why could BUSH be president of Ameica?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (184 posts)
  1. siftlibra profile image56
    siftlibraposted 14 years ago

i'm a Chinese student.According to the news and many reports about George Walker Bush in my country, he turns out to be very stupid and even is regarded as the foolishest president in the history of USA.
    but i'm confused that if he is as dull as that,how could he be selected as president?
    Is there any American here can tell me why you chose him as your leader?

1. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Al Gore & John Kerry

And a good portion of the "stupid" thing was because he was not a great public speaker and a lot of people in the media, raised as they were on a force-fed diet of unconditional self esteem, couldn't believe that anyone guilty of the twin sins of being a Republican and from Texas could be anything but stupid. It makes liberals from LA or NY feel better about the fact that he was elected twice and that the country really isn't as 'enlightened' as they absolutely know it should be.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image84
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup! I agree wholeheartedly!

2. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hopefully your common sense will tell you that a truly stupid person could not get elected president of the United States. We have two political parties and neither one would put forward a candidate that they knew was stupid. Bush did not accidentally become president because no one else wanted the job.

You could pick any person in the world and if you follow them with cameras and microphones every day for 8 years they will do some stupid things. Bill Clinton did plenty, but he's not regarded as a stupid person.

I suggest that you consider how the opinions of some people who hate Bush for political or social reasons will cause those people to go to any length to discredit him, even to the point of attacking his intelligence.

1. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Australia.

George W. Bush came across as an A Grade Idiot.

But getting back to siftlibra...

If you have friends, and particularly family, in high places, you can go far.

If you really want to know how or why he became president, do some homework: previous positions held, business deals, etc.

3. Christa Dovel profile image69
      Christa Dovelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While Bush is not a wonderful speaker or charismatic, he is intelligent.  I think history will portray him differently than the present day media does.

4. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

President Bush is absolutely not a "stupid" man. The word stupid typically refers to someone who is mentally slow, as in mentally challenged or mentally retarded. I strongly dislike it when people use words like that in the wrong sense; I have worked with mentally challenged children. I think it makes people sound uneducated to use these terms in an incorrect manner.

You can only act upon information that you are given. Does it make you stupid if you receive poor information? No! If so, we'd all be "stupid". In some ways, President Bush was misinformed, I'll give you that, but he is not stupid.

President Bush won the American presidency because he was chosen by the American people. I have met him as well as his family on plenty of occasions and I truly respect the Bush family. You'll not meet a kinder, more gracious woman, than Laura Bush. HW is an absolute riot and a lot of fun to talk to.

I know by saying this that I'll have a lot of backlash on here, but that's ok...I can deal with it. wink They are genuinely nice people. Anyways, it makes me almost physically sick when people compare President Bush to Hitler or Hussein.

History will judge his presidency ( 10,15,50 years from now) as it did of presidents in the past. Lincoln wasn't terribly popular in his day, either.

I'll end by saying that everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions, I totally respect that. I can only hope that you'll do the same for me. smile

siftlibraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i'm sorry for using that word to describe W....i admit that i'm still not good at using english word precisely

1. profile image0

That's ok! smile I don't blame you because I'm sure you have heard lots of others use that word incorrectly.

5. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it's quite baffling, isn't it.

6. getpaidtopost profile image40
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100% bush was the dumbest man ever to set foot in the White House bare in mind they are open to the general public for tours. Never liked the guy he has such a mischievous look about him. Also did not like his bully tactics used to get Europe to join the war against terror Ok the war against terror is all good but the way he set about doing things was all wrong.

Based on what data?

7. raiderfan profile image61
      raiderfanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cuz Americans are just as stupid.

8. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think BUSH was not genuinely stupid but he was to acted as
      a stupid due to his money minded mentality to cater the demands of
      his friends and obviously for the sales of arms industries.
      American people choose him because in fact they thought of him
      more stable due to his strong political background and his faith.

