In general, do women work harder than men for the same pay?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (33 posts)
  1. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Some would argue that, since women tend to get paid less than men, a woman has to work harder/longer.

Well, what do you think?

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course they do! Men are only good for one thing... changing a flat! Lol!

1. profile image52
        matgamingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol.

2. DTR0005 profile image60
        DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOLLLL - we finally agree.

3. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They can take out their own garbage if you remind them nicely (important!) 5 -6 times.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure some would argue and it wouldn't be true.
      Both men and women both have the exact same potential, with regards to their mind. On the physical standpoint, yes men usually will take a physical labor type job and do it better than a woman, just because of man's ability.

I would go as far to say that many women work smarter than men, but most do not. There are few women who can match a man with regards to length of time(endurance). If the game is physical, man might win more often than not. If the game is mental, then men will lose more often than not.

If it's a combination(balance) of physical and mental, then they are evenly matched. smile

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Before I start, women work very hard. I will never deny that.

But this entire "women get paid less" stuff is BS.

First and foremost, almost every non-feminist woman I've met has admitted that they want a rich husband. Openly. They've said it to my face. I know of at least 3 women who have actually said that love doesn't matter and that they want a rich guy.

Talk about a double standard.

Second, if you compare income levels of men and women, there IS a gap. But as soon as you take into consideration "are they married, or have they ever been married", the gap almost completely vanishes. The reason the gap exists is because, for whatever reason, women CHOOSE to stay at home, or take worse jobs than their husbands, when they marry.

"The Case for Discrimination" Talks about this quite thoroughly, and *gasp* uses real census data to back up these claims.

Think about it men: if you got married, and the woman made more money than you... you might not like it too much.

Think about it women: do you really want to marry a poor guy?

The gap is the outcome of marriage.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I think Women just work smarter smile

Men on the other hand tend to work methodically for longer  periods.(IMO)

1. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I would agree with your opinion on it.

And together, a man and a woman could make a great team!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, a smart team is the one that utilises the best characteristics   to get the job done.

I think too ,that all people should be paid according to their over all contribution. Male and Female.

3. profile image50
    maria2posted 13 years ago

I think that a woman can think of nothing more than one at a time

1. RachaelLefler profile image92
      RachaelLeflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha, I was just about to say the exact opposite! I think women can do more multitasking while men tend to prefer to focus on one thing, get it done, than move to the next one. Any mother I know is a champion multitasker!

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

No, women do not work harder for the same pay.  Very few women go into jobs that require hard work - they are not generally physically capable of doing the job.  I have never seen a female iron worker, sheetrock hanger or even framer for instance.  It simply takes too much simple muscle for the feminine physique.

On the other hand I think women must all too often work longer for the same pay.  Although highly illegal it is all to common a practice to pay women less for the same job than a man earns. This is changing, but it is a long and slow process - slower than it should be.

1. daviddwarren22 profile image59
      daviddwarren22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have a point.

2. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I beg to differ. I know two women welders, three electricians (and masters in their profession), five oil rig workers and two who operate heavy equipment. They do not receive the same pay as the men even though they do the same work, same project and same hours. Why? They're told that based on the union pay scales, they don't fall into the same pay grid. Odd thing is, they have worked just as long, if not longer, than some of the men. Neither they, nor I, have figured this one out. BTW, these women are just as strong, if not stronger, than some of their male colleagues.  They are more agile, flexible and fearless when it comes to their work.  They have more common sense, know their abilities, know their boundaries and are not shy of speaking their mind if their safety is in question.  They are responsible for their own safety as well as their teams'. 

Personally, I graduated from a class consisting of 21 men and I was the only female. When we began our careers, I was consistently paid less than they were -- same jobs/responsibilities, same years of experience, same success if not better. Not only was I paid less, I was passed over for promotions and had upper management ignore any recommendations I made. The men and I tested my theory -- I presented a recommendation and it was turned down by the Board of Directors. A fellow male colleague presented the same recommendation verbatim (even with the same illustrations) and the recommendation was approved and implemented. Who was credited for it? Not me.

Even in today's employment market, women do not earn the same income as men. The tide is slowly changing, but it's an uphill battle. Women still have to work harder, smarter and be more agressive than their male counter parts.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We all know a few women that can work most men under the table, and a few men that are barely strong enough to lift a spoon to their mouth.  The women weightlifters I see on TV can outlift 99% of the men I know.

This does not indicate that women in general physically work harder than men.  On average there is no doubt at all that men work harder than women.  A few individual exceptions do not change this.

