Should marijuana be finally legalized in the U.S.? Can we consider it?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (43 posts)
  1. Johnathan L Groom profile image36
    Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5223230_f248.jpg
    I believe the effects of marijuana is not what the government is afriaid of.  A study shows that by removing the crop from consumption, a considerable amount of GDP would be affected in the country creating an inbalance with no way to satify filling the gap.  European countries have already shown what deregulation and legalization can do for the issue, proving the results to be less than alarming with low poverty, and especially low, crime rates in legalized areas.  Could the U.S. have a 'RedZone' or similar?  There are states that are easing up on the fines/punishment dealt to unlawful bearers and possessers, but this is far from the definition of allowing it to be possessed or consumed.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think there will be a time when it does become legalized.  But maybe its another decade or two away.  I think it will surely happen when one of these younger generations get aged enough to be running the government show it will happen. Imagine the money that would pour into a states coffers.  I think CA should legalized it just for that reason alone and to help lift someone the tax burden off it's small businesses and citizens.

2. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Bottom line is, how many people died from smoking pot verses alcohol, obesity, and tobacco use? Legalizing and taxing pot would be no different from alcohol. This country went through the same BS during Prohibition.

1. maplethorpej profile image60
      maplethorpejposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very true... It is amazing how we boast free choice, yet we won't let someone smoke a harmless plant (compared to alcohol, tobacco or prescription drugs). I can't believe some of the dire side effects prescription drugs have, yet they're legal!

If it were legalized, we would see a huge economic market arise out of "nowhere." Politicians just don't know how to effectively produce positive results these days...

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, and really gave the mob a boost. This time around we've made some monsters in Mexico, Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe.

For a country founded on the concept of freedom, we're not very smart. There's always some moron in power that thinks they can control human behavior across the spectrum of humanity that make up a population. Fails every time.

We're not very smart.

3. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 12 years ago

Even without the sales tax angle, the amount of money this would save - law enforcement, the court system, overcrowded jails and prisons - makes the argument a no-brainer.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Here in Georgia they can hardly pay state workers but they don't mind operating helicopters at thousands of dollar and hour to find pot fields.

Of course, this merely causes the money which would have been spent on locally grown safe cannabis to be spent on imported chemically treated Mexican supplies instead.  More money leaving the country.  Brilliant! smile

1. wyanjen profile image69
      wyanjenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sickening, actually

Gotta keep those damn hippies down tho! lol

5. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Yes we should.

6. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I agree with the TMMason... Crap.

Honestly, from an herbalist's perspective... If a plant can do something BETTER than its pharmacological counterpart with less side effects, it is ridiculous to ban its use for some obscure reasons that I've never fully understood.  My husband actually has Glaucoma.  I would like nothing better than to have him treated with the most effective medication. He however, is basically forced to drop synthetic marijuana into his eyes.  It is quite painful and works at only about 80 percent of the effectiveness that the real stuff would.

I would have no problem with him smoking the real stuff, even if it is illegal, if it means that his vision would stop getting progressively worse (in 5 years he will quite likely be legally blind).  He is a republican however, and wouldn't consider the option without a gun to his head.

Furthermore, I could walk into my woods and come back with at least 3 plants (right off the top of my head) that would produce the same basic effects of marijuana when mixed in a bloody tea.  They are quite legal.

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, if you read on the reasons why most of these illegal drugs became illegal, it's totally rediculous.

2. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

7. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 12 years ago

Why stop at marijuana, why not just legalise all drugs and be done with it.

Let's face it making them illegal hasn't worked in spite of the billions spent on trying, criminal gangs continue to make their fortune while the authorities merely continue to drain the public purse.

Logically if all drugs were legally available from proper clinical facilities the consumption could be better controlled and help to stop more readily available.   Plus of course at a stroke the criminal element would lose their market, incentive and profit.   Surely street crime and petty thefts would fall making all our lives a little better.

Who knows with a little forward thought the Government might be able to find a way to tax it and actually make money instead of wasting it.

8. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

The war on drugs is a money pit as we all know. Our government invested billions in something that doesn't work since the Nixon administration. About 75% of the people in jail and prison are there for a drug crime. The situation is that, unlike a murderer or bank robber, if a dealer is arrested and taken off the street, there's at least 10 more to take his/her place. The return on the dollar for manufacturing and dealing in illegal drugs is insane and there's plenty of people willing to take the risk. Just like alcohol was during Prohibition. That's the situation and no one has came up with a solutution.
    Is jail really the answer? After a drug dealer or addict serves their time, guess what they go back to (in most cases)?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jails are big business these days.  It pays the owners to keep them full so they can reap the rewards of government compensation.  I think Dubya's mom owns stock in just such an enterprise.  smile

9. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

If Barney Frank and Ron Paul can get together on the right (meaning, sane, smart) side of this issue, there's gotta be something to it.
    I live in California where medical marijuana is legal. It's legal in the state but illegal at the federal level.
    How schizo is that?

What's the saying, those who don't remember history are condemned to repeat it? Prohibition taught us nothing? Nancy Reagan taught us nothing?