2. Christa Dovel profile image69
    Christa Dovelposted 14 years ago

Girly girl, thank you for sharing your opinion.

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Wow Girly, can I re-join your fan club? wink

It takes some serious courage to make such a statement on such a heavily anti-Bush site smile

1. profile image0

If there is a backlash, which doesn't seem likely at this point (thanks all for being respectful!), it would be nothing that I haven't heard before! hehe

2. siftlibra profile image56

Of cause! i hope to be your friend sincerely!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck with your learning
        No books on George W.Bush available?
        Google is Good

4. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I will go out theere too, Bush was not stupid.  Can't get where he was and be stupid.

What he lacked was intellectual curiousity.  He never questioned the information he was getting. Many of his advisors admitted that.

How did he become President.  He ran a good campaing in 2000 and Al Gore was a horrible candidate.  He came off as the regular American.  2004, we nominated John Kerry, nuff said.

5. Aya_Hajime profile image61
    Aya_Hajimeposted 14 years ago

I think that stupid is a relative term. I would probably be considered stupid when compared to Einstein, but perhaps much less so when compared to Bush Jr. big_smile

Also, intelligence and niceness are separate variables. However, proving some type of correlation would be an interesting exercise smile

6. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

girly_girl, thank you so much for sharing that! I have always had the impression that this is a genuinely kind and thoughtful family. I didn't like HW when he was in office (I was 10 lol) and I wasn't a fan of W either, but I supported him wholeheartedly through his presidency and I agree that he is far from a "stupid" man.

A president isn't a god. He worked with the information that he was given, just as those who voted for him did. Thank you for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in.

1. profile image0

You're welcome. smile I'm just thankful that we live in a country where our people can choose who they feel will do the best job every four years. I may not always vote for who gets elected, but I love democracy and the fact that we can have peaceful elections. Because of our elections system, it's impossible to get an "imbecile" or "stupid" person in office and I truly appreciate that! smile

7. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

It is great to see so many reasonable comments on a subject that can be so emotional at times. Feeling good.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Of course...you are supposing that he actually won the first election smile

1. nicomp profile image62

Which is a correct supposition, but often dredged up as an attempt at obfuscation.

Let's talk about ACORN...

1. profile image0

Oh gosh, don't even get me started on ACORN! lol That group conjures up my migraines. What a thorn in democracy's side.

2. Paper Moon profile image81
      Paper Moonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and got the second one through fear.  Orange alert! ! ! Immenant attacks coming.  Your average sheep.... I mean gullible, I mean, the average Joe working hard and trying to get a little enjoyment after work watch and read headlines to get their info.  Talk around the coffee machine and water coolers across America, people kept saying, oh, but we cant change captain in the middle of a war.  Terrorists blah blah blah.  He was not a brilliant man, but the people who paid for and ran his campaign were no fools.  Dick Cheney and Daddy saw to that.  Yes, look at his previous jobs.  All of the companies he ran went under.  The powerful people who put him in office made a mint and damn the little people.  Our rights have been stolen, our constitution has been desecrated.  No one seems to care.  Least not many.  (Baaaaa you hear in the distance as the sheep start feeling uncomfortable that some one is throwing stones at the “Good Shepard”)

And our rights continue to drain away, courtesy of the current administration. Phone companies given immunity, class warfare fostered, transparency in government given only lip-service, the constitution violated ... but Obama's a Democrat, so he must have a good reason for doing all the same things Bush did. It's all good when a liberal does it. smile

1. Paper Moon profile image81

Lib. or consv.  Dem or Rep.  Keep your eyes open, they are two sides of the coin and we are pawns.   The division of the left and right, is used to distract and the ultimate goal?  To use us. All.

2. tksensei profile image59

Yeah, John Kerry as president was a pretty scary thought.

3. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, UW, for mentioning that!  Bush wasn't elected in 2000, but handed the presidency when the Supreme Court ordered the vote count in Florida shut down.  I still question the legality of the SC's standing in this matter.  I'm also still ticked that Gore didn't fight the decision, because he won the popular vote.

