-31 which calls us to Love God with our whole being, AND ALSO to love our fellow man "as ourself". How can someone who does NOT love themselves (low self esteem) treat others well? SIMILAR ISSUE: Can we be both humble and also have enough love for ourselves to actively treat others the way we believe we should be treated?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They don't. If you have no self-respect for yourself, then you won't for other people. Self-respect is your basis for self-esteem.

It can be done, as long as you are honest with yourself and others. You deal with others as you want to be treated, then you are likely to get that in return. You can be humbled by an experience and not have it ruin your self-esteem.

That's my thoughts on it. smile

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This passage wants you to love your fellow man a lot.
        Not just a little bit. SO  You should love yourself a lot also.
        Do you remember the most valued gift that you have ever recieved???  That is how you are to love yourself, as the most valued gift that you have ever recieved.
           But that word self esteam is a diffrent matter.  We have done nothing deserving of self esteam. If I am hansome this was a gift, if I an inteligent, this is a gift. If I am healthy or strong these I had no controll over so I have nothing to be proud about.
          I appreciate these things, And I love my fellow man as much as my self. I would never ask of another what I would not be willing to give if the situation was reversed.

I think that this is close to to the meaning;  that was intended.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think possessing humility has anything to do with not liking/loving yourself. I think humility has to do with being honest with yourself. Whatever you have learned didn't come from yourself, but from your experiences, from other people and from the world around you. Whatever you have or have gained can be lost. Even intelligence can be gone in the blink of an eye.

To me, this doesn't mean we cannot still love ourselves. Do you only love the things about yourself for the good you can do? Do you only love others for the good they can do?

Humility is recognizing your faults and limitations. It has nothing to do with hating, or thinking badly of yourself.

3. svennyg profile image61
        svennygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Can we be both humble and also have enough love for ourselves to actively treat others the way we believe we should be treated?"
        Interesting subject indeed, for the most part, humbleness really is being dependant on our Lord and Saviour, knowing who we are in Christ, we cannot ever get to the starting point of loving others or even ourselves for that matter, if we miss the above (Being confident in your relationship with God, and who we are in Him). When I realise that with all my faults and failures, He loves me unconditionally, and is developing me to become into the image of His Son, I then can start to walk tall and respect/love those arround me. Check out the study I have on "who we are in Christ" on my website under free bible studies

4. profile image50
        KT Traversposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It can take a lifetime to find out what love is. It comes packaged in the person
        of Jesus Christ. So roll up you sleeves and get acquainted with Him. You must
        desire Him and ask where He can be found. He is not a religion He is a person. He came so we might have a different life here on earth.

5. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Humbleness and Self Esteem: Do the Two Ever Meet?

i think so. i know a man who is a Christian, and has a lot of humility but also possesses sound self esteem, so yes.

6. Solnyshka profile image60
        Solnyshkaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

steffsings, when we embrace the fact that according to Psalms 139 we are all "fearfully and wonderfully made", designed by the Creator's hands, fashioned for a distinct purpose, it can clear up self esteem issues and well as give us humility simply by comparing ourself to the majesty of God.  Everyone, no matter how tall, short, skinny, fat, able bodied or handicapped is wonderfully made!  Full understanding of this fuels our self esteem and allows us to love others as also being wonderful made themselves.

7. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe true humbleness can only come with self esteem. To feel comfortable enough in your own skin to treat others well without expecting anything back.

8. songoftruth profile image70
        songoftruthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It amounts to this:  seeing ourselves and others the way God does.  He knows all the imperfections (humility) and still loves unconditionally.  The best explanation of humility I ever heard was given by Kenny Boles of Ozark Christian College:  "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but rather thinking of yourself less."

1. profile image55
          (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

How does god view the starving children of the world? Does he also view them with unconditional love as they die by the thousands every day?

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
            ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what are you doing here...go outside and feed starving children!

1. profile image0
              Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

21, Q is hungry. Got any leftovers from your last dish? Think you can whip him a great omelet?

1. profile image0

I could, but then he'd thank 'god' and end up worshiping my omelet!!

Ooh...now I'm craving for omelet. I like it with milk and butter and some herbs and sometimes I put some tomme de chevre on the side....yum.

where can I get a really good omelet here in Manhattan? Seems I left that joy in europe. sad

2. profile image0

Are you really that repetitive, Q???
            There was an entire thread about this.
            I provided actual links to read about the food issue. Apparently, you did not read them or research, again. According to those articles, there is more than 25 times more food than humans need to eat on the planet.
            Seems your case against 'god' is only your case.

