Marriage should be Abolished

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (36 posts)
  1. OpinionDuck profile image60
    OpinionDuckposted 13 years ago

Once we took the till death do us part out of it, it became useless.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree, not that it should be abolished, but that the "til death do us part" part did lend a seriousness to it that wasn't to be taken lightly.
      But then, in our laws, we are a merciful people in general, just like God is.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"till death do us part"

What if one of the marriage partners was beating the other until they were half-dead?

This happens quite frequently, actually.

Any voluntary agreement should be able to be voluntarily abolished.

1. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  Let's put it this way. Should marriage be a legally binding contract or should be be simply a non binding agreement?

3. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are some very happily married people in the world. Just because many don't honor their vows doesn't mean those who do should be denied the right to a happy marriage.

4. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It shouldn't be abolished as a private contract, because this is an agreement that many people freely enter. However, I agree that the government should not define what it is or grant special rights based on it.

OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is one of the best comments that I have heard.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Is does have more functions than to forbid serial partnering.  For example to allow economic unifying of a household (which it did even before Christianity) and to determine rights of inheritance.

That is what we have wills for, and wills are better than rules on intestate succession.

Marriage had a contract but the contract was vague, and technically divorce should have terminated the contract.

A will is better than marriage vague contract.
      A prenuptial agreement or the like is better than a marriage contract.

so I don't agree.

Marriage today can be replaced by contract law.
      It would be fairer and it would clear the divorce courts.

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I disagree. My husband comes from a culture where divorce is not accepted and is still pretty rare, and based on his family, friends, and acquaintances, the ratio of successful to unsuccessful marriages is about the same as here. It's just that the unsuccessful ones are stuck with each other for life. In some cases that means being stuck with an emotionally or physically abusive spouse; in many cases, it means being stuck with an unfaithful one.

1. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. If the marriage clearly isn't going to work, then get a divorce.

The most specious argument for staying together in a loveless marriage is "for the children." Why would you want to show children two miserable adults who don't love each other as what they can expect from marriage when they reach adulthood?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In order to honor the commitment made to God, and in so doing it also provides a stabler, easier life for the children.

Something many people fail at.
        Something I "failed" at, even though I had Biblical reason to exit the marriage.  There are consequences to all our decisions, and sometimes our children end up having to live with our decisions too.   That should not be, even though there is forgiveness.

2. OpinionDuck profile image60

No marriage then no divorce.
        A breach of the contract and you are free.
        Marriage is not necessary.

4. arb profile image78
    arbposted 13 years ago

Marriage is in the eye of the beholder. In my eye, it has been a wonder to behold. Were I gifted again with she and the way we went, I should do it all again. It is itself that which pursuaded, at times, just one more day and then one day, I awoke to the morning of our 15,286 th day and she, who made the promise so long ago, smiled and another day was born.

It wasn't marriage that made it happen, it was your relationships.

1. arb profile image78
        arbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

contrary to your assumption, being married is sometimes the only incentive to going another day and sometimes another day is just enough. If it were too easy too leave, then we end the effort and go our way. The complications of ending a marriage are often times just enough inccentive to try a little longer. A little longer, sometimes is all thats needed.

Maybe before no fault divorce but not now.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't think it should be abolished.  I think, though, with a more complicated society and and better understanding of, and respect for, human nature and emotional wellbeing; what "society" needs to do is step back, gain a better understanding of a lot of things associated with marriage, and hope people will better know how to select a spouse.

Having said that, I know someone who says she thinks they ought to take "til death do you part" out of the vows.  She says that was OK when a lot of people died young, but today a lot of people live a really long time.   smile  (No wonder the divorce is higher now, eh?)   smile

Again, no marriage means no divorce.

too many marriages don't last and after several marriages to different people and say each one had children.

What has marriage accomplished in those cases.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The taxman likes gay marriage.

If it dose not work out, one gets pal-o-mony anyways.

Crowd control likes gays too.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hah! Alot easier when everyone died at 30!

Good point.

6. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

I was married once. Once was enough for me. I'll stick with a girlfriend who isn't interested in marriage either. I fully agree marriage is obsolete and today a marriage has less than a 50% of success. The vows and promises are meaningless. Life is too short, why spend your life with someone you no longer get along (due to a various reason like abuse or infedility) with or love?

7. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Marriage is not obsolete.  The vows are not obsolete.  What has happened is that few people understand a promise (vow) of any kind; few people today can honestly say that "their word is their bond".  Without that ethical commitment to the promise, of course the marriage doesn't last.