Hopefully I'll live long enough to see the Electoral College abolished!  It was a "good" idea for only about 5 minutes 200 years ago.

Free political lesson for you: the president isn't the one who wins the popular vote. Something about the electoral college and delegates from each state. It's all there in the constitution.

1. JamaGenee profile image78

My point exactly.

Sure, in fact just let New York and Los Angeles decide for the whole country. After all, they are the enlightened ones...

1. goldentoad profile image60
          goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People in LA and NY don't even believe in God! How qualified are they to make a decision as to who can be president?!

So you support the idea of letting only them decide who is president? I don't think you do. No one is that silly. But do you realize that the electoral college was designed to ensure that less populous states would not be effectively shut out of the electoral process?

OMG! You are so right on! I mean why mess with it? Its so perfect! No confusion at all. I mean, so what if the majority of the people vote one way, and the electoral college goes another, that's irrelevant! Power to Puerto Rico!

Well I didn't say that, did I? If you had asked I would have told you no system is perfect. But tell me, what better system would YOU, in all your wisdom, implement so that states with smaller populations would not be left with virtually no voice?

You have to start another thread on that topic, go ahead and say it was your idea, I think it would be fabulous! Let me ask, do you think you could beat GWB in a chess match?

No idea, but I sure wouldn't put any money on YOU.

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Again, I'm thankful for our democracy and our elections system. Yes, we absolutely need some changes...there is absolutely room for many irregularities and fraud. But, I'm personally confident Bush legitimately won both elections.

I won't begin to elaborate upon my experience with national elections and voting integrity, but let's just say that I consult on the topic professionally. smile

10. Sufidreamer profile image81
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Never thought that he was stupid, and he is probably quite a nice bloke, but I know of very few Europeans who remember him fondly -
    Unimaginative, insular and out of his depth are the words that I would use.

I suppose that it depends upon your point of view -in the UK, we loved Clinton because of what he did for the Irish peace process. You guys probably have a completely different view.

Nothing personal against him - Cheney, I do not like, and I have little time for Gore or his insufferable wife.

11. Bob Cedar profile image58
    Bob Cedarposted 14 years ago

I'll say this. If you're gonna be the head cheese running our country, public speaking skills are a must. Maybe he wasn't stupid, but he projected himself that way with his mispronunciation of words, and the way he stumbled when he talked. I'm not a Bush hater, nor a supporter, but as far as history goes I don't believe time will heal those wounds. Our country really got in bad shape during his leadership. The biggest problem was that internally America started breaking down. We've always had and always will have a set of people from (insert country here) bashing America. Before we would all say "Hey shut up guy/girl from (country) we're Americans and proud of it!" But it was getting to the point were a lot of citizens were going: "You know what, those people in (country) might have a point". And the whole thing about conservatives/liberals painting certain pictures to present the president in a certain light is B.S. Those parties stay loyal to their side and bash the other no matter what. A liberal dem. could be in charge with things running great and conservative rep. could still say a billion things that could be better if one of their own were in charge. Or a liberal dem. could be in charge and the country could be in the worse shape it's ever been and the liberal dems. could still find reasons it's better than having a conservative rep. in power. All in all I'm just saying vote for Bob Cedar in 2012. I'll put a Wii in every school, legalize cannabis, make animal abuse a crime worthy of death, and a free house to everyone that promises to mow their lawn. B.C 2012. Good night America!

12. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

First of all I am not American ,but am curious of something.
    Wouldnt you find it disrespectful if I was doing a paper on a Chinese Communist Leader and thought him cruel and brutal, with his dealings with Tibet and then wonder why the Chinese voted him in ( again).
    I am sure that you might be annoyed since I dont know your leader Hu Jintao as well as you might. And its difficult to compare Communism with a Democracy is it not?

maybe my english is not good enough to express myself. i don't mean any disrespection in my words to Bush. actually i'm just consulting ( i hope this word is used in a right way) since i can't find any book or any report that can give me some comprehensive information of W. maybe oneday i can find the answer to my question in his autobiography...

