Missing summary alert

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (58 posts)
  1. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I've just noticed little As in my hub list, indicating which ones do not have summaries.

That is REALLY useful!

Thank you HP Team! smile

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No it's not - it's scary! I have at least four hundred 'A' marks! Noooooooooooo!

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For a minute I thought someone had read them and thought they were good- oh thats a little bubble that got popped!

1. 2besure profile image80
          2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL, that crossed my mind too!

2. Pamela N Red profile image84
          Pamela N Redposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Case1Worker, I thought the same thing. I thought, yay, I got all A's. lol Now I gotta go do more work. Rats!

2. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have this as well, is it compulsory that we add one?

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No its not compulsory but it is advisable. The summary is known out there as the meta description tag. Lots of people don't use them, but sites with one seem to have an edge on the competition (unless they are slapped, like me!)

1. Richieb799 profile image75
            Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah meta description can help I think, I'll try if I ever have a day to go through nearly 300 hubs LOL

2. WoodsmensPost profile image62
          WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure but I thought we had auto summary then with the new changes we were told you could add a unique summary if to like otherwise the first 156 characters of the hub would be considered the summary. Do we now need to add one to the ones with the "A" confusion is setting in hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87

The summary used to be automatic, but Hubpages quietly changed that feature a few months ago. Now you need to actually write a summary. If you don't, in general the first sentence of your hub is used instead, but it no longer counts as a meta description tag.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image62

AAaa ok it no longer counts. Any good webmaster knows you gotta have the meta tag. I just kept ignoring the fact that it wasn't showing up. Little more work to do on these hubs. Good thing I'm on salary or I'd have to charge HP overtime rate to update. Oh well those who have 400 just take your time it's not like they all have to be done at once. smile thanks

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
                pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people think that having a meta description that is distinct from the text of the page (as opposed to auto generated from the page) is a positive signal to search engines.  We still auto-generate summaries for use internally on HubPages as needed, they just aren't used as the meta description (as of a few months ago).

You can learn more about meta descriptions from Google.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image62

Thank you pauldeeds I appreciate your response. smile have a great afternoon !!!

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have far too many too. 

I understood it when HubPages decided to stop auto-creating summaries, but it was a bit inconsiderate to make it retrospective, IMO.

1. IzzyM profile image87

And they didn't actually inform us of the changes either. Luckily some of use software that detected it.

2. Bob Ewing profile image65
          Bob Ewingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, new hubs fine, going back more than 3 months or to the date when the change was made, foolish.

2. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second that as I have been trying to work out which of my hubs were missing a summary, this makes it much easier. It might be good news for traffic too to have up to date summaries. I think I started to forget to add them when the summary,group etc. where moved to the side instead of at the top of the hub I was writing.

3. ChameleonContent profile image60
      ChameleonContentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Including additional descriptions, tags, meta information and alternate text always helps improve search engine indexing, internal site searches and overall online visibility.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

This is a helpful feature.  (Although it was better when the summaries were automatic...and would have been better still if the existing auto-summaries had not been deleted!) ...

However, I've been trying to tweak and edit my hubs, and add summaries, and keeping track of which ones I've done and which not has been giving me fits because of the way the articles bounce all over the list like a yo-yo, and are never in the same order as they were when I left off for the day...

So, thanks, HP for adding a feature that helps keep track, for those with "missing summaries," (whether not originally written, or whether deleted at the Panda changeover), are also the ones I'm tweaking in other ways. 

wink

1. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Won't the A disappear when you have added a summery?

2. Pamela N Red profile image84

DzyMsLizzy, I agree. I purposely wrote all my hubs so that the first paragraph was a good summary. Now I have a lot of work to do.

3. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just a hint, Dzy - before making changes to a large number of hubs you might sort them by publication date.  That never changes, so when you quit, just make a note of the last hub and date.  When you return you can simply resort them the same way and then just go on with the list.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OooooHHHhhh...  thanks, wilderness... I didn not know that..  ;-)

3. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

Wait, will I be penalized for not having summaries? Is there like summary capsule or something? I mean, I sort of introduce what I am going to discuss...

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When YOU do a search, will you click a link that doesn't have a small blurb about what it is?

You really need  "hook" to show up on the search to draw people in.

1. Pamela N Red profile image84

As it is, you only see HubPages information on joining instead of your story's synopsis.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you go into Edit, you'll notice on the far right a 'summary' heading, click on it and add your summary.
      As far as I understand, it's more for Google indexing so it (is Google an it?) knows what your hub is about. Searches will still bring up the closest, matching text to the search query.

Nice feature. I thought I had aced a number of hubs. Thanks HP.

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I think this is pointless for poetry. Especially short poetry. I am not writing a summary for a haiku

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have written a summary for The Inheritance Tales, but that is a long narrative poem after Chaucer so there was a need for a summary. I've added one to one other poetry hub-Dedicated to a Beloved Tabby, asking people to check out The Chilliwack Animal Safe Haven society where I adopted Amy. However, I agree that it is helpful for articles for people who have large numbers of hubs. I just hate the thought of someone like Epigramman  having an A next to everything he has ever written.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree--I'm not going to bother for my older hubs that are mostly poems.  I do hope this is not mandatory!