I guess we're making some progress, tho. I rarely hear weed slammed as the evil "gateway drug" it used to be....

10. rachelsholiday profile image59
    rachelsholidayposted 12 years ago

I would agree with what a lot of other people here are saying.  Let's just legalize the lot of it.  Our economy will get a boost, crime will go down, and everyone will be better off (imo.)

11. ChristianRecca profile image60
    ChristianReccaposted 12 years ago

Let's just observe that not a single person here has said "no," not even TMMason, a McCarthy enthusiast. History is slowly moving in our direction, but it is kind of absurd how slow the pace can be. Meanwhile, lives get destroyed every day. Check out my profile to read about some of the damage.

12. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

American flags until abt 1900
    King James Bibles until about 1936
    U.S. Constitution
    Declaration of Independence
    and
    the parachutes we used in WWII

all made from hemp and cannabis properties

13. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

It seems that here at HP we as hubbers can finally all agree on a topic.  smile

We are not that different from each other.

14. trina47 profile image60
    trina47posted 12 years ago

Just want to put in my 2 cents worth and say YES, it should be legalized.

15. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Politicians were the reason pot was banned to begin with I believe. Cotton farmers couldn't compete with the many uses that the cannabis plant offered. It was in essence killing the cotton business because it is easier to grow, hardier, and more broadly applied to a variety of applications -- from clothing to medicine. In today's world, it is a shame it is still banned (for the most part).

It is an amazing medicinal component for those who suffer the side effects of cancer, chemo therapy, aides, hangovers, along with being an outstanding pain reliever and general "feel-good" drug. I'm betting that the RX companies would hate to see it legalized; no more need for xanex, Zoloft, and many other mental health applications as well as several of the stomach related drugs could be discontinued as well.

It is just ridiculous that it is still an illegal drug; the profit margins would stagger most economics politicians. But then they would actually have something to count (weed tax money) to earn their paycheck! Might cut into all of those days off and vacations we tax payers spring for. Just my opinion... tongue

1. Mighty Mom profile image76
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said.
      We don't hear much about the cotton farming lobby in Washington these days....

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! I guess this is my point? big_smile

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image36
          Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*thank you guys for these very informative, and opinionated answers!!!

16. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

yes, it is time to bring thi under cfontrols and allow it.

17. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

thanks ductchmna

18. Judi Burton profile image61
    Judi Burtonposted 12 years ago

Legalizing marijuana would reduce accidents due to acute paranoia. It would also dramatically increase the statistic in people saying " I don't give a sh?t.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a side-effect that doesn't happen in all people. It happens in very few actually.
      Another untrue statement. I know plenty of people who function better, physically/mentally/emotionally and even artistically, when high. They do not have the attitude as you suggest. wink

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I have to second that. I just care about different things under the influence of cannibis. It's when I'm drunk that I 'don't give a sh!t'

19. profile image48
    LesbianMechaposted 12 years ago

I'm stuck in the middle. No, because drugs are BAD for you, and people do stupid things when high, it hurts fertility, makes you stupid, etc... But I also want to say yes, because I'm sick of pot heads talking about it. If we legalize marijuana, we won't have to listen to whining potheads anymore -_-

20. bonnebartron profile image68
    bonnebartronposted 12 years ago

Yes, yes yes! But for god's sake don't make it a prescription, just make it legal for recreational use... I don't think a pot head should smoke tax dollars!

21. profile image0
    timonwellerposted 12 years ago

I think it is okay to legalise it. I would not encourage smoking it but I dont feel jails should be full of people just for a smoke.

22. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

A conflict of interest, concerning traditional American legalities, GDP and worldwide trade, our political positions in OTHER countries where we are more firm than is represented by our citizens, and a reason for those indifferent to change their opinion of us.  The U.S. is the 'police-state' and patrollman of the globe- how could we ever legalize it?  We would have to stop starting wars, and sell peace sign buttons and hats, which sounds vaguely familiar...

I hope we do too!!!
    -johnathan-

23. dutchman1951 profile image60

to not consider this now, would be futal I believe. we need to solve it, but like everything else, we will kick this can down the road as usual.

24. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

After all, we are Americans!!! smile

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile     well said....lol

25. dutchman1951 profile image60

as odd as this sounds!  It could be a real source of revenue for states, and may become a legitimate income source, if delt with and handeled correctly. You have to wounder.

26. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

true

27. dutchman1951 profile image60

as for the negitive arguments, people  will smoke and drive, etc...etc...

all I can say to that is, "DUH" where have you been since the 1960's!!!!!

we have laws for that also, and when handeled correctly, they work. so no fear. Legalize it. Not just for Medicine, but just like Liquor stores, age ID, sales regulation and taxable income. its about time.

28. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

I smoke Marlboros!

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to work for Philip Morris and make Marlboro Cig's.
      Big Business, Tobbacco, same for marajuna if we'd do it right.

above I meant smike dope and drive....do what is the point, many of us have been since the 60's!

29. Johnathan L Groom profile image36

dutchman1951 you are coolbeanz lol smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)