Who else had Pathetic Adsense and Amazon Earnings this month

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

My Adsense earnings this month from HubPages was only 40% of what I normally earn with HubPages and for the first time in several months I did not make a payout in Amazon this month. However, the saving grace was some of my blogs which earned double of what they normally were earning and the HubPages Affiliate Program which covered the losses to some extent.

Was this just my experience or are there more people in the same situation? If so what can be done to improve the situation? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i dont make money on amazon which is understandable since i dont write product hubs..as far as adsense goes...well i did see drop in it of around 30% but i guess it was because of hub ads which made 30% of my loss...so in end i am at same position ...

2. iQwest profile image49
      iQwestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Amazon earnings fell off the cliff.  Adsense, on the other hand, was improving through this month (as I would expect since I just joined in January) until this past week.  However, this past week, the click through rates have been down drastically.  The CPC has been all over the board from unreal (in a good way) to can't go much lower!

3. lakeerieartists profile image61
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My experience is not quite the same as you.  I have had a good Amazon month, a lot from Hubpages actually, a not as good as normal Adsense month, but more than I had originally expected, and a dismal Ebay month, although that seems to be turning around some. 

I just started on the Hubpages Ad Program about 10 days ago, and it seems to be growing and stabilizing.  So far, I am happy with what I am seeing there.

I believe that the Panda change is the biggest factor in my earnings difference.

4. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My adsense was like 50% of what I earned in February which made me feel real bad because I was hoping to reach another payout by the end of March. I'm not even sure if I'll make payout this April sad.

Well as far as Amazon goes, I don't have great earnings in the first place so seeing 2 sales in March kind of cheered me up.

And yes, the new HP Ad Program made up for the losses in Adsense smile.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I have had a terrible Amazon month. Adsense has been way down but the new Ad program has made up for it.

3. warchild75 profile image64
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

Yeah rubbish month on adsense, but looks like the new ad programme has more than made up for it!

Anamika Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, The HubPages Affiliate Program was definitely a savior to some extent. However, I hope that they would combine the earnings for people who have more than one accounts.

4. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

I think a lot of us are in the same boat Anamika sad My adsense is down 60% and amazon is down about 75%. The HP ad program has just about covered my adsense losses which is not too bad considering a loss of around 60 - 90K traffic per month since the algo change.

I'm of the opinion that amazon based hubs are unlikely to recover even with heavy backlinking because of google's recent preferential treatment in the serps for shopping and niche websites over review articles.

Adsense hubs can be pushed back up in the serps with some quality backlinking - I don't think there'a anything else that you can do at this point.

Anamika Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Susana! Happy to know that you did not suffer much loses. The problem with me is that my traffic has returned to normal (may be more) but my earnings are way down at the moment ...both on Adsense and Amazon. Well, let me do some backlinking and see if it helps.

1. Susana S profile image92
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

I have suffered because my amazon income was far higher than my adsense sad The loss of earnings for amazon is due to the lack of US visitors. No US visitors = no sales.

I think with adsense there are a variety of factors:

1. Reduction of adsense ads in the new ad layout

2. HP ads showing instead of adsense

3. Less US traffic = lower click values

Glad to hear that your traffic has returned (smile)but where is your traffic coming from for your hubs? I was trying to work this out the other day so I'm interested smile

5. fastfreta profile image76
    fastfretaposted 13 years ago

I haven't made any money with Adsense this week, or rather I did make one cent.  I usually make a few dollars a week. So, yes my income such as it is has gone down.  However, I make a few cents each day with the HP ads, so I can't really complain.

6. Adventure Colorad profile image76
    Adventure Coloradposted 13 years ago

You could say my earnings were pathetic, I have only been on hubpages for about five weeks and so far have not seen a penny.  Hopefully I will see something before too long.

7. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

My Amazon earnings were down by around 60% as was my Adsense. The HP ad programme has made up some of the slack, but as I tend to be lowish traffic/high click value not all of it, and I have lost nearly all of the high value Adsense clicks that I used to get

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.  Really feeling the loss of Amazon earnings - I was just starting to get some results with Amazon and then the large bamboo-eating mammal came along sad

8. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Not great here either, down by a long way on both Adsense and Amazon. My traffic is about the same as it was when the algo rolled out.