1. profile image55

What does the amount of food on the planet have to do with believers thanking their gods while others starve to death?

That is the question you have not answered.

q, this is not about starving children, this is about a starving you. the preoccupation with G-d and starvation shows you equate G-d to being a provider.

The concept of G-d is entirely in the context of what man can do in his highest potential. This is called Self-Esteem. And Humbleness is the acceptance that everybody has an obligation to be that which he seeks G-d to be.

2. profile image0

No, what does your repetitive narcissism have to do with asking a redundant -already answered- question about food supply?

He's hungry, he's always hungry and is wondering why no one is providing him the food that he needs. he is the starving children of the world.

1. profile image0

boy, you said a mouthful. lol

yes I should stop. lol

2. profile image55

I see you have completely ignored the question, again.

3. Jerami profile image58
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that God looks at all of the hungry people in the world and wishes that Q would love them enough to feed them.  He knows that Q knows that they are there

my thoughts exactly

unfortunately we are all guilty of misappropriating our food supply.   The grain that it takes to produce one T Bone steak would have fed a lot of hungry people...  If they would have received it, if it were to be sent. Someone would have stole it.
                   So Guess I'm goina smoke a briskit this holiday.

the thing is, it is not food that's the problem. It is empowerment. many people believe that they do not have the capacity to make food. people make food everyday from the most difficult situations. HOW? That is the big question calling for many ideas from different kids of lack. People can make food. What people can't do very well is to be accountable.

2. profile image55

No Jerami, it has nothing to do with the food supply and everything to do with Christian hypocrisy.

with accountability, beginning with your own.

2. profile image0

Really?
                    Prove it, scientifically.

lol

3. Jerami profile image58

I don't think that hypocricy is a respector of persons.
                    We all get it from time to time.

1. profile image55

It's called 'honesty' Jerami. It does not exist in the mind of the believer.

2. profile image55

He looks at the hungry people of the world and lets them die, Jerami. What kind of a loving god would allow such a thing when he provides for you and the other good Christians here?

1. profile image0

Seems the only one starving -for attention mostly- is you.

2. Jerami profile image58

Are you provided for?  It has been provided; enough for everyone. 
                   Distribution is our responsibility.
                   The truck drivers are not delivering it to where it should go.   And that is our fault.

1. profile image55

As a Christian yourself, I can understand why you keep deflecting the question and not answering it honestly.

lol he did not deflect it, hungry boy.

2. profile image0

I wanna know why both believers and Q think 'god' has to wait on them hand and foot, constantly. Are humans that inept and lazy?

yeah me too. I mean,it sure comes from a parental "god". Adults whose needs were not met in childhood tend to complain that "god" does not provide. punitive parents raise children who are angry at "punitive gods". They obscure their subconscious hatred for their parents and reassign it as a hatred for gods. to a child a mother and a father is a god and goddess.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64

He looks at them, really? G-d has eyes and looks at people from the heavens?

1. profile image0

can you see me now? oh wait that is a spin off a Verizon commercial, sorry.

http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/b/blush2.gif

what is that creature? lol

1. profile image0

:blush:

and for the "hungry one" http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/s/spam.gif

9. leeberttea profile image57
        leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would be more humble if I wasn't so wonderful, not to mention good looking, but hey you can't have everything.

10. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A little leaven leavens the whole lump

11. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You make an excellent point. One cannot love any other person, until one first loves themselves. It is impossible. Humbleness, humility, are a part of our make up that help us to express love for another, as we will put their needs their wants their feelings before our own. This is love. Keep in mind before we can express any form of love,including humbleness or humility, we must first love ourself, so that we can recognize someone else with love.

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

humility: understanding, we are not the Creator but also not accepting we are less than what the Creator made us to be.

{ for the angels served adam and were awed by his beauty }

humble yourself in the sight (keyword) of the lord, and He will (another keyword) lift you up. Not, whine, cry, shake in fear, teary eyed, OMG, tremble thing. just the understanding of whom you are and being that whom you are.

anything greater or less is sin.

3. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I believe one would have to have true self esteem to ever really be humble.  How can you think about others or love them, if you are always worried about yourself?

