can born again Christians sin?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (124 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

I am a staunch Christian and have met and talked with many a born again Christian. I had no nerve to ask them to their face if they continued sinning.

Very forgettable and forgivable sins like say, a little gluttony: one little bite off that Black Forest you love. Is it still sin in their eyes?

Can there be a 1% sin or 10% sin or 100% sin........... I do not know

1. wychic profile image85
      wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone sins, regardless of their beliefs. I know many "born again Christians" who still indulge in the types of sins that seem to be more acceptable to the rest of the church community...being judgmental of others (when God alone should judge), saying bad things about people who do not subscribe to their belief system, etc. While it may or may not be the types of sins that most Christians so readily recognize (i.e. drinking to excess, drug abuse, fornication), no one lives a life free from sin.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, not everyone sins. That's your religion

thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You stopped me in my tracks Phew

2. the pink umbrella profile image74
          the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, a very quick attack. You sin every day. Nice profile pic. Natural blond? Do you pluck your eyebrows? Vein. Sinner. Do you ever eat anythigng when your not hungry? gluttony.

Every one sins. Its ok. you can admit that everyone sins.

3. profile image57
          exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Psa tells us that our righteousness is as filthy rags. but thru His Grace we can ask for forgiveness everyday, and He will hear

2. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sin is a religious word and concept. I do not believe in it, so no, I don't sin.

1. the pink umbrella profile image74

Well put, note that my response to blondie up there was in the context of people who put religeon over logic.

2. profile image57

LOL

2. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I am a staunch Christian and have met and talked with many a born again Christian. I had no nerve to ask them to their face if they continued sinning."

And after some lunch and thought, a couple of questions....

You state that you are a "staunch Christian" and make reference to "born again Christian/s" as if the two are separate identities....

But Christ stated...

John 3:3 (King James Version)

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Born again may well have become a title for a 'denomination' of believers, who may or may not have been 'born again'

To be born again, one must die first, and accept that one lives now IN Christ, i.e. hidden from the world in His covenant.

Take a long read of Romans 8....

Romans 8

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

That's what born again means, it's not a title or a denomination, it's the very essence of what being a believer produces in our life, dead in the flesh, alive in the spirit.

John

I can explain that.
        I believe Jesus was born and died for my sins. I believe in giving back to society. I believe in respecting humans, however lowly they are in society.   But I also do some things I consider sins, but no harm done to any one.
        To repeat, I am not a born again

1. aguasilver profile image71

Try it, being born again makes those things you 'sin' with much easier to spot and stop/avoid.... no point in fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Of course one has to decide to die first, but hey! what have you got to lose except your sin?

John

3. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First you have to believe and accept that we are created spiritual beings, placed inside human skin. God tells us we are created in His image and His image is spiritual.

As long as we remain in human form, every Christian will continue to sin, it is the nature of the flesh to do so. But we also know that Jesus, forgives us our sin as long as we truly confess it to Him, repent and try to not do it again.

There is no degrees of sinning. As far as God is concerned sin is sin and all sin is an abomination to God. There is no such thing as a lesser sin, or a little fib, or a white lie.

1. profile image0

1 John 3:6
        Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why would eating a little bite of cake be a sin?

1. profile image57
        Consuliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

RebekahElle, love reading queries from thoughtful individuals. It is often funny
        when people to try to answer for God. Mainly, the title "religion" mislabels things under religion. First, there are religions. The creator is not a
        religion - He is a person- the name we interpret into English from the Hebrew name of God that pertains to His interaction with humanity as our Savior, is
        Jesus (Heb. Yah"shua- Yah-God, "shua -Savior). God is not so petty that eating a 'bite of cake is sin". However, eating out of control is a pattern of
        temptation that leads to gluttony. Gluttony is linked to greed. Greed is linked
        to covetousness. Covetousness is linked to lust for what is anothers. Therefore, the connection to diet is really an exhortation or plea for self
        control under the power of the Holy Spirit, (God-Himself-as we submit to Him)
        Additionally are thing that bring us into bondage. So the clear focus is to live in
        the freedom God has provided for us in Jesus. Then our lives will have the abundance and joy He has made available to us. So, eating in moderation,
        sensibly, and under control of the Spirit's authority over our flesh selves is
        the aim of growth, victory over the Adversary (He is the bondage maker),
        and self management over the desires that cripple us.- Hope this helps a bit to clarify----Consulia

5. The0NatureBoy profile image56
      The0NatureBoyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The word "sin" means "missing the mark" and since all christs Christians are supposed to be living like (Isaiah 7:14-22 and Acts 11:26) how can they sin. If you read the foregoing Isaiah writings you will find the virgin's son and everyone who will be saved (Mat. 24:23) will have explored sin and righteousness before forsaking the concept of god and devil over man's abhorred land of death. How, then, can the reborn sin?

