Why is there a need for a goat?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (59 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

we have cows and sheep and all sorts of animals the bear live young and give us milk and wool and leather.  Why do we need to have a goat?  Plus they don't smell very nice!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what about goat milk, goat skin, and some eat goat....i just don't like the billy goats...they are really dirty...big horn mountain goats are pretty nice to see....

I think we need 'em!

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

again hmm:

3. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I knew a guy with a herd of goats, he used the milk to rear his calves.
      He also felled trees on the side for firewood, he fed all the leaves and small branches to the goats.
      The goats will turn all sorts of rubbish the cows and sheep won't eat and help to turn wasteland into pasture.
      The nannies don't smell too bad. If you have no intention of breeding them removing the billy's wedding tackle will stop  the smell if done early enough (don't approve).
      Goats are much more intelligent and more fun than sheep.
      Another friend had a goat that would walk to heel and find her own way home.
      As Ivorwen says the taste of the milk is affected by their feed.

4. scarlton profile image73
      scarltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goats car great for rural areas where you may have a field, briar patch, or any landscape, vegetation, or any other thing the goat finds edible (which pretty much anything in site). Seriously, they are great for places that have plenty of excess vegetation that may be difficult to keep cleaned. Just remember you need to keep them confined to ONLY the areas you want rid of smile

5. profile image47
      Sword of Fireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spermatozoa. No whoopee, no woolie. Wash your goat. Let him mow the grass.

6. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.swcoloradohome.com/articles/ … /goats.asp

they eat annoying weeds. and provide milk for cheaper then cows.

plus, fainting goats are fun.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

1. profile image0
          1. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
            Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool link! This thread has turned educational! Might have to be moved to education and science big_smile  It's good to know it's not cruel cuz it's soooo funny to watch!

7. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goat milk is great for anyone that is allergic to cow's milk.

8. Vicki.Pierce profile image69
      Vicki.Pierceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goats are also great for getting rid of poison ivy.  If you have poison ivy growing in your yard - get a goat!  They eat it like candy!

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was a kid we had goats and they do indeed eat poison ivy. The funny thing is I would then drink their milk, go play in a poison ivy patch (unintentionally of course) and only have a very mild reaction to the stuff. I guess by drinking the milk I was getting a very low grade safe exposure to poison ivy that allowed me to build a tolerance smile

I miss my old goats, they are soooooo cute as babies!

9. 2uesday profile image64
      2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me the goat serves a purpose as I drink goat's milk not cow's milk.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Goats can survive in much drier and less hospitable places where sheep and cattle would not make it.  Also they produce the milk needed for feta cheese. yum.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...and we need it for that goat joke too...."....ghost?...i thought you said goat..."

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

tell the joke!  tell the joke!  I don't know it, or at least I can't remember it!

"A professor at University is giving a seminar on the supernatural. Getting a feel for his students, he asks "How many of you believe in ghosts?" About 80 of his students raise their hands.

"That's a good start I suppose. Those of you who believe in ghosts, how many have actually seen a ghost?" About 30 students raise their hands.

"That's good. I'm really glad you're taking this seriously. Ok, has anyone here ever talked to a ghost?" About a dozen students raise their hands.

"That's a great response. Has anyone ever touched a ghost?" Two students raise their hands. "That's fantastic. But let me ask you one last question... have any of you ever made love to a ghost?"

One student in the back raises his hand. The professor is astonished. He removes his glasses, takes a step back, and says, "Son, in all the years I've been giving this lecture, no one has ever actually claimed to have slept with a ghost. Why don't you come up here and tell us about it."

The student replies with a nod and a grin, and begins to make his way up to the podium. The professor says, "Well, tell us what it's like to have sex with a ghost."

The student replies, "Ghost? Oh... I thought you said 'goats'!"

I cut and pasted it in....i'm not a good joke teller.

1. mega1 profile image79

haha!that's really a good one - I never heard it!

4. profile image0
    4youreyesposted 13 years ago

Goats meat is more widely eaten around the word than any other meat.Many babies and young children  who have allergies to formula and cows milk can drink goats milk.Besides how would we get goats milk fudge ?