13. jiajunham profile image57
    jiajunhamposted 14 years ago

yeah....Bush is so cute,and funny,maybe he can make film in Hollywood with Luke Wilson,it will sell....i bet....i love Bush,really--only if he come to SHIFT

14. profile image58
    mktol1984posted 14 years ago

Bush became president because of god and guns the brainless follwers of christinity and the nra as well as the fact that gas was cheap and al gore was talking about the enviroment before it became important to the public which means it didn't hurt there pocekts yet  and then after he became the president he was able to keep the American people in fear long enough to get elected again republicans are incompetent leaders but are masters at manipulation and at politicizing everything and the American people are easily manipulated its unfortunate but true some people believe bush never really won the first election but it hurts me to say this but gore lost the election because i believe that it shouldn't have been that close gore should've won in a landslide he was a vice presidnet of a popular president and lets face it just a better man for the job

We'd be Hubbing in Farsi if Gore had been elected. The job was his for the taking and he couldn't win it.

Oh, and Bush had slightly better grades in college than Kerry. Neither one was a better than average student, but that fact just drives the libs crazy.

I guess all the deep thinkers on the Liberal side were too busy to get out and vote that day. Kinda makes you wonder who the smarter group might be, eh?

15. tksensei profile image59

......................oh brother........more balanced, reasoned analysis...

16. profile image58

I don;t need to have a balanced reasoned analsis simply because when bush was elected i knew he would be a failure i had said it for the longest time it wasn't hard to see the lack of ablities but what disappoints me is that i know this to be true as well that when obama becomes a sucessful president the republicans will give the credit to the bush administation i heard it before when clition was president that the reason the economy is so strong was because of bush 1 polices conservatives republicans or what ever name they may want to give themselves annoy me also from my personal experience the reason i heard most from people that voted for bush 2 was because of there guns or there religion there were against abortion or gay marriage or they wanted a president that believed in creationism so from a personal view the reason people voted for him are clear

Apparently not.

I hope your prognostications about Obama's success include improvements in education, because your English is awful.

17. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Opinions about the former president ("Bush 43") aside, it has been said he has a high IQ. 

I have no reason to want to defend the man; but I've often wondered if his trouble speaking spontaneously on camera may have been related to, perhaps, his being a little uncomfortable with the cameras (and the world) focused on him.  Some people aren't the least bit fazed by having to speak "to the world" (in fact, sometimes they come across as a little too confident).  I know people who are quite intelligent but poor speakers.  (Oh well, he's out now - guess it doesn't matter at this point  smile  ).

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile I know you are just discussing...but you know, Lisa, nobody who is smart actually believes in IQ anymore.

I didn't see it as discomfort.  I saw it the goony behavior of a legacy brat D- student who never did the requisite homework for the position.  Also the behavior of a light weight figure head placed there, while the heavy hitters behind the scenes (like Cheney) ruled from behind.

You make the categorical claim that "nobody who is smart actually believes in IQ anymore" (irony - nobody 'smart') and then reference school grades (had a look at Gore or Kerry's?).

And then drag out the tired old - unsupported left wing talking point - about "heavy hitters behind the scenes (like Cheney) ruled from behind."

Come on...

18. profile image58

i dont know why people have to comment on a persons grammer spelling or anything on a site like this it isn't for a class or for work it's a place to post your argument to total strangers its free writeing brainstorming it's the very basic no need for grammer or spelling i have written my fair share of good high scoreing papers in my college courses and all of them started with me just writing my thoughts and views down like i do here a good paper is revised serveral times before it is turned in the same goes for book i am not an english major and even if i was there is no need to edit this little comment for something that be seen by like 10 people

Ouch. It hurts just to read that.

