Very strange experience involving gravestones.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (30 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I did a Google image search of my full name just to see what photos were on there so I could change anything if needed.

The first two results for my name were gravestones.

-->The first gravestone listed the woman with my name being married to a husband with the same name as mine.
    -->The second gravestone listed another woman with my name who had my same birthday.

My name isn't extremely common, although there are generally a few people who have it I run into now and again. However I do have an uncommon spelling. Both gravestones had the same spelling as me.

I don't believe in ghosts, paranormal and religion as a rule. But I was quite surprised by this "very big coincidence"!

So just curious - what are you thoughts on this?

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont believe in coincidences. Any other weird stuff happening lately?

2. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
      WorkAtHomeMumsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW. That gave me goosebumps.  I do believe in ghosts, in fact my house is haunted and I regularly experience many movements, noises and visits. But never have I heard of something as creepy as that!

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Possibilities and probabilities come in all shapes and sizes, so to speak. Many have a tendency to focus on the hits and not the misses.

In other words, what are the possibilities and probabilities of tombstones that have your last name but not the first names?

4. profile image62
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking you're going to need an exorcism!  smile

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

We used to get Dr. bills for some woman with my wife's name, right down to the middle initial, that lived just a couple of miles away in a rural county.  Our surname was uncommon around that area, so it was somewhat of a shock.

As they came from the Dr. we used it was sometimes a little difficult!

3. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

Hi WryLite. Many brilliant minds in physics today are coming to the knowledge that all things in creation are connected. A matrix if you like. Take 'spooky action at a distance' for example: split a component of an atom and separate the two halves by 10,000 miles;  tweak one and the other half reacts. If all in the universe is truly connected, then what you just experienced with the gravestones may have an answer of sorts.

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I tend to lean toward the "logical explanation" kind of thinking.  For example, if your name isn't generally spelled the same as others with that name, I'd think you wouldn't get tons of pictures of people with that name.  Maybe once all the common-spelling images (of, maybe, tons of people) were eliminated/filtered, all that were left with a relatively uncommon spelling of the name were things like the gravestones??  Just a theory.

I'm someone who does believe in simple coincidences, probability,"filtering" of one group or another (including people), etc. etc.

5. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I'm no longer surprised at such things as there are bound to be coincidental names and events in our lives.  Especially when you've lived awhile and with so many people in the world.  The internet has also made it much easier to find such things.

I was surprised to find so many people with my name too.  Especially one who was a movie actor I'd never heard of until searching for my name.  I'd seen him in movies before but never knew we had the same name.  It is tempting to place some sort of mystical significance on such coincidences I suppose.  smile

Now if your real name was WryLit and you found headstones with this moniker on them, you just might have something.  yikes

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Interesting how it's divided half half.

I do prefer the logical explanation myself. And I completely get how'd there'd be two gravestones somewhere in the world with my exact name on them. What freaked me out is that out of two random gravestones that matched my name, one was married to the same named husband as mine, and the other one had my same birthdate.

1. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
      WorkAtHomeMumsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's no logic to that surely, that's just freaky. Spooky.

2. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All I can say is yikes

3. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I considered listing the over twenty close synchronicities a middle-age son and his birth mother discovered on being reunited. I have first hand knowledge on this case and it was much more than an eye-opener for all involved. Amazed is a better word for it. The mother and son had had absolutely no contact nor knew anything at all about the other until just before the reunion. They also lived hundreds of miles apart. Here's the first 'coincidence' they discovered: the mothers last four telephone numbers for the last 15 years were the same as the son's families last four telephone numbers for the first 15 years of his life. Around twenty more just like this leaves me no doubt something besides pure chance is certainly happening at least in this case, and possibly yours too WryLilt. Maybe the deep subconscious has more connections than we know.

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Time has folded in half and they are from future generations of your descendents.  Data is entering Google through the wormhole and we are all doomed!  All because of you, Wry. sad

WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome? big_smile

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  I'm welcome for that eh?  You Aussies are a weird bunch...maybe you all came through the wormhole, too?

Dude we MADE the wormhole!

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Hi WryLilt,

You know that I believe in the spirit world and in reincarnation, but I'll tell you this. Since these are two different gravestones I'd say its probably a coincidence. Chances are you didn't have your same name in a past life but sometimes pregnant mothers receive the baby's name through dreams or through a third person or an object serving as a tool to carry the message. If you're able to, ask your mom why she picked your name.
    I can imagine how strange it must feel to see your full name carved on a headstone. Very eerie.

9. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

That's spooky. I think I'd schedule a physical and update my will. Just to be safe.

10. Hypersapien profile image43
    Hypersapienposted 12 years ago

Spooky.  If you investigate don't be surprised to find more coincidences.

11. donnatru profile image78
    donnatruposted 12 years ago

I read this post on FB earlier and thought of your strange coincidence.
    This is crazy. Today is Lightning Strikes Twice Day. In 1599,
    lightning struck and destroyed a church steeple in Germany.
    Between that time and 1783, the steeple was rebuilt and struck
    by lightning three more times -- always on April 18th! Robert Dickens Just thought I'd share it.

12. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

The explanation is simply coincidence that you are witnessing. There are more  than 7 billion people in the world and billions who have passed away. The chances are relatively high that there are other people in the world with similar names.

As I said, the fact people share the same name as me wasn't the part that spooked me. tongue

1. melpor profile image90
        melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Remember, billions of people have passed away where some of them probably had a name similar to yours; not just the ones who are living having similar names.

You completely missed the point. smile

1. lobobrandon profile image87
            lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Add to it the fact that those two photos were the first images to come up... that makes it spookier in my opinion. Not just the name coincidence. I'm sure those were not the type of images you were expecting to see right off the bat.

13. Melindas Mind profile image66
    Melindas Mindposted 12 years ago

Weird. But honestly, not that weird. I do genealogy, and this kind of thing happens. For instance, there is a little girl with the EXACT same first and last name, in Texas, as my daughter, who was also born on the same date. Also there's a couple in Oklahoma who have the same first and last names and me and my husband, and my first name isn't all that common (it's not uncommon, either). We became facebook friends because of the odd coincidence. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
      Alastar Packerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your correct in that it's not weird Melindas. What you've presented here could well be simply unusual coincidences. The case I referenced could not be unless one cares to consider a million to one odds.

1. Melindas Mind profile image66
        Melindas Mindposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's my point. If my child could have the same name and birthday as another child, it's also possible she could have the same name and death day of someone else. Just like you could have the same name and death day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)