I expect things are going to become worse when it works its way around the world. In fact I have no doubt that it will get worse. It's clear after more than five weeks that our previous foothold in the US serps is well and truly gone, and as Google appear happy with their results, why would our standing fair better in .co.uk, .in, .ca etc?

At least I've lost in the hundreds of $'s, I know there are hubbers that have lost several thousand $'s and then some sad

9. Tenerife Islander profile image69
    Tenerife Islanderposted 13 years ago

My earnings are depressingly down too but my hubscore is up so that's something to be cheerful about!

10. DaNoblest profile image61
    DaNoblestposted 13 years ago

What really makes me mad about all of this is the 200 word "quaility" content from ehow ranking so high.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I agree.  I don't mind the quality thing but to arbitrarily apply it to ALL writing on a site is pretty rubbish in my opinion.  Surely there are good and bad pages even on Wiki or whatever the flavour of the month is.  Youtube maybe.

11. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 13 years ago

amazon was down from about 300-400.00 a month to 120.00 sad ebay was down from 200.00 to 25.00 ...sigh.
    Adsense was down 3/4ths but hub pages made up for some of it. My overall income from my hub articles (including adsense, amazon, kontera, and eBay) was short 400.00 so I am trying to pull in extra freelance work.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I expected my ebay to tank, when I stripped away the products and it did. Down from thousands to hundreds of dollars.

What really has surprised me is the bad adsense earnings. I was hoping with fewer products, the ebay hubs would generate more adsense revenue. But that didn't happen. Even with hubs that got traffic, there was very little clicking - and when they did click, the clicks were only worth a fraction of what I've seen.

HubPages is now my least profitable website per page in my online portfolio.

13. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

I am not sure it is any consolation but my very small earings became virtually nothing, on the one hand I haven't lost a lot on the other I have lost everything.

I posted earlier that I recieved an Adsense payment this month, I would imagine it will be some time yet until I get another one.

Amazon are due to pay soon but it will take a long time to get the account back up to payout levels.

Hubpages Ad program hopefully will be my saviour.

14. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Amazon was more than pathetic. And Adsense earnings for HubPages were also down.

15. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

Looks like we are all on same boat. My traffic is at the same level but the clicks and revenue has gone down. I wish I could do something about the product hubs which was consistently earning me a good amazon revenue. My amazon revenue was down by 75% almost and for the first time in several months I missed an Amazon payout.

16. sagebrush_mama profile image59
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

Both Adsense and Amazon were about 50% of last month's earnings, traffic seems to be down about 1/3 of last month, more or less.

17. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Of course AdSense is down, the number of AdSense units displayed can be as low as 1 for members of the HubAd program.

Of course Amazon is down, Google.com stole our US traffic and gave it to Murdoch and Co.

The good news is that I earnt more in March than I did in January or February online, as a result of being spurred into diversification. Nothing like working out of fear and panic to yield results.

I now have 7 decent income streams instead of 3, so thank you Google.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Somehow, I thought we were supposed to be discussing just Hubpages. Are you saying that you're HP earnings are up as well because of the new ad program.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't realise that there was such a strict protocol.

I wasn't saying that no, but a quick play with a calculator, and yes I can confirm that my Hubpages earnings were higher in March than they were in both January and February. But not higher than October.

Of course, there are also on page changes that I have made which are contributing to that, but any attempts to share my experimentation are knocked firmly to the floor on here so they will remain private.

1. profile image0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't go getting upset. I was just confused. Your writing style and traffic levels are well suited to the HP affiliate program, so I think you should do quite well.

1. profile image0

That depends on what happens with Panda UK unfortunately, there are 80000 page views a month at stake through that.

I am happy with the way that the HubAd program has stabilised my earnings, but I see it as a buffer whilst I build up my own sites.

I've been working on a sales site for three days, I'm going to build 4 or 5 100 page sales sites, and see where that gets me.

Whatever happens to my Hubpages happens, I've been working on them with the aim of leaving them alone completely. A lot of my comments boxes are being deleted, to minimise the time expended on here.

