Anyone seeing a Christmas traffic downturn?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (63 posts)
  1. CyclingFitness profile image92
    CyclingFitnessposted 12 years ago

It's my first Christmas on hubpages

Should I expect a potential traffic downturn?

CF

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For the month of December mine has been peaking like crazy, but since yesterday it is starting to go down, down, down. I hope it doesn't go too low.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote one Christmas-related Hub at the beginning of the month, figuring I'd pick up some seasonal traffic. It ended up petering out after about a week and has been out performed by two horror movie Hubs that I wrote after it. Go figure. Guess I'm better off writing about what I know.

Wait until next year. The ones I wrote last year really got the traffic this year.

3. USHISTORY4YOU profile image60
      USHISTORY4YOUposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it gets any slower,I'll have to send them money.

4. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have You Removed the Large Tree that seems to be blocking your back entrance?  sad

1. CyclingFitness profile image92
        CyclingFitnessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

? How do you mean?

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

Yes. Let's face it, it's hardly surprising, because most people have other things to do at Christmas instead of reading hubs!

3. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I would have to see an upturn, before I was able to see a downturn. lol

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...

2. Danette Watt profile image81
      Danette Wattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

1. Cagsil profile image72
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Danette, I've not seen an upturn in traffic nor have I seen a downturn in traffic. Most of my traffic has been holding steady in it's normal range.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

Certain categories have seasonal traffic.  Typically traffic goes down at Christmas and then comes back in January as folks get back to work and school. 

Some areas do well over the holidays like recipes though.

Happy Holidays!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am tweeting my one-and-only turkey recipe hub forthwith! smile

5. GAbaptist profile image65
    GAbaptistposted 12 years ago

Actually my traffic has quadrupled over the past week and a half. Only one of my hubs I  would consider seasonal. Can't really explain it, but I gladly accept it!! smile

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Only here has it slowed down.  My traffic elsewhere is great.

roll

2. wavegirl22 profile image50
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

and you are still here because?

3. rmcrayne profile image92
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since you deleted all of your hubs, and your oldest of your current hubs is only 2 wks old, do you really expect traffic here?

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I just checked my other article site,and it is travel, and home remodeling/decor that is getting the most traffic.  Seasonal articles are pretty well done for by now. But, it is hit and miss, you never know. Travel has always been a good one for me.  Gift ideas of any kind are also big for me.

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

A truly meandering bump..

9. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

yes, my traffic is less than half...sigh.hmm

10. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Same traffic, but the first time in two years that I have broken into the second level of Amazon commissions. Pity I will never see the money since I will not reach $100 required to get a cheque outside USA before it is all swept into the HP Ads programme.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Start a free blog, and put Amazon on it, and you will one day see your money smile

2. Cagsil profile image72

Hey Write Angled, you money will not be gone. It will still be in your account under the affiliate code in which it is now.

HP will be issuing new codes, like they did with Ebay.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem, Cags,is that I have money under my current Amazon affiliate ID. When HP moves to the new scheme, it will issue a new ID but my current earnings will not be moved into it. Unless I can find other platforms onto which I can move the hubs that having been doing well with Amazon, I will never get to the point where I can cash in those existing earnings.

Apparently you only read what you wanted to read from my statement to you. You don't have to MOVE your hubs to another location.

The money that is in your account will remain there, because HubPages is going to issue YOU a NEW ID.

That doesn't mean you have to move the hubs, because the new ID will replace the ID already in the Amazon capsules.

You will have to create in some other location- Amazon type stuff, so you can reach payout. But, you do not have to move the hubs.

But if these hubs are making Amazon sales, the simplest solution is to move them elsewhere so they can continue to earn money into my current Amazon affiliate account.

They are going to earn regardless. Which is my point.

2. Rising Caren profile image77
              Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it be easier to just use HP's new id instead of moving the hubs? Your current hubs will keep earning through HP's new amazon program. A 50$ payout (combined with HP ads - and perhaps ebay) would be easier to reach, and you can just make new material on other sites to help your current account reach the 100$ mark.

I listed above some sites you should consider.

Yes, but I have nearly $50 in the name of my current ID!!! I am not earning anything through Amazon elsewhere. Partly because I promote a better bookseller on my own site, which usually matches or beats Amazon prices and offers free delivery worldwide.

It will be far simpler to transfer hubs which have finally started to do well with Amazon to a site where I can use my existing ID rather than try to create something new which might or might not earn.

3. Rising Caren profile image77
      Rising Carenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Other websites (your own blog, squidoo, wizzley, infobarrel) will let you use your current amazon id even after HP has its eventual full switch.

Think of it as a reason to diversify your portfolio.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I only need $10 more by my reckoning to reach payout with Amazon after 3+ years. I am just praying it happens before I am forced into the new HP Amazon program, as then I would have to start writing new stuff to place on other sites. I don't want to move my Hubs right now as they are still earning for me through HP Ads, and better than I would get through Adsense if they were published elsewhere.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow! it's hard to believe you haven't made payout on Amazon in 3 years, especially with the number of hubs you have. Even with my account in the sandbox I still sell quite a few Amazon products each month.  smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89

I guess I just didn't write with a view to Amazon Randy. I put Amazon Ads on hubs after they were written as an additional way to make money. If I were writing 'sales' hubs I might have done better, but I wrote for the interest in the topic, not the earning potential. Fortunately from Adsense/HP Ads I hit on a few popular topics accidentally, and do well from them to this day, but for Amazon sales, not so much as those articles don't really 'sell' anything tangible.

Yes, but I have a lot of sales totally unrelated to the particular hub subject, Misty.  I suppose visitors click on my ads and then find something else they like.  Not long ago I sold 20 Kindles which netted me almost $200 on one sale. 

