How many of my fellow hubbers shop at Goodwill?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (34 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

My message isn't really about saving money or stretching the dollar, it's about being a bargain hunter. I enjoy finding good deals on clothing and other items for a couple bucks. It's like going treasure hunting, and I'm usually more happy when I find something cool at goodwill or the Salvation army, then when I buy it brand new. Like buying a polo shirt that normally sells for $30.00 in almost brand new condition for a $1.99.

I purchased 4 pairs of jeans, and Abercrombie polo, a Hollister Polo, and a pair of Abercrombie shorts, a cool hat, a sweatshirt, and a couple t-shirts. For $15.00. I love to buy clothes, and finding jeans in my size is almost impossible at most stores these days, so thrift stores have become my main clothing source. Why page hug amounts of money for brand new, when you can find really great stuff cheap.

Not only are you buying stuff cheap. All this stuff that used to be thrown away or stored until it collects dust, is being re-used. And, providing jobs to people who need them. Some of the goodwill stuff is getting a bit pricey, but, there are still good deals on stuff if you take the time to look. Some Salvation army stores have great stuff too. I always donate my change to the red kettle as I check out. Hope it is helping someone who needs it.

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you should write a hub on this topic, it is obviously very close to your heart.

brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea Brian. I could certainly use another hub to add to my list.   I only have a couple hubs that are still getting traffic. But, I guess any traffic is good traffic. Thanks.

1. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...all my clothes are bought at "thrift shops!"

Goodwill industries is a little higher in price than the "Mom and Pop" stores, but I use 'em.

Why pay retail when ya can pay 1/10th the price for very good clothing by shopping at thrift shops.

I've never been a "clothes horse." Never paid attention to "styles." I buy what I like and what fills my "bills."

When I was a gov't worker I bought all my suits at a local thrift shop and had them tailored to fit at a local Haitian tailor shop. I never paid more than $100 bucks for any gorgeous, beautifully tailored and fitted to perfection, "pinstripe" suit that I wore.  smile:

Everyone thought that I was a "clothes horse." I had 'em fooled!  smile:

Up with thrift shops!  smile:

Qwark

Yes. I once had a guy comment that if I didn't buy so many Abercrombie and Hollister shirts, I might not be broke. And, I told him that would be true if I didn't buy all those shirts in my closet for less than 20 bucks. I never pay retail for anything! I don't think I have ever paid more than $5.00 for a shirt. I think I might have two or 3 that I bought on sale, but that's still less than $30.00 brand new for all 3. Summer clearance is another good time to buy, when you can find new clothes for 90 percent off.

1. qwark profile image60
              qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen Brim...amen!

Qwark

2. profile image0
              BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Abercrombie is a load of shit-here today fashions are only worth peanuts.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thrift shops are very trendy now, everyone wants to save money. I Agee that you should share your info in a hub.  You've inspired me to take a look!

2. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

I've been going to Goodwill for years! I love to find like new or even new clothes for a fraction of the price. smile

I also used to buy dresses, and re-make them into Halloween costumes to sell on Ebay--I love the selections they have to choose from!

And books! I can't tell you how many of those I've bought there...

You're right--it can be like treasure-hunting, because you never know what they're going to get in there! big_smile

1. mareezy13 profile image61
      mareezy13posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The skirt I am wearing right now was bought at Good will for $2 last summer.  I have gotten more compliments on it than my other summer skirts!!!

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Sorry.  I have a "thing" about used stuff, and that "thing" is that I wouldn't wear it.  With a few things that aren't worn I might be OK with a used thing here or there, but even then I'm really wary of a lot of stuff.  My way of saving money is not shopping at all unless/until I don't have to worry as much about saving money.

4. aware profile image67
    awareposted 12 years ago

a pair of jeans for work for five bucks.  its a no brainier.
    ray

5. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Right now in Toronto big retailers have lots of sales where you can buy some items pretty cheap, sometimes cheaper than a second hand store sells it. I do not like to wear somebody else's clothes and you can "buy" some bugs into the bargain with it. That's what my friend's husband did. He bought lots of thrift clothes and end up with apartment bug infested, nice bargain. It took her 3 years to get rid of them (bugs and clothes because he did not want to throw them away - clothes, not bugs, of course)!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ugg, that would be terrible. I would probably look for never worn clothes and wash them before wearing.