1. Sufidreamer profile image81
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a forum post, not an English paper. But then, of course, it is not like you to miss any opportunity to feel superior. Much easier to go ad hominem, isn't it wink

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Even I can feel superior to that one! lol

19. Haunty profile image72
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

There is so much talk about Bush on these forums. I'm puzzled. smile

1. profile image0

Our Republicans just cannot let it go, Haunty.

Can't let what go?

20. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Why are their no books on Politcal Leaders ?? in you library??

Um, wha???

21. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Simply because MR.George Bush is a US citizen, he can be president of USA and he has done it. 
    Is he worse than Mr.Nixon, who had to resign on corruption charges?  Because the majority of world nations are Islamic, and because he had to fail economically, there is no need to question his eligibility as President. Mr.George Bush... one of the brightest presidents of USA.... and one of the greatest leaders of the world. His term ended before he could set things right... that is all.

Good point about Nixon. It always helps to study a little history. Nixon resigned to avoid impeachment. Back then we had no cable TV and no Internet. Nixon saw it coming and did what was probably best for the country. MSNBC would have been apoplectic. Keith Olbermann would have refused to leave the studio.

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nixon was about to be impeached because of his role in bugging the opposition Democratic Party headquarters. Before impeachment, he resigned, not because it was best for the country, but becuase there was no other way out for him. If such situation came to Mr.Bush, he also would have resigned.
        Bugging in important places seemed common those days in USA. I think Mr.Kennedy's personal room was also bugged and resulted in Merlene Manroe's death... The secrets of Presidential circles was leaked out to Russia.  And then came the Cuban missile crisis. I had to mention these because no President can claim innocence.... Why accuse Mr.Bush only?

22. My Inner Jew profile image60
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

First of all Bush is not stupid...we all make social faux pas.  Secondly, he was left to clean up the Clinton administration.
    Economists say it takes 10 years for you to see the effects of any president's administration...what we saw happen to the economy was from the pressure clinton's administration to put on these loan companies to give loans to ppl who should never have qualified and that made our country collapse...We will be seeing the full effects of Bush's administrationin about two years, but of course with the terrible policies Obama is making, our country is going to be in big trouble...The man thinks he is some huge celebrity...pls!

1. raiderfan profile image61
      raiderfanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are really on drugs, bush is stupid. anyone who doesn;t think so must be related. don't hate on bill clinton cuz he got some.

I guess you did much better at Harvard and Yale and had two much more successful terms as leader of the free world. Who could blame a brilliant, important person like you for reaching such a conclusion.

2. goldentoad profile image60

you blew it in your first sentence.

1. profile image48
        CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your not all stupid GT smile

23. profile image57
    prince1244posted 14 years ago

We Americans will be asking that question for a long time

24. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Stupids don't get THAT high and stay there two terms...

25. Murilion profile image60
    Murilionposted 14 years ago

I think he s not stupid man as president since he got picked 2 times,I think its a matter of media who doing so

26. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I can't believe this is even up for debate. He practically lead America to ruin. People should feel rage towards him.

The United States government operated under a system of checks and balances when Bush was president. Any 'leading' that GW did required complicity from a congress that was at times predominantly democratic. All his spending was voted upon and approved. Your rage would be better spent railing against senators and representatives from both sides of the aisle who enabled him.

Congress was only "predominantly democratic" for the last two years of GW's second term.  Repugs controlled *everything* for the first six years.  There were no real checks and balances during that time.  In fact, GW and Cheney did everything possible to dilute/eliminate the power of Congress against the day Dems *would* control it again.

27. tksensei profile image59

I find it interesting that all the panic about faulty voting machines, dark conspiracies to exclude votes, and calls for reform of the electoral college system all sort of disappeared when Democrats won majorities in the House and Senate and Obama won the White House. I guess the voting system works just fine when the 'proper' person wins...

People realized they had to double up when dealing with cheaters.

