What is with this 'Twilight' thing?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Proud Mom profile image59
    Proud Momposted 15 years ago

We put my daughter in public school recently only to find out about this Twilight craze.  Apparenly, kids are thinking they are vampires and biting unsuspecting kids on the neck!!  I just don't understand!

1. sassychic profile image61
      sassychicposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Honestly they are doing that?
      I have read almost all the books. There cute for a young to middle teenage girl. But kids biting eachother? that's outta hand! what the heck?

I personally liket he books and all but what grade is your daughter or son in?

2. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

That is nuts!!! To many vampire movies and games , good grief maybe technology is moving to far over the edge.smile If our son tried that he would be in so much trouble, I don't think he would ever be un-grounded.smile

3. Proud Mom profile image59

Do you know anything about the craze?  I was blind-sighted!!

1. BDazzler profile image77
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK, more seriously ... there is a sub-culture that embraces, role-plays etc. the entire vampire horror genre.  Depending on the the individuals involved it can range from harmless game of "let's pretend" to a full embrace of believing oneself to be a supernatural creature of the night.

Proud Momposted 15 years agoin reply to this

e

What would be some clues that a kid is beyond pretending?

1. ajcor profile image60
          ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Many moons ago my neice went through this ugly goth thing where she started living in her bedroom, painting her face white and her brown hair bwas dyed black, she was almost a loner except for her fellow goths at school - but eventually she grew out of it and is now the proud mother of a little girl and living a normal life....must say that  the biting thing sounds worrying with it's potential for the transfer of disease.

4. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 15 years ago

Vampires suck!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"Do you know anything about the craze?  I was blind-sighted!!"

Junior high and middle school kids sometimes became enamored of vampires as well in the 1950s - 1970s, but there were fewer media to reinforce the phenomenon. After Hammer Films got involved, there was more. Then the vampire novelists emerged and Anne Rice and others made it more popular. And some goths went over to vampire obsession, etc. etc. on to Twilight.

I think it has to do with puberty and the sexuality that young people have nowhere to put.

Goth has been a real problem around here.  The schools are trying to crack down on it, but it's getting beyond "a distraction" and actually causing harm.  I guess this would be one more step in the wrong direction?

Are the Twilight books sexual?  I'm going to have to do some research here.

Nos Feratu and Dracula, some of the originals, were extremely sexual figures and sex never had to be mentioned. The bite was/is sexual, powerful, sexual-power, as well as vampire's nourishment.

So in your opinion, Patty--is this out of hand?

Biting someone on the neck, an erogenous zone, is always out of hand, unless it is between consenting adults. But if Twilight is lighter fantasy and kids are simply pretending, then ignoring it may be best - until a mark is left or blood is drawn.

What would be the best way to figure out if it's a reality thing or pretend for them?  BTW--one of these "biters" is also asking other kids to bring her ammunition for a gun.  I just have to think this is all drama.  But I'd hate to have to live with the consequences if it wasn't.

A GUN?!  Call the kid's parents and the school principal.

Pretending or not? - you'd have to see them interact and note whether it was light banter behavior or abusive, or sexual, or exploratory, or just what.

How old are thse young people?

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Wow, biting each other?  Kids can be pretty cruel though and I was teased for not following many trends back in the eighties and early nineties.  For instance, my parents never saw the point of paying 100 dollars for a pair of brand name tennis shows such as LA Gear, so many kids would tease me about that.  The teasing got pretty bad, but then around 1990 there was a news event where a boy killed another boy over his brand name shoes and jacket.

After that event our teacher started informing the students about the ridiculous obsessions regarding brand name foot wear and designer names.  I think after that some of the students started to realize how ridiculous it was to tease others who do not wear expensive designer labels. Ironically, by the time we got to high school many of these same students were into going to second hand stores and creating vintage outfits. 

Maybe you can talk to the principal or the teacher at your school if the biting thing becomes an issue there so they can talk about it.  The book Twilight is good because it is encouraging young people to read, but education about boundaries and not biting people would be helpful.  I hope the biting is just an isolated event.

I read a poem on Russ Baleson's hub that I loved.  One of the lines said something about standing apart from the world and wondering if the world is standing apart from you.  Isn't that beautiful?  Kids can be cruel, can't they?  I'm sorry about your experience!

We don't allow our kids any reading (or watching for that matter) about anything having to do with witchcraft.  As the adult, I try very hard to stay informed on such things, but this one caught me off guard.  There are so many great books out there, I'm disappointed that it takes one of this magnitude to get them to read.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Personally I just have no interest in the Twilight series because I think it is boring.  I have just heard from so many kids and parents say it gets their kids to read, so in their cases it might be good.  However, I do understand not wanting your kids to read this book if you find the material objectionable.  Personally I just think stories about vampires are boring and I would rather read historical fiction or something more endearing.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

A little of kilter here tongue lol ...when I was a teenager once upon a time ..if I got in trouble or doing that teenager *babbling* thing we do.... my mom would sit me down with a book and I would have to read for a minimum of a hour straight, lol ...l would end up spending the rest of the day... off somewhere, reading lol I go hooked on reading. smile Oh..and this *Twilight* thing..yeah...it is just a fad ...and will most likely pass in time though the biting thing is strange tongue

7. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Get them to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series by Joss Whedon)-- not only does it make the vampires out to be immature and cruel, it also pokes fun at any pretentious high school behavior and encourages kids to research materials rather than rely on hearsay.  The Goth kids in Buffy are always shown to be silly, too.

