Excessive sharing by hubbers of other people's hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (88 posts)
  1. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Dear staff, is there anything that can be done to the feed where I can choose not to receive notice of hubs shared by other hubbers? There are people who share every hub they read. If I want to read a hub or follow someone I will. I don't need to see all those hubs of people I don't even know in my feed.

Yes, I know I can choose to "hide a story" but that would mean clicking on 25 stories which, frankly is wasting my time, since I didn't really ask to see these hubs in the first place. I don't see why I should be the one removing them.

I tried to tolerate one hubber with the excessive feeding but five is too much for me. Short of un-following these people I don't see what else I can do.

Another thing that hubbers need to know is that so long as they comment on a hub their followers will see it. Sometimes the hub shared shows up twice in the feed because they comment then share.

Please people, only share a hub if it's extremely awesome, useful or funny! Don't share it out of kindness!

1. sofs profile image76
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second it ! or maybe third it!! Staff hear ..hear.. I believe Sophia Angelique did raise  a concern a few days ago!

Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sofs, I knew I saw that somewhere but couldn't find it. I found the thread from a few months back about hubbers sharing their own hubs but the new issue is the sharing of every hub they read.

1. sofs profile image76

I was searching for the same thread..but I guess she titled it differently... I couldn't get hold of that thread either... hmm

There are many sharing a few of their hubs and those of their friends.. it kind of clogs your feed .. I have unfollowed a couple of hubbers for the same reason..

2. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe this is the thread you are looking for:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/92594

1. sofs profile image76

That is it... thanks smile

2. Hyphenbird profile image81
      Hyphenbirdposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also have this issue. Like you I stopped following a Hubber for this reason. It is a  problem and annoyance to have the entire front page of the feed filled with shares. The person I unfollowed shared over a dozen of their own Hubs. Sharing one Hub occasionally is fine, but people flood the feed.

A few months ago I stopped following someone because they would share about twenty five of their hubs each day.

Now I see hubbers sharing every hubs they read, I know this based on the amount and the time in between. It's gone to the point where it's like a disease where other people are catching it.

I may be able to tolerate one but there are many.

Sharing one or two hubs per day is fine but so many is really p**sing me off.

3. cclitgirl profile image93
      cclitgirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think a lot of the SHARING was really set off by a well-meaning hubber.  He wrote a hub on sharing, emphasized capitalizing SHARING in the comments, and that it would boost traffic.  He also explained that only really good hubs should be shared.  So, yes, I admittedly share a couple hubs (lordy, NOT every one I read and ONLY the good ones,  I hope) when I think other people might benefit from the content matter.  But, there's a point when it's too much.  It's getting hard to find hubs that were written by other hubbers I follow because there are so many hubs being shared.  Perhaps a hub about "hubbing etiquette" is in order?  The ironic thing is that I bet it would be shared like crazy.  big_smile  I try to be really judicious about the things I share, but after seeing this thread, I will be even more so.  smile

1. cclitgirl profile image93
        cclitgirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh and regarding sharing your own hubs...I've only done it once and I felt guilty for it.  Haven't done it again.  tongue  I don't think sharing your own hubs is such a good practice.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why on earth would we share our own hubs with our followers?  We will either show up on their feed or they will be notified that we've written a new hub.  Sharing with our followers is entirely redundant.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
            Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah. I confess to doing this.  Revamping an old page, making it extra nice and good to read, and figuring that most of my early followers have been banned or locked up

1. profile image0

That I can understand, Mark.  It's just that I'm not quite sure I understand those folks who share a newly published hub with their followers.  smile

2. Cardisa profile image87

I share hubs but just once in a while if I think the hubs is really amazing which is quite rare. I recently shared a recipe by Just ask Susan and A very hilarious hub by Mark Ewbie, but that's like one in three weeks or so.

Thanks for that Cardisa!

Welcome Mark smile

2. profile image0

I'll occasionally share a hub I've read, Cardisa.  smile  I mean, I'm not sure I understand why someone would share a hub they wrote themselves.

