How do you find the time to write with so much stuff to read?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. LawrenceS profile image64
    LawrenceSposted 12 years ago

I'm fairly new to hubpages, only a member for four days, but every time I log on I find so much interesting content that I never make it to actually writing anything down.Especially with the hub hopping feature it keeps me reading all day. So I was just wondering how do you do it? I am fairly new to this so if you have any advice it would greatly be appreciated. I know someone has probably beat me to the punch with this, so please forgive me if I repeated something that somebody else has asked already.

1. bloggernotjogger profile image60
      bloggernotjoggerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If I don't have to do any research, I can write a 1500 word hub with illustrations in 3 hours. I'm slow.

There are some here that are incredibly fast.

LawrenceSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow that's awesome, so if you have to do research how long would it take you?

2. Miss M profile image60
      Miss Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, first get into concentration mode? What do you want to write about?
      What are your interests and hobbiest etc. I suggest editing your profile first as a starter. Then, pick up a pen (or just type) and write. It could be the start of a novel or something you want to write about? Anything that you think that would really make people go 'Oh, yeah' or 'That's true!' or 'I want to read more!' It's hard when you're first strting out but once you get into a rhythym then it's all good smile happy writing!!

What kind of suggestions do you suggest for my profile? I didn't want to say to much, so I figured less is more.

1. bloggernotjogger profile image60
          bloggernotjoggerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Think of your profile as a job application or a CV. Don't worry too much about it being perfect right now. You can develop and readjust it over months.

Put things on it that will make people say WOW... who is this guy? If you don't, nobody will notice you. And who cares if what you say bothers a couple of people? Don´t play it safe or you won´t stand out.

Thanks for the advice, this is  really helping me out. If you can think of anything else PLEASE let me know.

2. Reality Bytes profile image76
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Think of a title, and start the hub.  With me it bugs me to know I have hubs unfinished.  (I have a LOT) This motivates me to finish them or at least work on them a little bit at a time.  I have one almost done and for two weeks I have not had the ambition to finish it.

I have hubs unfinished that I started over a year ago.  I work at my own pace.

I also am guaranteed that I get to keep the title I want!

So I could start a Hub about light and name it "Why should light be interesting..." and start the article and don't finish it that day. I could come back and continue working on it on a later date and everyone won't see it?

I'm sorry this sounds like a stupid question.

2. Reality Bytes profile image76
        Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes exactly, it will remain unpublished until you decide to publish it.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Strangely enough (in view of my "Hubtivity" and the fact that I always have at least one HP window open), I don't always have a whole lot of time to actually be on here (and stay on here) and do anything that involves a "concentrated" chunk of time.  So, I divide up my limited time into three things:

1.  Posting Hubs.  I often write away from here (this site)when I'm in a writing mood (which is different from being in a HubPages mood), and then just post the Hub and add capsules when the time comes.  It's pretty quick and doesn't take any big chunk of concentrated time. 

2.  I'll have a little bit of time (and be in the mood) to read, so I'll come on here just to read.  I might read a thing (or three things) at one sitting, but that doesn't take much time one way or another either.

3. The rest of the time I'm either doing other, non-HubPages stuff; and pop on the forums for different amounts of time when I have it, or else I'm in a "doing-nothing" mode and I'll just wait a bunch of time on the forums (while half-listening to TV or radio - something like that).  A quick scan for something in the forums can take seconds or a minute or so.  Stopping for a quick thread/remark takes seconds.  Getting involved in a discussion can take, maybe, ten or fifteen minutes at a time; but I only do that every few days, for the most part.  I don't socialize on any sites other than this one.  The forums are also where I sometimes get ideas for writing (on here or elsewhere), which makes them more than just "socializing" for me.  If I see nothing interesting on here I go to Answers and use it for the same kind of purposes.

4.  Then there might be a half hour or so (or sometimes just a minute or two) when I'll respond to any comments instead of coming to the forums in my "skimmed-from-whatever-else-I'm doing-or-not-doing" time.

I've sometimes looked at my own "Hubtivity" to get a time reading.  On average, over the course of a week I'll read a some things, maybe not write a Hub at all, and pop onto the forums, maybe, every every hour or couple of/few hours.  All the small stuff adds up, but I spend surprisingly little time on undivided attention to HubPages, which is why it's worked for me for over four years now.  smile

4. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Learn to read faster.

That's the only answer.

Many adults read at a pathetic 250 words per minute, some even slower.  Increasing that to 1,000 wpm isn't at all difficult and you can then read four times as much.  Double it again, which admittedly does take effort, will allow you to consume eight times as much.

Learn to read faster.  Simple, really.

5. anonimuzz profile image61
    anonimuzzposted 12 years ago

I write one hub per year. It's cool.

In a more serious way, I can say that time management skills are not that hard to achieve and they work wonders. Obviously, there is a lot of good content being posted everyday, and within the 24 hours that a day has, you can take out a few for reading them. Then, you set apart another hour or too for one hub. If you feel you can't write one hub per day, then start a hub one day and finish it in the next day. Not finding time to write just because there is a lot of good stuff to read is just weird. I'm sure you work, sleep, study, eat, go to the bathroom etc everyday, even with all that good content. If logging here distracts you that much, then write your hubs in Microsoft Word and then copy and paste them over here. That way, when you're logging in, your hub is already written, so there's no problem for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)