Do you forgive people?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (43 posts)
  1. snagerries profile image69
    snagerriesposted 13 years ago

Human beings are not perfect anyway, If your friends or workmates doing bad to you, do you forgive him?
    or you will angry forever or keep inside the heart forever?

1. lady_love158 profile image61
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm very forgiving... but I don't forget!

snagerriesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It happens..

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes. life is short. Time is great for distilling down your anger factor. after a while you just don't care anymore and things that seemed so important once upon a time don't even register on your radar.

except if someone hurt my son. i don't think i could forgive that.

3. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am very forgiving, however people can go 'too far' with me, after which they are out.

4. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you should forgive......unless they are complete jerk and not sorry then you report or avoid

i think.

5. Polly C profile image89
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I usually forgive people. Life's too short to hold a grudge.  However, that doesn't mean I'd let them walk all over me..

6. profile image0
      Surabhi Kauraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I forgive them with the passage of time. I end up with a question, "Do I deserve to be free from that person or that situation?" The answer I get from myself is, "Yes, because I was innocent."

If God can forgive those who commit mistakes, then why not we humans? If we'll forgive them, we'll surely feel the presence of God. 'Forgiveness' is a trait of God.

We are human beings and it is an universal truth that humans commit mistakes. "To err is human." When we do mistakes, we want others to forgive us. Similarly, when they do mistakes, they want us to forgive them. So, one should happily embrace forgiveness.

By forgiving those who have hurt you, you will free yourself from anger, bitterness and ego. Forgiving them, you will welcome and embrace happiness, joy, satisfaction and peace. Alexander pope has rightly said, "To err is human; to forgive divine." Believe it!

2. JulesGerome profile image60
    JulesGeromeposted 13 years ago

People that do me wrong are banned from my life. I don't want them near me. I don't seek revenge, but if the occasion comes, I will do them some harm, probably.

3. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

I used to forgive people easily, but I've found it's better to do as JulesGerome - ban them from my life. If the wrong done to me causes me to lose something, I make sure I get it back - from them.
    I'm talking about deliberate 'wrong-doing', of course, and I've learned that if somebody does it once, they'll do it again.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You guys obviously have never raised any teenagers

4. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

I forgive.

I try to separate a person's actions from their true being.

But sometimes when someone shows me hostile intent over and over, I find it's best to ignore and walk away.

I don't need to fight with someone; it's a waste of their energy and mine.

Not bad at all.
      You need the sword of wisdom to dig out the seeds of bad memories.

5. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I forgive. If its something that happens over and over, or something very serious, it may end a relationship. But I try my best to not hold a grudge. let them go on, and hopefully learn from their mistakes. Just not make those mistakes in MY life.

6. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i forgive and forget, being a little absent minded helps

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forgive of course, I don't want to bottle up negative emotion that are harmful to me!!

2. snagerries profile image69

I think forgiving is the best option but being absent minded doesnt help.

7. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

i do...

8. Joe Badtoe profile image58
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I usually confuse those that do me wrong by beating myself up and then confronting them whilst my wounds are still fresh by shouting 'why did you do this to me?' they of course can't recall inflicting harm upon me which adds to their confusion, and preys on their mind as the guilt becomes a mountainous region that can't be climbed. This ensures a rapid descent into a haunting and tortured psychosis that requires immediate internment in a secure unit and a daily reliance on pills for several years.

Then my work will be done.

9. Chloe Comfort profile image60
    Chloe Comfortposted 13 years ago

I too can be very forgiving - up to a point. I will always give someone a second chance but they had not better screw up again because they won't get a third. Forgetting - well, that is a whole other issue big_smile

10. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

you always want to try and forgive, whether you forget only time will tell.

yaa but atleast we can try

11. Info Bucket profile image63
    Info Bucketposted 13 years ago

Usually I forgive them. But now, I am angry with one of my mate for some days.......

Yaa but I will suggest you not to drag this for too long smile

12. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have no reason to forgive anyone. I've already come to face the fact that they will make mistakes and accepted them for it.

Therefore, nothing to forgive. wink

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I forgive - perhaps too easily.

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Right after I kill them

*devilish laugh*

15. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

It is never too easy big_smile

16. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

It took me 45 years to forgive the abuse I lived through. But I forgave. By doing so I freed myself. The chains of hate were finally broken and I was freed.

I don't forgive easily. I carry grudges. I work every day to let that old thinking go and remember how good it is to be free of hate and unkindness. It's a hell of a lot of work. I get tired of it. But I keep trying. It's worth it.

There are some people, however, who will never be more than who they are right now--selfish, users, abusive and more. I cut them off immediately. No use in enabling them.

1. profile image0
      Uma07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that Daniel. We can't change people but we can always avoid them.There are some people in my life whom I think I  never  ever will forgive and the sadest part is I cannot cut them off coz they are close to my closest.

17. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

I like the term acceptance over forgiveness.  For me the term forgiveness has religious connotations.    And in some sense forgiving is somehow validating another person's despicable behavior. 

I'm probably mincing words but until I learn to accept the actions of another person, and de-charge the reaction it has brought up in me, then forgiveness won't happen.  thank goodness I've done a lot of de-charging otherwise the festering would be terrible.

Empathy and compassion and the ability to not be a victim helps heaps.

18. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

It all depends to me on the grievance - how bad was the hurt because there all different degrees of hurt. 

It also depends on the apology (if you ever get one).  If it is superficial or made to sound like I made too big a deal of something, then I might forgive, but I surely won't forget. 

I think people should always think about how things look to the other person but that is very Polyanna.  A TRUE apology or a true understanding of how someone feels means more than all the superficiality in the world - or no apology. 

Short answer - I forgive, but I have degrees with which I measure the 'wrong' - and if it is truly uncalled for and the person is arrogant about my feelings - I never forget it.  I try not to dwell on it but I just remember the path we took!

19. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

The only person you can forgive is yourself.  The reason is because only you are responsible for your actions, resulting in you being responsible for the reaction.  If one is aware of themselves, one can feel how people are around them.  This provides you the opportunity to choose how you react and act.

20. Gypsy48 profile image76
    Gypsy48posted 13 years ago

I have become more forgiving as I have gotten older. Time is too precious to waste on holding grudges.

21. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 13 years ago

I forget in the sense that I never kept alive the anger, but if this person disappointed me,  for me changes the type of relationship. For example if a friend disappoints me, he will no longer have my trust, or must demonstrate his credibility (and will not be easy!)

22. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

It's hard to forgive when nobody forgives you.

23. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I forgive and forget.  Life is too short to fill it with anger.

24. profile image0
    Ella90posted 13 years ago

I forgive easily, but it isn't always as easy to forget, but I try to as everyone makes mistakes and if the person is sorry for what they've done then they deserve a chance to redeem themselves just like I'd hope if I hurt someone they'd give me the chance to make up for it and forgive me

25. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

I'm more in the business of hoping people forgive me. I dream of the day when I can choose whether to forgive others.

26. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Forgiving saves your soul.

Don't be hurt and angry for all the days you live,
    Cry your share of tears then let yourself forgive.

27. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

I have a hard time forgiving. Some things are unforgivable, and there are other times I'm too stubborn.

28. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Forgiving is the easy part, forgetting much harder. Esp. if you've been deeply hurt. Its an effort sometimes, but one must continue to make it. As so many have said, the worse thing you can do to yourself in life is to harbor grudges against someone - it only hardens hearts and fills us with bitterness. And as Milton said, "The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.." 

1. Joe Badtoe profile image58
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I once held a grudge but it was both cuning and strong and eventually escaped to join a grudge cult.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)