Motown, some people update their hubs with new info or they have an old hub that their new followers haven't read. But I do notice people sharing a hub with scores over 90+ and I think they are trying to drive up the scores.

I have shared my own hub in the past but I stopped when I realized that it wasn't recommended.

3. cardelean profile image87
            cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I too have occasionally shared a hub of my own that is timely for the season that has been written a long time ago or as Mark said, that I have revised and updated.  In a long period of time you get new followers that have not read that hub or that people may want ideas for a holiday, etc. I have also shared some great hubs on occasion.

I personally see nothing wrong with an occasional share.  However I do agree that there are some that are abusing this "share" button.  I also have seen about 25 shares in a row from some hubbers.

1. sofs profile image76

Cara, that is what is bugging, sharing once in a while is fine, sharing new hubs is also fine.. but sharing your ten hubs and another ten of your friends and clogging the feed is what troubles people here... I have had to unfollow two hubbers just for that..

2. lobobrandon profile image87
              lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Occasional shares are fine, but repeated sharing of the same thing or just any random hubs does make it look messy

The same thing bugs me. As I mentioned if one of my hubbers were doing it I probably could tolerate it but now it's about five of them. When I go to my feed the first thing I see is a shared hub, then another, then another........

1. lobobrandon profile image87

Yup that's the issue and thanks for bringing it up here

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool

5. barryrutherford profile image76
      barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you choose to follow a Hubber then you should be prepared to at least read the title of their new hubs

1. profile image0

Through the feed? The hubs are already shared in newsletters when first published.

1. sunforged profile image71
          sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have only read two HP newsletters the whole time I have been on HP. The feed is the only place I would ever discover newly published hubs.

The options in the right "edit" sidebar of the feed are quite complex. Take a look at your options and you can create a much cleaner feed.

People share what they choose to with their followers, since you "follow" them rather then "they" making you follow, any conversation about how they choose to use the features available to them seems a bit out of place.

If you don't like a users interactions, unfollow. Problem solved or:

Find Topics To Follow

search
          Filter by Topic

All Topics
          Humor
          Web Business
          save
          Filter By Type

All Stories
          Hubs
          you wrote
          answering your questions
          by users you are following
          in topics that you are following
          answering questions that you also answered
          Comments
          you made
          on Hubs that you wrote
          on Hubs that you commented on
          Forum Posts
          you made
          in topics that you posted on
          in forums of topics that you are following
          Questions
          questions for you
          questions by users you are following
          questions in topics that you are following
          answers you wrote
          answers to your questions
          answers by users you are following
          answers in topics that you are following
          answers to questions that you also answered
          Status Updates
          of users you are following
          Followers
          of or by you
          of topics that you are following
          Milestones
          that you achieved
          of all users

maybe, you are right smile ... perhaps a "shares" option should be up there and one should be able to turn it off rather than be forced to unfollow ?

Maybe,one of the existing filters would edit out shares? Perhaps, Status Updates might also effect "shares"?

But then when a user tries to communicate through the status feed I wouldn't know. I don't want to unfollow these people but I might just have to edit the feed in such a way that I don't see their actions. It would be a sacrifice but I am not seeing the newly published hubs anyway because the shared hubs push them out of the way.

1. Michael Willis profile image69
              Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe HP could add a filter for "New Hubs" only. It is not in the filter.

Michael the hubs being shared aren't new. We need a "shared hubs" filter too.

1. Michael Willis profile image69
                  Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I am trying to say, add the filter to just show new hubs without everything else. Just as you can have the view for Hubs only, make it where you can select (maybe by a tab at top) to see only the New Hubs just published. (not shared)

Thanks Michael, that would solve the issue. So those who want to see shared hubs can and I can have a clean feed with only new stuff......I can't wait! Thanks Michael.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you've also turned off the notification email?

The point most people are making is that if you want to be notified of new Hubs by people you're following, you can choose to do that - by enabling an instant,  digest or mobile notification email.

