Superficial friendliness or rude honesty?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

In the mother of all ironies, I witnessed a fight break out over, get this, friendliness.  A tried and true confederate soldier descentant was arguing that Southerners were by far nicer and kinder than Yankees and a transplanted Yankee argued that Southerners WERE nicer to your face, quicker with a smile and a wave but didn't really mean it while the Yankees didn't believe in niceties and told you to your face how they felt about you, good or bad. 
    It got me to thinking about that.  Would I rather have somebody be nice to me with dishonest intentions or have sombody be honest with me but with an attitude? I'm curious to see what y'all think about this....

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the first instance you are describing ALL men in a bar,
      in the second instance you are describing most husbands

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You win. That response was one of your best, Homer.

2. profile image0
        RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahaha....nice answer!

Honesty trumps it for me every time.

3. Chaotic Chica profile image61
        Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greek One that was great! I love that answer!

4. ceciliabeltran profile image64
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You funny dude

2. Traqqer profile image66
      Traqqerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd obviously rather have the Yankee friend because he would be truthful, but would hope that the Yankee could more nicer on the outside and more often.

3. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That has been my experience.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that was a classic, Greek. ha.

being a born and raised midwesterner, it is a combination of situational ethics. big_smile

not necessarily being dishonest, but in some cases, there is a superficial friendliness when first meeting someone or in work situations.

Of course there is, usually, when first meeting but this was more in referrence of an on-going, regular thing.
      Either way a mix is ideal, someone who will be friendly and warm but absolutely honest.  I don't want to have to wonder if the person being nice to me is really plotting some social trap to lure me into for public humiliation or if they really mean what they are saying.  It's a trust thing. I need to be able to trust your word and your actions and know that they are one in the same. That's just my opinion, though! smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think one can't really speak in general terms. There are honest people and hypocrates everywhere. But either way, I think it's best to be balanced - you can't always say what you think because it would be rude. You can lose a lot of friends that way. Not everyone is ready to hear your opinion, and nobody (no matter how close a friend or relative) is entitled to shove their opinion down someone's throat. A good friend will understand that there are times when your advice might be helpful but other times when you need to learn your own experiences, no matter how painful.

I would like to respectfully disagree with just a portion of this.  To a certain degree, I believe that this question can only be answered in the realm of general terms as there are far too many specific circumstances where keeping your opinion to yourself is best for everyone and other times where brutal honesty is necessary. 
          I was not meaning to give the impression that I was condoning shoving one's opinion on anybody, that's never a good way to be a friend.  What I was meaning was that I want my friends to be able to tell me if I have done somthing offensive or if they could see something I could not that potential hurt me either personally or professionally.  I don't want a 'friend' who always holds back and bites their toungue.  I also don't want a 'friend' who is pure attitude every day. That's what I meant by a healthy mix.
          Sometimes having somebody you love put that mirror in your face is the only way you will see what you need to see in order to be a better person, especially if what they see in you is a good person who deserves more that you realize.

3. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 13 years ago

Honesty is the best policy and attitude can some times be a good thing smile

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I prefer to be honest and say what is on my mind. If it comes across as rude or the person feels that they were insulted, then it wouldn't be of any surprise.

Truth usually hurts, regardless of how nice you try to say it. At times, using truth in a rude way does have an impact, to make people stop and think. Not so much about the person who said, but what was actually said.

Too many people use "political correct" speech to dull down the message of what they are saying. It is dishonest and in no way does it help the person. Lying to them intentionally isn't helpful and it displays your own character for others to see.

The best policy is to be truthful, regardless of consequences.

1. calpol25 profile image60
      calpol25posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree cagsil I have always spoke my mind smile

2. Chaotic Chica profile image61

big_smile

1. profile image0

You might be on to something here... maybe it's true and we (Southerners) are a bit more reserved about how we truly think. smile

1. calpol25 profile image60
          calpol25posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Possibly smile My upbringing was harsh mind if you lied you would get smacked for lying on top of what ever else you had done smile  big_smile

5. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

"Tactful Honesty" goes a long way.

Also, does one need to express their honesty ALL the time?

If you don't like say, the dog of a friend, do you need to tell the dog owner that their pet is ugly?

1. profile image0

LOL

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When asked a question- Truthfulness maintains character. So, Yes to your question. Express honesty ALL the time.

"Tactful" honesty? Forces someone to think about their answer and brings into question their honesty, because answer was not immediate. wink

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps when asked a question. But to blurt out ones honest tastes and opinions without being asked just marks the person as being rude.

3. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I once told someone their pet camel was ugly and the camel wouldn't come up to me anymore whenever I went round after that, I tried to apologize to the camel, but he had the hump!

4. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That depends, is there any chance that in your example 'dog' is a euphemism for 'wife'?