1. mega1 profile image79

yes - for the babies, it makes sense - but goat's milk fudge?  somehow that doesn't sound so good to me.  But then, I really, really do not like the smell of goats and the taste of their milk is repulsive to me.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The taste of the milk really depends on what they have been eating.  I don't care for goat's milk if they have had access to rag weed or corn, but alfalfa and buckwheat make for great milk.

1. mega1 profile image79

I suppose if they have been eating the laundry off the line, that would not be such good milk!  lol

1. pylos26 profile image69
            pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goat’s milk is best when they have been eating the old metal plumbing found stacked out behind the barn…one gets plenty of iron from the milk.

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

damn you

I peed twice, oh, can't stop laughing

Must go think of funeral before return

uh, again

lol  lol  lol

6. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

for a minute this thread was right up there with the "Why is there a need for God?" thread - it looked so great@!  I shoulda taken a photo!

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

there are some real goat lovers out there!  I can see now how useful those little buggers are!  They are sometimes very funny!  and that baaa aaaa aaaaa aa!

8. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

Because they are so cute, smart and funny!  Here are my two goats, Spike and Gizmo.  You should never get just one goat; they are herd animals and are miserable alone.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4136487.jpg

9. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

pretty - are those pygmy goats?  they're really cute!

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are Nigerian Dwarf goats.  And, yes, they are absolutely adorable!  I am so attached to them.

nice PP!  they are so cute!

10. cookibuq profile image61
    cookibuqposted 13 years ago

they have cool eyes, I like their kids and they even have a fanpage on fb...
    That is all smile

1. profile image47

I got w/in an inch of a wild goat at Yellowstone. smile

1. cookibuq profile image61
        cookibuqposted 13 years agoin reply to this

s/he probably saw you a mile away and let you come close ? very lucky~

11. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

plus, without goats there would be no angora or cashmere yarns!  (cashmere comes from goats bellies? right?)

12. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

who cares

we need not a goat

It's in your minds and frankly quite an indication how misinformed you are megal une

lol

1. mega1 profile image79

yes, but we need these goats!!  watch this Kim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

best fun!

13. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

Has anyone seen a goat faint? Go to youtube.com and type in fainting goats. Some are very funny although at the same time you feel bad for them since people are purposely scaring them. I'd love to know if this is cruel or not from someone who has a goat. I guess they faint when nervous or startled but I also saw that they faint when they are happy or excited too. Sorry I can't post one of the video's. I'm on my phone at the moment and it's not letting me for some reason. There's one I'd love to post too but maybe you'll see it! big_smile

1. profile image47

It's genetic....kinda like other genes which are not necessarily "good Mutations" perverted characteristics evidenced in the DNA. Totally correctable...unless you like goats fainting in fear at the drop of a hat. Only survive because of man.

1. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
        Lifeallstar1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile pretty cool!

2. profile image0

not cruel, they are not actually fainting. Its just a protection type thing. see my link just above your post.  smile  sort of like, how salamanders can drop thier tails to distract a predator. The predator is stunned, looking at the tail, and the salamander gets away. fainting goats get stiff and fall over if startled. It doesn't hurt them.

1. mega1 profile image79

so I guess they're not actually passing out - just that their legs get stiff and they can't stand. 

well, well, never knew I would learn so much about goats! 

as for the comforting when you're lonely - man, that's maybe not so great!!  goat abuse?

14. Lifeallstar1 profile image60
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

Oops...nevermind! I didn't see that  post.  Anyways, funny little fainting goats!

15. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

And you can make fabulous cheese out of their milk.
    Besides all that, they can be very comforting in times of loneliness...

16. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

You need goats to scape - without a scapegoat one would have to take responsibility for one's own actions and the consequences thereof.  Many people would not be able to function without a scapegoat - certainly not our politicians.  Indeed without a goat or two or possibly many herds of the dear things our entire system would collapse.  And then there are of course those people who make it their life's work to get other people's goats.  They of course would be left with no game to play at all considering they have not much to do other than to see to it that we don't all bobble about feeling so good we can hardly stand it.  Goats are vital to the survival of any number of negative games we play on this planet and I do not foresee them going extinct anytime in the near future!

17. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Has the idea got your goat?
    Well let me go on to say.
    I don't like to gloat
    but them animals don't eat just hay.

I had a shoe
    That I really did like
    It wasn't so new
    but I used it to hike.

Well a goat will eat
    anything yes it will.
    Like something for my feet
    if its on the ground sitting still.

The are smelly little imps
    that don't look like dogs
    they're better pets than chimps
    but not as smart as hogs.

Goats milk ewwwww yuck.
    I had some as a lad.
    It certainly did suck
    and made me a little sad.

I would have to say...
    I really like feta.
    In a cheesy way
    I must say it is beta.

So goats must go?
    well maybe not today.
    yes they are so so
    but some are cute in a way.

18. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

I sure agree.
    Mind you, I've never been a legionnaire.
    But I understand...

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goat are friendly and affectionate, many people with lactose intolerance can drink goat milk

The cross and bone club makes love to goats, uh hmmm sorry sir, I mean love to ghosts

19. allbreeds profile image58
    allbreedsposted 13 years ago

goats are great when there are no pigs to shoot.Here in australia they are classed as feral along with the pig..So yeah great shooting good horns and they dont taste to bad either if you get a young one and put it on a spit

20. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

We loved having goats. They were great at keeping the fence rows clean, and they were fun to watch.

21. Nikki D. Felder profile image63
    Nikki D. Felderposted 13 years ago

God in His sovereignty designed them for a purpose. My father-in-law has several.  I've studies them.  They make much noise.  They look rather unappealing.  Nevertheless, they have a purpose and that's why the creator put them here.  My guess is that they play an important role in the food chain!  Thanks.

22. Urbane Chaos profile image89
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Why do you need a goat?  Well, it all depends on what part of the country you live in, and your marital status.  See, sheep are sometimes hard to come by.. and..

Seriously, my neighbor has goats.  He said that the only reason that he has them is to keep the grass down.  Personally, I think he's a little fond of the furry fuzzballs.  It's not my place to question..

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ewwww! I was waiting for someone to allude to this! Sing it with me:

Dirty deeds...done with sheep!
      Dirty deeds...done with sheep.
      Dirty deeds...done with sheep.
      Dirty deeds, and they're done with sheep.

23. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...cuz they're beautiful....

http://www.destinationeden.com/images/GraniteRidge/goats-iStock_000003715967Small.jpg

1. Urbane Chaos profile image89
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's amazing, that looks like someone I used to know.. neutral

24. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 13 years ago

Goat cheese is so good!  If you have ever seen a pygmy goat you would probably fall in love with them.  The way they play with each other and greet human visitors is so cute.  We often visit a farm in the summer and fall months where they have great vegetables and fruits.  We always hike out to the goat pens to visit the little goats.  They each have their own dog house to sleep in and love to hop up on top and call to us when they see us coming.  We just cannot resist petting them and giving them some snacks.  There is a box of packaged snacks that the farmer keeps for visitors to give to the goats.  When they see us get into the box they run to us and love their snacks.  They are very curious and love to explore the buttons on our clothes.

1. Ipeoney profile image70
      Ipeoneyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe you are talking about my favorite animal -Goat. We had a goat when I was little. Very cute goat, yes goats are intelligent. What is billy?
      If I'm given a chance, I would love to raise goats for business. It will give you at least around 60 % profits. They are much better than pigs. The manure of the goats can be used as fertilizer.

25. lindajot profile image66
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

I'm still smiling over the term "wedding tackle" - I've never heard that smile
    My sis had goats for keeping brush down and for milking.  They enjoy them for many years before relocating out of town.  We've been thinking about getting a couple for the brush.

26. guy1973 profile image55
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

my neighbor's kid has a goat and i have been watching that goat for a while and i have noticed that he eats almost everything and i have come to a conclusion, that beside giving us milk and cheeses,a goat can be used to clean your yard.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)