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

That's a really good question and I hope that some of our born-again Christian hubbers will notice your topic and post.
    Based on my own observations, I would say "yes."

3. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Everyone sins, and anyone who says that they do not is a liar, which is sin in itself.... the real issue is, do we keep a short account and aim not so much at avoiding sin, but rather practising doing things right.

The more you practise hitting the mark, the less often you will miss it. Sin (in archery terms) is missing the target, so aim to do right and keep practising.

Gods Grace always triumphs over Judgement, but you have to accept it and want to confess your sins.

1. earnestshub profile image79

So are you saying that anyone, even those who don't believe in your crazed fairy story god and hell are subject to it's rules anyway?
      I think you know where to put that! lol

Hi Earnest (long time no see each other!)

I would put it in the same place that you would put the law of gravity.... can you discount that?

I'm sitting in an apartment on the 14th floor (or 13a actually as the Chinese are superstitious about anything with a 4 in it, means death apparently, to them!) anyhow if I step off the balcony (stop wishing Earnest!) I will not escape the law of gravity without a parachute, the same is true in life, but fortunately, I have a 'parachute' and though  don't relish having to use it, if I 'fall' off this balcony, I at least know that the LAW of gravity will be tempered by my provision of wearing the 'parachute' offered to me.

Hows your parachute?

Your equivalent to the law of gravity is outrageous!
          Like to prove up the no show sky fairy!

1. profile image0

2. profile image0

Everyone is born into sin, meaning we all have the ability and inclination. But as Yahshua showed us we do not have to sin.

If you sin you are wrong.
      John 5:14
      Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

If you sin than you can't say you have eternal life.
      James 1:15
      Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

If you sin than you need to purify yourself. The true people of God don't sin. Is this a hard saying for you?
      James 4:8
      Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

James 5:20
      Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Yahshua's statement shows that there are the righteous and the sinners. Not all are sinners.
      Matthew 9:13
      But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

4. Diane Inside profile image74
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

That may be true to you, but it sure misses the mark with me!

I don't appreciate being told I am a sinner by someone's sky fairy. smile

I do so enjoy saying that im "living in sin" wwith my boyfriend though... smile

Actually, in scriptural terms you are probably NOT living in sin with your boyfriend, for God views promise + consummation = marriage, so in Gods opinion, if you chose to live together, and declared it (you just did that right here) you 'married' your spouse.... the sin will probably be when and if one of you 'divorces' the other, or commits 'adultery'.

Churchianity declares that you are living in sin, mainly because they feel it undermines their authority to have folk not legally married.... but a piece of paper only allows for the state to keep track and manage citizens, God needs no paperwork, He know our hearts and minds.

Enjoy your marriage! smile

John

1. profile image57

Hi, John- Your encouragement to Pink Umbrella was a very nice from the human point of view. Looking into the Word, we do find that if a man has
            a relationship (sexual) with a woman and vice versa, then they are married.
            That is a good reason why casual sex bring about a cargo of problems for
            people today. They have so many issues and don't quite grasp why. Too
            much sexual sharing is going on even after the relationships have terminated.
            However, addressing the issue of marriage having a paper acknowledgement attached to it being man's conception, that is not where it began. The One
            who gave marriage stated that the engagement or espousal of two persons
            would be documented. Mary and Joseph was a prime example. It was a
            practice that young women were engaged to be married long before they
            were of marriageable age. It was documented. They were considered already
            married. If something occurred, then the documents would be destroyed, and
            the offending party destroyed also. Hmmm. A bill, or writing of divorce was to
            follow a normal separation. Jesus addressed that in the book of Mark chapt.
            10. -Counselia

2. Diane Inside profile image74
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and I don't appreciate you earnesthub calling my God a sky fairy, why do you think that is not disrespectful.

1. Diane Inside profile image74

and why does it offend you if you do not believe in sin or such things, peculiar.

No, what is peculiar is taking a pile of ancient psychotic dog wash, and flogging it off to others calling them "sinners."
            It is not only intellectually an insulting thing to do, it assumes you know more and better than those who don't believe as you do!

