Christchurch - New Zealand Shattered by 7.1 Earthquake - 9 hours ago.

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Pearldiver profile image65
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

The CBD of Christchurch; the 2nd biggest NZ city was devastated by a 7.1 RS quake early this morning at 4.35am NZT. Only 2 people were injured - however buildings and infrasructure were severely damaged.
    The Epicentre was close to the rural town of Darfield which is approx. 40klms from Christchurch CBD. No Sheep or Dairy Cows were injured either smile

Christchurch is the Tourism Entranceway to NZ's South Island.
    On News programs that show this event...
    You will see interviews with a number of Kiwis (NZ people) in which many appear to joking about and laughing about this.
    So that you understand us as people... please do not see that as a negative thing! We as people find internal strength by looking at and relating to the Funny Sides of major events.. in this way we accomplish Positive things and do not sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. That is something that makes Kiwis Kiwis.. Aussis are the same...

Everyone is OK... Everything is Broken... But it's Just Like Camping! Thanks to all the civil defence services staff and contractors..

1. bayoulady profile image69
      bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good news about no major injuries,pearldiver. Admire the tuff attitude of the NZs and Aussies.

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just saw this on the news a bit ago and Im glad everyone is ok. Thanks for letting us know.

2. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Good luck to everyone there and I hope things get back to normal soon -

that wasn't you bad'uns getting a good shaking from god was it ?  big_smile

1. StuartJ profile image69
      StuartJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wondered about that -- but why not Auckland or Sydney? ;-)

3. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Shaky times Pearldiver. Glad the casualties are few.  Christchurch is a lovely city, there must be some very disappointed people at the moment, but I so relate to how people just get on and fix it when it's broke.

We are in the midst of floods at the moment. Not that we Australians are complaining, the drought is breaking nicely.  In my neck of the woods it's been raining heavily for the last 5 hours and our rivers are already full.  We've had the Government recorded phone call of alarm, making is aware and ready to move if needed.

There is excitement and a fantastic preparedness to help if needed.

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that Christchurch was particularly hard hit, but I know that the people will rally.  Carry on!

5. Pearldiver profile image65

lol AP ... Maybe Maybe Not... it was a nice city 'Christ Church'.. I would've expected the 'big guy' to have picked on Wellington where the politicians are..

@ Jewels.. I didn't know that.. good luck mate... hope you are OK.
    So.. No Waves Worth Surfing Yet?? hmm

@ Bayoulady ... Thanks but in the end I'm sure that when the dust settles in most places though... many are like that. Maybe Down here we just roll up our sleeves first hmm

@ Flightkeeper.. Thanks for that smile
    Yep.. they are remarkably well organized.. but clearing the place of people helped.

This is a Huge Event for NZ... If I disappear from here.. I'll off down there to swing a hammer.

1. Tusitala Tom profile image65
      Tusitala Tomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

APs got it right, Wellington is where I wouldn't have expected the next big 'un to be.   Maybe the 'Man upstairs' thinks that city already gets enough punishment with the shocking weather they have there

Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah... Of course lol Sideways Rain and an Air-Brakes Testing Strip lol
        Touche mate... smile

6. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

Has anyone heard from Lissie? Doesn't she live in New Zealand?

No... She Lives in Perth - Western Australia - she's the Farthest Aussi away as the crow flys!

But yes Lissie did once live here. smile

1. Dorsi profile image87
        Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for letting me know. I found out she also wrote a hub about the quake - so how are you doing?

I'm in the North Island and it didn't affect us...
          But we all have family or friends down there or have friends here that do. It's a small country that always unites at times like this. We'll be ok.
          Thanks for asking Dorsi smile

2. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah she moved back for the awesome weather in Wellington (sarcasm off!). But I do now live in Wellington (for the moment) Got to laugh though I found out about Christchurch cause Hospitalera was on Skype asking if I was OK and  plenty of Americans were concerened too - while I off course was sound asleep!

@CkhoffmanK - the currentcall on the quake is 7.1 centered 10km down and about 25km west of the city (nearest town Darfield). It does actually take a few hours for the geos to come up with the definitive answer - but this is it I think now (you can check with the official link on my hub).

Interestingly the quake was actually slightly stronger and slightly shallower than Haiti's - its all about the building standards at the end of the day and I am happy to live in a country with excellent building code even if it is all a potential earthquake zone.

Well Welcome Home Lissie!! smile

You could have hitched a ride with those MPs that flew down to help and to make sure that their seats are safe for the upcoming elections lol

Had to laugh though - the main ITM Rugby Game today was BOP vs Canterbury.. And No one missed the game smile

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I heard the news and rang a few NZ friends This was a really big one!
    I'm very relieved that there were so few injuries, although that is little compensation for those hurt, and knowing how NZ people are, they will have it rebuilt as soon as possible.
    Good luck me brave mates!

Two of my best employees were from NZ and I think of NZers as brothers.

You think of Kiwis as brothers? smile So you should mate - and visa versa... after Galipoli I think that was forged for time. Apparently the Aussi builders will all have the opportunity of an all expenses paid trip to ChCh.. according to the civil defence boys.... they are so on to it. smile

Yep it was a big one.. it hasn't been a good day in the South Island mate...
      A Sky Diving plane crashed at Fox Glacier also... killing 9.. including an Aussi brother sad

8. CkhoffmanK profile image80
    CkhoffmanKposted 13 years ago

I hubbed about that a few hours ago.

too many sources say something diff about the magnitude though

it all falls between 7.1 and 7.5

It was 7.1.

The first reports claimed 7.5.

There have been over 20 after shocks since above 4.0

1. Ivorwen profile image67
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad you and others are okay, even those after shocks can be damaging.  sad

9. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

Serious?  Hope those lovely old buildings are okay!

