Tea Party is Sinking in Polls

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 12 years ago

This is from the most recent poll from Pew Research.

"As the Tea Party has evolved from a grass-roots movement to become a major force on Capitol Hill, public views of the Tea Party have grown more negative...

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted March 30-April 3, among 1,507 adults, finds that 29% say they disagree with the Tea Party, while fewer (22%) agree; nearly half (49%) say they do not have an opinion either way. Since last March, the percentage saying they disagree with the movement has grown 15 points while the percentage saying they agree with the Tea Party has remained mostly unchanged (24% March 2010, 22% April 2011.).

The rise in negative views of the Tea Party has occurred largely among political independents and Democrats. Last March, more independents agreed than disagreed with the Tea Party by a 26% to 14% margin. Today, as many independents disagree as agree with the Tea Party (27% each); the percentage disagreeing with the Tea Party has risen 13 points."

That last statement is the stake through the heart of the movement. 13% of independents have decided AGAINST the Tea Party in recent months.

http://people-press.org/2011/04/08/tea- … s-popular/

This is not an isolated poll. Gallup's most recent poll confirms the trend.

Disapproval has risen from 42% to 47% (Jan to April) while approval has fallen from 39% to 33%.

The most recent blackmail over the budget will not play well with voters, I predict. The moves by the Tea Party to privatize Medicare poll poorly, and moves to cut Social Security will be a disaster among Seniors, who have been the backbone of the Tea Party.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/147308/Negat … -High.aspx

My prediction is that after 2012, the teabaggers will join the john birch society and the whigs as movements who became extinct. I will be glad to attend the funeral.

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Cute Play on Words
    Did you know that the words "race car" spelled backwards still spell "race car"?
    "Eat" is the only word that, if you take the first letter and
    move it to the last, spells its own past tense, "ate"?
    If you rearrange the letters in "Tea Party" and add
    just a few more letters, it spells, "F*** you! You free-loading, mean-spirited, benefit-grabbing, resource-sucking, global warming-denying, tax-evading, Wall Street suck-ups, phony  religious hypocrites, lying cheaters and cheating liars, and deal with the fact that  you nearly wrecked the country under Bush and that our new President is intelligent, thoughtful, and a well educated leader and is trying to clean up the mess you created, so go f*** yourselves!"

Isn't that interesting?

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol, that is the funniest thing I have ever read anywhere on Hubpages. Lol. Awesome, Paul.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

T E A B A G G E R S

G A G  R E B A T E S

You're right, this is fun.

You can also rhyme it with flea shaggers.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I prefer "Teatards."

3. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Glad you got that off your chest Paul?

The Tea Party wasn't built to last anyway. They're only there to disrupt and slander. If a TPer actually became president, he/she would probably resign after six months to go on a book tour.

4. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

I feel better thanks. Actually that was sent to me in my email.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Disrupt and slander. That's a real positive movement, ayup.roll
    I know some hubbers will take umbrage, but I can't help but state the obvious: they are tea baggers and the party's just about over.
    Thank GOD.

1. American View profile image62
      American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone knows that the Tea party movement was just that, a movement. It never was nor will it ever be a political party. I post the following:
      The Tea Party movement is a grassroots movement of millions of like-minded Americans from all backgrounds and political parties. Tea Party members share similar core principles supporting the United States Constitution as the Founders intended, such as:
      • Limited federal government
      • Individual freedoms
      • Personal responsibility
      • Free markets
      • Returning political power to the states and the people
      As a movement, The Tea Party is not a political party nor is looking to form a third political party any time soon. The Tea Party movement, is instead, about reforming all political parties and government so that the core principles of our Founding Fathers become, once again, the foundation upon which America stands
      Now I do not know why Dems fear them so much.  I know they say that the group is slanderous, and disruptive.  I mean The Dems never do that, do they?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQov__xQHo
      Ok that was a fake Pelosi, but it was pretty funny. Ok lets get serious
      Here is Pelosi and her fake tears making a good point of taking responsibility for your words
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u46QoT_e … re=related
      Pelosi saying she is a fan of disrupters, then calls Tea party movement un-American for speaking out
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTamBfz0Efo&NR=1
      Here Pelosi making statements that were not true So much for taking responsibility for your words
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCq7mv7HVM
      MCR comments on the rhetorics and lies coming from the left
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2J1JhlOO4
      Schumer caught on tape to blame everything on tea party. So much for taking responsibility
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecLw78ftCE
      Here Chris Matthews is trying to make up a story that Tea Baggers are trying to create a Militia in Oklahoma to fight the Federal Government but gets flustered because the person he is interviewing is setting Matthews straight and it has nothing to do with the tea bag movement. So much for taking responsibility for his lying words.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCD4tu_wsgU

1. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glass Steagall must be repealed to have free markets. Otherwise we have speculation run wild and manipulated markets. But the Tea Party is for LESS regulation. We need more than Dodd Frank. We need bankers to be responsible. But the NWO of banking wants less regulation and more gambling. This must be resisted by boycotting their loans and their products.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
          Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good idea!
          I hereby propose the Mattress Movement.
          I call upon my fellow Americans who are concerned about the financial future of this great nation -- not to mention their own financial futures.
          Here's the premise:
          Everyone will take all of their money out of the banks/financial institutions and hide it under their mattresses.
          If you happen to have a lot of money (probably not, as the top 1% who own 90% of the assets aren't big on joining "movements"), but in case you managed to escape the recession with more than a few Benjamins, then you will need more than one mattress.
          Think of positive impact on America's mattress-makers!
          This movement will immediately increase mattress production and create those elusive JOBS the GOP of 2010 promised (but reneged on and now blame Obama).
          Yes, I think this is a very feasible and pro-American plan.
          If you agree, JOIN NOW!

I mean, crikey. If the TP wants to get back to fundamentals, we can get back to fundamentals, too! lol lol

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
            Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Mattress Movement is a wake up call. It’s time we spring into action in support of a firm platform that will bolster our sagging economy and debunk wasteful feather bedding. We must fight to improve the reclining job market. If I were chairman, I would head board efforts to blanket a sleeping electorate with the message we have cot to reclaim our country. Not everyone will approve, but frankly, I don’t give a sheet.

Hear, hear!
              This is serious, Quillgrapher!
              We cannot take it lying down. Oh wait, I guess we SHOULD take it lying down lol

2. American View profile image62

Funny Quil, very good

6. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 12 years ago

Tea partiers were the counterweight to the pendulum swing. It's Newton's basic law. Every action has an opposite and equal reaction.

Personally, I don't think the Tea Party is completely bad, just mostly. But as it grew like a cancer, it took on every type of conservative special interest in the name of change for the better. Now even Tea Partiers are tired of the mess they've created.

It does show the kind of reaction the American public can have quite speedily for change, and that the American public is serious about *trying* to get law makers in office who *represent* them. (And that's a circular argument at best.)

7. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

TP is actually kind of funny too.

T E A B A G G E R S

GARBAGE SET

Hi Ron smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Good one.  Who said the teabaggers were totally worthless?

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Irrelevant.  The administration is self destructing, no need for outside influences.

Honestly, who wants to be represented by a man who sides with brutal and disgusting murderers.  Sad and pathetic!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ju … -execution

9. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"Honestly, who wants to be represented by a man who sides with brutal and disgusting murderers.  Sad and pathetic!"

Where have you been? We've been on the side of brutal murderers for 60 + years.

catch up, will you?

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Standing beside them in the Supreme court?

10. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I think that actually once the real election season starts, the real tea party will be back... they are not professional protestors like the Left-wing. They actually have jobs and families to suppport. So I am not at all worried that after 2 and a half years or more of left wing media character assassination that they have dropped some... I am happy they are doing as good as they are.

As soon as they get out and make their voices known again... the American people will be fine with them. Untill then the left-wing media will assaissinate them and have their fun... but in the end America will once again see through the lies of MSNBC, CNN, Huffy-post, and all the rest.

They have jobs and families to support?
      And you know this how? A bit of an overstatement there, I'd say.

Some of the characters I've seen at TP rallies look like they are too brain addled to hold any kind of job.
      Families, sure.
      Keep procreating. Keep the legions of ignorant rugrats coming.
      Rah, rah, Amurikah the exceptional.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Yeah, both of you...

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not with the tea party, bro... so, guess again.

They are not conservative enough for me.

But you're not actually a conservative, so once again your post makes no sense.

Am I not?

I think you are mistaken.

You are conservative to the same degree as your lord and savior depicted in your avatar.

I think I am a lil more Conservative than ole Joe.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
              Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would classify you as more of a radical than a conservative.

I identify quite well with the Radical Republicans of the post Civil War, late 1800s.