Look I said I believe that all persons are capable of sin that is my belief, if you do not agree why can't you just say that you do not beleive that and leave it at that.

why do you have to go on the attack and Call God a sky fairy which is insulting to me, and the christian religion.

just because you do not believe the same way, does not give you the right to be insulting.

And I consider it to be abusive.

3. aguasilver profile image71

Of course you don't Earnest, it hits too near 'the mark' but if the cap fits wear it, and if you believe you are without sin, congratulations, you have done something no one other than Christ has ever achieved, lives a perfect life without ever sinning!

The world feels guilt for their sins,or justify them away, believers feel conviction of their sins and repent, revoke and make restitution for what they have done, if possible.

John smile

I agree I think he denies he believes, but hmmm, why make such comments, I wonder........

Casting aspersions on my character is a poor pull aqua, even when done in a slimy way it is still visible to others you know.

I am known in my city, I am knowable from my hubs. Your thinly disguised personal attack makes me feel like I just waded in some puke!
            Grow up!

Oh and calling God a sky fairy is mature. Yeah Okay.

Or you could address what I have said by carefully reading the post I replied to and seeing if you can spot the obvious put-down! smile

That was not from me Earnest, I accept that you are a decent bloke, and (surprisingly) if we met for a drink, I'm pretty sure we would be firm friends despite our differences, I have no disrespect for you, and if you have seen anything in these posts that led you to think that, you are wrong mate, my discussion with you is on semantics and for a bit of fun whilst I await my plumbers fixing a leak!

2. earnestshub profile image79

I wonder if the world is a mirror grasshopper.
            You seem to be exhibiting the behaviour you later showed disdain to another hubber for doing! smile

I did not see anywhere that ernestshub said that hes never done anything wrong or that he regrets, Its just not considered a sin in his opinion, because he does nto subscribe to your faith. Im oretty sure he did not say he was perfect. Why are you putting words in his mouth?

disrespect begets disrespect.

i guess that turn the other cheek thing is out for you guys than

nope I just stand up for myself. What am I  just supposed to let somebody offend me, insult me,

I can believe whatever I want, You can believe whatever, you want, yet I did not insult him or you.  He chose to insult me. That is abusive behavior in my book.

It's nice that he needs you to stand up for him though.

New to the religious forums are you? smile I speak for me, others speak for themselves. I don't do personal insults, that is a religious speciality.
                  I don't believe in sin or religion, why should I let you try to ram it down my throat?

I didn't try to ram anything down your throat, just stating what I believe, yet you sure tried to belittle me by giving condescending names to what I believe.

If you don't believe, then fine I didn't tell you to.

you however instigated the whole thing by name calling right off the bat.

And for somebody who doesn't do personal insults, what do you call that, it is an insult to me.

2. profile image57

if earnestshub does not want to see this religious thoughts and scriptures, then why would he be here on these pages, sounds and looks like he can not make up his mind.
                    if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then it is probaly a duck

3. profile image57

Hello, Earnest,
                    It's always good to ask questions. People have personalities, or mannerisms
                    that we may not even be aware that we are misdirecting our communications
                    towards the personal instead answering each others thinking in a meaningful
                    way. Actually, not believing in religion is a great thing. The Creator never speaks of religion for creation. That comes out of another interference area
                    to confuse humans into thinking there is no such person, being who created
                    the universe  visible and invisible. Living and learning often assists us to see
                    that the place we're in has direct order and connected. Our process of thinking, relating and rethinking is based upon order. The world we inhabit
                    has consistent and deliberate order. Historically, each generation must ad-
                    mit that researching in reverse has revealed the same conclusion, the earth
                    has intricate design, someone did it, accidentally existence in orderly process
                    is beyond the concept.  Whether all persons believe that the earth has such
                    a designer, or originator will not rob the earth of the facts that support it.

It's quite provocative of you to even throw out such thoughts that you think
                    the way you do about the Supreme order and the knowledge of God. We can
                    have knowledge of the Creator, without religion bearing down upon us, if we
                    take time to ask Him to prove Himself. Other have, He has and there is no
                    reason why you shouldn't make your mind available for a meeting with the
                    One who did it all. After all, He has given the first invitation--take Him up on
                    it.  Best way to solve any argument is to go to the source. It matters not one
                    ounce if you believe, He'll prove Himself, if you're honest about what you
                    have stated. Inquiry is how educators and scientist approach unknowns.
                    Help yourself. I'd like what you've thought up.  Now get into the grist and
                    discover more than the level of where you stand.  Thanks for your provoke---consulia

Imnot standing up for anyone, justmaking an observation. i tired once again to come in here with an open heart, as i previously deduced that the christians in these forums were all in attack mode. I can see now that i was right.