If the algorithm hadn't had happened I suspect that I would have been propelled to unprecedented earning levels by the HubAd program, so consolidating my earnings is actually little consolation to be 100% truthful.

But, I'm paying the bills, have to be happy enough with that.

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
              brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also similarly developed a new site which is now getting somewhere between 300-400 hits a day from its start 3 weeks ago.  I don't write on it every day but I've probably got 10-12 articles up now.

18. wbfree profile image60
    wbfreeposted 13 years ago

I think I did pretty well, but the HP ad program made me a little bit worst off. Of course they did warn that you'd probably see less in AdSense earnings.

Anyway, after I made payout for AdSense, I turned the HP ad program on for about a week. I averaged about 40 cents a day on HP ads. I still got some AdSense earnings too, but way less than normal. After I turned the HP ads off, I had good AdSense earnings again.

Amazon for March: I made pay out. I made payout in February too. So, it's the first time I've had back to back months payout for Amazon.

Bottom line: I fared pretty well. I'm pleased.

19. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Nope, my amazon earnings have stayed the same and my adsense has increased. I do have several blogs under my name and a lot that are not connected to my name and the blogs traffic has shot up on some as it's even doubled to 10,000 views a day which is nice.

My earnings through Amazon and Adsense here however have dropped significantly however, but this Hub ad program has caught the shortfall of those earnings.

Many strings to a bow is better than Robin Hoods pathetic bow and arrow.....

1. Andrew0208 profile image58
      Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Waynet, I also observed that my blogs/sites traffic increased by 40%, AdSense CPC suddenly went too low on earnings. My March Amazon earnings on them were also pretty good to my surprise. In the other way, Google changes and shocks have truly made many of us to lookout beyond the panda and other relative good alternatives to adsense. I passionately admire and like your YouTube channel. smile

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks Andrew, my Youtube channel is a fun video channel and I'll be doing another channel which will mark an upgrade with better camera equipment (HD camcorder,good microphone etc.) and hopefully they will be of a higher quality and more brandable to brand myself and my new company......cheers now!

1. Andrew0208 profile image58
          Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great! I'm subscribed already and have been following your video channel creativity since late last year. You inspire me a lot Hubber Waynet Tully. Thank you. It's amazing and rewarding to truly diversify. HaPPy WeeKend! smile

20. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 13 years ago

I had less than 50% of the income from Adsense than the month before on Hubpages, but with the new ad program I ended up making just a little more than last month. So the Hubpage ad program saved me.

For writing other than Hubpages, Adsense earnings have been just slightly down. My website is strange. Most of my traffic comes from Yahoo, referrals from other sites and direct traffic. I get very little traffic from Google.

21. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

i just did my monthly tally on the big whiteboard in my war room (not kidding)

For Hp Ive always considered 3 streams -

Clicks (adsense/kontera (if i used it)

Product Sales  (ePn and Amazon are often used in comparison so one will always detract from the other)

Random 3rd party

For march compared to February I considered HPads as being in the adsense line.

SO Im down to 50% of total earnings in adsense
    and Im almost exactly the same in Product sales (within a few pennies)

Third Party is basically the same - but my best earner died completely and earned half as month as previous months but was made up for in renewed interest in hosting/wordpress stuff

Overall that doesnt seem to terrible, but this is actually the first month  that i didnt enjoy a 20% increase in profits from the month before.

I also got lucky on a big ePn sale that put me at .60 for a week - which has died now and is not likely to return since the new restraints seem to be killing my style. Im not even sure that i will be able to keep ePn on hubs.

On a off hubs note - Ive been building the barebones of a site every night this week - some datafeed based, some 5 page microsites, some rebuilds of decaying installs I had never got back to ... if i keep that pattern up Ill have some great data to work with

22. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

My HP AdSense tanked, but the HP ads filled in the gap. AdSense on my personal sites is better than ever. I'm down somewhere in the 40% to 50% range with Amazon from HP.

23. tritrain profile image71
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

What do you suppose is the cause of Amazon earnings decline?

1. profile image0

US traffic decline.

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. But it's really difficult, I think, to determine how much of the decline was Panda and how much is just normal earnings.