I turned of the instant email because it clogs my emails and it takes time sorting emails since I also use that mailbox for other business. I received dozens of emails each day. That is why I depended on the feed so that I don't have a long list in the daily notifications to sort through either. I like to catch the hubs as they are published.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Yes, when the email from HubPages arrives, informing me they've written a new Hub.  If a Hubber then also clogs up my feed by reminding me again, I don't appreciate it.

6. lobobrandon profile image87

Before, I used to check out the home tab twice a day. Now I don't bother checking it up. I see the titles of hubs published by the people I follow in the mail I get daily. If the titles seem good I set off to read them. If the follow thing is taken care of I would surely return to the home tab.

7. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree that something should be done about all of this excessive sharing. It seems to be getting really out of hand. It was so bad this weekend that I even wondered if a group of people had decided ahead of time to share each others hubs - you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

What makes me think this is the authors whose hubs were being shared were also doing a lot of sharing. It wasn't a one-for-one share, that might be too obvious, but rather a group of five hubbers or more mixing it up and each sharing quite a few of each others hubs.

I know many people suggest unfollowing these hubbers, but that only solves cleaning up my feed.

Here is the real problem as I see it:
      If I publish a new hub I would like it to be visible on all of my followers' feeds. If my followers also follow these same serial-sharers (as many of them do), then I know that my new hub has been squashed under an avalanche of shared hubs on their feeds too. You see, it is not just my feed I am concerned about. That is why unfollowing a serial sharer doesn't address the entire issue.

Let me put it this way:
      Let's say I follow hubber "A" who shares excessively. Hubber "A" has 500 followers and I have 400 followers. We have 200 followers in common. I have just published a new hub and notice it is buried on my feed since hubber "A" just shared 5 hubs. I can unfollow hubber "A" and clean up my feed. However, my newly published hub has also been buried on the feeds of the 200 hubbers we have in common. And that's what makes me really annoyed.

I have no idea what a good solution would be, maybe knock a hubber's score by 10 points if they go over a certain number of shares per week or something.

Ktrapp, thank you! I never thought of it that way but you are absolutely right. There is one hubber in my group that has been doing this sharing for a while, it's a part of her MO since she started here and I could tolerate her because she thinks she is doing a good deed. But lately I have noticed some other hubber who have been doing it excessively.

This weekend was terrible, I had to wonder if they all ganged up on me because of this forum... lol

The new alert on self share could extend to the general share too.

I know cross linking is considered very good but there must be something that can be done.

8. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You receive hubs written by those people you have chosen to follow as a fan. One way to stop receiving some is to stop following a certain hubber by accessing your fan info. Another is to increase your fan base adding more people thus moving some to the bottom.

Dave I don't think following more people will stop my feed from being clogged with people sharing other people's hubs, it might compound the problem. Any way I only follow people I am really interested in reading their work so I wouldn't follow someone to solve a problem.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

Some of your threads are good. This is one of them. Good luck!

Thanks WE.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

I'm totally in agreement, Cardisa.  I've been noticing it so often, but yesterday, I was ready to pull my hair out.

1. sofs profile image76

lol Now be kind to yourself! smile

1. profile image0

No worries, sofs, I still have all my hair.  smile

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you! My hair is semi-fine and if I pull them out, I just may go bald! lololo! big_smile

There is a cure for that, I think it's called Rogaine... lol tongue

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Am I the only one who never uses the feed?

The only reason I even see the feed now is because I have created new accounts and jump between them.

Before that, I didn't even know there was a feed!

Now I sometimes read it, because it is there, and it helps me find some great hubs I never knew about, or some updates to forums I'm following.

For some reason most of my HP mail goes straight into the trash folder and I never see it (how do I undo that?)

So, yes I see your concern if you are a dedicated feed follower, but I can't say it bothers me at all.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have company. I don't use it, don't care about it, and that saves me from ripping out my hair...I just ignore it. I also don't share any Hubs, not my own and not anyone else's, in that feed. The only things I care remotely about on the home page are the Hub of the Day, whether I have comments, and what my profile score is. "Excessive" is a kind word for what's going on in that feed.