Stores here also have huge sales going on now. I bought a new $80.00 pair of Skeechers yesterday for $22.00. The bargains are out there. The sales lady told me I would have received an additional 15% off with a coupon from their email ads.. so I signed up for their email ads.

2. brimancandy profile image79

the best way to ensure that there are no bugs, is too wrap the clothes in an airtight bag, and leave them for a few days, then wash them when you take them out of the bag. Just like people bugs need air to live.

But, you can pick up bugs just from being outside. I went camping for a week, and now I have a problem with moths eating little holes in my good shirts. The little suckers probably got into my bags. Lord knows I had enough of them in my tent. You don't need to go to a thrift store to end up with bugs. That's why they have exterminators.

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

you can use lavendar and rosemary sachets in with your shirts to keep the moths away - also cedar - those moths are insidious but the herbs help!

I've bought lots of clothes at all kinds of thrift stores - always washed them when I got them home, never had any bugs come along with them.  I still find lots of clothing, fabrics (in clothes and linens that I cut up and make things out of)  and lately I have found some wonderful books (current ones, not old) for $1 or $2 and the great thing is that when I'm done with them I take them back - that way I don't add to my stuff.

thrift stores are wonderful!

1. TamCor profile image82
          TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with mega and brimancandy...I have either been given, or bought, used clothing my whole life--and have never once had a bug problem...

I don't understand the aversion to wearing used clothing--if it's in great condition and you wash it before you wear it, why is it so bad?

Heck--You probably have a better chance of picking up bugs from trying on new clothing at department stores--who knows who has tried something on before you? big_smile

And if you use public transportation or eat in restaurants--who knows who was sitting in your spot right before you, or how clean they were?

Or staying at hotels--You sleep on used sheets and pillowcases there, plus use their towels, not to mention the bedspreads are most likely not washed everyday.

I don't mean to go on and on, but as someone who has saved a lot of money through the years at thrift stores, it's a little offensive to me when someone comes here and talks about how they refuse to wear used clothing...like it's such a bad thing. sad

Your comment about hotels is very true. My brother and I stayed at a hotel in Ann Arbor Michigan, and found that the towels in our bathroom were stained, and obviously used. It was almost as if the help just refolded them and put them back on the rack. It was gross, and I certainly complained to the office and they sent someone with clean towels.

It certainly made me wonder what the beds were like. Itchy blankets, and stiff towels. Almost as bad as a bath house. I made sure I took a long shower in the morning!!!

3. Beth Godwin profile image70
      Beth Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I only buy from clean thrift shops where the clothes have been laundered.  Dry cleaners frequently donate items that were never picked up.  Tax write offs. You can buy the whole garmet for less than you would have tp pay to have it cleaned, and it is already cleaned. LOL  I've gotten some great cashmere sweaters cheap!! I feel like a treasure hunter.   Glad I never bought anything infested with bugs.  I bet that was awful. smile

6. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I'm not crazy about buying used clothing from Goodwill, but I have bought furniture and household items.  And for my wedding business, I can sometimes come across some really great containers for my candy buffets or pick up Blue Willow china which I collect and love.

My daughter bought her wedding dress at a Goodwill, then had it fitted--she looked beautiful! smile

And I also bought a whole bunch of un-matching wineglasses to use at her reception for holding floating candles...and suits for my sons...and I'm sure other things that I just can't remember right now.

When you have a shoestring budget, but want a beautiful wedding, places like Goodwill can be a Godsend! big_smile

7. Moon Daisy profile image82
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

We don't have Goodwill in the UK, but we have many other charity shops where clothes, books and many other things are donated and sold second-hand, and the money goes to that charity.  I love browsing in charity shops, and some of my favourite clothes were from there.  You can get some real bargains, and some really unique stuff.

8. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

consignment shops and thrifts are always a good deal.Depending on your location,you can find wonderful items on the cheap.
    They  also run  an online auction.wink

9. profile image0
    4youreyesposted 12 years ago

I use the Salvation Army you can find good brand name clothing from $4.00 and up, I've even bought clothes with the store tags still on them. My one rules no under garments or shoe and they must go directly in the washer. I love coming out with my seasonal wardrobe for less then some people pay for on e item.

10. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

yes, I love bargains..

11. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

I don't shop at Goodwill, but I do occasionally go to local thrift shops. For the most part though, I don't shop at all. Can't really spend money you don't have.

12. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

I was just at the Goodwill in Yorkville, IL today.  Found a cool hippie skirt for $3.99.  I have been enjoying thrift stores for years. Goodwill is a little pricier than I like, but I still go and find something I like.  I used to buy my husband's work jeans there because it was so much cheaper than spending $25 for every pair the way I once did.  Now lots more people are shopping there, so it's harder to find something you like. I have gotten to the point that thrift shopping is just fine for me. I would like something new occasionally, but for the most part, I love the look and feel of jeans and tee's that have been washed over and over, and have become soft, faded and comfortable.  The prices at regular stores look really bad after you've been to a thrift store!

13. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

I shop at Goodwill...AND LOVE IT! Some stores depending on their location have better items than others. I also shop at other thrift and consignment shops. My recent consignment purchase was (3) pair of Nike tennis shoes (brand new and top of the line) for $20.00 each. One pair at regular retail would have cost close to $100.00!

Reading through this thread, their are some who have an aversion to used clothing and shoes. The only difference is, you know that these items have been worn when from a thrift store (sometimes the items are new with tags), or perhaps tried on. At regular retail, you have no idea how many times an item has been tried on, or worn and then returned. To me it's a reasonble assumption that everything in regular retail has been tried on, and that, in my book makes it used. However, like others I do draw the line at undergarments, and linen. As far as linen I have yet to see any that does not have lint pills, but if I did I would buy it and own it proudly. It was already said, and I agree that used linen is no different then staying at a hotel, where the linen IS washed and reused.

14. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

one of the flat screen lcds in front of me was bought for $12 at a SalVal - actually, the guy in line in front of me gave me a coupon, so it ended up being under $10

Ive been reselling thriftshop items on ebay for years. Now, with google "goggles" I can comparison shop just by taking a picture!

As for "pre-worn" with clothes .. at least in my area its quite common to find clothes NWT at thrift/consignment locations.

We have, too... smile  Ironically(concerning this thread) some of the best sales we've made on Ebay are from selling vintage clothes, lol...

There are people out there who only wear vintage clothes from the 30's, 40's, or 50's, and thrift shops are one of the best places to find them. Families clearing out their older relatives home after they've died often donate these just to get rid of them!

Honestly, some of the best made clothes I've ever seen were from earlier eras--back when they took pride in making quality clothing... smile

15. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

I've found such great jeans at Goodwill, I see little reason to buy new and pay full price. 

Goodwill is great for finding older, much laundered clothes.  Kids and adults with sensory processing issues (like those on the autism spectrum) often prefer softer clothes, which can be satisfied by clothes that have been washed many times. 

My sister works all over San Antonio, and often has used her lunch break to search different Goodwill stores for toys and books for me to use in my pediatric therapy.  At anywhere from 25 cents to $1.99, I can often afford to gift items to my kids and families, or to my therapy assistants.

16. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

My entire LP Record collection came from Goodwill. Original albums from the 40's all the way to the 80's. These same albums are being sold on ebay for $20-$40. Just yesterday I bought the original album for THe Music Man, my favorite musical of all time, for a dollar! wink

17. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I been shopping the thrift stores for forty years. Some are better than others,
    but think they are great.

18. KK Trainor profile image60
    KK Trainorposted 12 years ago

I haven't been in a while because the Goodwill shops close to us don't have great stuff, but I used to visit the one in Metairie a lot when I lived in Louisiana. I give more than I buy nowadays, but appreciate them being there for those who want bargains.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)