It's even a funny show.

You make a good point!

I agree!!

8. Proud Mom profile image59

You had a good mom, dame!!

9. Proud Mom profile image59

Not only am I concerned about the behavioral ramifications with this, but transferring bodily fluids in this manner is dangerous!  She knows not to share drinks, "swap spit", or do the "blood sisters" thing that we used to do as kids.  But how do you tell her to watch out behind her for fangs to the neck?????

10. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

They're not sexual until the fourth book - in fact, there's a very strong abstinence message through the whole series and Edward and Bella both remain virgins until they get married.

Other than the people who don't want their kids reading books with any supernatural elements whatsoever, the loudest objections to the Twilight series I'm familiar with actually come from feminists, because Edward is a classic stalker personality and Bella starts begging him to turn her into a vampire so they can be together forever roughly three weeks after they meet. tongue

I agree with Theresa. Buffy is better on virtually every level than Twilight, so it makes me kind of sad that Twilight is a much bigger craze. I'm taking some hope from the fact that a lot of the girls I know who are obsessed with Twilight have had their interest piqued in Bella's favorite books as well. Since these include Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, etc. one can only hope that when they meet Mr. Darcy they'll recognize him for the real romantic hero that he is, and forget about the stupid sparkly vampire. big_smile

Interesting, kerry.  Have you read them all?

11. kerryg profile image83

Only the first, but I've read detailed recaps of the other three and follow the fandom closely because I think it's hilarious.

I have a hub about the Twilight phenomenon, but am not sure how useful you would find it, since it focuses more on Twilight haters than Twilight lovers.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And I'm off to read it.

I haven't read the books but I saw the movie and talk about a bore-fest.

Most boring vampire movie ever.

And not just because I'm a guy, my wife thought it was worse than I did.

2. Proud Mom profile image59

I think I'll go check it out!

1. Pest profile image78
        Pestposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am following PM...PM!  change your avatar!!!  That baby is too damn cute!

Can't help you out on that one, Pest.  Sorry.... sad

12. kerryg profile image83

My guess would be that the biting is probably just joking around (though definitely ask your daughter to let you know if she sees ANY indication that it's something more serious or inappropriate), but I would definitely talk to someone in authority about the gun!

13. r2punks profile image59
    r2punksposted 15 years ago

i think it's like another harry potter only it is more romantic based and the audience is more toward teenage girls rather than kids. I observed teenage girls have huge spending powers, see for example the album sales of Britney spears and Beyonce. It's a younger audience either way and they will tend to imitate the characters/idols more easily.

14. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

Any True Blood watchers?

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes! I've never read the books, but my husband and I enjoyed the show a lot.

I devoutly hope no 5th and 6th graders are watching it, though!

1. RKHenry profile image63
        RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I hope not.

My nose is always in my classes and studies.  Books?  True Blood is based off books?

1. kerryg profile image83
          kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yup, the Southern Vampire Mysteries, by Charlaine Harris. I hear somewhat mixed reviews of them, which is a big part of why I haven't got around to reading them yet. With a 2 year old running around underfoot, I read almost entirely nonfiction these days - much easier to put down and pick up - so I count myself lucky to read one novel a month and want to spend it on something I know I'll like.

1. RKHenry profile image63
            RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanx for the info.  No two year olds around here in my neck of the woods.  Thankful too. [Smiles]  I haven't figured out how to post happy faces yet. [sad face]

Im diggin this place.  Thanx.

15. sassychic profile image61
    sassychicposted 15 years ago

Hey one thing I want to point out. Yes children should not be biting in school our any of that sort. If the child has ADD, ADHD, Asbergers, DOWNSyndrome, Autism, Kabuchy Syndrome they may communitcate different ways and not understand the consequences of there actions as recognizable as others. In this case scenario it seems as if there's none of that stuff included. BUT however the case please dont judge a child if they have these differences. They are human too and deserved the best.

If you guys are interested in learning more about Autism read my hubs! I work with children that have these disabilities and have a strong background about these behaviors and such!

Now secondly yes even if a child is talking about a gun jokingly or not, they should have positive reinforcment put upon them. At an age like that it's not a joke at all and should be taken seriously or under further direction.

Lastly this is so weird! A funny fictional novel series can get this twisted outta had?
    Werid!

16. gwendymom profile image67
    gwendymomposted 15 years ago

PM, I have read all of the books in the twilight series and I love them. These books are meant for teen readers. There is no sex in the series until the fourth book after (SPOILER ALERT) Bella and Edward get married. The books are not violent in nature, in my opinion. I would compare them to the Harry Potter books. Books of fantasy. The kid that is biting other kids is probably playing, but I would first tell your daughter to ask the child to stop  and then either talk to the parents of this child or the school principal. I hope everything works out.

17. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

For those who don't want their kids to watch this movie, I noticed last night that it is on Direct TV's PPV.  Starting on channel 125.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)