Do you talk to your pet

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (54 posts)
  1. getpaidtopost profile image41
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I talk to my dog all the time, why I'm not sure, but do it all the same. Do you talk to your pet?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, sometimes pets are the only ones that truly understand what you're saying... or they just want you to feed them, so they feign interest.

2. Harvey Stelman profile image60
      Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you don't you shouldn't have a pet.

2. Jane@CM profile image62
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Yes, I talk to her all the time.  Silly, but during the day, she is usually the only one around to talk to that doesn't talk back!

getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Is this why we talk to our pets as they dont talk back?

3. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Oh yes! big_smile I baby them in fact tongue  lol n they love it, I think hmm tongue lol

Think i treat her like a baby to, give loves, even say bye and see you later to her, when i go out. up to now she has not said one word to me. I think she does not like me sad LOL.

4. Temperance M profile image59
    Temperance Mposted 14 years ago

I have almost always lived alone by choice...I talk to the dogs all the time and sometimes I even swear they understand what I am ranting on about!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I definitely talk to my cat. He is blind so he needs me to anyway smile

6. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Yep, and even wild animals, birds, frogs, just in case they can understand me!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I actually do say "excuse me" to the Canada geese by the lake where I live, when they're blocking my path.  Seems more civil than "shoo!"

And of course I talk to Vivi.  I got her, in part, so I wouldn't seem so crazy--I'd be talking to myself if she weren't around.

7. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I talk to my pets all the time:  sit, come, roll over, dinner.  lol  Seriously, yes.  And they listen with great attentiveness!   (and they proof read my articles)  woof woof big_smile

This is true my dog seem to understand what i say even reacts with nodding of her head, Can not her her to proof read tho, woof woof big_smile

8. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

My dachshunds talk to me, though I do not understand german. My routine is to waken and then we watch the morning news on TV while they are buried under a comforter. At 8:20, my older dog moans for breakie, which I then prepare the meal of the day. At 0900, we walk for two miles in the park. They are allowed to run "free-willey" as far as the leash will expand. Dachshunds will run until they find a prey or until tired. Love my two guys for their control of me......  smile

9. getpaidtopost profile image41
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

There has been a scientific experiment as to the ownership of dogs and life expectancy of people. It is expected for people that own and love dogs will live longer healthy lives. something about stimulants in the brain when stroking a dog. I suppose this would be the same for cats. This was on the radio last week.

1. HealthCare Basics profile image60
      HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that is true for anything that makes us humans happy and calm with life having pets.... Keeps the blood pressure down, keeps us active, and calm, thus reducing stress... smile

10. tksensei profile image62
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I guess there are few people with (indoor) pets who don't.

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I do, but it isn't because I want someone to talk to.  I do with pets (these days cats) what I did with my babies - talk and kind of let them know what's going on.  I use hand signals and gestures and make it a point to "report" what's going on, just because I think it makes them feel valued and helps them learn.  They do pick up on words in time, and they're like kids in that when they feel respected and "clued in" they tend to be cooperative.  It's as if they appreciate how they aren't forgotten (I'm guessing).   Of course, sometimes I make it a point to just talk for the sake of talking, because they seem to love to just sit, listen intently, and seem to be trying to figure out what I'm saying.

12. Shalini Kagal profile image55
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

I talk to both my dogs - trouble is, I do it while I'm out walking them as well. I'm sure the people who don't know me think I'm nuts! Well, maybe the ones who do think so too big_smile

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

When I'm out and see someone talking to his dog (rather than doing nothing but "commanding" him on one thing or another), I have tremendous respect for the person.  It shows they value the dog, and it shows they have a good understanding about the fact that pets can and do understand (and deserve) talk.

14. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I talk to my two cats ALL the time. lol

I don't have 'conversations' with them ahahaha but I am constantly saying "oh, look how cute you are" ..."what a cute kitty". Similar to how you'd talk to a baby. One of my cats responds to 'baby talk' REALLY well and is absolutely adorable (she dramatically blinks her eyes, mews loudly and turns her head when being spoke to this way).

Precious. big_smile

15. tksensei profile image62
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Cats are good with 'eye responses.' However, dogs have a special ability to connect to humans that I don't think any other 'pet' animal has.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've had dogs (loved them), but I've had more cats.  I have to say I think people don't realize how connected cats can be.  My daughter's cat (who lives with me) is amazingly social.  I have a friend she's attached to, and when she comes the cat does a whole "greeting" her thing.  When she starts to get ready to leave the cat always comes from wherever she is and does what looks like a real "good bye" thing.  My son once commented about the cat we once had that she didn't even seem like a cat.  He said how he sort of thought of her as more human.  She was amazingly attached and communicative.