I have never advertised or wrote about a Kindlebook at all.  It pays to put some sort of related Amazon product on each hub if you can.  You'd be surprised at the unrelated items I have sold on my relatively small number of hubs.smile

sad I do try to put related products on my hubs, but I only get a few cents here and there, nothing significant. I do actually have a digital book reader hub, and I don't think it has ever sold a kindle yet! (one of the few hubs I wrote with sales in mind). Don't get me wrong, I do make sales, but they generate tiny amounts of money because of the nature of the articles. Pretty much like you said, I need people who click on one of my Amazon Ads and then buy lots of other unrelated stuff instead (hint hint, only need $10 to hit payout lol).

Don't get me wrong, most of my sales are related to the hubs, but not all of them.  I do sell quite a few $80 plus items on a couple of related hubs and some $700+ items on others.  The commissions add up quickly on those large items.  But as I said earlier, Google has me sandboxed at the moment so I'll only make about $50 or so this month on Amazon unless something changes soon.  smile

I guess another thing that makes a difference is which setting you opt for in Amazon with regards to earnings. Because the items I was selling were usually low value items I was not earning much although I was selling quite a few bits and pieces, so I changed by setting from 'Classic' to 'Performance'. Classic is a flat rate of 4% but Performance is the 4 to 8.5% rate depending on volume. I did notice my earnings went up when I did this, although still not by a great deal more.

11. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 12 years ago

I'm seeing it. My traffic has been going up since October. Reached its peak last week and now it's down by 25%. Still higher than October but I'm expecting it to go down to pre - October levels. Hope it will not go down that much though smile.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image61

In 2 wks elsewhere earnings are 5 times more  than here.

1. wavegirl22 profile image50
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

LindaSmith1 - Again I ask you. .. . why are you still here?

Wow, if I were you I would be 'elsewhere' .

Just think you could be getting a head start on all the other elsewherer's

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
        Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All the time people spend on the forums complaining, they could be out doing something constructive and making money...

2. rmcrayne profile image92
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is "elsewhere" content also sparse (you only have 4 hubs), and </= 2 weeks old?

13. Garrett Mickley profile image78
    Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years ago

My traffic has done nothing but go up.  Even during the whole panda debacle, my traffic has always slowly increased, until this month.  I've shot up 1500+ more hits a day just in the last 2 weeks.

Of course, I try to go for non-seasonal stuff that gets searched year round, but that's just my plan.

A lot of people are busy and don't have time to be browsing the internet.  Last December was my best month of last year, and this December is my best month of this year by 500%.

14. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

All my business related stuff is way down, but that is to be expected as who wants to talk about work during Christmas!!!! Most of my searches appear to come from people during work time, one of the reasons my views drop significantly at the weekends also.... Not too worried - maybe next year I will do a few more christmas shopping type hubs to compensate!

15. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

My traffic is down by 25% now. I am hoping that it is due to the Holidays and weekend and nothing serious. Even my Adsense was the lowest today.

16. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Without relying on adsense

Your total earnings this month (December):$15.69
    60,203 views total         477 views Yesterday

LOL all the way to the bank.  Simple, I moved my hubs.

17. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Traffic is falling rapidly, down about 1/3 from peak values.  I don't expect much change until after Christmas, and don't really look to see those peak values again for a couple of months.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...I'm really dreading Jan. and Feb. on HP. After amazing earnings in Nov. and Dec., winter will be bleak.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

At least it shouldn't turn into what happened last winter with the intro of Panda..
        It will be cold and people are online. I've definitely had my best months this last half of the year. I know what I'll be writing for next Christmas.

I'm sure on Christmas weekend, we're going to see lots of blue on our account page!
        They're starting to appear now.

BTW, Merry Christmas and enjoy the holidays, hubbers. smile

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes - that was terrible when Panda kicked in.  Everyone kept saying traffic would return from Xmas in mid January,  then early Feb., then mid February, but min didn't.  I had just one week of increasing traffic and Boom!  The Panda took everything away.

Habee, I've already written off January and probably February.  Maybe that will keep me sane during those months when earnings drop from their stratospheric current levels to near nothing.

1. habee profile image93
            habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol. At least I'll have my Amazon earnings from November and December to look forward to.

18. LindaSmith1 profile image61

December is over, essentially, then New Year's next week.  Lots of ideas there. 

But next big holidays are very close:   Valentines Day, Easter, Then Mother's Day.      Money tight this year, those who did less spending  and didn't buy the gift for somebody they wanted to buy, may very well be waiting for one of the above holidays or birthdays.

19. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I haven't tried it yet, but soldiers are coming home. So, what about articles about welcome home parties, etc.

20. peepingtomb profile image66
    peepingtombposted 12 years ago

Oddly enough my blog is seeing a surge (which normally gets little traffic) and HP has all but stalled.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have the opposite.  Personal sites are down but HP is up.

21. profile image0
    SirDentposted 12 years ago

Mine is actually about normal for the start of the weekend.  In fact, my usual downturn started a day early but staying true to normal as it has been in the past.

22. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

Last week, I was up around 200 views a day, the highest I have ever been here. This week it's been less than 50 a day and lower the closer to Christmas I get.

23. alipuckett profile image70
    alipuckettposted 12 years ago

Traffic always slows down for me the week before Christmas until after the New Year.

Christmas Day has my traffic at 1/2 what it was. Everyone is too busy and I can understand why.

24. LoriSoard profile image65
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

I have been a member for a while, but just started really posting articles because I finally have more time to put into building my hubs. It is interesting to see everyone's thoughts on traffic trends. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to do a true comparison.

25. musclequest profile image61
    musclequestposted 12 years ago

Traffic has died

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)