What separates love from lust for you?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

So often I have heard about "love at first sight" but, how does one differentiate between the lust born from chemical response (Pheromones) and love that will last a lifetime?

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love at first sight is caused by seeing one's anima or animus in the person one falls in love with. The infatuation lasts as long as the projection........ usually about 6 weeks in my opinion and that of Carl Jung's.
      Some people remain stuck in the projection for a whole lifetime as in the song "Delta Dawn"  smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When my husband fell in love with me at first sight he wasn't exactly noticing my animus. hmm

Hi Klara!
          Any husband fool enough to admit what I just did is suicidal. lol lol lol

I know one can fall head over heels in love with the anima and then discover that they love the person when they get to know them.

You are a lucky gal to have that happen, it is like winning the lotto. smile

K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

earnest, what is the signifigance of  the "six" weeks?

Well, with constant contact it takes about that long for the projection to fail in enough ways for the veil of mind fog to lift. smile

After that little annoyances emerge, he/she doesn't look as stunning first thing in the morning or vomiting over the toilet any more, and the love bug gets up and leaves. smile

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
          dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. K9keystrokes profile image83

@klarawieck~ Hilarious!! smile

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What seperates love from lust-answer-about 6" smile

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Maybe the love of being with someone and talking about everything and anything.

Good point. Communication has to be a very large part of any lasting relationship. Although, my oldest brother has been known to have some pretty deep conversations with women only to leave them with a broken heart after taking care lust. It's like he knows women need that mental and emotional connection, so he gives them what they need, only it's really a convincing manner to achieve conquest. He is a nice guy, but I'm not sure any guy can find that true unconditional love...

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

That first reaction where you are physically attracted, head over heels, butterflies in your stomach... that is LUST

LOVE grows. It doesn't hit you on the head like lust does. For you to fall in love you need to give the relationship time. It comes with interaction, getting to know each other, supporting each other, and so on.

4. knolyourself profile image60

"it's really a convincing manner to achieve conquest"
    Common it's pretty low-life and cannot be called nice, even if he is in every other way. Anyway - speaks to the individual and not to the concept.

Nicely said, "speaks to the individual and not to the concept."
      @ klarawieck: I tend to find your explanation for love vs lust to be something women appreciate more than men; I may well be wrong. I have found in speaking to the men in my life (and from ALL walks of life) that the lust is first in line for them. Married guys, single guys, gay guys, and even guys who profess celibacy are haunted by some level of need to quench lust.  For them, love only becomes important after this need is met. I'm not sure I have encountered many women who feel the same?

2. K9keystrokes profile image83

He actually is a nice guy now, he learned that love is much better than lust;  still he does harbor that lingering lust thing that guys carry with them throughout their lives.

5. knolyourself profile image60

At my age I am just glad I still have my lust. I am no lust buster, but strictly vicarious of course.

LOL! And that's exactly what i'm saying! You may now be vicarious in your lust, but it still lingers for you.

6. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 12 years ago

That's a great question -- I'll let you know after my next "lucky" night (or afternoon - who cares time of day) :-)

Actually -- lust happens fast and easy, love grows.... yet I've experienced Love Growing "almost" as fast as lust.

Is there an answer that fits every circumstance? - I think not as each circumstance is different!

Neil, you may have the best point of all; finding a single answer for this is going to be near impossible because answers are going to be vastly different from one compared to another.
      I really dig your description, "lust happens fast and easy, love grows"...brilliant, and possibly (if there is one)  the only right answer.

7. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Lust is natures way of getting us together with random people to propogate the species, love is why we keep one now and then.

1. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL - love is why we keep one now and then...... so true

2. K9keystrokes profile image83

@ recommend1; I admire your truthful response... LMAO...and cringing a little at the same time!

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

lust is usually ruled by the senses; love is always mindful

we all really need both - but at certain times in life one is better than the other, I think, although I admit it has been hard for me to tell them apart sometimes.  Now I would settle for some mindless lust in a heartbeat

would I be pondering it ?  is this lust?  or love? hmmmmmm . . .  oh no, I'd just be jumpin on it!

"I'd just be jumpin' on it!"...Absolutely awesome! Funny stuff!
      I appreciate your remarks that lust is ruled by the senses and love is always mindful. Very deep.
      Do you think these two extremes can cross paths on their way to the other? Meaning, can love become lust? or does lust only become love?

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like my love seasoned liberally (and I do mean "liberally") with lotsa steamy lust.  But that's just me.  I have no idea what is good for me.  Can't you tell?  How about you?  love with the other, or without? 

Oh - and its always best if all of it is mutual!  smile

basically, I have never attempted to separate lust from love - if it isn't there, that's ok, but if it is, hummmmm baby!

I live for the moments when the two become one! Nothing better.
          You are hilarious btw, and I am so grateful for your "Diva-eloping" humor throughout HP! Thanks for playing along. wink

1. mega1 profile image80
            mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much! made my day

Very cool!

9. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Love gives. Lust takes.

Very well said RF.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks . . . I think it is basic.

A little give and take can be ok, too, in some cases.

10. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

We can recall Vivian Ward would not kiss on the mouth because she said, "It's too personal". I believe this is true and for me and would answer your query as to what divides lust from love.

I'd agree with Julia Robert's character and expound that if I do not want to kiss you, then I know deep down I do not love you.

11. shampa sadhya profile image77
    shampa sadhyaposted 12 years ago

I firmly believe that claiming to love somebody without having any respect for that person is lust.
    Love has to have respect for that someone special. Loving somebody just for money, style, power and other materialistic things demeans the value of the most beautiful feeling called love. In my opinion demeaning love is lust.

Quite an interesting concept shampa. Demeaning anyone for any reason has to come from a truly weak place within someone. If a person needs to cause another discomfort or pain on any level it is time to take a good look at the eyes within the mirror. The value of love can not be measured by these mean spirited individuals, that would only dampen its grace.

12. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

Love to me means a lasting relationship and lust is more a one night stand which I would personally never want!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)