Situational Ethics: the code of the Libs

sorry, not a lib, just someone that calls it like it is. Bush was elected on the basis he is "More American" than Gore and Kerry, and all the idiot sheep believed that was a basis in which to elect a president as if there is really such a thing, and yes, it almost happened again. I admit to not thinking much of Kerry for flip flopping on issues but George Bush stuck to his programming, no matter the complexity of the issue, it was an impossibility for him to move beyond the simpleton logic.

Is that what all your extensive exit polling data shows?

nice twist of my words. I won't bother with this waste of time discussion. Sorry but the republican shipped has sailed, GWB assured that. Republicans are going out of style faster than disco. Go learn some new dance moves, give up the bell bottoms and platform shoes. Your episode of the twilight zone is in the vault, no coming back. Redemption is a Bob Marley song, not a possibility of GWB's legacy.

I'm sorry, did that go over your head? Let's try this: Upon what do you base the statement that Bush was elected on the basis he is "More American" than Gore and Kerry?

That clear enough for ya?

swift boat techniques, and yes that one went way over my head. You are so brilliant to have got that one over me. OMG I feel so dumb. You are so clever, you're probably as smart as GWB.

Yes, I can see it did. So, you are saying Bush was elected because some vets felt Kerry was misrepresenting his service and took offense at his portrayal of them? Quite the influential demographic, that.

2. JamaGenee profile image78

If you were watching election night, there was no way Repugs could fake the numbers (again) to make McBush the "winner".  Obama's team used the Repugs' own GOTV strategies to get record numbers of Dems to the polls, partly on the promise that their vote *would* count this time.  And it did.  That was obvious by the pitiful number of people who showed up for McBush's concession speech in AZ versus the tens of thousands at Obama's victory party in Chicago. 

And don't forget 1800 FREE tickets to Bush's welcome home party in TX on Inauguration Day '09 went unrequested. At least Bush has the good sense to lay low now.  His VP should take the hint.

28. profile image0
    MangoGirlposted 14 years ago

Does anyone know why the gov didn't bail out Lehman Bros in the first place so that the crisis wouldn't happen?

1. Paper Moon profile image81

The ones that knew probably planned it that way.  You can bet they made a mint off of it.

29. icewave5 profile image60
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

WOw 3 weeks ago this thread has being for... i cant believe how much can be said about little george bush..

1. profile image0
      MangoGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not about gb but 8 years in the past and God only knows how much in the future. smile

Let it go, the Liberals have control now. They say they can handle it.

30. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

I didn't vote for him. I knew he was a schmuck from day one. Many people laughed when I told them what a mire we stood to be thrown in if he and his cronies got a hold of the office. Saying "I told you so" just doesn't give the satisfaction you might think, though, because of the horrible cost of these men's callous actions.

Talk about self-serving. The kicker is that Bush isn't really that bad - he's just the dummy/puppet for the nasties (Rove, Cheney, Rumsfeld *shudder*).

Yeah, it was rather embarrassing to me as a US citizen and I have hoped that our brothers and sisters across the globe know that these yahoos do not represent the views of most ordinary people here.

Unsupported liberal talking point #75b...

If they keep repeating it, they'll start to believe it... see Communist China

Oh I've seen it up close and personal.

31. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL definite success of American education system - some of the brightest people around keep fighting over which politicians are better, while ALL politicians keep steeling their money. I pity you guys...

Good point, Misha.  We pity us too right now.

2. Sufidreamer profile image81

The same in the UK - the politicians are all appearing on the news, saying how sorry they are that they stole from the taxpayer.

