Superstitions

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. sassysexybossy profile image61
    sassysexybossyposted 12 years ago

What superstitions do you believe in? I have heard some crazy ones in my life and I try not to believe in them.

1. limpetparasite profile image60
      limpetparasiteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

when i was young, my mom taught me a lot about curses and counters, strange plants and animals and many personal account stories that are both fantastic and even scary, things that must be done to avoid certain unfortunate events from occurring, days that should be observed because of certain signs, ritualistic preparation of herbal lore. i come from a line of a sort of tribal herbalist and healers.

as i grew up, went to school and got a bit educated, i suddenly became a skeptic, the world of the supernatural becomes surreal and a lot became fiction as i was able to understand and explain how these things came to be, but i am not saying that everything that was taught to me was falsity, i actually still practice a lot of the method and respect most of the warning signs.

the reason for this is that, my mom, and her parents and grandparents who passed on these arcane wisdom, lack words and reason to explain the situation they experience first hand, but whatever they did at that time to remedy or prevent from occurring had some effect that worked. so they try to explain it in their own words combined with their strong beliefs in the supernatural and mysticism.

2. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you don't believe any of them, then why seek them out. If it is not of God, it is not real.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I love superstition in others, but not so much for myself. I have a few, but can't say what they are, since my superstition does not allow me.

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I destroyed a fertillity god when I was a child and I was cursed to never have children.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I once worked on a two-person "team", and the other person (a woman) put out a couple of statues of fertility gods at the office.  (Why she'd choose the office to put them out, I don't know.)  Anyway, for awhile both of us ended up expecting babies.

I'm as un-superstitious as they make 'em, but it did make for some good jokes.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Death comes in threes.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I never even thought of this as a superstition but I always think it when someone dies.

4. Seek-n-Find profile image71
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

I don't really believe in them now, but I used to do the "knock on wood" thing.  Picked it up from a friend and took a few years for me to kick that thought out of my head!

5. banksbernard profile image55
    banksbernardposted 12 years ago

I don't belive in superstitions.

6. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Hmm, you might believe more parasite if you were to ever see Charleston or New Orleans hoodoo in action. The paranormal is simply that which is not completely understood yet.  Its good you still have respect; hopefully one day we'll know the scientific basis for the supernatural and mysticism.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think they have discovered the scientific basis for the supernatural and mysticism as forms of 'gobbledegook'

Why not try to think of them as individual forms of thought and moving on? What I do everyday may seem crazy to you, but to me it is perfectly rational. To put it down is not helping anyone's cause and it certainly makes us look like closed minded powderheads with nothing more than snotty outlooks. I judge and condemn just as the next, but it is in acceptance that we find true peace. If I argue, people argue with me and I never find peace.

Simple, there is no "thought" process going on there, only belief.

LOL! To the believer, yes.

Sorry, but there is no acceptance of irrational and illogical belief systems in science, that is the entire point of science, to change irrational belief into fact.

Do you really care, or do you argue for your own enlightenment? I certainly do and then, what is an agrument, but a heated discussion.

2. limpetparasite profile image60

to a troubled man,

i would tend to disagree with your view on certain things, specially your harsh comment on generalizing superstition as a simple no brainer, there is indeed a thought process involved when you believe in something regardless if it is just a localized event or a world wide phenomenon. belief in itself is a psychological state in which an individual holds a premise to be true.

laughing at others beliefs simply makes you more arrogant than the rest, it gives me the impression that you are trying hard to prove yourself to be somebody who is right, and i have learned that people who tend to project like this are the ones who are closed minded and does not know how to listen.

and lastly, you should know that there are many forms of science, it was not so long ago that the word 'science' is synonymous with philosophy, and philosophies itself has countless variants, so which specific science are you intent on imparting your wisdom to us audience of 'irrational' beliefs?

because if it is specifically the science of 'scientific method' that you are so very hard trying to convey the message to us, then your argument fails, because the very definition of paranormal experiences, these what you call irrational are still outside the range of normal scientific explanation. this type of science has not gotten around to prove or disprove it yet, just like this particular science are still trying to prove the existence of some of the fundamental particles in the universe, they can not see it, they can not prove it, but that does not mean it is not there... and do not dare use mathematics as basis, because mathematics does in fact accepts irrational inputs...

we, mankind in general has still yet a long long way to go in understanding everything. so please have a care before you scoff somebody else opinion.

limpet

Yes, and the belief is held with our without thinking about the premise.

lol Laughing at others beliefs is due to the fact those beliefs are ridiculous and irrational, or just plain hilarious. That has nothing to do with proving myself or being closed minded, they're just plain funny.

