Height: a Touchy Issue for Women

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (62 posts)
  1. apeksha profile image66
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

I am now 25 and 5'4" and If i wan  to increase my ht now is that possible..I have asked to doctor but they says its only possible for grls before 20..

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stop replying to spammers and keeping their links intact.

2. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I am 5'3 and proud of my height smile.  My great grandmother was 4'10 and my great aunt was 4'11.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, basically you are considered tall in your family smile I'm 5'3 also...and a quarter smile

1. lisafwg01 profile image59
        lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Goodness, I feel like the Jolly Green Giant here, just as I do in my own family. I'm adopted, and at not quite 5'8" I tower over my Mom (whom we say is 5', but is actually under), my Sister (5'2") my Brother (5'4 and a bit) and my Dad (who has shrunk considerably from his original 5'9"). My Sister and Brother are my parents bio-kids and they get their height from them.

2. apeksha profile image66
        apekshaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am 5'4" still wan be tall
        neutral
        :0

3. countrywomen profile image58
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am taller than my mother who is 5 feet and I am 5" 3' (although I wish I was 2 inches taller). I always felt taller women could carry more weight unlike me(even a few extra pounds tend to show immediately). But now I guess I am used to my height. Btw I don't appreciate somebody I don't know personally telling me that I am inadequate because of my height. smile

2. apeksha profile image66

tongue

3. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Actually I forgot to mention I am shorter than my dad, my mom, and my sisters.  However, I take after the women on my dad's side of the family, who are all about my height.  This was just one of the weirdest spam threads to be honest, and all it does is prey upon the insecurities a few women may have about their body.

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Do people actually sell such crap?  Really?

I never thought that hard about this.  And actually, the above 'stats' are wrong.  Average height in the US for a woman is 5'4."
    Which, incidentally, is what I am. 

Never felt really short, never felt very tall.  And I wear heels 9 times out of 10 anyway.

5. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Isn't it pathetic that people marketing crap will use the technique of trying to make people feel bad about what they are.  It's one thing when you're an adult and see these things for what they are.  It's another if you're an insecure teen (and most of are), and someone is willing to take advantage of that.

The average height range for women is something like 5' 2" to 5' 6", with 5' 4" the "absolute average".  As long as petite women resign themselves to never becoming "super models", being within the average range is nice.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

So we should wear high heels and vertical stripes?? Wow waht great advice, never would have thought of it-- then we take some magic tonic or something?
    I think I'll pass. I'm even through with the heels since I'm about 5'8", and it doesn't really matter one way or another.
    edit: Oh good it's gone-- except for the copy.

7. Lisa HW profile image61

and vertical stripes are such an appealing look to boot.   smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As long as the 'boots' have high heels.

8. Laughing Mom profile image61
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

I have no problem at all being 5'4". I've been that height most of my life. I've never had anyone really hassle me about it, but I figure we're all as God made us.
    Would I feel differently if it had been a source of torment by others? Perhaps. I don't know.
    But it seems like a very petty thing for people to judge others by.

9. Raven King profile image60
    Raven Kingposted 14 years ago

That is a surprise.  You should live in Texas, they worship the shorties. I'm about 5'10 and that was never a plus or a minus. I think they love shorties in hollywood too.
    If they don't appreciate you just move on.

Agreed its true Just neglect people who asks u abt ht...

10. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

My partner is 5'3" and I am 6'4", so you should not worry about height! Petite is beautiful. wink

My girlfriend at university was 5' - made for some interesting photographs smile

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

See!  Another advantage.  We can go for guys a variety of heights and it doesn't matter...  My current guy is 6,' which is just fine.  My grad school boyfriend was 5'8," though, and it was fine, too. He was still 4 inches taller than me!
      smile

1. countrywomen profile image58

I think it is a problem which cuts both ways. One of my cousin was  5" 5' and even girls who were 5"3' tend to have reservations about marriage proposals with our family. I have spoken to some of my friends and they all seem to like taller guys(even though we ourselves may not be tall). Now he is happily married(and his wife is 5"1'). He was one of the funniest cousins with a great sense of humor besides being brilliant in studies. smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is an expression which asserts: "Good things come in small packages".