93 hubs and I never saw you before. I will go take a peak! smile

Pink (excuse the familiarity)I'm not putting words in his mouth, he does not recognise that sin exists, he cannot do that, or he would need to answer for his sin... the dictionary states that:

sin 1  (sn)
            n.
            1. A transgression of a religious or moral law, especially when deliberate.
            2. Theology
            a. Deliberate disobedience to the known will of God.
            b. A condition of estrangement from God resulting from such disobedience.
            3. Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.
            intr.v. sinned, sin·ning, sins
            1. To violate a religious or moral law.
            2. To commit an offense or violation.
            [Middle English sinne, from Old English synn; see es- in Indo-European roots.]

I got that from a secular dictionary, and I've bolded the secular definition,let's forget all religious connotations for now, we are talking about a common word used to define an action that our society accepts exists, but Earnest does not.

Earnest, bless his cotton socks, is attempting to remove a word from the English language (and I dare say most other languages) can anyone show me a language or culture where sin does not exist?

And why would society create a word for something which does not exist?

Really? because if your talking society, you dont get arrested for "sins" but for breaking "laws." In our society, sin describes a defect from religeous or moral obligation. The dictionary was created long after the word sin, so lets not mince words here. He does not follow the christian faith, and nor do i. I just dont understand why you guys are getting so offended at the fact that he called your god a "sky fairy." Its not his god. I mean, its not ecactly nice of him, and i can see why you would find it offensive, but i dont think being nast back is going to solve anything is it?

And the society that accepts the word sin is pretty much all those who follow god, am i wrong?

as an added note, no one jumped on deborah with definitions when she said not everyone sins...

1. profile image0

no, but i will coddle your oversensativity and explain that certain people get attacked more than others in these forums. You were left alone, and he should have been too.

Yep, you are actually wrong, even in your summise that it's breaking laws, the dictionary quote lists:

2. To commit an offense or violation.

That's breaking a law.

The area where sin enters religious thought is specific in that it mainly refers to breaking Gods law in some way, which obviously if you have no belief in God, you would find offensive and inapplicable to you, so be it.

We all break the law daily, sometimes we get caught and have to pay a penalty, because that penalty is temporal and instant, we accept that someone has the right to make those laws and enforce them, we break them because we don't respect them, not normally deliberately, just because we can't be bothered to stay within the law.

God's laws are the same, folk break them because the don't respect the lawmaker (God in this instance) they don't do it deliberately most of the time, it just makes more sense at that time to do the wrong thing that they don't respect is wrong, so they break that law, and if nothing happens to show they were wrong, they continue breaking that and any other laws that they feel are not relevant to them.

The fact is that God does not have policemen waiting to book you for those small infringements, although there are plenty of believers who think a citizens arrest is within their authority.... it's not, we can point out what God states about something, get abused for doing so, and then, having done our obligations, let you continue as you wish.

Eventually WE ALL answer for the laws we have broken, and not paid for.... believers stand on the promise that Christ paid for their sins once and for all.... secular folk, who refuse God and Christ,have rejected that payment made on their behalf, so when they stand finally for sentence to be passed, they have to pay the cost themselves.

Simple really, yet most folk travel through life unaware that in effect there are spiritual 'CCTV' cameras recording their every infraction.

Some day, we are going to have to answer for those 'infractions'.

I will not call them sins, that may offend someone who is sinless.

BTW I am not offended when someone denigrates God, simply sorry that they should chose to do so... as far as I know the only offence they are committing is taking the NAME above all names in vain, but of course as they are normally 'sinless' I guess they need not be concerned about such a trifling thing.

Apologies, I'm being sarcastic, but hopefully nobody will be offended.