On the other hand, with two people (it takes two) that do understand a promise and will try hard to keep it, marriage can and does result in something that others cannot understand.  I love my wife, and she loves me, with a depth of feeling that neither of us could have imagined or understood 35 years ago. 

It is unfortunate that so few couples have the dedication to stick it out - the rewards are unimaginably large to those that have not experienced them.

It seems to me that you made a good argument to abolish marriage.

2. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so you mean like "It depends on what your definition of IS is"

3. Paul Wingert profile image59
      Paul Wingertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is unfortunate that so few couples have the dedication to stick it out - the rewards are unimaginably large to those that have not experienced them."

There are a few great marriages out there that are sucessful. Good for them. But unfortunately for every one successful marriage, there's 1.2  that ends in divorce. Dedication to something that isn't working is a waste of time. For those that don't work, it's like driving an old worn out station wagon that keeps falling apart and constantly needs fixing and doesn't get any better. It's easier to junk it and get another one.

Do you know why divorces are so expensive? Because they're worth it!

8. psycheskinner profile image84

Most people don't have wills for most of their lives, and besides--providing for your spouse and kids is not something you can opt out of even if you do divorce.  I think marraige serves a purpose under the law.  That is why people who aren't religious still get married.  That is why people go married before Christianity was even invented.

9. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

Now this is going to far in my opinion. I dont believe that a few gays wanting to get married is reason enough to abolish the entire divorce lawyer industry. That many lawyers with nothing to do would be disasterous.

This is bigger than gay marriages, it applies to the dismal marriage success. Fifty person of marriage are failing, and multiple marriages are common today.

As I said initially, it is the removal of for life, and the creation of the no fault divorce that makes marriage something that should be abolished, as it no longer represents its original intentions.

1. arb profile image78
        arbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trying to follow your logic here. Everything that encroaches upon a 50% failure rate should be abolished? I suppose that includes all relationships. We could abolish relationships. That would end the potential for divorce and a host of other problems. Damn, it might solve 50% of the problems in the world. While we are at it, lets abolish effort. We could eliminate failure all together. I am, of course assuming that it is failure you are  trying to eliminate. Your on to something here. Lets abolish everything that  poses the risk of failure (approaching your 50% standard) uh oh, we are going to have to abolish a lot of people. After all, we fail much more than we succeed. Seems to me you have a system which allows you to marry or not to marry. How does abolishing marriage improve upon your freedom or does everyones marriage bother you. Your choice to co habitate certainly doesn't bother me and I am not calling for its abolution. Of course, if we abolish choice we could diminish the prospect of failure. We could create the illusion of no failure. There's an improvement we could wallow in.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not so sure. Things are bad, I think, but if we pulled marriage because it no longer seems to suit the majority, well, I kinda think things might get worse!

In what way would it be better? Just cause people aren't getting divorced wouldn't mean all the problems of broken homes would just disappear.

I don't know. I don't see anything wrong with the institution of marriage. The problems aren't the institution. The problem is a society that takes absolutely nothing seriously. The problem is kids growing up with fairy tales about love and not understanding basic truths because our society prefers pretty lies.

I don't think eliminating marriage would solve anything, or make anything better. Even if it doesn't last, that doesn't mean it wasn't worth it while it did.

10. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Not abolished, unregulated. Free grouping of people should not be restricted. Especially by a government who only uses it as a means to levy taxes. To punish successfull families on one end of the spectrum and to prevent other people from becoming a part of a family on the other. By the way, I'm not speaking about the Homosexual marriage issue.

11. psycheskinner profile image84

A marraige isn't a failure just because it ends.  A lot of kids are raised very-well in two-parent households within a marriage that ultimately ends in divorce.

12. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 13 years ago

"Marriage should be abolished..."
    How innovative is this idea....!

Even for plants and products, we are applying for patent-rights. "This is for that person... that is for this company" and so on. Marriage is just for social interaction of two persons, especially for reproduction of humanity. Without this what purpose has marriage? If we abolish marriage-system, then it will be free for all and we all should enter into stone-ages.. or even go to animal-life. A much more civilised innovative idea will be good.

13. Anjili profile image65
    Anjiliposted 13 years ago

Well well well, I thought you were a product of marriage. Or was there a hatching of eggs?

14. Broken Poet profile image60
    Broken Poetposted 13 years ago

marriage should be open
    one spouse shouldn't get upset if the other decides to fool around with their freinds/workmates/random people on the streets/ or all of the above...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)