The Wisdom of Carl Jung

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I thought I'd share some words of the famed Swiss psychologist:

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves."

Perhaps I should have posted this in the political or religious forums??

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no no, this forum is good enough to post it, no more religious posts. lol lol

What you have shared is very important to realize but we hardly care and at the end of the day we keep blaming to each other.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a wonderful quote, and so true.  But before posting it there, I recommend that you put on an asbestos suit.

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

smilesmile

3. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So does the fact that you have never irritated me mean that I can learn nothing from you?

Seems wrong to me smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, we can learn from anyone or anything.

what he is referring to his philosophy of the shadow self, the duality of man.
        you can find much of his teaching online or find a decent book at the library. he's worth reading.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pcunix - the concepts are not mutually exclusive.

1. Pcunix profile image90

Did anyone notice the smile

?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
            couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, pc.  I tend to take everything literally.

4. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it's very true. I studied him while in school and find his work very helpful.

to put that same thought in Will Rogers speak, "let's be honest with ourselves, and not take ourselves too serious, and never condemn the other fellow for doing what we are doing every day, only in a different way."

there's a good book discussing his principles, Jung to Live by by Eugene Pascal

5. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I definitely agree with that theory smile

6. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It only works if a person can also be honest with themselves.

7. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true Lorlie.  It's often a shock to realize that Jung is right, (I believe) but often, I just want to ignore this truism!  lol

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that truisms come in handy from time to time! smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

There's an old saying, which I can't quite recall, but it goes something like: "The biggest troublemaker in your life is staring at you in the mirror."

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.
    C. Jung

4. Seafarer Mama profile image78
    Seafarer Mamaposted 13 years ago

Thank you for starting this discusstion. I have enjoyed reading the responses of everyone who has taken the time to ponder this thought.

I agree with the importance of accepting the shadow side of our own personalities, and those of others. We need the shadow. I love to look at my dreams. They say so much about how we truly feel about our lives and relationships. Carl Jung's writing about the subject is timeless, and his wisdom informs the most creative minds of today. Look up the work of Eric Maisel, a creativity consultant/life coach.

If one does not like to have any relationship with any religion, we cannot deny the spiritual nature of all the ways in which we are connected with others. There is wisdom in all the various cultural and spiritual traditions of the world, and Jung's writing spoke to that.

1. Pcunix profile image90

I can and do deny any 'spiritual" nonsense, sorry.

There is nothing spiritual about any of this.

2. profile image0
      Germaine Reillyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it's important to make friends with your shadow and work towards integrating that part of yourself.

Didn't Jung also say that those who feature in your dreams can represent parts of our own personality? I think this makes absolute sense, since we may be inclined to disown certain feelings if they sit uncomfortably with us, giving them (at least unconsciously) to another person allows us to distance ourselves from such feelings.

5. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Understanding "is not moved into action by any incidental cause, but by the removal of obstacles."  Because of the magnetic qualities of habitual mental patterns and memory, a relationship of cause and effect clings even though there may be a change of embodiment by class, space and time.  The desire to control and subjugate (to be right) comes from the "I" or "das ich", the ego.  So the concepts of learning from others, or learning from our mistakes, or disliking in others what we dislike most in ourselves, is only relevant if we are open to removing obstacles to self awareness and examination.

6. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Just a side note but Socrates is often called the father of Philosophy...is it not amazing that he did not write a single word about the subject during his life. I find that incredible.

To get back to the quote..I think it is a terrific one filled with layers of insight in a few words.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A la carte, I love your avatar. big_smile

7. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

I always was partial to Jung, myself.  Preferred his work over Freud's ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)