I like the feed for newly published hubs instead of getting them sent to my inbox immediately. I receive hundreds of mail everyday from all my contacts and businesses so it's inconvenient to sort though them for the newly published hubs so I use the feed for that. I also use it to follow questions and forum posts. I also like communicating with other hubbers via the status feed, instead of emailing them or starting a forum.

Yeah, I like the feed to for that sort of stuff.

2. sofs profile image76

@IizzyM ... I am too sleep now so I lifted this off the FAQ here is how to get your mails
      You can go to My Account > Profile > Email Settings to configure your email preferences. Make sure to check 'allow HubPages to contact you' in order to receive regular emails from HubPages, including the Newsletter.

If you’re still not receiving emails, you should safelist hubpages.com, which means you designate us as a trusted sender in your email program or service. That way, our emails will not get stuck in your spam filter or junk mail folder. You can safelist by following these instructions.

Another good way to make sure that the HubPages emails get delivered would be to add the email addresses: editor@hubpages.com, comment@hubpages.com, and email@hubpages.com into your email account's contacts (just set the name associated with this email address to 'HubPages Editor', 'HubPages Comment, and 'HubPages Email' or similar).
      Have a wonderful weekend!

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that. I am using Gmail and I have never bothered to learn how to use it properly. My bad!

Sleep well smile

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
          Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also recommend setting up a folder in your email account and filter your mail so your Hubpages stuff goes into that folder.  It keeps them from cluttering up your email.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Excellent idea...something else to do when I get round to it smile

3. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Add me to the list too!

On rare occasions I go through a phase of watching the feed, and I agree that it actually can be helpful sometimes.  But as a general rule, I [almost] never see it.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Maybe we are missing out on something, Aficionada!!

I didn't know you could IM a hubber through the feed? What else don't I know about it?

You can ask or answer questions and respond to the forums from the feed, even respond to comments on hubs too. It's quite handy. When you get a new comment (while on the site) you don't have to go back to your inbox to know, there is a little green alert on your avatar telling how many new comments you have.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can also preview a hub right on the feed, which is nice if you're short on HP time, which I generally am during the week.

+1
              I think the feed is pretty handy and you can get to see what's going. New forum topics by persons you follow also show up. I like using the feed...that is until recently.

4. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont use the feed either thank goodness smile

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

im reading and writing this from the feed smile Mine is pretty clean!

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I use the feed to check recent hubs, etc. It's never bothered me what people share except a couple that were sharing 4 or 5 of their own at a time, I simply quit following - even though they were well written hubs.

I have found valuable input on the feed, including comments from status updates. I like that aspect of sharing, and it can be beneficial. I recently scored an interview with someone from a link that a hubber left on one of my status updates.

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

If I'm in one of my "nothing-else-to-do" modes I'll scan the feed out of laziness (maybe).  I'm just as likely, though, to click on "Hubs" across the top of the page (although that seems to get all the high-scoring or new Hubs about making money on HubPages - that type of thing). 

Personally, I don't want a feed.  I don't like having stuff fed to me, because even if I'm not being lazy, I'd generally rather go looking for what interests me (part of time-killing enjoyment is the looking and running into stuff by accident).  I like a clean home page on any site, so I tried to filter out all stuff from my HP home page - only to discover that's not possible, apparently.  hmm  BUT, ignoring the feed is easy enough to do too.

When I do see stuff in the feed that I'm interested in, I'm generally glad I did (so it's not like I find it objectionable in general).  I just don't like stuff on any home-page of mine that I didn't select to be there.  (I'm not a control freak.  I just don't like "visual overload".  At least the visual overload in the feed is minimal here.

8. cclitgirl profile image93
    cclitgirlposted 12 years ago

Motown - there are A LOT of people who do.  I agree with you.  And, if you share your own hub, it gives you a warning message that it's not recommended.  But, people do it anyways.