3. profile image0

4. profile image57

Hello, Pink Umbrella-like your moniker--really makes me smile, since I love
                rain and splashing with my rambunctous students on a warm summer day
                in the rain, without an umbrella.  It is really cool to have a way to interact with
                people on topics that can become a challenge or a distraction. However, we
                do often equate life's meaning and what it should be by our behaviors. What
                I'm referring to is the thought posted about living in sin, do all people sin, and
                why one uses such a word as sin. If I may, from what is given about words in
                the latin, sin is a latin root (still used in spanish today) that means without-
                so since people are not without- the term sin is applied in English to mean
                is with wrong doing. That is quite correct, all people, whether they believe
                in a little word as an appropriate description of human is with wrong doing.
                We have wrong thinking, wrong actions, wrong desires. We can stretch it
                further and say we have these actions not as we compare ourselves to
                people, but in our relationship to the one who owns us-The Creator. He is
                the one who has determined what is the right and the wrong. It's not man
                engineered at all. He sets the standard, because He is the standard. But,
                guess what? He knows our weaknesses because He knows how we be-
                came weak. He has done something about the weakness, He has brought
                us back from a broken relationship into one that is whole through, His own
                doing, Jesus' sacrifice, death, burial, and resurrection-YOu see Jesus is
                The Creator, doing something for us that only He can do. He takes my
                weaknesses, dies for them, overpowers the rule that says we can't and
                reclaims us throught the method He has determined. So we are no longer
                under the can't but the can. It's all on Him. Now we can ask for forgiveness,
                He will do the amazing thing of renewing us and pardoning us - It doesn't
                stop there- but we'll talk again- keep on caring. You are a caring person.
                -Consulia

5. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

Who soever walk by Faith, Sinning is impossible...

Christian are bound in sin, because they have never uinderstood faith. and they heap sin upon other because of their lack of knowledge.

There is a time when one would sin and this is so to achieve the puposes of God, for through Sin (baptism) perfection comes.

And Faith brings you freedom from all sin.

You see it is through Christ I am able to do all things (including what is was regarded as sin) and withouit Him I could not do anything....

Therefore is Christ Sin?
    if so then I am still bound in sin , but if not I am free from all sin.

6. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

The word sin is in most common usage when pointing to the shortcomings of other-than-self through a mystical entity.

Psychologically it is this very behaviour that resembles megalomania as a personality trait.

7. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Personally, I find the idea that being "born again" is enough to attain heaven by itself, without also being a good person and doing good works, to be deeply disturbing.

I realize that when someone declares themselves to be "born again" they're supposed to live accordingly, but "supposed to" and "do" are very different things. When you believe that you're going to heaven regardless of what you do on earth, what real motivation is there to be a good person?

Forrest Gump summed it up "simple is as simple does" (but it could have been other words, though the message remained the same).

I once wreaked havoc in a nice little church of long term Christians, when I said that Once saved always saved was correct.... but then added that the emphasis was on ONCE, as in ONCE you are saved...

ONCE you ARE saved a regeneration takes place, you really do become a 'new creation' and life does change, yours and those you interact with..... other peoples problems become your ministry, so to speak.... that is that when you see someone with problems, you try to solve them.

Of course as a believer in Christ, you KNOW the answer is in Christ, so most folk with problems decide that they will not seek to solve them HIS way.

The real point is that folk just want to be Frank Sinatra, and do it THEIR WAY.... even when their way has patently failed to solve the problems...

Take a quick look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXut0HxncvY

It's funny too! smile

2. profile image57

Hi, kerry- you are on to something. Many people refer to many instances of being born again. Things such as recouping from a broken love relationship,
      to a new career, to a new insight into a study (smile). The application of the words born again came from the lips of the most reknowned, holy man, god
      man ever walked earth in flesh. Yet in His God self could make the statement
      that one must be born again in order to enter the kingdom of God. Was He,
      jesus lying? Not possible. So, there are certainly distortions in application and
      perceptivity on that phrase. However, it still means what it is suppose to mean. True change from human mind dependent, to Holy Spirit indwelling
      mind dependent. After all, the Holy One, Spirit is now other than the Presence
      of God Himself in Spirit form.
           There is a way to live in the born again, newess of life. By faith in Jesus,
      God, we receive new Spirit life, new relationship-salvation from our fallen
      sinful condition under the penalty of eternal judgment into the torments of
      Hell, and a son-daughter relationship that can not be severed with God.
      We have a new mind, the new mind must be developed through prayer,
      study of the Word of God and obedience. Many want the words, but re-
      fuse to surrender to disciplinary processes. But guess what? God says
      those who are genuinely His, are taken through a process of chastening.
      What's that, you ask, it is the spiritual discipline that Fatherhood demands
      that he execute over His children, in loving concern. The Adversary knows
      how to trip us up, make us look like the rest of the unbelieving crowd. So
      God gets busy doing the fatherly work of pruning and cultivating the wild
      weeds that we sometimes resemble. Oh, tangle and twine, if we're left
      to our own minds! -Consulia

8. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

Are they not humans? lol.

9. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

After reading up some on the 'born again' phenomenon, which was mentioned in the bible, the current phenomenon started in the 60's and was associated with the Jesus People of that time. What was also interesting and was a surprise to hear was that both Bob Dylan and Alice Cooper were born again as was Mr. T. smile

...and Leonard Cohen plus quite a few others!