Men on a mission to free their fellow citizens from Left-wing Democratic slavery. Who stood against the KKK and the old guard Democrat Slavers, "Dixie-crats". People forget it was the Republican party and their Conservaibve wing, and the Christian abolitionists, which fought for the Blacks and freedoomn in this nation.

And then came the infection of Progressives, a sad day in the history of the Right-wing.

More Marxist Frankfurt-School twisting and lies, made history

Thank you, Ralph.

And to think I didn't think you likeed me... but with a compliment like that.

11. Moderndayslave profile image61
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

The only thing the Tea Party got known for was Re negging on already existing contracts.Scott Walker is my bosses hero,anyone for a bowl of rice?

12. TiffanySprouts profile image58
    TiffanySproutsposted 12 years ago

Agreed.  The only consistency is the lack there of.

13. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Thought you were going swimming. "Men on a mission to free their fellow citizens from Left-wing Democratic slavery" Slave holder plantation owners were left wing.
    If not all wet ought to be.

Check the D's.

They may call Jefferson Davies a Conservative... but he was a Democrat... so consider the values he held to be conservative toward, the South was a Democrat strong-hold.

14. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

They call kill-missiles peace makers and
    now war is called kinetic military action. You have to create your own terms 'cause people will say anything.

That is why PC was implimented through the universities and mass media, to control the way the masses think about things by re-creating and re-defiing the American language.

And guess what... it works.

1. thebrucebeat profile image61
        thebrucebeatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No one knows that better than you.
        As you well know, the Dixiecrats eventually split the Democratic party in two.  The Republicans saw the opportunity to take over the south by supporting the racist element that had been rejected by the Kennedy-Johnson legislation that made them a pariah to the Democratic party.  The south has been red ever since, and the Republicans have been tainted with the reputation of having racist overtones and being the party of the white and the wealthy.  To try to characterize todays Democratic party by this history lesson is dishonest and manipulative.
        What's really funny is the abolitionists were the progressives of their day, and you don't understand that.

"the Dixiecrats eventually split the Democratic party in two"

My point exactly.

The Democrat/Dixiecrat split was not for nothing in its intent... they understood that they needed control on both sides.

So in the form of dis-affected Dems, Progressives, and others, infiltrated the Republican party and changed what it was, slowly weeding out the true conservative values of the party, and pushing the racist agenda of the Demo-Dixiecrats.

The split was intentional and made for show... then they controlled both sides of the field and could push blame in either direction as needed or desired.

This was formalized by the adotption of agendas of the FrankFurt School, more administrative in it implimentation and structured throughout our Cultural Institutions, so as to seize total control and change the America ppopulation in their thoughts and actions.

I am glad you agree... good.

And no, that is not to say there were not racists in the Republican Party to begin with... it just made the usurpation that much easier.

And I have no clue where you woulld find anything to support the South has been republican for all the time after the Civil War?

Have you never heard of the Solid South Stategy?

Solid South is the electoral support of the Southern United States for the Democratic Party candidates for nearly a century from 1877, the end of Reconstruction, to 1964, during the middle of the Civil Rights era, when they flipped the script.

----It was also the Democrats once they regained control of the Southern Legistlatures who imposed the Black codes and Jim Crow Laws.---

So... I am a lil lost as to your Republican South stance Bruce.

In was the midst of the Civil Rights Era of the 60s... at which time "the Party" knew one side or the other had to push for Civil Rights, they decided the Left should take the credit for it. Even though many in the Senate and House on the Republican side had fought for decades to gain Civil Rights for the blacks and minorities in this country.

My avatar, Joe McCarthy, even fought to gain Civil Rights for blacks and minorities and get it passed. The one in 1950 who stopped the Civil Rights Acts in the Senate from coming up for a vote and crushed it back into subcommittee, was LBJ and the Democrats, and that is a fact.

---"In 1964 Fulbright was one of a group of tenacious Democrats who filibustered for fifty-seven days in an attempt to block the Civil Rights Act that outlawed segregation in public accommodations."---

J. William Fulbright: Enemy of Joseph McCarthy and Equal Rights

http://historyhalf.com/race-and-party-p … ice-black/

--"Justice Hugo Black: KKK Member and New Deal Liberal

Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black is another left winger who doesn’t fit the stereotypes that liberal historians have so carefully constructed. In 1923, at the age of thirty-seven, he joined the Ku Klux Klan. Three years later he was elected to the US Senate."----

And then when it suit the agenda and could be used to re-established the party's reputation, along with that of the Communists and other far Leftists, and at the same time make Conservatives look like racists by having the Right fight it. The script was penned and the parts were played.

