Another hubber called me an idiot- what????

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

Wow - I've never had this happen in the 2 years I've been here. Someone left a comment on one of my hubs - calling me an idiot and saying a bunch of hateful things....wow, don't know what to do except just ignore it I guess. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you respond? For the first time I'm denying the comment because it is so rude.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I had it happen once.  I was an idiot and even an enhanced idiot and one with clinical brain disabilities. Even the metric system was insulted in terms I won't repeat.

I basically thanked them  for their opinion and invited them to join HubPages. 

I thought the comment spoke a lot about the person who made it, and didn't mind leaving it up for that reason. (OH, and it was a humor piece.)

Others convinced me that I should delete it because of the vile language. I did remove it after a bit, since it did not add to the conversation.

1. Dorsi profile image88
        Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

an "enhanced idiot" Rochelle? Now that's just downright funny someone saying that to you!!!

Well I said "enhanced" because I didn't want to use the adjective that starts with f.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May I have the "clinical brain disabilities" that have contributed to your success here?  I think I could use a few.

well, again I was trying not to say a derogatory term for someone who is slow of wit.
          I appreciate your confidence. Apparently my detractor didn't catch any of my intended wit.

2. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Aye, Dorsi, there are always the butt's end out there!  I'm sorry that this happened to you -- you're an awesome writer!  I've had a few myself.  Some, I accepted and replied.  Others went to the Delete trash bin with a fleury of colorful words and a good hard hit to the button.  smile

The key is to let it go and not let it eat you up.  For every one rotten word left behind, there are at least a hundred good ones that left a smile on your face.  Hang on to these ones.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Dorsi, nice to see you, but under these circumstances isn't the greatest.

I've been called an idiot by other hubbers, some who have left comments on my hubs. I'm not surprised.

What's the title of the hub, so I can check it out. smile And, not the comment, but the hub itself.

1. Dorsi profile image88

It was on my sexy hot dog photos hub. If you remember I did a parody on sexy hubbers a couple years ago and it extended to cats and dogs...lol.
      And I deleted the offensive comment.
      I'm OK with it now because looking at the hubber I think the person seems very young, and it's just an immature comment.
      Sigh....

4. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Hey Dorsi.  This has not happened to me personally (though it's likely one day).  I've read about this happening on FB often and wonder if it's actually personal, or hate groupies?  Happening to sites/people who definitely don't attract it.

I'd report it and not respond/accept it on the hub.

5. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

I've had this happen once or twice.  It sucks, especially deciding whether or not to publish the comment and respond.  If they called you an idiot, I'm sure if you publish it, it'll be clear to all that they're the one in the wrong.

6. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry you had this happen to you Dorsi.  Deleting it without responding to it is the best option.  You may consider reporting them to HubPages staff.  It is not in the best interest of the HP Community for a fellow hubber to go around leaving hateful comments.  It's entirely up to you though.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Mine was from outside HubPages-- so no big deal, I think I would ask the staff opinion if it was another hubber.

8. Nell Rose profile image92
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

Hi, funnily enough this happened to me today again, just for a change! ha ha the reason I laugh is the fact that I got quite, and this is my word I made up, ummoxed! the point was that it suddenly dawned on me like a light coming on, was the fact that I would not talk to someone in real life if they spoke to me like that, so why do it on here? So I said, all feathers getting huffed, 'If you want to comment and give suggestions, can you PLEASE do it in a well mannered way? I am open to suggestions if you have a good idea on how to make this hub better quality, so if you want to add anything, come back and give me good suggestions, there is no harm in having good manners! ha got him! I think........

9. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

Beth100) Thanks for the encouragement. Right after I read that comment I read another one on my hub from a young buy thanking me for my info on concussions. That made me beam to know that I helped someone!!!
    Nell) lol love that word "unmoxed". ROTFL!!! Good for you!
    Rochelle) I'm thinking about reporting them. It was totally unprofessional. Pondering.....
    KCC) Yes I deleted it forever. I was going to respond and then thought no...
    Benjimeister) If I would have published it they would have looked pretty dumb for sure. It was very immature.
    Jewels) I'm thinking about reporting it because I am concerned they might be doing this to other hubbers. I have a big backbone, so I'm gonna let it slide right off me but for a fledgling writer it could damage their self esteem. Very inappropriate.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is the second time I have heard this happen to a hubber. As Rochelle says it just speaks about the kind of people they are. Yes you should report this, I wonder how brilliant  this hubbers hubs are, must be a genius to go around calling others idiots.
      Sorry though that it had to happen to you.  sad

1. Dorsi profile image88

I permanently deleted the comment. I wonder if HubPages can still see it? I looked at the persons hubtivity and didn't see any pattern of abuse so I guess she picked me out.
        Umm let me see, they attacked me by name, made fun of me personally and also said I was a dummy and my work was "substandard". Ok so I got it all out now....that was really below the belt!!!!!Grrr!!!!

10. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I've had this happen before. I got slammed pretty bad on my How to Survive a Polish Wedding hub. It was from a non-hubber. I read it & laughed. I left it on there. I think it's hilarious that somebody was so critical. Ha!  Of course, I left my rebuttal with tact & dignity. hehehe.

Perfect. I mentioned my critic's command of language, as well.

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I've got one word for people that react with anger towards someone else's hub or post - INSECURE.
    Dorsi, anyone who is that insecure that they feel the need to shout how much they dislike what you have to say, it's underneath you. Don't even give it a second thought. There are a lot of insecure and envious people out there. It's all on them, not you. smile

12. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Dorsi;

I'm sorry someone doesn't know online etiquette.I've had young   middle school and high school kids leave awful comments on a few of my hubs. The hubs had to do with school age issues and i guess they thought I was  being unfair. I now require registered hubbers on those hubs,so it's helped.
    wink

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I have two or three things online (one in particular) that attracts all kinds of real nastiness.  lol    It's always the same thing:  they read into the thing what I never even said or implied.  I don't mind pleading guilty to bad writing, I guess; but it irks me that they make up what they think I "must think" or "am".

As far as I've noticed, it's been non-Hubbers who do those nutty attacks.  As long as they don't have anything crude in them I post them with my reply (if I'm in a good enough mood to be bothered).  Sometimes I've deleted them.  There haven't been all that many,  there have been enough to "inspire" me to write an "if-the-shoe-fits" Hub "at" anyone who makes those kinds of comments, and anyone who thinks about making them.  lol  (Usually, when I reply, I'll be "professional" about replying.  Writing what I'd really like to say made me feel good.   smile  (Maybe someone needs to start a Hub group for people, centered around, "What online writers would like to say to you jerks who can't disagree without being a major moron."   smile

14. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I learned to always set all my comment blocks to "moderate" because of such foolishness, although, I have left negative remarks because they expressed a valid opinion, or made me laugh.

The nasty, or abusive comments, especially if they contained foul language, I reported to HP staff, and eventually deleted. I think they can see deleted comments - I know they can "re-animate" deleted hubs if the mistaken deletion is reported right away.

As well, when anything abusive or SPAM pops up in comments or hubs or forums, please report it to HubPages staff. They appreciate our taking the initiative to help them out.

15. A la carte profile image62
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Disagreeing is one thing..resorting to invective and personal abuse is the product of a limited mind and therefore this place is probably unsuited to them. Red Elf I think you did the best thing and you have my well wishes for what they are worth.

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Isn't Fun Dorsi? hmm
    I can't help but look at the quality of the grammer.. before I take a screenshot, save it with it's IP# and press the NUKE button smile
    I get a few jerky remarks from Bumbletonians who don't like their dirty business spread on the net like marg lol
    What they don't realise is that most of them are trackable!

Always Remember (Sorry Rochelle): No Matter What.... Never Ever Admit to being An Idiot!!.. As Writers we are Entitled to Far Better Abuse Than That.. from Wuckfits! lol

17. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I've had all sorts of weird comments, just take
    Them on the chin. The beauty of the comments systen
    Is that you always have control. You can completely
    Own the abuser in a response, making them look like
    A complete tool... And then delete their replies...
    "Idiot" is a tame one for me!

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I allow most comments on my hubs, as even the abusive ones can be shown for what they are with their own words. I then usually have the option of a good laugh at their expense in my reply. smile
    I should add that only one of my hubs has such replies.

The religious one of course! smile

19. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I had another comment on a hub that I eventually took down. The comment made sense, yet had an air of "shame & blame" preachy-ness that gave me a vision of this hubber standing in front of a classroom of dolts, holding a yardstick of correction for the world, while he pointed at the accused student; me. This is only one sentence in the very long comment:

"....Cutting lose with sarcastic remarks and what ever simply because it makes us 'feel better?' So does defecation, but would you really do that in public as well?"

The whole comment was shaming, but this one part stood out. There was a message in the comment, the hubber "meant well" but it should have been used in a hub, not a "your'e a bad girl" accusation.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)