1. RedElf profile image90
        RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that our animals respond to how we treat them, but there can also be a special bond. I swear sometimes they seem to understand every word.

1. janni321 profile image59
          janni321posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you because I experienced it with my dog and cat.
          Even it works with the bird pets as some of my friends told me about their bird pets behavior.

16. Benjimester profile image90
    Benjimesterposted 14 years ago

Definitely.  I talk to my dog to make her wag her tail and I talk trash to cats when they stare me down.

O yes thats what i miss with cats stare out competitions. they go for hours. dogs get board and just put their head down, but cat will stare for hours.

17. Temperance M profile image59
    Temperance Mposted 14 years ago

seems like a better question would be "why don't you talk to your dog!"

Pets are such a huge part many people's lives.  Its always amazing to me how non-pet owners don't understand that these 2 girls are my babies and I'd do just about anything for them!

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The birds around here just walk up to you and mug you for your food. I'm over talking to teenage white cockatoo gangs that take over the back porch. They gabble about me, and I can only understand about 10% of it cos they all talk at once!

Its a little like that where i live, walk down the street with a sandwich and swoosh its gone, a big white bird has swooped out of the sky and mugged you of your sandwich. There should be a curfew set in place for this birds, maybe even tags wink Wink

18. Laura Spector profile image68
    Laura Spectorposted 14 years ago

My cat is the best listener I've ever known.  And, if I don't talk to him he starts knocking stuff over or coming over and slapping my legs.  He not only wants to be talked to - he demands it!

19. andromida profile image57
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

I love to talk with my dogs and monkeys.The good thing about them is they never mind.

20. LOT2DO profile image41
    LOT2DOposted 14 years ago

Interesting question and nice responses! smile

21. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

I talk to both my cat and my two dogs. The dogs and I raised the kitten from she was a tiny smudge, so they have their own ways of communicating with each other, too.

22. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Yes, I talk to my pets and farm animals.  It's relaxing and they love the attention!

23. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Yes I talk to my dog in his language. bow bow..

Gees I thought I was the only one, woof woof bow wow big_smile

1. soni2006 profile image76
        soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I am not the only one. Cheers....wow wow bow bow bow wow.......

24. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I talk to my dogs all the time. My two chihuahuas just look at me like I'm insane. But my mini doxie I swear understands everything I say.

25. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Hell I converse with the wind. Why would I not talk to my dog? I talk to and with all animals, especially penguins. hehe

1. profile image0
      Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years agoin reply to this

penguins are cute ^.^

26. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

I talk to myself...does that count? =/

27. profile image0
    iamqweenbeeposted 14 years ago

Yes, I talk to my dog, my tropical fish (although I am not sure what good its doing) and my plants.

the dog and the plants seem to respond positively, however, the fish probably don't know I exist

28. manlypoetryman profile image79
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

No need to talk to my dogs...we communicate telepathically all the time anyways...right now they are saying to tell everyone "Hi!".

Say "Hi" from me wink

29. manlypoetryman profile image79
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

you got it: getpaidtopost...I'll do that...by the way...they say that they enjoy reading your hubs! hmm

What is that? reverse psychology? wink Tell them thanks big_smile

30. abillones26 profile image60
    abillones26posted 14 years ago

It's been fun talking to animals, still doubtful whether they understood or not. But the immediate gestures I get especially from dogs are, whining, tail-wagging, the other ear lobe erects, tongue sticking out of its mouth and last the last is just a meer "ignore". hahaha I'm gonna try guinea pigs next time.

31. BarbieGirl79 profile image61
    BarbieGirl79posted 12 years ago

Yeah all the time I talk to my cats & the Dogs at my work!! They listen to me in their own way's!!

32. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Absolutely! I am a modern-day Dr. Doolittle.
    Amazing repartee with the animals! smile

33. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

When my dog Itchy was still alive, i used to talk to him all the time like he was damn near human.  In fact, me and my brother used to do little jokes with him, where we'd pretend he was a smart ass little jerk.  lollollol

34. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I talk to my big boys all the time, and I'm sure they understand a lot of what I say! My fawn Great Dane is the smartest dog I've ever seen. He knows a huge number of voice commands, and he picked almost all of them up on his own. I think I halfway expect him to answer me one day!

35. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image67
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 12 years ago

Of course and she talks to me. The level on understanding might be elusive but there's always body language to implement more.

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I answer that question truthfully my friends will abandon me. They'll think I'm crazy!

So no, I do not talk to my little goats as I play with them, or my dog when I come home after a long two weeks away, or my beautiful plants that I miss so much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)