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

beautifully put my friend, thanks smile

4. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years ago

As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery.
      We have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace.
      The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as
      anger and attachment, fear and suspicion,
      while love and compassion, a sense of universal responsibility
      are the sources of peace and happiness.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hear hear smile smile

5. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

You can be kind to others, put others before you, and always focus on everyone else's happiness before you consider yours, because you have little or no self esteem.
      Your time is being spent attempting to buy or pursued another to care about you and do for you what you believe you are doing for them. You will not spend time on yourself and do not feel as if you are worth spending time on, but also work to make yourself worthy-but never step in to the spotlight to demand that someone give you props for your good deed.
      You can love others with diminished self esteem, but will never truly let others love you, until you accept and love who you are.

steffsingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with almost 99.9% except one very small issues.. the whole "love others the way you love yourself" vs. diminished self esteem. It seems like this kind of  'love' (?) is more about trying to fill the empty hole and convincing others to love them; then I am back to the start again,

lowered self esteem=difficulty truly loving others (as you've noted)... and a kind of false humility that's really about trying to get others approval, not about recognizing and loving others

6. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years ago

To have self esteem IS to be humble. Simply knowing who you are is to have self esteem, and if you know who you are then you know you are such a teeny weeny little transient tick of a thing in the Universe.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eh I gotta disagree with you on this one china man. Not completely, but I do think you can have self esteem without being humble. Many people esteem themselves too highly.

I don't think one is automatically the other, or dependent on the other, but I certainly don't think they conflict with each other either.

steffsingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, they don't necesarily conflict except in the case of low self esteem. It tends to make people focus on themselves and their flaws- their humbleness is really more about shame & feelings of unworthiness - which really isn't humility.

2. De Cuz profile image59
        De Cuzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To have self esteem does not equate to being humble I'm afraid China Man.
        Self esteem is such a modern concept in relation to ourselves. What we mean is really self worthy, self evaluation, assessing our worth to ourselves and to the greater good of others. The problem with self esteem is that we are talking about human beings who have so many characteristics, both either positive or negative and that self esteem is governed by the concept of "self".The positive characteristic of self esteem is the enhancing of our self worth...how good we feel about ourselves. The negative characteristic of self esteem can be the corruption of any good we might feel. It can endanger our moral self by convincing us that we are better and more important ,or of more value than we really are....thereby in that case altering self esteem into arrogance, superiority and an inflated ego that is founded on a corrupt view of ourselves.

What can prevent this corruption, or distorted view of ourselves is the ability to live life with humility. This isnt about being subservient or less than equal, it is about having the ability to recognise and accept that we have endeavoured to be the best that we can within the parameters our life conformed to. Then being honest enough to know that within in the divine plan, or natural plan, that we are or are not satisfied with who we are and that in society we are one of many, and that to set ourselves above them is not for us to do.

We may have been formed in the image of god, but we are not  normally godly by nature, hence the struggle between ego and humility.

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't agree - but I think this is because you are really re-defining self-esteem to be what religion distorts it to.

Esteem is to be regarded with respect by others, self-esteem is to respect yourself.  Nothing about good acts or anything else, although that could be a route to gaining esteem from others who you 'perceive' as good.

Hitler held himself in high self-esteem I would guess, Maggie Thatcher still does if the vicious old bat is still alive!

We see ourselves through the way others see us, if you are humble you don't need praise or accolades to respect yourself, this is false support and a 'method' that religion uses to make you think you feel better about yourself.

7. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Precisely!

8. exquisitestill profile image60
      exquisitestillposted 14 years ago

Yes definitely...to be humble is a great character trait, but knowing that you can possess humbleness and a healthy esteem is important.

9. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Being humble is seeing your own flaws, knowing that whatever is good about you is good but doesn't make you better than anyone else in terms of how "important" or "valuable" you are as a person); and generally knowing you're not a "Big Cheese" (in the scheme of life) because of whatever you have going for you.

You can choose to put other people's needs before your own, and you can choose to treat others well.  I think what you choose can be separate from whether you're humble or not.  Whether someone think everyone else is a "Bigger Cheese" than he is is another separate thing.

I'm not a big fan of the "love others as yourself" line of thinking, because I don't believe genuine love, by virtue of its definition, is something we ever for ourselves.  There's a difference between having healthy self-esteem and "loving ourselves".  I just think healthy, caring, well adjusted, people know they aren't less than anyone else as people, but that nobody else is less than they are either.  So, yes, a person can have a healthy humility while also having a health self-esteem - and can treat others with the kindness and respect that all human beings deserve.

10. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I am pretty sure that I am not going to say this right cause I'm not even going to think about it before I say it. 
           The part about being Humble... 
           I think he was talking about being humple before the Lord.
        Don't think that we are supposed to be humble before a person that we are told to love as ourselves..?
          Bold and proud ???  we have nothing that we can rightfully be bold and proud for.

1. Dobson profile image74
        Dobsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the humble means in your dealing with the Lord. We should be ultimately humble before him in all circumstances, because he is the Creator and we are mere pieces of his master plan.

Self esteem is not dependent on our humbleness, but on the confidence we have in ourselves. These are conflicting qualities if you simply set them side by side.

With out a measure of confidence we would not have the courage to  get out of bed and walk down the street.
             Proper measure of confidence is a good thing.
          Though self esteem and confidence in one self are similar they are different.  Confidence in oneself is knowing that we have what it takes to "GET ER DONE". 
             Self esteem to me seems to imply  the source of such ability being one self.  Giving no credit to the seed when we have harvested a field of corn.

11. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years ago

To be humble does not require low self esteme.

I think that a person with low selfestems can best get over that condition by being helping other people when ya can.

If ya help 10 people that are down;  7 or 8 will accept the help and go on their way.  But 2 or 3 people may slow down long enough to help the person that helped them; bringing them along in life;  they continue to help each other and everyone else that they can ........Before ya know it the world will be a better place to live.
         When ya feel the lowest, ya need to help others.
          doing this can make you feel better about yourself than you can ever do for yourself.

1. yolanda yvette profile image60
        yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen.

12. gracefaith profile image60
      gracefaithposted 14 years ago

In the Bible we are told to think others better than ourselves. This does not mean to think less of ourselves but more of others. We are to submit to one another in love, brothers and sisters of all ages and nations. This is designed to edify. What can be more encuraging for a persons self- esteem then to be esteemed by all members of the family of Christ irrespective of their age, background, occupation, intellect and wealth etc?

steffsingsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can't agree more....

13. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

The Biblical brand of humility is at the heart of at least one form of self-esteem.  If you are doing good deeds, being respectful, etc. you will be a good person, and in so being, your sense of self-worth will be grand.

Low-self esteem has the appearance of humility, but it is actually things like servility, cowardice and other traits that are mistaken for humility by careless observers.

14. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I get humiliated quite often but I laugh along with it, cept for sometimes when I feel really stupid... seeing the humor in it, letting it go and learning something from it is pretty rewarding. 

Not so much the time I pissed all over the back of my pants when peeing on the side of the road without a change of clothes though.  Lesson learned, don't pee into the wind. lol

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Humiliation is NOT humility.

15. Danny R Hand profile image60
      Danny R Handposted 14 years ago

I've learned that most truths are associated with a paradox. True self-esteem requires humility. Knowing our true place in the scheme of things gives us a true picture of our real self worth.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then, they aren't truths, are they? wink

2. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which in the end, is nothing !LOL

If as you say  some Truths are a Paradox

lol

3. steffsings profile image65

Paradox... You might be right and thats the truth,,,

1.A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking

paradox. (n.d.). The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Retrieved April 30, 2010, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox

16. Kharisma1980 profile image78
      Kharisma1980posted 14 years ago

I once heard an explanation of humility that struck me as succinct, beautiful, and Scriptural: when you are humble, you see yourself not as small, but as your correct size. Self-esteem (satisfaction with yourself and how God sees you) and humility walk hand-in-hand.

This is a keeper! 'your correct size'. I think most of strive to do this every day; however, much of how we 'see' ourselves doesn't register on some levels. Sometimes it just how we  'feel' when we look in the mirror, stand in a crowd etc... we don't ever put it into words. (my assumption) this is where humilty takes the turn towards low self esteem. ? !..? !

1. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

aka has it in the post above yours  - humility is not humiliation - it is not seeing yourself as 'better' than any other.  This leads in exactly the opposite direction to low self esteem.

17. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

one of the nicest things to see, is a person who is extremely good at what he/she does, though has the time to help others who cannot quite attain to the same standard.  Speaking to these people as human beings, not down to them.