The science required depends on the irrational belief you wish to put forward.

No, science is not synonymous with philosophy.

No, they're not outside normal scientific explanation, they are just simply unexplained due to whatever reason.

They might not see particles with the human eye, but they can detect them using technologies and equipment.

So what?

If their opinions are faith based fantasy laden myths, then the deserve to be scoffed.

sorry, nice quick defense all wrong answers, this just shows your ignorance, a troubled man.

please stop creating nonsense. i will not reply to you if your goal is simply to have the last say, it is neither constructive nor informational thus totally a waste of my time.

limpet

lol You mean they weren't the answers you wanted to hear.

Yes, I know reality is a waste of time for believers.

However, you're free to tell us all how superstitions are constructive and informational. smile

back! ... hahaha, can not help myself, just a point in humor at your expense, a troubled man, since your zeal on the claim of truth is so profound that you actually believe in them, the irony!

point 1. at the moment, less than half of the 'known' fundamental particles are discovered, thus we have been trying to construct hadron colliders and super-kamiokande and liner smashers, therefore they are all still in the realm of mathematics thus theory. so no, they have not detected it yet, they research in order to prove and disprove and not because they know it is there already.

point 2. mathematics is the method used to initially prove before a full scientific methodology is carried out, so again no, math is not the science you think it is, math can also be used in numerology and a variety of other unproven theories including much of the realm of the social sciences, and social sciences do include in one of its sub-class philosophy, anthropology, cultural studies among many others which brings me to the next point.

point 3. philosophy and science is one and the same back in the old days, it is only in 19th and present day that a better understanding had moved it down to a sub class under social sciences, so once again strike 3 you are wrong, read the books, do your research and understand better what science you are trying to defend on... i will stop now because you need to read more, understand more instead of spreading your nonsense.

so reply, laugh, cry, insult or do whatever you feel like doing, i have played my part in explaining it to you as 'scientific' as possible, but it is your 'belief' and i respect that. so please do not shove it down our throat like it is fact, you perception of fact is twisted and limited.

limpet

2. Alastar Packer profile image71
        Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Grip this with your cerebral tentacle Mr.Troubled Man: There are many highly respected and professional people in New Orleans and elsewhere who know better than to scoff at the hoodoo. Whether they believe in the Mojo or not, they're wise enough to show some respect to the Haitian voodoo religion. And make no mistake sir, it is a religion. Best regards to you Mr. Troubled Man.

I like that. smile

I'm sure it is a form of syncretic religion, but how it garners respect is quite puzzling.

2. limpetparasite profile image60

dear alastar packer,

you are right ofcourse, i am more prone to believe in the supernatural simply because of my ancestral roots. my skepticism and scientific rationalization can only go so far, and they do tend to crumble upon witnessing actual paranormal events that i can find no explanations. thus my continued respect.

english is not even my first language, so perhaps i am more ignorant than the people who grew up in the western cultures, perhaps i lack the proper scientific tool to conduct the right myth busting methodology. but whatever the circumstances, i will stand by with the methods that was taught to me by my forebears, unless proven otherwise or presented with a better alternative.

limpet

7. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I will never walk under a black cat.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you break one you get seven years of bad luck.

8. dipsmi profile image66
    dipsmiposted 12 years ago

I only believe in those superstitious which are not difficult to believe.lol

9. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I used to believe in the existence of Satan and demons.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They still exist in the Bible

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a matter of interpretation. I.e. Demons do not exist in Judaism and all angelic satans are  faithfull servants of God.

10. LoriSoard profile image64
    LoriSoardposted 12 years ago

That you shouldn't take a salt shaker out of someone's hand, because it's bad luck. If you do, you have to throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder. Everything things I'm nuts because I make them set the salt shaker on the table. LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)