Of course, what they mean is that they are sorry that they were caught wink

32. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I think we can call this a success of a whole Western public education LOL

That's the difference here - Greeks know that politicians are corrupt. They don't mind, as long as it does not go too far - then they burn Athens wink

They find the whole scandal hilarious - for years, the British have looked down upon Greece as a corrupt nation (which it is). The moral high ground is gone big_smile

33. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Sufi, yeah, that may actually make a difference. Knowing that there is no such thing as an honest politician puts things into perspective smile

34. someonewhoknows profile image72
    someonewhoknowsposted 14 years ago

Bush is not stupid but he has done stupid things while he was president.Verbal,he could have used that new program for infants,you know the one called "your baby can read".At least he can spell"potato"unlike his fathers vice presidential nominee,what's his name? I don't remember.Anyway,George w. became president because the puppetmaster let him.You know it takes money to run for president and the puppetmaster has the money to buy whom ever he wants to do his bidding.Unfortunately some puppets let power go to their heads.If,you think someone who seems nice is nice ,all you need do it is mention people in history who seemed nice in public and yet can be unbelievably horrible to people in private,perpetrating torture on other's without remorse,PRESIDENTS INCLUDED! Not just here but everywhere.Dictators as well as Monarchies,and Democracies and Republics.It's what's in your heart that matters.The truth will set us free,not good intentions alone.Not that Bush had good intentions.His family oil and banking business was involved with helping the nazi's during World War two.SURPRISED ?

1. Misha profile image62

If you actually recall your school punctuation lessons, you won't look that - umm - unreadable smile

Oh brother...ok, what puppetmaster?

35. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

...or Catholic Church lol

The libs wouldn't understand such a reference; I used Communist China so they can relate.

36. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Keep going people, it is very entertaining smile

37. someonewhoknows profile image72
    someonewhoknowsposted 14 years ago

I think another one of the Bush brothers will try to run for president . What do you say about that.

Nah, nephew maybe.

Really! That would be another great opportunity to ruin the country to elect another Bush! All in the name of God and that which is righteous. These socialist heathens must be taught a lesson in what it is to be a true American!

You're quite fond of hyperbole and exclamations, aren't you? Try to keep calm.

I get so excited when I talk to super smart people who rightly defend Bush despite all that America is going through.

Are you capable of making any statements that aren't extreme or hysterical? I hope you don't communicate like this all the time.

38. tksensei profile image59

Do I think YOU are capable of responding to natural disasters, unprecedented terrorist attacks and threats to national security, and managing the world's largest economy? No, I don't.  It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on all those things if those thoughts are well reasoned, but shouting "He so dumb!" sounds an awful lot like a dim-witted child just lashing out at someone he doesn't like

Well I think I would get more votes for the job than you. Care to have an election on hubpages?

Bush didn't do anything with those mentioned items. So how could I do any worse?

Fair enough, I make no claims to the contrary.

It's pretty hard to take you seriously when you say things like that. Remember what I said about the child lashing out because he didn't like someone? I would hope you are capable of better than that, but I haven't seen it yet.

its hard to take you seriously when you've slipped so far in your arguments to compare the achievements of "me" to GWB. You have said nothing in defense to GWB failed policy or outright blunders, you lost track of your reason to argue for him when you made it about me.

I never came here to proclaim what a genius the former president (or any other president) is. I've been pointing out how juvenile and ridiculous your "He so dumb! He so dumb! Wee! Everyone who hates him laugh with me! Wee!" nonsense is. That is just empty, pointless partisanship, and it reflects not well at all on the one who resorts to it. Childish nonsense.

You sound like the child now, it must be past your bedtime. Spending all this time to just say people are being childish, who put you in charge of the daycare? Just a thought...You could've just spoken your thoughts and left, but it appears you really love GWB and probably got a poster of him hanging above your bed. Or you think I am cute. Which is also a possibility.

Ok, tell me why you think so. I've told you why I think you are being childish, do me the same favor.

2. AEvans profile image71
                AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, did you think I was a "she"?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
                    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I initially did, however I took the time to click on your profile before referring to you as either he or she.

3. tksensei profile image59

Tell me honestly, would YOU take someone seriously who posted something like that?

I wouldn't nor would I take anyone serious who was defending GWB. I just love to see if I can keep people coming back to the stupidest debates ever. I think you have wasted alot of time on me and I am very much appreciative of that.

I didn't think so. Thanks.