As you know, Nov/Dec are huge Amazon months because of the holidays. I also find Jan/Feb to be better than average, probably folks buying gifts they did not receive, hitting the post-Christmas sales and spending the gift cards they received. March is when things normalize -- at least for me. I actually had a better Amazon month (Mar 2011) than I did last year despite Panda and the drop in US traffic.

Now let's see what happens next month when the full impact of removing products from hubs kicks in.

1. profile image0

Well I can only speak for myself, but my Amazon earnings have been rolled back to August 2010 levels, which is where my traffic is at too. And at that stage I had only been writing sales pages for a few months.

So, for me, Amazon has tanked.

2. tritrain profile image71
        tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Amazon earnings haven't changed much, up or down, from last month.

Maybe I'm an anomaly.

24. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

I think that this month I realized that when I stopped feeling sorry for myself about last month and kept writing on here and on my own personal sites that I was just fine. 

Amazon was 40% in March of what it was in February; however, looking at where things have been the last couple of days I'll probably be up 25% in April.

25. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Adsense was down but I made Payout with £10 over..I made $100 on another website without trying too much. Amazon had no orders after a great Christmas, weird :S

26. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I've actually earned slightly more in March than I did in January. Amazon sales well down. AmazonUK sales increasing. Adsense died - didn't even make payout this month. Hubads keeping me afloat. Less than February's adsense, but more than Januarys.
    Meanwhile my traffic is back up.
    There are some confusing figures which I'll need to analyse further.

Edit Just to clarify: Amazon down but still reached minimum payout, so not dead.

27. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

My adsense is down ~60%.  The HP Ad program made up for some of that.  Combined, I am down 25%.

Amazon on the other hand is down about 60% - that hurt as they were a much larger piece of my income.

I too am focusing on my own websites.

28. Ign Andy profile image55
    Ign Andyposted 13 years ago

March 2011 is my worst since 10 months ago. I missed adsense, and my amazon is down 50% of Feb 2011. And my Hubpages ads is only $1.3/day on average.

29. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

All my income streams from both Hubpages and my own sites have been way down this month.

I'm working on a lot of things and hope to gain sales this month. smile

30. ThomasE profile image69
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

Well, my Hubpages income is pretty much nonexistent now. Shrug. It's a pity, I had finally worked out a formula that was working for me - but that's life.

I am trying out some new ideas... working out how to publish on kindle... if Amazon is going to be at the top of most searches, I want to be on Amazon smile

31. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

From the looks of this thread, I'd better quit whining.

Like Sunforged I tend to lump my HPad and adsense into one figure as they feed from each other.  That figure is about what I've seen since October and much better than Jan or Feb.

Amazon has doubled or tripled from what it has been (except for the holidays in Nov and Dec of course), to the point that March total earnings are the best I've seen yet but for the holidays.

I'm certainly not in the range of income that others are, but the figures are encouraging to me.  Traffic is still down, but coming up slowly and gives hope down the road.

32. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

I am not a fair comparison since I have little traffic to begin with.  Any earnings from Amazon is a positive month for me, so my $6 was amazing.  My AdSense earnings were about the same as February overall, but down with HubPages.  The Ad Program made up the difference so I probably broke even.

I have been working on my own site and trying to get traffic and earnings.

33. netlexis profile image63
    netlexisposted 13 years ago

Like most here, my HP adsense and Amazon were down (not on eBay, sorry to say). Traffic is down by about 35%, but that's better than the month before. Getting a little better, I suppose. The only good news is a couple of my own websites are starting to earn and eHow is chugging alone nicely. And that's what I plan on doing, keep chugging along, adding more and more content here and elsewhere.

34. profile image0
    Mad Prophetposted 13 years ago

I agree.  My adsense has been struggling as well, as it seems hubpages traffic is surely struggling as it were....

35. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

all I know is that my traffic has died down so much within the past few months that i literally have thought about leaving hubpages for good.  trust me, it's that freaking bad.  However, due to a promise I made, I told a good friend of mine that I wouldn't give up on myself this easily in my writing on this site.  therefore, i'm still here.  however, it's not easy reminding myself of that promise. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)