Have you seen these numbers for Palin??

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Less than half of the Repubs polled by CNN said they might support Palin in 2012. 59% said they might support Romney, and the winner was Huckabee, with 67%

So now that these numbers are out, the far-right blogosphere is attacking the Huck, saying he's not conservative enough. I say good - we need a moderate to run! He'll never get the nomination, though - he doesn't have the money or the backing from big business. It will prolly go to the Romster.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"we need a moderate to run!"

No we don't we need the moderates to go away.

This past election is proof that a majority of U.S. citizens do not have moderate views.

It wasn't a sign that we want to get along with Democrats.

It was a clear signal that we want conservative leadership.

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jim Hunter is not only against moderates running - he claims the last election is 'proof' that his views represent the majority view. Look at the evidence, though.

In Alaska, Lisa Murcowski was certified as the winner in the US Senate race. She was beaten by the tea party conservative Joe Miller, and ran as an independent in a very conservative state and won.

Harry Reid continues to be unpopular in Nevada. Had the GOP run a moderate , Harry would have lost by double-digits. The tea party candidate was MORE repulsive to voters than Harry was and he won.

My views are more liberal than average, but I know it. The actual views of many Americans on specific issues are more liberal than they know, even though they  may identify themselves as  'conservative' in a poll.

2. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. The last election was a protest vote - the Dems had gone too far to the left. True, this is a slightly center-right nation - SLIGHTLY. Not far right. It seems that a moderate could bring both sides together.

Jim, who do you like for 2012? Yes, I know it's early, but I'm just wondering who you'd like to see run.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

P.S. - Hitler is not eligible this time.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
            BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know, when you use the owrds "Hitler" or "Nazi", pretty much all of your debate credibility has left the building.....

3. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the last election was a rejection of Congress and run away spending. Thats it. It was not a vote of confidence for the GOP or Conservatives in general.

4. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once again, spot-on, Jim.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

This sounds awful, but as long as that circus side-show disappears from the scene I almost don't care who gets it.  hmm  I agree, though - a move toward the center would be a good thing.

3. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

If Sarah Palin gets the nomination we are guaranteed another four years of The Community Organizer In Chief.

Never mind the fact that she was more qualified than Obama in every possible way, but the media (helped in no large part by Palin herself) managed to successfully frame her as an idiot.

And resigning midway through her term as governor didn't help.  If you can't take heat on that level, what makes you think you are qualified to take it on a Presidential level?

4. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

I might consider voting for Huck. Not Romney. Certainly not Palin. Still would like to see Paul get one shot at it. I really think he would be able to clean up a lot of the fiscal mess in the Federal Government.

I don't think this is the big story though. I think the possibility of Hillary running is the biggest story. I think if she does, she wins hands down.

It's odd, at first the idea of Hillary as President sickened me, but after two years of The Community Organizer's incompetence, she's starting to look more and more attractive.

And I mean politically attractive.....physically, she still looks like the rear end of a Mack truck.....

1. profile image56

I feel the same way...it's definitely weird! I didn't vote for Bill and I believe he's better than she is. But now.....

2. habee profile image92

Funny, I used to feel kinda the same way about Hil, but my best friend is a HUGE Hillary supporter, so I've learned more about Mrs. Clinton. I don't agree with all of her views, but I've never found a candidate I agree with 100%. I think she'd be a strong leader and could perhaps heal some of the divisiveness in the country. And we'd get Bill for free! lol

Hil should run, with Powell as VP!!

2. habee profile image92

Think Hil might really run? I could support her - depending on who the Rs run. I don't really know enough about Paul. I remember being impressed with him in the debates, but do you think his age will be a factor?

Oh, there is no way I would vote for her, but I wouldn't have the same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach if she were to win (like I did the morning after Obama's victory)

But remember, the GOP is unmatched in it's talent for putting up the worst possible candidates.  Twice they felt it necessary to run a grumpy, broken down old man against a younger, charming, and charismatic Dem opponent. (Dole/Clinton, McCain/Obama).

That said, despite Obama's offering up 2012 on a silver platter for the taking, I'm not convinced the GOP can pull it off....

1. profile image56

I feel the same way. The GOP is more than capable of giving it away again.

2. profile image56

Yes, I do. My only problem is that she WANTS it so bad. Kinda like McCain. I'm suspicious of any candidate that wants the presidency sooo bad.

3. profile image56

Paul's age is a factor. The same can be said of Hillary. If she doesn't run in 2012, she will be 70 the next time.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I've discussed this with others.

Palin can't win as a Republican. She just can't.

Who are "generally" Republican? Conservatives.

Do you think that Conservatives would EVER elect a female president? of course not. That's, like, one of "the" definitions of conservative: not changing the norm.

So the very party that she wants to win with is inherently biased against her.

plus she's an idiot.

1. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you think Margaret Thatcher had a chance before she became PM?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First off, I'm all for a woman president - so long as she's an Anarchist.

Second off - "Britain Conservative" and "American Conservative" are quite a bit different. I'm not fully versed in BC, but from what I got off of Wikipedia, they aren't the same as AC.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is very true. the first female president will not be SP, even thinking republicans realize that just isn't going to happen. 

she's lost popularity because she simply isn't genuine.

republicans now have their hands full trying to figure out what their party stands for and what direction they need to focus on. I think they'll go more 'moderate' than far right possibly straying away from the stodgy, old guys.

Oh, I think she's genuine, which is the problem.  She was woefully unprepared to be thrust into a national spotlight, and quitting her governorship halfway through hands any future opponent a straight line to tear her apart....

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nah, she's not genuine and she's woefully unqualified.
          do people really want a reality star as a presidential candidate? lol, is that the mentality of the republican base? I don't think so.

1. adminassistant profile image54
            adminassistantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Eh, Ronald Regan was an actor.  So was Ahhhhhhhnold...

6. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

Keep an eye on Donald Trump?

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Hi, RB! I've heard that, too. At least he wouldn't have to worry about campaign financing! lol

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not think Donald Trump would need a dime donated to his campaign.  Even though I think millions of people would contribute.

1. habee profile image92

True dat!

8. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I like Sarah for many reasons.  But she should not run for president. 
    We need an administrator to straighten things out.  Someone who knows business and how insiders work.  Someone with connections so as to have some credibility.  Someone more concerned with the economy than a social agenda.  We need people back to work and a lot of the social issues will take care of themselves.  We need someone who is smart enough to let the military take care of the wars, so we can get troops back home, but still be protected.
    Who?

9. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

She can run Snooki as VP.

Sure to garner a lot of votes!!

Once they're in, PNAC runs things as always.

10. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 13 years ago

Mrs Thatcher won the Tory leadership because she was the only Tory man enough to stand against Heath, the then party leader. She won the General Election later because Labour lost it.

There is no reason why a woman cannot be President of the USA. You just need a woman of courage and integrity who gives good sound bites. I think it was a female Mayor of Ottowa who said

"For a woman to succeed in politics she has to be twice as good as any man. Fortunately that's not difficult."

11. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised to see Huck in front, but glad. I always thought he was a good candidate, as well as Romney. During one of the debates, he was the only candidate who actually answered questions directly and easy to understand.  In other words, the only one who made sense.

I think Sarah Palin could do a lot to help her party, but I don't think the country is ready for her. I'm afraid she may hurt the nomination of some of the others, but who knows.....

12. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

If the Republicans nonminate Palin, they should hang it up as a politcal party. Going to such as depirate low is beyond pathetic.

13. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Kinda like the Dems going for Obama huh?

14. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

here's a number I would like to give to Sarah Palin.
    1-800-GET-LOST extention B-I-T-C-H!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)