Rochelle- Well that's good one for those of us who are still seeking those few extra vertical inches. Now I am happy with my height and only worry about horizontal inches gaining around me...LOL wink

2. Sufidreamer profile image79
            Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That expression has been a great comfort to me over the years.

2. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, not me.  Within reason.  A guy 5'6,5'7,5'8 is just fine...  I only ever went out (extremely briefly, and that mainly for other reasons) with one guy I felt was 'too' short--and he WAS, for me--I'm small enough already.  He made me feel like I was a huge monster or that I was going out with a little kid or something, as he was an inch or 2 shorter than me and I mean TINY.  Long story--don't even ask--another bad dating experience, lol...  He was on a large bicycle when I met him.  God.  The whole thing is funny now.

Well I agree height shouldn't be an issue but I read somewhere that taller people earn more as they are perceived to some how have the leadership qualities. I agree those who have "ego or complexes" then it is altogether another problem. I was just mentioning about my sweet cousin and my views (which are strictly based on his individual case and can't be generalized). smile

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sufi, I love short girls too smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image79

big_smile

They are the best.

Mind you, I don't have much choice smile

1. VioletSun profile image80
          VioletSunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You and your sweetie must look cute together. smile It's interesting, I never considered height would be an issue with women, none of my friends of varying heights ever complained about their height, we were more obsessed with weight.

Thanks!

There you go - you can see that there is a little bit of a height difference big_smile

http://eccentric-englishman.com/images/martyn_and_denny.JPG

1. profile image0
              nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Such a cute, cheerful couple! smile

2. VioletSun profile image80
              VioletSunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was just about to sign off but decided to check this forum, and aaaw, you two look so good together. Made my heart expand. smile

3. apeksha profile image66

Oh! nice couple...
              U dont hesitate to tell about that height disparity...so good...

11. Lisa HW profile image61

My father was fairly short for a man, and all my girlfriends AND their mothers used to talk about how "handsome" or "attractive" he was.  I know it wasn't particularly his preference to be among the shorter men, but apparently it wasn't the "end of the world" as far as his "appeal" went.  Height (lots of it or not much of it) doesn't determine appeal.

(One thing that my old fashioned, short, father of mine always used to say was, "Watch out for stuff sold from some countries.  They don't care about our kids or our health.  You don't know what they put in stuff.  All they care about is making money."  He's been gone for decades, but I couldn't resist putting his "advice" on this particular post.)

12. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Can't see that height is a big deal, really. My immediate family's pretty tall - I'm 5 ft 7, and my father, mother, brother, and one of my sisters are all taller than me. The other sister is 5 ft 4, but it doesn't seem to have ruined her life thus far!

I've got a great photo showing my mother as a child, aged about 6, with my grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-great-grandmother. My Granny is a good deal taller than the rest, which is odd, as I know she never topped 5 ft 3 even in her prime.

13. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I always say quality is more important that quantity (I'm 5ft 3in too)

14. Hope Alexander profile image68
    Hope Alexanderposted 14 years ago

I can't say I have ever thought about my height as being an issue (5'7) - perhaps because I'm about average? Women usually worry about the size of various assets and relative proportion of curvy features rather than height, surely. I've certainly never heard of a woman being unattractive because she was short.. have a friend who is really short, maybe 5'2 or so and she never had any problem with guys. Being blonde, blue eyed and cute may have helped with that also...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to worry about being short when I was a teenager - but then I worried about everything to do with my appearance as a teenager!

As an adult, I've never given my height much thought - until I joined an online dating site a few years ago. Members could create a standard search profile, including things like height, weight, hair and eye colour, interests, location, etc etc.  I was incensed to discover that almost all men (even short ones) set the minimum height for their prospective partner at 5ft 4in!  Nearly all men (even old ones) set the maximum age at 49.  So I wouldn't even make it into the search results!  The solution was simple of course - I deducted one year from my age and added one inch to my height, and you can bet none of the guys noticed...

15. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I've always quite liked being on the shorter side. I'm 5'2" and 3/4 lol

16. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

Ladies, I am sure each and every one of you is adorable. I am a man who would never presume to judge a lady with regards to her height - it is irrelevant! I just find it so amusing to find women talking on a forum about "size" in "this" respect. smile

17. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I am 5'8 n my sons are 6' + tongue lol n they call me shorty tongue wink lol ... thank you Gordon, very kind of you to share with us.