Humility is a lovely word also i feel

18. TonyAtHubPages profile image69
      TonyAtHubPagesposted 13 years ago

You can relax.

You have plenty of love for yourself.
      You get up in the morning and get dressed.
      If you meet someone with no clothes, apply the same level of love to them.

When you're thirsty, you drink.
      When you meet someone who is thirsty, ensure they have something to drink as quickly as you do it for yourself.

When you're hungry, you eat.
      Make sure your neighbor eats as quickly after he/she feels hungry.

And so on.
      Nobody that has ever lived lacked love for themselves.

Even people who claim to hate themselves do it because they don't live up to the grand image they have of themselves.

19. aoiffe379 profile image59
      aoiffe379posted 13 years ago

Humility or humbleness is a character trait and a contrast to pride or snobbiness. There are people who serve others,treating them like royalty. Even though they love others and serve them, that individual's self esteem may be low because of accepting negativity from others. A student may perceive him /herself to be unable to learn or slow if those words are spoken repeatedly. The person believe it. Sometimes individuals are told that they are nobody because of heredity and environment. These individuals may exhibit humility and other good qualities; but they see themselves unable to get out of the pit in which they were placed by a trusted person. Such a question is profound and has so many implications.

20. profile image0
      crmhaskeposted 13 years ago

I haven't read anything anybody has responded so I apologize if I'm repeating what has already been said.

Without self esteem it is impossible to be humble.  Humility without a positive sense of self worth is not humility, it is insecurity.  It is just as courage is not the absence of fear, but the overcoming of it; doing what needs to be done even if it scares you.  Being humble doesn't mean denying the existence of your abilities, or admitting an inferiority, it means recognizing all of which you do not know, and the possibilities that implies.  It is not dismissing someone simply because they do not have the knowledge you do, but accepting the possibility they may have something to contribute, and hearing them out.

An expert in one's field knows they are the expert, being humble about it is accepting that someone who is not as well versed as they are can still contribute.  That same expert if humble would be pleased if their apprentice surpassed them as what is the point of an example if not to exceed it.

Humbleness and self esteem can not only exist together, but they must exist together.

21. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Together, I would call them: honor.

Bringing honor to the field, the land, the Maker of it, the fruit of it and those who enjoy it...as a result, your family and yourself.

1. USMCwifey09 profile image63
        USMCwifey09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well put, 21.

22. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Blame is not a humble thing and is a sign of low self-esteem.

1. profile image0

lol

23. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Honesty, Q?
      How can you claim totality of what is or is not honesty.
      To do so, you would have to be better than any other human being.
      And you are not. What gives you the right to blame them?

he is ignoring us! lol (but you're just so easy!)

1. profile image0

(where did i put that vegemite sandwich....)

am going to go for red velvet cupcake, ciao James...looking forward to reading the book!

2. profile image55

It's interesting when believers have to resort to dishonesty to demonstrate their version of honesty. smile

there are multitudes of diffrent kinds of  people in a multitude of diffrent kinds of groups.

And we/they all have the same kinds of faults. And none of us are doing whatever we do effectively enough or there wouldn't be any hungry people in the world.

sorry about sporatic replys... been taking care of a few chores around the house between checking back in.

2. profile image0

Who said i was a believer? and what am i supposed to be believing in? Your pathetic excuses for a genuine lack of human compassion, disguised as equative absolution or the opposite, a sensitive approach to selfish apathy? Do enlighten my hungry mind.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64

it is a tale full of sound and fury signifying....nothing

24. elissaurban profile image60
      elissaurbanposted 13 years ago

"Many of us live or work in an environment where humility is often misunderstood and considered a weakness. Not many corporations or institutions include humility as a value statement or a desired characteristic of their management. Yet as we learn about the workings of God, the power of a humble and submissive spirit becomes apparent. In the kingdom of God, greatness begins with humility and submissiveness. These companion virtues are the first critical steps to opening the doors to the blessings of God and the power of the priesthood. It matters not who we are or how lofty our credentials appear. Humility and submissiveness to the Lord, coupled with a grateful heart, are our strength and our hope."-Bishop Richard C. Edgley of the LDS church.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideN … 82620aRCRD

25. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

If by humble you mean being modest, and never being arrogant, contemptuous, or rude... then i would say that those who really have high inner self esteem (and just try to cover up their lack of self esteme by a big display of ego and cockiness), are the for whom humble comes naturally

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)