Reading between your lines... you can't defend your points so you attempt to turn the debate into an attack on other hubbers.

4. Pete Maida profile image60
                Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well there goes any enlighten discussion on this topic.  Generally a point is made by saying something reasonable about the subject at hand.

enlightenment and GWB don't belong in the same conversation.

1. profile image0

I put my 'toughness' behind GT's outlook in support, wink Agreed.

39. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I am the last person on Earth to defend G.W. Bush.  I found the entire eight years very painful.  He deserved to be President becaused he was elected President.  Yes there were some questions about the 2000 election and you can banter them all day but the fact is the man was elected President and we have enough respect for the office to separate the office from the man.  As much as I never wanted Mr. Bush to be president I would defend with my life his right to be there.

40. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Here we go again yikes

GT, trust me, you would have been much better off just leaving it here smile

:Passes Misha a beer:

1. Misha profile image62

Thanks Sufi. smile Want a cig?

Cheers - looks like we have ringside seats. smile

I no longer discuss US internal politics, but it is a good spectator sport.

2. goldentoad profile image60

Eh, I only had a minute to step in. I am doing my best to ruin this thread, and I know I should just let it fade away, just like the republican party.

41. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL I had to look 'ringside seat' up. I am building my vocabulary every day while on HP smile

lol Easy to forget that you are ESL, sometimes - One day, I hope that my Greek is as good as your English smile

42. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Both "sides" suck. Neither serves any interest other than the lobbyists they bow to.

As for the assertion that I'm a "lib"- meh.

I claim no politi-party, thank you very much. They just serve to keep us divided over dumb stuff so that we won't unite on anything big.

That's all, folks. Going to a more fun forum now ;D

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A very wise stance.

I think one reason Bush may have fumbled his words frequently is that he might be dyslexic, but of course, I don't know for a fact. Intelligence has very little to do with that problem but it does make for poor communication at times.

W was actually a brilliant man - if you look at some of his political maneuvers. It was only the "hate Bush" campaign started by Hillary that made everyone think he was stupid. I didn't agree with everything he did, but that doesn't mean he was stupid.

he is stupid. you used the phrase "was stupid" as if he gained any intelligence.

1. profile image0
          nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahahhahahhaa big_smile

43. tksensei profile image59

As if YOU have...

44. nicomp profile image62
    nicompposted 14 years ago

This thread has ground to a halt. To summarize...

Liberals: Bush was stoopid and not really elected president. He has the brain of a house cat, Albert Gore was rooked and by the way, George Bush is a draft-dodging alcohol-binging moron.

Conservatives: Bush was not stoopid but did make some major blunders. We are all better off having had GW at the helm on 9/11 rather than Albert Gore. Laura Bush has a graduate degree in Library Science.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, independents and the rest of the world think Bush was stupid too. I think that covers it.

Why are libs so unhappy? It must be horrible to walk around so bitter all day long.

Why are conservatives always fat and ready to eat their own family members?

Thanks for making my point. Libs don't like anyone; they live to make sure no one has any fun and they trudge around looking like they sucked on a lemon. I don't get it.

Libs get laid, they get it.

Sorry, I don't judge quality of life by that criteria.

2. Sufidreamer profile image81

I would say that I am pretty liberal, and I have a great life smile

2. Misha profile image62

No. At least not all of them smile

No you're right,  I am off on the math by single digits. smile

I think that most people think that he is stupid. Personally, I think that somebody who manages to be President must be reasonably intelligent - the media has a lot to do with the portrayed stupidity thing. Politicians are always going to be caricatured.

Sadly, his international diplomacy left a lot to be desired - his legacy will be felt for a long time in the Middle East. To be fair, judging by the crap he serves up nowadays, I am not sure if Gore would have been much better smile

45. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Still off tongue

46. nicomp profile image62
    nicompposted 14 years ago

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

P. J. O'Rourke

lol

That is a good quote - it could probably be adapted to suit most countries! smile

Yes, substitute Whigs and Torys, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)