Can you live off your earnings from adsense?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (74 posts)
  1. ponx profile image79
    ponxposted 13 years ago

I was wondering if people can live on their earnings from Adsense...or is it mostly a hobby based earning?

1. Traqqer profile image66
      Traqqerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been on here only about a week more than you have and from what I can tell, there is definitely a potential for high earnings, but will take a lot of work. You really need 100+ hubs before you start seeing some noticeable ad-based income flowing in......and that may just be a few dollars to begin with. From what I've seen the last few years of having been on a site like eHow, it also takes time for your articles to percolate through the web and increase in the search rankings.

My monthly income from eHow ranges anywhere from $100 to $200 with about 250 articles. Here, I've earned about $3 my first month with about 40 hubs.

1. profile image0
        JacquiDposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you write articles for eHow or do they have an adsense type thing?  I get $15/article I write for them through demandstudios.

1. Traqqer profile image66
          Traqqerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I no longer write revenue share articles (adsense) with eHow. I don't like demandstudios' review system.

2. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No cant live off of it just yet,but hoping to within the next 5years,at the moment it pays my car insurance,mobile phone bill and buys me maybe one xbox game per month.I do have a couple of blogs but havent monetised them yet as they just dont have the traffic yet.

3. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope. Still a long way to go. But at the moment, it pays for my one month Internet bill big_smile.

Edit: Oooppps, I mean my monthly Internet bill smile

4. profile image0
      JacquiDposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh man, my dream job lol.  Adsense off of Hubbing.  Someday!

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I know that one of the top hubbers pay their rent with HubPages.  As for me, I'm able to pay a utility bill each month with HubPages.

1. ponx profile image79
      ponxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flightkeeper....paying your utility bill is also great! Hopefully I will be able to do that someday!

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a very small bill ponx, don't be too impressed. smile

1. ponx profile image79

ok :-)....but an extra income is always worthwhile I'm sure....

3. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

i could of payed a bill once this year....lol

1. ponx profile image79

I did not get you kmackey32.Did you mean that you did pay bills this year?

4. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Guess it depends on much your living expenses are.  Some hubbers make thousands a month...and when I grow up I want to be just like them.  smile

Right now, I easily pay several bills a month with mine.

1. ponx profile image79

Thousands a month is quite a long way off for me as of now! :-) But hope to make at least a double digit earning.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I make the monthly payout threshold and I'm in the triple digits......I just need make some improvements and some concentrated efforts.

5. geargirl113 profile image60
    geargirl113posted 13 years ago

Not yet... but I am planning on being able to.

1. ponx profile image79

Ya me too!

6. MauKat profile image73
    MauKatposted 13 years ago

I can't live off of my Adsense earnings, but I do make enough to pay for my hosting and my domain addiction!  smile

1. ponx profile image79

That's nice to hear!Good going :-)

7. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

I like to get to milestones.  My first one was making $1 a day. I think everyone looks for that milestone.  Next I wanted HP to pay for my gas.  I spent about $40 a week in gas.  After that comes the rent.  Definitely not there yet, but on my way smile

1. ponx profile image79

Ya that sounds reasonable. And hope you reach your "rent" milestone soon!

8. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Slowly getting better each month. Wasn't even paying for a coffee when I first started. So glad its getting better smile

1. ponx profile image79

Nice to hear that!

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I do smile

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow, Misha, that's awesome!

2. ponx profile image79

WOW!That is really awesome.You are going to be an inspiration to many Hubbers I'm sure.

1. pisean282311 profile image64
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

he is super star on hub...he at times makes in one day what people like me take an year to make...

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's hard to believe now that I saw his profile thou.
          Not a lot of hubs etc
          How is that possible? I thought the most you could earn is 15,000 a month

1. ponx profile image79

15,000 a month! smile....i'm not even close to 5 bucks a month!

3. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that great, do you have another profile or your 21 hub was enough for it? i read few of your hubs. that were great.but is it enough?

4. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

... and loving it! as Maxwell would say. smile

10. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

i manage to pay half of my internet bill lol

1. ponx profile image79

Good Good pisean282311!Your next milestone should be to try and pay the whole of it big_smile

11. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years ago

Not even close to being able to live off my earnings, but I have been away for a long time, haven't written anything (until recently) in over a year.  Haven't been doing the things I need to to earn good money here, but starting to pick up the pace again.  Getting back into the swing of things, and seeing results little by little.  It is a lot of work, but the best work I could ever imagine doing!!!

1. ponx profile image79

I can understand that Anna....This does require a lot of commitment and time and patience I think....and I have to try and find time b/w my job and writing on HP...But I will keep trying smile...and all the best to you too!

12. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Live off my Adsense? No.

Off Adsense plus Chitika plus affiliate sales plus book sales plus other sales that come directly from web activity, almost.  Off all that plus a very little bit of other work, very definitely.

1. ponx profile image79

So it's mostly the web Pcunix smile. That's good.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is complicated.