I also notice a dip in hubscore when you share your own hubs.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I seldom if ever use the feed to share a hub, if I think a hub is excellent, I send it out into the internet - to Digg, Facebook and the like, and I tweet it.

The feed can only be seen by other hubbers, I think.

You are right IzzyM, so it makes no sense doing this excessive sharing. They should promote the hubs to the outside world if they really want the hubbers to make profit from their actions. I think the sharing has been misunderstood and have become a habit.

2. profile image0

Sharing only works with followers. Only they can see what you share.

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Wow, I thought it was me being cranky or something, but I really hate the whole sharing concept.  It seems like shameless self-promotion to share your own hub to me and the incessant sharing by some hubbers gets to be a little too much.  Share something really cool by a new and upcoming hubber if you must, but I do use the feed and don't really want to see one hubber's stuff covering the whole feed, because it's been "shared."

11. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

You have people on HubPages who regularly abuse that SHARE button.  I use the feed, and I like reading the work of new Hubbers because I like to watch their growth.  I've shared my work a few times, but less than 5 times last year.  When I observe someone who is constantly sharing their buddies' work, I make like Facebook and remove them and their buddies.  There is such a thing as sharing writing that you truly admire, but if you are promoting crap because of some popularity contest within a clique, I ain't buying.  The same people do this day after day after day.  I'll read a Hub of the Day, and someone is already sharing it at the same time.  Now, that's OVERKILL.

It makes no sense seeing 10 hubs shared in my feed by the same hubber. But now I see about five of the persons I follow doing the same thing so all I can see are shared hubs and the new hubs are lost.

12. profile image0
    blake4dposted 12 years ago

It seems to me that the point of this interactive platform that we call the WWW or the Internet is about the hyperlink and the sharing of live streaming feeds. It is everyones right to do as they will. I keep all my Facebook Twitter and other network feeds open, I get more inspiration and mutual shared information that is useful this way. But please get upset over the freedom to do this, as is your absolute right. It just seems a bit silly deep down, way down, where it tickles. Let freedom of information be. Keep on Hubbing Blake4d

1. profile image0

The technology is in place to share, and so there is no point in criticizing people for using it. This said, it would still be convenient to be able to opt out of this sharing without un-following the person.

Exactly WE. I don't want to stop people from sharing if that's their thing. I just don't want my feed clogged with it.

1. profile image0

Cardisa, we're on the same page - so to speak.

13. profile image0
    blake4dposted 12 years ago

Agreed, but that would be a lot of unshareable information. Now wouldn't it. Keep on Hubbing. Blake4d

14. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I don't share much of anything, but there was a time awhile back when (after not even realizing what was at the other end of the "share" button, and eventually realizing it), I thought we were supposed to share our own Hubs once we finished them.  I later learned otherwise (once I also learned that the Hubs are automatically shared).  And here I was, thinking I was only sharing a small percentage of my Hubs and trying not to bombard any followers with everything I wrote.  hmm

The point is, in fairness to a lot of people who do a lot of things (whether it's sharing others' Hubs, their own Hubs, or anything else), lots of times people just don't really know what they should and shouldn't be doing; so they do stuff they really shouldn't be.  Should everyone be making sure they always read up on anything new that shows up in "help" on here, or in "announcements" on the forums?  Sure, but we've all seen stuff show up (or disappear) and not really know when some change was made.  (I still don't know whatever happened to Blogger on the "share thing" - and whether I've been doing anything I shouldn't have been doing.   big_smile  )