No Cindy... Many of them have been wrecked sad

But Canterbury beat Bay of Plenty in the rugby lol

10. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

I read about this in the newspaper. There seems to be a lot of building damage in the area. But reports are that no one has been killed, which is great news. I hope those that are hurt are on the mend soon.

Lissie, I remembered you saying somewhere that you moved back to NZ. Glad you weren't in the area. Did you feel it at all? I heard news that the quake was felt on the North Island. I remember we felt the Newcastle earthquake in Sydney, and it was only a 5.2. The distance between Christchurch and Wellington is only about twice that between Sydney and Newcastle.

1. profile image0
      RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember the Newcastle quake.

I was living in the Hunter at the time. Bizarre thing was my brother and I were watching Demolition Man on the tv at the time.
      Right when they blew up the building in the movie our house started shaking....it was the craziest timing!

Glad to hear there were no major casualties and knowing Aussies and Kiwis Christchurch will be rebuilt in no time, stronger than before.

Take care down there.

1. profile image0
        Hovalisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I originally hail from the Hunter, (Cessnock & then Singleton) and I remember the frantic phone calls to relatives in New Lambton, who we got through to easily, and then Singleton, only to find the phones down there -- go figure. The power in Singleton went out as a result of the quake, and the phone exchange went down for a while.

My sister was at work in the QVB in Sydney at the time, that's how I know they felt it. It set the chandeliers swaying, and they thought there was a crash in Town Hall station! I was on the North Coast in Kempsey, and the power went out at the time of the quake. We didn't hear what had happened until the midday news on the radio, when we were heading back to our camp at Crescent Head.

Just remembering the chaos that was brought about by that admittedly smaller size quake here, makes me feel for the people of Christchurch, and the surrounding areas. I hope that the searches they are doing bring no unpleasant surprises.

1. profile image0
          RFoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Such a small world!

I did my final four years of high school in Cessnock.
          My parents still live in Branxton.

Yes, I remember the chaos too. Hope Christchurch will be okay.

1. profile image0
            Hovalisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It really is a tiny planet! I was born in Cessnock, and went to Infants and Primary in West Cessnock before moving to Singleton just in time for High School. I moved to Sydney after the HSC in order to get a job. You know how it goes. Branxton really is between the two. I knew a lot of people who got on the Branxton bus to go home, including one of my friends. smile

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah didn't feel a thing - but it would require quite a close earthquake to wake me up at 4:30am! I don't think it was felt here though - though all the way south to Invercargil apparently.

There have been major aftershocks - most 4.0 or above - there was a good one on TV news as they were reporting live - which was 10 hours afterwards - so those will probably go on for weeks - which could well be the time it takes to sort out the water and the sewerage as well.

The power seems to be pretty good and the ph system has held up pretty well too - though some of the cell ph towers may start failing soon as the batteries run out.

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Glad you guys appeared to be prepared to that kind of stuff. Good luck restoring the place! smile

12. Pearldiver profile image65

Hi Hovalis, only two of the injuries were 'really serious' but what has happenened as the day has progressed, is that several people who have been shocked and travelling on adrenelin are starting to suffer heart problems.
    That is a common thing in such events.
    Plus the entire area has not been completely searched yet... so hopefully everyone has been accounted for. smile

@ Hi Misha.. thanks mate smile
    Last year NZers were pretty much completely caught up with rebuilding Samoa after the tsunami wiped them out.

Well practically all of NZ except BumbleTown is on the FaultLine... So I guess I'll be making a fair few coffees on 12/21/2012.. lol

13. CMHypno profile image81
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Glad that there were only a couple of injuries.  Christchurch is a beautiful city, so I hope that not too many of the lovely buildings have been wrecked beyond repair.

Did they say whether there was a chance of any afters-shocks?

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Real glad that with a eathquake of that magnitude there are only two casualities. Glad to hear that the hubber community there is safe too!

14. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

It is quite amazing looking at the damage that there were only 2 seriously injured.  My best wishes to those affected.

It is good that the Kiwis approach life with a sense of humor.  It is one of the better defense mechanisms psychologically.

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Gives Rock and Roll a whole new meaning that I hope to never live through. Best to you all down there mate.

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

thanks for letting us know you're all ok. I saw it yesterday on the news and thought of all of you Kiwis. glad to hear there were only the 2 seriously injured. I guess everyone was home sleeping?

sometimes laughter is the best antidote. a healthy sense of 'it is what it is.'
    smile

17. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all the updates, and I'm glad the injury list has been small thus far.  Hopefully everyone and everything will get fixed up quick.

Pearldiver - Funny you felt you had to explain the "laugh it off" attitude! I hope no one would get upset at that.  Maybe I should have been born in NZ, my sarcasm/make-a-joke-of-it defense mechanisms get me in all kinds of trouble here in the U.S.  roll lol

18. Pearldiver profile image65

Hi Everyone.... Thanks for your Best Wishes smile

Rock n Roll alright..... we've got some new excellent W Shapes on our Railway Lines Though...

And a few old timers who rolled out of bed early in the morning, ran outside and went back inside afterwards but couldn't find their teeth lol

Two of them got arrested for Looting when they were found inside a shop that sold novelty vampire teeth... but later escaped after spraying the police while attempting to give false names yikes

Yep... Same Here TS. lol

19. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

Man, 7.1 is huge.  That's pretty amazing and fortunate that no one was killed.  You guys must have some pretty epic engineering.  Thanks for the message.  We're wishing everyone the best.

20. clintonb profile image60
    clintonbposted 13 years ago

My thoughts and best wishes go out to all who have been affectted by the earthquakes in NZ. Wishing for a speedy rebuilding of the area.

21. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

Wish the best to those in NZ...I'm travelling right now...caught the news!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)