I can definitely say that a third of my income is directly from my websites.  The rest is harder to pin down.

Example:

A long time customer was referred to me by someone else, but thought my rates were too high.  I did not hear from him again for months, but then he called me out of the blue.  He told me he kept finding my web pages when he was searching Google for answers to problems and that he now did want to contract with me. In the ensuing years, I have invoiced over $60,000 to his company for support services.

How do I credit that?  Other customers might have still given me that business if I just had a "business card" website, but they might not have.  How about referral business from someone who has been a regular reader for years?

A lot of new opportunity comes through that site, It is just hard to attribute it absolutely.

13. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

It depends how much work you put in to it.

You can make full time earnings off adsense, if you put the work in to it.  Using a mix of incomes is a better way to go though!

1. ponx profile image79

Yes thisisoli I agree with that...

14. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I am praying one day I will beable too!!!!!

1. ponx profile image79

Me too smile

15. Kidgas profile image64
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Maybe in a decade or two.

1. ponx profile image79

Kidgas, Maybe not live off it but I am sure you will enough to pay your bills smile, like a lot of the others.

16. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

I can pay some bills every month with what I get from Adsense here, and am planning on making a livable income with HubPages. I go through learning spurts and am working on learning more about backlinks now.
    BTW Misha- you are my HubPages hero!!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aww, thanks Dorsi, love ya too smile

Saleheen, it is not all from hubpages. In fact hubpages is a small part of it. What I make on HP is enough for a decent living in most parts of the world, I just happen to live in a place that is many times more expensive. smile

2. ponx profile image79

Misha I think I have to read much of hubs now smile.

17. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Just adsense no. But combined with my affiliate income,yes and quite well.

1. ponx profile image79

Nelle....That's great!

18. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 13 years ago

I make a full-time living online. If it was just Adsenes - I could live off it if I moved to a cheaper Asian country. Adsense plus affiliates - Im making about the avg wage of my country.

Its just hubpages though and I have multiple accounts here as well - oh and its not random. Learn how to pick keywords- write a lot of hubs, learn how to do backlinks - rinse and repeat.

Its not that difficult but most people quit before they have made enough effort to succeed

1. ponx profile image79

Lissie that does give me inspiration.I agree that its difficult to just make everything off just HP.

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its not even desirable ponx - you want to diversify your online income as much as possible :-)

19. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

I'm getting there, got my first Adsense cheque and am working towards the next

1. ponx profile image79

Good to hear that cindyvine.And best of luck for your next one!

20. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Its beginning to pick up - enough to pay a utility bill every couple of months.  Hope it keeps improving for all of us!

1. ponx profile image79

Thanks for your wishes CMHypno!

21. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

Guess it depends on much your living expenses are.  Some hubbers make thousands a month...and when I grow up I want to be just like them

1. ponx profile image79

I am a very very long way off from 1000's a month but I hope to make at least 50 a month for now.

1. xixi12 profile image70
        xixi12posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how do you do it. I have not even made anything since i started. I didnt even know you could make something. lol

22. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

Yes.

Although if I was a normal type person with wife, kids, mortgage, car payments, etc. probably not.  But it pays for my rent, food, beer, smoke, and the occasional holiday.

1. ponx profile image79

Good to hear that and all the best for more earnings to come!

23. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I can certainly see the snowballing of earnings happening. And I'm hoping to earn enough to stay home full time as a mum.

1. ponx profile image79

That's nice to hear Wrylit!All the best for more!

24. Evan Hutchinson profile image67
    Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years ago

I can pay my car payment with it, but my main career by far provides the meat of my income.

1. ponx profile image79

Well as of now my main income provides everything smile but hope so HP can help me earn the extra income!

25. Sunny Robinson profile image69
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

Ahh it would be nice to pay some bills with adsense, especially as I stay at home a lot.

Maybe even pay a vet cost for one of my dogs who needs to get his eye checked.

Yep, sure would be nice.  Lol.

1. ponx profile image79

smile

26. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

We are planning a holiday for mid next year and so every time we near the thresh hold, we move it a bit further away.

Keeps me motivated to chase a threshhold. We could probably pay a few bills, but this way works for us. Its more fun.

I wonder if any other hubbers are doing this. It also takes away the disappointment every time you check your earnings to see what youve done so far.

1. ponx profile image79

Chasing a threshold is a good thing to keep you motivated I think.All the best Dale!

27. MissE profile image76
    MissEposted 13 years ago

Hmmmmm..... in a card board box maybe.....

1. ponx profile image79

smile

28. Singular Investor profile image70
    Singular Investorposted 13 years ago

My earnings pay the rent but not the rest yet. It's all Adsense and 90% comes from blogs only around 10% from my 65 hubpages - I still find the click-through rates on my hubpages very low and getting 700 backlinks to one hubpage like one person does is very difficult if you are doing it all by hand !

1. ponx profile image79

Well then it seems like its a long way off for me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)