1. profile image0
      blake4dposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is just as likely that you are benefiting from the overflow. It is a numbers game as writers. It is that way on any of the major sites like Examiner or Yahoo. It just is more artisticly inclined on Hubpages. If you eliminate the share feature and stop people from doing their thing, then everyone loses. I think you all are making valid points, but this is the Internet, it is that way by the nature of volume observers. It would be more of a problem if noone was seeing your post on the feed at all. In my opinion. If I want to share your work, why shouldn't I? I use the feeds on Reddit, stumbleupon, Facebook, Twitter, friendfinder, Myspace, and a hundred other social networks doing much more crunching than you are describing. By sending a dozen posts it brings in thousands of outside and inside interested viewers that cause hits and read your work, my work, everyone's. The point is not invalid, just against the goal of writing on a place like HubPages. Keep on Hubbing. Blake4d

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Blake, I think most Hubbers understand the principles of self-promotion. However, the point is that the HubPages community has always been a place where we can to support and interact with each other, not a place to cynically use each other to improve our earnings.

Spam off-HubPages feeds all you like, but the HP feed is a place for us to be genuine.  I'll be sorry to see it degenerate into self-promotion.

2. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree. I remember a forum a couple months ago about sharing ones own hubs and it was clear from that forum that many people didn't realize that newly published hubs automatically appeared on their followers feeds and it wasn't necessary to use the share button as they thought.

When that type of thing happens I personally am not bothered at all. I know which of the people I follow have been around for awhile and which are new.

I get the feeling that the excessive sharers that were all over Cardisa's feed this weekend and possibly prompted her to start this forum, may be the same group that appeared on my feed. These are not new hubbers by any means and the sharing of each others hubs seemed very deliberate, like a sharing-blitz.

1. profile image0
        blake4dposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I am not sure that is something that is actually frowned upon. Sometimes when in Rome you must do as the Robots.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was pretty "old" on here when I all of a sudden noticed that share button and thought I ought to use it, but I can understand Cardisa's points too; because I've been on the receiving end of those sharing blitzes too.  :loL;  (Not so much on the HP feed, but elsewhere, or in e.mails before I shut off those notifications too.)  It doesn't take too many "blitzers" to create a real overload problem.   smile

15. brittanytodd profile image89
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

This hub may also be promoting the sharing of others' hubs frequently: http://jainismus.hubpages.com/hub/How-T … er-Writers

16. Scribenet profile image62
    Scribenetposted 12 years ago

My hint; I use:
    My Accounts/ Following/ Hubbers You Follow/ Recent Hubs
    to keep up-to-date with everyone I follow (I find that the most convenient and best method)

My email gets clogged so now I even get forum threads...ugh, so I have unfollowed those features, but many of them start automatically unless you remember to untick them when you comment! I remember where I comment so I can find them again!!

I think excessive sharing is detrimental to the feed. I agree with everyone that good judgement is needed when sharing. Sharing is a wonderful and productive feature but common sense sometimes goes out the door here :-)

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This was what I was going to suggest, too.  It would seem to me that if the people who dislike excessive sharing would simply stop following those excessive sharers, then the sharers might start to rethink that practice - unless, of course, only a few people actually dislike it.

I also think Lisa HW has a great point.  Sometimes people don't realize that they are doing something against TOS or even just against simple etiquette, until it is pointed out to them.  Maybe they perceive themselves in some way as being an exception to the rule, or they may simply not remember a specific rule or guideline from the TOS, etc. 

And so I wonder whether anyone who dislikes the excessive sharing has ever messaged an offender to say, tactfully, "I really wish you wouldn't share Hubs so often" (and then link to this forum thread, or others)?

17. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Let's just say I don't like "re-runs" when it comes to the writing.  If the piece was crap the first time around, it's not going to magically change to a good read when it is shared several times.  The "Block all Stories by ______" works for me.  If you go as far as to abuse that SHARE button as a pattern, you no longer have my attention.  This extends to the others in your group who turn around and share your articles.  I've noticed this behavior since I've been here, but my feed is the way I want it.  I do not feel obligated to read Hubs because someone has to share it, and it appears on my feed.  Some of these articles to be shared go back to two years!  Yeah, that's really fresh material.

18. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Interesting discussion... Has anyone checked the feed recently? I'm at the point of hitting the unfollow button. It's beyond ridiculous.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)