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

The point is that if a Hub is too short to justify a summary, it's too short to be a Hub.  And although poetry is a special case, it does also apply to poetry.

A very short Hub (under 250 words) is likely to be ignored by Google, so it will never get any readers apart from other Hubbers, so there's not much point in bothering to publish it. 

If your goal is to attract readers, it's better to combine several poems into one Hub.  That's easier to do than you may think - you could group the poems by topic, for instance, and separate them by using images or decorative dividers.

It's not hard to created dividers:  enlightenedsoul uses them quite often, here's a random example:

http://englightenedsoul.hubpages.com/hu … stmas-2010

I disagree. If I want to publish a haiku with pictures of my cat  that inspired  the poem, I see a point for me to publish it as a stand alone poem and  I'll do it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

If you choose to publish it as a standalone, it's your privilege.  I'm just trying to help you by pointing out that virtually no one will ever see it - but if that's OK with you, that's fine.

I added one anyway. And thank-you.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Very helpful. I had previously gone through and tried to make sure all had unique summaries, but the "A" told me I had missed six or seven.

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Fabulous. Thanks HP team.

6. lisabeaman profile image69
    lisabeamanposted 12 years ago

Wow! Thanks for sharing this... I have a lot of missing summaries! Looks like I have some work to do!

7. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 12 years ago

Thank you for the "A" symbol, HP Team. I’ve been adding custom summaries to my articles, but I missed a few. The “A” is very helpful for indicating which articles I still need to summarize.

8. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

I started this morning going through my hubs and adding summaries to those hubs I knew were missing summaries before the "A's" showed up.  I guess I was reading someone's mind!  big_smile  But I also thought that I'd share that I also noticed my "hubber" score up shortly after I did this.  So maybe this is a more important feature than many of us forget or leave out.

9. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 12 years ago

so the summary must always be at the start of the hub?this will mean more work  to do and time to spend, thanks for a thread like this really very informative.

1. IzzyM profile image87

No summaries are separate from the hubs. You can leave them out if you want to as well. It is not a lot more work. Two sentences!! Come on!

1. Maria Cecilia profile image84
        Maria Ceciliaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the info, i've seen the summary box

10. bestcheap profile image61
    bestcheapposted 12 years ago

Are the summaries really required? Are they useful? Has anyone seen any benefits from applying them?

1. IzzyM profile image87

yes if you are serious about attracting traffic, yes and yes.

But bestcheap, you need to write some hubs first!

1. Maria Cecilia profile image84
        Maria Ceciliaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

it's easier than I expected,  I have done summary to some of my hubs and the "A"  thing disappeared instantly

11. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 12 years ago

The "A"'s on all my hubs were only the second thing I noticed when I looked at my account a few minutes ago. The first thing were the many red arrows and the unusually high traffic. I'm wondering if I should tamper with my hubs and write summaries considering that they're doing a lot better than usual.

12. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

Do I really have add a summary for poetry?  Aren't readers supposed to create their own summary's for creative writing?

13. Madurai profile image57
    Maduraiposted 12 years ago

well. first I thought that my page has been marked as "Adults only" category.. then only I realized and slowly i am editing all my hubs with summary..

14. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 12 years ago

All the "A" signs instantly gone, although I have made summaries to at least 8 hubs only... I thought the sign will not go unless summaries have been made

15. miccimom profile image60
    miccimomposted 12 years ago

I also had all A's next to my Hubs.  OMG!  Luckily I only hve 18 hubs at this time, so going back to them and adding a summary wasn't quite so bad.  But for those of you that do have like a 100 Hubs, oh geesh!

16. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

Those little 'A's freaked me out at first.  Now I just have a bunch of work to do...writing all those summaries!!!  OMG!!!!  Oh, well...hopefully it will bring in more traffic if I do, though I have also seen a nice jump in traffic lately!  So happy about that!

17. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I did notice that my hubs that have been getting the highest traffic all along have original summaries. The A's are mostly in the lower 3rd of my hubs arranged by traffic.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wish there was a count of 'A' - I wrote about 50 summaries today! Discouraging to see sooooo many left! It would be nice to see a number getting smaller!

18. jcmayer777 profile image63
    jcmayer777posted 12 years ago

My A's are gone, but I only wrote summaries for a handful of them.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't question success.

19. Sneha Sunny profile image85
    Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years ago

I need to write summary for my 19 hub, so that's not a problem. I actually came to hubpages knowlegde exchange forums to ask the same question. I just want to know where to write the summary. As in, should I just add a new text on the top and write down a small summary or some other way is there?? actually I did wrote a summary in one of my hub and saved that but when I refreshed the account page I saw the same A symbol on that hub. So, will it take time to get removed?? How much time will it take to get removed??

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Choose one of your hubs and select 'edit'.  On the right side under the capsules, you will see a box with blue-colored words that say "reorder, tags, settings, summary". Click on "summary" and a box will come up where you can type in two or three sentences.
      When you are finished, select finished editing-- and go to the next hub.
      I don't know how long it will take to get the 'A' removed-- but not long, I think.

20. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Oh man! I had over 50 that needed a summary! "A" is for Summary Nightmare! But once I got rolling it went pretty smooth. It also gave me a chance to do any updating and revising as I went along. It was a pain, but worth it in the end...
    VERY glad it is all done now hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)