18. bgpappa profile image80
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Giant:  I am six foot five.  If only I could jump

19. Profmaggy profile image61
    Profmaggyposted 14 years ago

Actually it is possible to increase your height but not by much.  I teach yoga and my students grow an average of 1/2 to 1 inch in the first year.
    It's due in part to correct posture and stronger muscles enabling space to occur within the body and the spine.
    The students were astounded when the first student to report this came back from her annual physical.  They have all found this to be true for themselves now.
    My students are dedicated (1-3 times per week) and range from 24 to 80 years so the height growth does not happen for someone who only does yoga say once a month.

20. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Bgpappa ...what did your parents feed you? I had to feed steaks to my sons..still do lol lol

21. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

No, it cannot be generalized.  And, well, besides the fact this guy turned out to be a weirdo (the story is so funny, but I'm not going to relate it here), he WAS too short for me.  I couldn't be attracted to a guy who looked like a little kid and had smaller feet than me...  I know that might be bad of me, but, ?  That's what I felt like.

But I believe there is a big difference with people in the actual normal range and those who really are very very short, etc.

22. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Well it is an issue-- but then there was a rather short guy: Napoleon. On the other hand, the Saul was chosen as king  of Israel because he was tall.

23. Moonchild60 profile image75
    Moonchild60posted 14 years ago

Well, well, well...I am 5 ft 3 and clearly in very good company!!  I always say I never wanted to be tall and I prayed to God when I was 9 or 10 to please let me be short and cute....now when I tell people that I say I must have prayed too hard....But I like my height.  My son is 6 ft. 1 inch tall, I have no clue how that happened, but when I need things from the upper shelves I just ask him.

24. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

5 ft. 3 and 3/4" but I always just say 5'4".  One of my grandmas barely reached 5' and my great grandmother was 4'11" in her prime.

My daughters are my height, a teensy bit shorter, and my son is 6'.

We really haven't had any probs regarding height, aside from not being able reach things up high ourselves.

25. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Shirley, love your new pic smile

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72
      Shirley Andersonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Misha.  I get tired of looking at the same one after awhile. smile

26. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

I am 5 ft 7in tall and I comfortable with my height. My immediate family is tall, but most of my cousins are not.

27. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

Sufidreamer: I love that necklace your s/o is wearing, my style!

28. Sufidreamer profile image79

Thanks Nazish - it was my little sister's wedding, so it was a good day.

Cheers Violetsun - I think that I bought that in Monemvasia - an old Greek town with lots of nice craft shops.

29. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Lovely photo, was that taken in Preston or Greece?????

30. Sufidreamer profile image79

Hi Brenda - at the registry office in Lancaster - my wee sister's wedding!

31. profile image0

your wee sister.... so she is younger or not as tall or both..

Both, although my wee sister is also tall - we are from a tall family! I have two nephews who are already as tall as me, and they are only 17 and 18.

32. profile image0

Sounds like you could have a basketball team in your family..
       Have you drunk any freshly squeezed oranges from the tree this morning.......??????

We did indeed - fresh orange and a pasta salad for brunch.

Apeksha - just goes to show - these height programs are the biggest scam of all. Height is irrelevant when compared to a beautiful smile or sparkling eyes smile

Thats true..I agree....
        It all varies from person toperson..I think u are good humanbeing...
        smile

33. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 14 years ago

I'm 5'2", but I've never really wanted to be taller since most of the men I know aren't that tall. I do want to be thinner though.  I'm 115 pounds and I want to lose 10-15 pounds. smile Anybody have any weight-loss secrets? tongue

34. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

At 5 ft 2 and 8 stone 3lb, your BMI is about 21 - lower end of the healthy range (18.5 to 25).

If you lost 15lb, and were 7 stone 2lb, your BMI would be below 18.5, and underweight rather than healthy.

35. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I do not think as height being a touchy issue, I am barely 5'3" if I stretch it, and I love it smile

I like wearing high heels but it is not to look taller, I just like it! Even more I love to be shorter -even wearing high heels- than the men I go out with. I would hate to be taller and go out with someone my own size or worst even, with someone shorter than me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)