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? Wow! I wonder if there's a list of celebrities and such that are born again. Interesting. Thanks. smile

10. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

I do believe some don't believe they sin.  They don't ackowledge their wrong choices as sin.  But I believe we all have sinned, and continue to sin, even when we try not to sin.  We are far from perfect!  We can strive to do better, to overcome temptations and or bad habbits, yet we still will sin.  I believe if a person is a follower of God, they will sin less, as they grow in the Lord.  They may even come to hate sin, because of the consiquences that we pay, when we do wrong.  The price is much to high, for the act of a few minutes or even hours of pleasure.  I am thankful, that there has been made a way for forgiveness...for each of us, not matter what wrongs we have done.

11. profile image57
    ThePeeDeeWildcatposted 13 years ago

All born again Christians have sinned after salvation and will continue, periodically, to sin for the rest of their lives on this earth. The true born again Christian does not get comfortable with sin. We have the assurance ( as it is written in I John ) that if we confess our sin, then the Lord is faithful and just to cleanse us of our iniquity. I, for one, have to do a good bit of confessing all along.

1. profile image57

Good commentary-PeeDeeWildcat-

The idea of living the faith is that we become less and less like the world and
      more and more conformed to the mind and likeness of Jesus. We are to
      grow in grace and the power of applying the Holy Spirits power in our lives.
      the tempter, our Adversary, Satan, knows the weaknesses of our human
      thinking. He's an expert in sin, wrong doing. But, that 's why the Lord gives
      to the church pastor and teachers to be His voice and authority as they
      guide us in the Word-especially while we are growing in the grace of God.
      But, there comes a time when we are expected to become able to feed on
      the "meat" or more demanding things of God and release the unproductive
      things driving the flesh man. The nature we feed is the nature that leads.
      God wants the spirit of man to be led by the Holy Spirit, that why He
      works so hard and diligently with us. Wow! Talk about tough love that
      gently does the pottery sculpting in a life. Cry, sigh, rejoice and dance!
      That's the true believer's legacy. -Consulia

12. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Good for all you "CHRISTIANS" continue on with your sinning.

Ah, sin all you want and than go to heaven. What a special thing.

wow

1. profile image0

What's wow about it.
        That's what everyone is stating. That everyone sins (so that means the person stating this is a sinner)
        That it's OK to sin.

Im hopeing i can speak to you without you getting all crazy on me. I dont think that anyones saying its ok to sin, just that jesus died for their sins, so that when they do sin, if they accept christ, they can repent, and be washed clean. Isnt that the whole reson that they say jesus died for their sins? So that when they do make a boo boo they can be washed clean in the blood of the lamb?

1. profile image0

If Yahshua died for them and they were "washed in his blood" why would they sin?
            Sin is a choice.
            Sin has a different definition in  Hebrew than in English.

So i approach you hopeing that you wont bear your teeth, and you cant help but be sarcastic and condecending. I did not say that sticking to your opinion is crazy, you came up with that all on your own. How am i being crazy?

being washed in the blood of jesus gives them the ability to repent for their sins, it makes it so they can walk away from that sin, and move on and learn from their mistakes.

Again, im not a christian, but i know as much and more than some christians about the faith.

I did not say that you were crazy, but people on here get defensive before realizing that someone is not attacking.

no one is perfect. thats all im saying. Just because your a christian, that does not mean you are exempt from wrong doing.

1. ReuVera profile image82
                ReuVeraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I understand what you mean. I am not a Christian either. I am secular. I am NOT an atheist, by no means. I am just secular. I hate religion. Be it "Jesus blood", or "indulgences", or praying for forgiveness, all these are just religion insinuations, invented by people for some agenda.
                If you have GOD inside you, he will be your conscience, your light, your road map. You will not have to rely upon anyone or anything to clean you from sin. It will be all your choice.

Being secular is actually being Christian. A good Christian is secular in that he looks at all other human beings as his equals, however deviated his religion is from his own interpretation of Christianity.

1. ReuVera profile image82
                    ReuVeraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I might disappoint you, but I am not Christian. I am Jewish. A secular Jew. I have my God, I don't need religion.
                    In my personal understanding, sin is hurting people who did not hurt you.

2. profile image0

secular
                    adjective
                    1 denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis
                    2 Christian Church (of clergy) not subject to or bound by religious rule; not belonging to or living in a monastic or other order. Contrasted with regular .