I do not doubt, however, (and my post clearly states this) that there is a pay disparity between men and women for the same job.  It is not always there (female journeyman electricians receive the same pay as males in my company) but it is there far too often and it is taking far too long to change.

1. Beth100 profile image69
          Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your female journeymen are extremely lucky to have an employer who recognizes that their worth is equivalent to their male counterparts.

I still believe, in my own experiences and opinion, that women work harder, smarter and endure more in order to reach the same pay level as men for the same work and number of hours.

5. DonDWest profile image71
    DonDWestposted 13 years ago

I don't know if women necessarily get paid less, but jobs typically done by women tend to pay less. I should know, because I'm often stuck with such jobs. . .

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

There is still a wage gap between men and women. Women currently make approximately 80 cents for every dollar that men earn for the same work. In 2009, President Obama signed the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, which allows victims of pay discrimination to file a complaint with the government against their employers. As for working harder, women still shoulder the major responsibility for domestic chores and child rearing even with a job outside the home. They don't say "women's work is never done" for nothing.

Yeah, that's true. As far as we come at equality in white collar (no heavy lifting) jobs, it's still expected that the woman in the relationship do housework and if she's single, it reflects extremely badly on her if her house isn't tidy, much more so than if she were a man. And child rearing is such an unequal game, but that is slowly progressing...

7. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Yes, women are paid less..and they are not valued as much either. The jobs themselves are somehow downgraded, imo.
    Like, for instance, I told my boss that I was once the manager of a retail store. He said, "Oh, you were just a glorified clerk."
    When people don't show up for work, we women manage to pull things together, regardless of how it happens. The boss says nothing.
    Our handy-man fixes a washing machine, and you would think he was deserving of a gold medal!!
    It's the mind-set that bothers me. And maybe it's just my age.
    I don't think my daughters have the same experience. Younger men today are more enlightened smile

8. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

Men are also good for mowing the lawn... if they're properly supervised!

I'd say men are best for opening tough jars!

True.. but there not worth keeping around just for that!

Just remember though:
          Vibrators cant mow lawns or change a tyre wink

On a more serious note if the best man/woman does the job well ,then they should be paid accordingly irrespective of their gender.

Traditionally men have been the breadwinner,as many occupations demanded physical labour,that women while capable in many tasks,generally do not excel in.
          Equality, has moved forward in the last 50 yrs (IMO) at the upper end of the spectrum -Numbers of females in the boardroom and holding top excutive positions are a noticable improvement.

Men and women work differently ,therefore based on true equality should be paid according to skil and not gender.

No... but they don't talk back, cheat, or quit before you're satisfied either! Lol

Ah true enough ,but thank God only some of 'em wink

9. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Studies show women are also more hesitant to ask for a raise.  And for good reason.  In a recent study:

Source: NPR, italics mine

Men probably felt threatened ,or at least the insecure ones smile

1. Jed Fisher profile image68
        Jed Fisherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well the numbers are skewed, the earnings of bazillionaire men who inherited their jobs are inlcuded, but the pennnies per hour prison jobs of two million American men aren't factored in. Also, median lifetime earnings disparity of middle class men and women, women who choose to work make more during their lifetimes. Another thing to consider, the pay of men in careers normally dominated by women, such as nursing. Male nurses make less. And in the military, there is no dispairity in pay but some studies cite the fact male soldiers tend to collect more 'danger' and 'hazardous duty' pay. It all comes down to the individual, demanding the pay for which they are willing to work. It's just something I noticed, during decades of intelligent observation, men and women are diffrent.

10. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

It is a fact that women work longer hours for less pay. The statistics bear it out. Women are more than 50% of the world's population, working 3/4 of the world's working hours (and this does not even include childcare and housework, which traditionally women do more of), and own less than 1% of the world's property. 13 of the Fortune 500 CEOs are women.

What's more, fields that are generally women-dominated (childcare, education, etc) usually oh-so-mysteriously become more male-dominated the closer you get to the top. More women than men are school teachers but more men than women are head teachers. Funny, that.

1. DonDWest profile image71
      DonDWestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"13 of the Fortune 500 CEOs are women."

I think this explains the disparity more than anything. If we removed all the rich CEO overlord class, how much closer is it?

11. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

this will never be eradicated, it might get better with time in some societies. Society will always discriminate people based on age, sex and statuses. I don't know for internet writers, if this holds true - female writers are being paid lesser, might be credibility issues based on topic. At least in the eyes of G adsense we aren't discriminated. (Internet jobs require a non social setting, there is no social relationship and hierarchy unlike when you work in an office where there is notion of patriarchy and hierarchy which are carried on)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)