Because that's never a good idea, no matter how honest you're being. smile

6. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

The main thing is, if you're thinking something fairly negative, you don't have to say it.  And it is always better not to say something that isn't true.  Silence can be so golden, especially when it comes to office politics OR trying to get along with your teenage kids.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not only that, but sometimes the negative thinking you're thinking is only your opinion anyway.  Maybe you don't like someone's new haircut, but maybe that person and a whole lot of other people think it looks great.  Sometimes people need to consider the possibility that their lousy opinion of someone else may be a problem THEY (the lousy-opinion holder) have (which is yet another good reason to be careful about how much "truth" you feel the need to blurt out).   smile   (This kind of scenario gets into the "who-died-and-left-you-judge-and-jury" kind of thing.  I've dealt with "judges-and-juries" all my life - maybe we all have - and it isn't fun or healthy to deal with people like that.)

7. rebekahELLE profile image85

and there is a way to do that. my mom used to call it tact. no one enjoys being around rude people. I don't. I generally stop listening when someone is rude as I think there is a social aspect of life that is much more effective than being rude. to me, it shows a lack of class. there are enough mean people in the world, I don't want to be one of them. being honest doesn't mean lacking the ability to know what is proper and appropriate when dealing with people. smile

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I agree.  Just don't tell your 15-year old daughter exactly how unbecoming purple hair is.  Just don't tell your boss he/she should visit the gym and lay off the cookies. 

I agree with rebekahELLE that we really shouldn't just rudely state our minds.  We should be aware of the situation and other people's feelings.

That doesn't mean we should be dishonest.  If your daughter with the purple hair asks you, then, maybe--just say "I think your natural hair is such a lovely color that I don't like to see you change it."  Or something like that.  NOT --"Purple hair sucks...."

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Being "phony-nice" doesn't say much about a person's character and integrity.

Not bothering to be nice at all says he doesn't respect the other person enough to even both worrying about how he makes that person feel.

Neither of my the above, for me.  How about aiming to have integrity AND care about other people?  A lot of people manage to do both pretty well - and those who don't ought to have their head slapped.

1. timorous profile image81
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yay Lisa.  You just described me. smile

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I only give my opinion when it's requested. If not, I listen and I'm there for my friends when they hit rock bottom. I believe everyone needs to go through their own life lessons. We need to respect that and allow them to make their own mistakes.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85

it doesn't force anything.
    it simply means someone thinks before they speak... hmm
    why would that imply dishonesty? 
    diplomacy, integrity, caring for the other person are all worthy attributes for human interaction.

[omg, I have a 100. I have to go find that thread.]

11. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

This is the question that's at the heart of diplomacy and rhetoric.

The correct answer, in my opinion, is neither.  I would be unhappy with a rude a-hole just as much as I would be unhappy with PC liar who was going to stab me in the back.

What I prefer is a person with the social grace and intelligence to have a reasonable conversation in which courtesy and a genuine desire for the pursuit of truth is the guiding principle. 

Every one of us had the capacity to be one of the two in your binary here, but I think it's a false binary.  We as people should strive to be neither, but a balance in between.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

shadesbreath,   ......but once in awhile,  the occasional (deserving) rudeness.  After all, what is life without the occasional, satisfying, rudeness episode....  Occasional rudeness does have its place too.   smile

12. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

If those are my only choices, give me rude honesty. I've known far too many superficially friendly people in my life, many of whom I KNEW were superficially friendly, but just never imagined how badly they'd stab me in the back when they got a chance -- now I do. Now I truly appreciate the flaming a-hole who will just tell it to me like it is; I may not like it, I may not want to ever be around them again, but at least I know it right off the bat.

What I tend to run into most is blunt honesty, which many can take for rudeness, especially when they don't like what the person is saying. My husband is one who will be perfectly honest with you, and will be as polite as he can about it without omitting the message, and only resorts to rudeness when need be...though of course many people think he's being rude long before then. Personally, I try to live by "If you can't say something nice..." but if someone pushes me I'll tell them exactly what I think.

13. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

being tactful is good

14. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

pretty - you are so tactful smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Irish, how are you?

15. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 13 years ago

I haven't read all the post so I'm sure someone touched on this.  I honest.  BUT I try to find a way to get my point across that is diplomatic.  If an argument ensues, the I simply say "hey, lets agree to disagree on this one...." and I move on.

16. Bibowen profile image87
    Bibowenposted 13 years ago

Fake courtesy is better than genuine rudeness, most of the time.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like neither, i would like to strike a balance between being over courteous and plain rude. I just like people who are being themselves, but no one needs to be rude or insulting to be themselves.

1. Bibowen profile image87
        Bibowenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is never hypocritical to do the appropriate thing. We do things we don't want to do all the time, but they are right to do them. This is called discipline.

When people are being rude, they are usually being themselves. Often, they've been caught off guard. The first thing is to acknowledge that we are doing it (it doesn't help to redefine it away) and then work on good social habits so that our initial responses to people are gracious. "Fake it till you make it."

But, sometimes, rude behavior is called for; it might even be required. If someone is trying to compel you to do something that's immoral, illegal or unethical and they won't quit, you're best response is probably to bark in their face. They'll get the idea that there is no way you're going along.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)