2. profile image0

How are you being crazy? Have I said anything in this thread that seems crazy? That is why I feel you are getting crazy because I have remained calm and have done nothing. I write a lot of hubs because I care for people, but I do not get angry if someone does not accept what I teach. I have become angry when people attack me instead of my teachings.

To respond to your remarks
                Since the dawn of man, we have been able to repent for our sins and be forgiven. Read the Old Testament. Sin is not a mistake it is a choice. We always know before we do something if it's right or not.

Don't stereotype people.I get defensive from personal attacks.

No one is perfect but not everyone sins.

First of all, I'm not a Christian and please don't call me that.
                No one said I am exempt from sin..but not everyone sins, only those who want to.

No one called you a christain, i said that i was not a christian, but that i know the faith well...this means old and new testiment. And who are you talking about when you say you wrote alot of hubs but dont get angry at people who disagree? Is that a slam against my hubs and the way i react? Because if it is, you must not read all of the comments in their entierty.

Read the old testiment? Im guessing you assume that i do not. Assumptions are so interesting, arent they?

i did not attack you, i disagreed with you.

No sex before marriage, right? What if someone is raped? or forced? Its a sin, but not a chosen one. Now here is my attack on you to satisfy your need to be right about that    ahemm....your an idiot.

and by being raped being a sin, i mean that it is still sex, that is all. I am not calling rape victems sinners. I am saying that thay are being forced into sex without being married to that person, and that in your book is a sin, but not a chosen one.

2. profile image0

3. profile image0

You said you were afraid I would get crazy on you. I said I only get upset when someone attacks me. I was saying it is OK to disagree with me. I said I write those hubs because I care about people..but if they don't agree 
                    that is their choice.
                    I have never heard of you and have never read your hubs. So I am not slamming them.
                    If you compare my response to what you wrote you would see that I responded to everything you said and would understand my meaning. I included your comments and responded to each one. Read again.
                    So who said you did not read the old testament. I said "read old testament" the same as I would have said "see next page"
                    I haven't assumed anything. You are reading something into nothing. Please calm down and reread before getting upset.

I am not attacking you.

Being raped is not a sin for the victim.
                    How dare you to call me an idiot and you told me not to get crazy on you.
                    Stop the childish name calling and talk like an adult.

2. profile image57

no one will ever be perfect, all christians sin, some times they do no realize they sin. it is so easy to see the mote in someone else's eye. Jesus Christ is the only perfect human to ever walk the earth.  when we slip we can talk to our Lord and get forgiveness, if a christian never asks for forgiveness, they are in trouble

1. Jerami profile image58
                    Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very true!!

When we think that we have it all under controll is when we are most likely to fall.

2. profile image0

Sin is not slipping. We are told not to sin.

It is a nature we are to overcome.
                    Not everyone sins.

John 9:31
                    Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth

James 1:15
                    Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

3. profile image57

the tongue can no man tame, it is a world of iniquity
                  if a man think he stand, take heed lest he fall,
                  if some one think they do not sin, take heed,  me thinks a little pride is in the way

1. profile image0

That's a bunch of bull!
                    If you can't tame your tongue or stop sinning..don't put your attributes off on others.

2. profile image57

Hello, Deborah, whew! Well said and I am on your side with a Whoa! there.

That may be a simple depiction that some who attend the church and say
      they are Christian, or identify with the Christian church. However, remember
      one fact, Jesus knows those that are His. He made that statement when a
      few persons were making shabby commentary about living worldly, or as
      if they were still under the sin nature. How challenging and how abrupt Jesus
      put the picture in focus--nevertheless, the Lord knows them that are His.
      That's quite specific. Sinning that may stupefy ourselves and others does occur when a new believer starts on the journey. The love of God is power-
      ful and the new believers desires are and can be powerful too. The Wicked
      One, who Jesus warns of, is just waiting for the opportune moment (s) to
      kick our foundations away and often does. Some persons have become so
      distraught over failing God that they run away from Him is disdain for themselves. Others become cynical and think there is nothing to following
      Jesus and living a life of obedience. New believers can be young, middle
      aged or older, but the time to grow takes time. We release those old habits
      as we surrender to the Holy Spirit and let Him live out our new, born again
      life through us. Perhaps, the teaching or lesson to be learned in the failure
      is that we are not spiritually able to live the Holy life on our own, we must
      depend on Jesus, or failure is all we'll ever know. The disciple John, who
      loved Jesus so much wrote to the Church, saying, "Little children sin not,
      (or don't sin, but if you do, you have an advocate, .. Jesus the righteous).
      In saying this, he wasn't making excuses for people falling or walking into
      sin, but know that sin is a bitterness that will send you reeling. The reeling
      is the accusation of the Evil One, who wants to destroy the believer, knowing
      that the overwhelming sensation of guilt will drive the believer farther away
      from Jesus, and/or destroy their testimony to others God wants to draw
      to Himself through that individual. He tells us to come to Him and repent.
      God will strengthen us agains the other attacks of temptation. We can
      send the Devil running-through resisting.  - It is a continual warfare. But
      we can win with Jesus - He is the armour that Satan fears. -Consulia

13. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Everyone sins, born again or not.  Its human nature.  Even the Dali Lama admits he has sinned.  Heck far, look at our awful Pope.  What he has done to Catholicism is a sin in itself.

14. ReuVera profile image82
    ReuVeraposted 13 years ago

Not everyone sins. And you don't have to be "born again Christian" (btw, what is it at all?) not to sin. It is matter of choice. It is matter of what you consider a sin.

1. profile image0

To everyone else
      Remember Yahshua said he came not to save the righteous.
      So there were righteous before he ever came

2. profile image57

ReuVera

God Himself, indicates that since sin was introduced into the world, we, humans are constantly in the presence of evil. Evil is a spirit being, who
      the Creator explains that we have a real foe. That is why your Hebrew
      Scriptures are linked top the Messiah who was sent into the world to
      break the sentence upon humans. The Evil One is also known as the
      Tempter. King David was tempted of the Devil to do an accounting of
      the soldiers when God told Him not to do it. Then he had to face the
      consequences of his actions. God called David into accountability.
          Yes, every since Adam's fall in the creation, Genesis account, the
      presence of wrong actions has induced mankind to sin, or break God's
      laws. All, not some, break God's laws. Moses, who God used to write
      the first five books of the law, sinned in that he committed murder in
      Egypt. But God chose Moses, and Moses obedience and faith was
      the means by which God declared Moses to be a righteous man.
           In offering the sacrifice, YOM Kippur, this is a ceremony that is
      established to be a temporal sin offering to bring atonement ( at one
      ment-God and man back into union), for man's sinning. We sin in
      word, thought and deed. All have sinned said the God of Abraham.
      But, God the God of Israel said He would provide Himself
      the Savior, Isaiah 45:15- and Isaiah 9:6.
         Flesh is riddled with rebellion and temptations to sin. We are told to
      bring the flesh, natural nature of man, under the power of the Holy
      Spirit. That is the only way to be sin free, forgiven and atoned for
      through the blood of Jesus. (the blood of the animals is no longer
      acceptable to God, Jesus died once for all, never to suffer for sin again)
      Isaiah 53.
      Thanks for that provocative insight-Consulia

15. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Absolutely they can, and do. Some confess on TV.

16. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

sin is subjective term depending on faith one follows..in some religions eating non veg is big sin..so for them those who eat non veg are sinners...like wise other faiths have other definition of sins...

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

yes! every time they come into the forums.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

smile smile cool

3. earnestshub profile image79

Clear as a bell as usual Ralwus! smile

18. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Can a born-again Christian sin? Sure, providing they believe the teaching.

However, if they believe their teaching, then they are gullible.

Born-again is actually a metaphor used by Jesus with regards to their view on life and nothing more. smile

I agree Cagsil.
      I know first hand the evangelistic baptists live out of that bit from John. smile

19. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Show me the sin of gluttony in the scriptures and I'll eat it.

smile That's the spirit! smile

1. profile image0

big_smile One person even said if "I tweeze my eyebrows, I'm vain and that's a sin" but I call it grooming

2. profile image57

Hi, Deborah, I like your funny. that's what it's for. There are incidents of other
      situations that describe people who love pleasure more than they love God.
      Which is their inducement to gluttony, lusts, envy, mockery of God and the
      things that He establishes as sacred. It's really strange how the Bible is
      quite descriptive of how behaviors that really identify us was a large part of
      the events that catapulted nations into demise and being conquered by some
      other nation much more destructive than they appeared to be. it's almost
      ironic that when people are credited with having the advantage of knowing
      better, they are expected to live better. That seems to be the state of things
      working themselves out in this society. HMMMM. Thank you for your timely
      insights. -Consulia

20. quicksand profile image82
    quicksandposted 13 years ago

Sinning is a relative thing. The more the number of people commit a particular sin, the less offensive it becomes. Or better still the definition "evolves!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)