Is it ok not to be ok?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. tata22 profile image60
    tata22posted 12 years ago

When you know that when you follow your heart it will not be ok...is it ok not to be ok?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you say 'follow your heart' are you talking about some avocation, interest or talent?  Or are you talking about following your lust? which is often mistaken for your heart. 

Anytime you follow your lust there is the danger of hurting or being hurt, even ruining lives.  Anytime you follow your passion, heart, talent, you will always grow in the right direction.  If you think you will hurt someone by doing this, those people who will make you feel guilty need to learn also.

tata22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks couturepopcafe.  You have a point though I'm not talking here about lust - it's the last thing on my mind. lol.  I guess what I'm trying to say in this question is, when you follow your heart's desires and you feel guilty because most people will criticize and will not accept it and it's not ok with them...is it worth the try?

2. betterstuff profile image60
      betterstuffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

may be not  or for good

3. gabgirl12 profile image61
      gabgirl12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I followed my heart recently. And I wasn't ok for awhile, but in the end it did turn out ok. I have peace. I think thats where you need to measure when following a feeling. Right or wrong is relative to the times. And it changes, and even then most people don't agree. So go with what brings you peace. I think for a long time I was 'follower'. I did what everyone told me and I wasn't happy. Finally I did something for myself, and they weren't very happy about it. I was put to shame, discouraged and basically told I wasn't going to anywhere as 'thats a crazy idea', but hey...I have peace and I dont regret my decision one bit even if it cost me a few tears.

Thanks for that very good and inspiring message gab.  I think you're right.  I'll make decisions which will give me peace of mind. ^_^

4. brandasaur profile image60
      brandasaurposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your mind's telling you that ITS NOT OKAY. Weigh your options. Sometimes mind is what we need to to use in making decisions. Thats why brain is placed higher than our heart smile

2. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I you follow your heart and it will not be okay, then it can only cause misery in the end, to you and whom ever else is involved. What you do must be something you are prepared to live with or deal with.

Thank you Cardisa.

1. Sneha Sunny profile image85
        Sneha Sunnyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, do what will not give you pain or struggle later, if you already know that whatever you're going to do is not going to work.

Thanks Sunny.  Sometimes following what your heart desires will truly make you happy.  But sometimes its hard to follow your heart because you know most people will not understand.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Sounds like you are asking is it OK to violate or ignore your ethical or moral standards.  The answer is NO - it demeans you and makes you less than you could be.  It opens the door for more rationalization and future incidents - it gives you future reason to do whatever you want irrespective of what you know to be right or wrong.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image73
      Mikel G Robertsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  The human race has an almost unbelievable propensity and ability to rationalize - we can find acceptable reasons for whatever we want to do.  The ends justify the means.

It is something in us that needs fought at every twist and turn of life's winding path.

2. tata22 profile image60

Thanks Wilderness. Someone told me almost the same thought you have.  When you know deep down you're not doing the right thing then stop.  Because when you keep doing things beyond your ethical and moral standards, time will come that you can't discern what's right from wrong. 

Thanks for reminding me these things wilderness.

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I guess it all depends on what "not Ok" means.  If "not Ok" means you want to be a serial killer, then I'd have to say no.  But if it means something like you are challenged in some way either physically or mentally or that you see the world with a different point of view that is not harmful to yourself or anyone else, then I'd say sure, it's perfectly OK to not be OK

Yes you're right Disturbia.  I think "not OK" is subjective.  What is ok with others might not be with some.  It always depends on how we understand things and accept them as right or wrong.  So long as you don't do harm to anyone and you're happy with it, then there's no reason not to follow your heart.

5. miss butterfly profile image60
    miss butterflyposted 12 years ago

Your heart will never want to follow something that is "Not Ok"...

Maybe you're right Ms Butterfly.  Because in the end, it's you who'll gonna suffer the hurt.

6. tobey100 profile image62
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Huh?  I loved to chime in on this one but I don't understand the question.  Are you saying even though you know it's gonna turn out bad is it ok to do it anyway?  Wanna buy a good used car?

Thanks Tobey.  I think what I'm trying to say is, is it ok to be happy and be hurt in the end?hahaha...

1. tobey100 profile image62
        tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say yes!  I think it'd be worth it.

Thanks Tobey. ^_^

7. miss butterfly profile image60
    miss butterflyposted 12 years ago

Just like you gabgirl12...I too have begun to do things for myself rather than doing what everyone else wants me to do.  I find that these days I am much more happier than I have ever been.  Sometimes following your heart means doing things they may not seem "okay" to others. In the end, we all have to face our decisions and choices. I like to look back and smile at all the choices I have made...even if those choices were not the most popular :-)

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Ok is in the eye of the beholder.

1. billabongbob profile image66
      billabongbobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And we are all very good at fooling ourselves when it suits us wink

9. billabongbob profile image66
    billabongbobposted 12 years ago

I followed my heart and stuck to it for 2 decades, biiiiiig mistake. As of today I am free, my divorce is final. I spent 20 years not being ok, but now I'm returning to who I really am and wish I had done it years ago.

10. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Maybe you are worried about social acceptance, (friends, family) it depends on the setting and culture you are in, just try to tell them that this is your call.

You live and you always learn. Life is a big gamble, you will never know the outcome of things, just always live by your values, then prepare for the consequences sp. if they are negative.

Thanks for that ms pretty...I like your line "Life is a big gamble, you will never know what the outcome of things, just always live by your values..."  This is true. While it is true that all things happen for a reason, it is on how we perceive things that are happening around us and how we respond to them.  We just need to make sure not to do anything beyond our boundaries (ethics and moral values). big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)