All a big game Bruce.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1523692/posts

And true Republicans and Conservatives have been being betrayed by the Progressives in our ranks ever since.

But you Leftists always try to dispute and obfuscate as to who was and is who...

http://historyhalf.com/category/national-socialism/

You misread what I wrote.  I said the south has been Republican since the split away from the Dixiecrats, not since the Civil War.  Where did you get that?
            I did say that the Republicans were  the progressives back then, the very movement you find so abhorrant, and yet you rave that the Republicans were the ones fighting for civil rights.
            Make up your mind.  Do you think progressives are something to hold in high esteem or to villify?  Or does it change with the whim of political convenience for you?

You know exactly what I said, Bruce.

The infection of the Right, came from the Leftists... Dixiecrat/Democrat split, Progressive movement, etc... which infiltrated and destroyed the Right wing, pushing it in effect to the Left, and past the center as of today.

Yes, the history books penned by the Liberal academics will call the radical Republican the "Progressives of their day", but that is false. Just because you want to co-opt a good thing and call it progressive and those who did it progressive... does not make it so.

For too long the Liberals who write the history texts have taken the liberty of calling any and all things which are "Progress" within a society.... to be "Progressive"... and claim owner-ship of those who did the deeds. One does not equate to the other... not in any way shape of form.

It is a joke!

Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Consider this quote from a republican as an illustration of how party labels (democrat & republican) are only relevant in a historical context.

“No man should receive a dollar unless that dollar has been fairly earned. Every dollar received should represent a dollar's worth of service rendered - not gambling in stocks, but service rendered. The really big fortune, the swollen fortune, by the mere fact of its size, acquires qualities which differentiate it in kind as well as in degree from what is possessed by men of relatively small means. Therefore, I believe in a graduated income tax on big fortunes, and in another tax which is far more easily collected and far more effective, a graduated inheritance tax on big fortunes, properly safeguarded against evasion, and increasing rapidly in amount with the size of the estate.”

Teddy Roosevelt - republican president

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/stevenwaldman … z1RiJTJ2Ms

Founder of the "Bull Moose" Progressive party... exactly my point.

C'mon Doug.

You never cease to amaze me.

Why are you negatively responding to him?  He's agreeing with you, that party labels are relative and historically time sensitive.

2. thebrucebeat profile image61

Pursuing a progressive agenda doesn't make one a progressive?  Is that your point?
                Fascinating.
                Bizarre, but fascinating.

Pursuing an agenda that represents progress... is not necessarily being a "Progressive"... not how you all mean it.

I just figured out - if you can't find a picture of Genghis Khan, McCarthy, is the next best thing.

2. thebrucebeat profile image61

Actually, that's exactly what it means.  Moving forward.

15. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 12 years ago

Anybody can cherry pick a poll to reflect what they want to see.

What does this post mean, or refer to?

It means he's in denial of not one but two scientific polls that disagree with his teabagger mentality.

2. American View profile image62

Here is what he means Here is a different poll with a different result. Now truth be told, polls on the teagaggers going back into 2010, in every poll they have had a disapproval rating. I read numerous polls from many different sources, I could not find one that gave the tea party a positive approval rating. Yet, look what happened during the mid-term elections.

Republican voices in the Senate, the tea party movement's disapproval ratings have reached a new high, according to a new ABC/Washington Post poll.
      Fifty-two percent of the US public had an unfavorable view of "the political movement known as the Tea Party," the survey found, as opposed to only 35 PERCENT WHO APPROVED.
      "Nearly three-quarters of Democrats -- including as many moderate and conservative as liberal members of the party -- have negative views of the political movement, as do half of all independents," the Post reported.
      The same poll conducted in September found that 45 percent disapproved of the movement, while 36 PERCENT SUPPORTED IT. Last March, its favorable rating exceeded its negative by a margin of 41 to 39 percent.
      Current Poll approval=35%  Old Poll-36%    WOW real drop a whole 1 %

I find it hard to believe any citation from you without a link to the original source.

1. American View profile image62

Thats a laugh coming from you. The source is cited,as always, in the response(ABC/Washington Post poll). But as always you refuse to accept anything that proves your statements wrong.  You refuse to believe what the links tell you as fact and then you attack instead of admitting you are wrong. What you say is Irrelevant.

I read what you have it quotation marks, but given your history, I have no reason to expect that's what the real poll says.

Which is why I will always ask for a link back and point anyone who is curious to my post about lies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)