Show me proof that God does not exist.

Jump to Last Post 101-136 of 136 discussions (1184 posts)
  1. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

That's why I'm so PARANOID!  Proof that God does not exist, does not exist. Repetitive....isn't it.

2. ddtank20 profile image61
    ddtank20posted 12 years ago

Some people believe in such an idea but to think that if God did not exist then how is it that everything was made all well? Everything works accordingly and if no one made that, who would have?

1. artblack01 profile image61
      artblack01posted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Everything works accordingly and if no one made that, who would have?"  No one made it, and not everything works so well.  Look at the appendix, a vestigial organ which serves no purpose in the human body, if you understand evolution then you know it once did but is no longer of any use even if we tried to go back to what it's intended use was.  If you don't believe in evolution then you can conclude that it is a useless part of the body that God made that doesn't work so perfect.   As far as other things working?  They serve no purpose in our world yet they exist.... there are many things that in the world do not "work" in biological systems.  And why do things in this universe need a creator in order to exist?  We attempt to explain the universe by anthropomorphizing the universe as something mechanical and therefore needing a creator when this is not the case.  You cannot assume that something that is had a cause that was intentional.  And you cannot assume that when I say something was unintentional "without purpose" that it was also accidental in the same sense, accident means that someone intended something to happen and it did not due to a mistake.  The Universe does what it does because of the elements act on their characteristics, their substance.  Everything that exists is made up of these elements.  As for a God, if the universe would require such a God in order to be then the same can be said for such a being, God would also need a cause.  You may say he was the first cause, but the fact is there is no supporting evidence for the existence of a God or the need for him to be a cause.  The universe is a cycle of cause and effect, to say someone would have to put such a thing in motion is to also show the lack of understanding of the workings of the universe and an assumption that a being would have to be this cause. 

It's a vicious cycle in this debate.  The only thing you can say without direct knowledge or evidence is I don't know how it happened so I am either going to study it and try and help discover what that is or leave such a question for those that will look for the answers.

1. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
        EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me much of the argument for the walking dead. Whether you believe them to be zombies, vampires, or something else all together. There are walking, talking, living people so there has to be walking, talking, dead people. Why? Laws of physics believe it or not. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This law of course applied to dynamic inertia or the movement of energy. However, people will always tend to translate things as they sit for whatever seems to work for them. Doesn't matter the way it was intended once it was stated.

Your very right in that. Kudos.

2. GodlessHeathen profile image59
      GodlessHeathenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Flying Spaghetti Monster of course...geez...everyone knows that.

3. LucidDreams profile image63
    LucidDreamsposted 12 years ago

The only reason I can think of that questions like this get posted is to start an argument. Especially the way it is worded. I am not an athiest but I am always in search of new information that involves why we are and how it all came about. Where is the proof that God exists? Please dont say...just look around.... that is really old.

4. Druid Dude profile image59

Actually, you are mistaken. The bible says that heaven and earth will pss away, and a new heaven and a new earth will be formed. It also says Heaven and earth will pass away, but the word will not.

I don't remember reading this. I have asked another to point it out to me though so I will get back to you on my thoughts on it.

5. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

you can't prove there is no god. there certainly is a lack of evidence for god's existence, though. it's not like i haven't looked.  i'm 99.9% sure there is no god.

6. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

it's nietzsche.

7. Shawn May Scott profile image59
    Shawn May Scottposted 12 years ago

Wow, you have asked the questions of all questions in our society. I cannot show any proof that God or a God or Godess does not exsist but I can say that we believe in a higherarchy and that system must end somewhere somehow above us. I know that there is more to our being than just the coporial beings that we are on the earth that we inhabit. Acention is possible after our trial here on this planet or is it? But what is that and how does it happen is my question?

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that it is about our hopes of Acention, but rather about this being a temtorary decention.

8. LucidDreams profile image63

Im trying to figure out why it is so important to prove THAT GOD DOES EXIST? What would heppen if God was proven to be a farce? What would heppem if God was proven to exist? Either way, we are still here fighting in our dailt lives. Does it really matter?

Not really to me except in context of religious people trying to invoke their beliefs in realms that their beliefs don't belong...  courts have already had to decide in several cases that religion cannot take the place of science and that religion cannot be put into science classes or taught in place of science classes in the public school system.  Also when religion tries to undermine our basic First Amendment rights.
      Religion continues to try and we will continue to push back.
      Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial
      Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 U.S. 578 (1987)
      The State of Tennessee v. John Thomas Scopes
      Three cases but not the first and last time this will happen, religious people from all areas are constantly trying to undermine scientific truths.  Science has practical applications that effect every part of our lives and religion only effects the believers who would like to see it effect everyone legally, and before the Salem Witch Trials it has. 
      When religion ruled the world they called it the Dark Ages....  it may seem far fetched but that time is always possible again.  Forget your history and you are doomed to repeat it.

Saying Religion in this context, we know that your referring to Christianity, but it is by no means all religions and seems quite derogatory towards the others. Just pointing it out is all.

I understand, this is just one example, but look up Hamza Kashgari, a person being sentenced to death for tweeting a not really critical idea seen as critical to those of that religion, the Islamic one. Now, and since the birth of this nation, we are in danger of going backwards ourselves to this state of being called criminals for believing counter to the Christian religion and I know there are those Christians who do see people who are different as criminal or deviant (as in the whole God hates Fags movement).  I can only really use Christianity (and since I was brought up as Christian) as reference to religion in general because like many people bring up here "America is a Christian Nation" which it's not, it just has a predominately Christian population.  Any criticism can seem derogatory but as a whole is reference to the whole of religion.  All I have to do is look at the world of religion and see aspects that are not so good as to not include my statement in just one of these religions.  There are few religions that don't have aspects that are actually decent in their role over humanity and Christianity, Islam and others like them are guilty.

I understand. I also understand about people not understanding America is in no way founded on Christianity. Most people just don't like to do any type of research so they accept what others will tell them or imply.

2. wilmiers77 profile image61
            wilmiers77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since 90% of our founding fathers were Christians and the others had been influenced by Christianity in their environment while being reared it would be naive to believe that Christianity had no influence on the founding of our nation.

The exercise of Christianity is flawed and far from being perfect. Christianity is only as good as its members in a practical sense. I defend only Christ Jesus and the Word of God as my ideals and faith thereof. The main reason for church service every Sunday is to praise and give thanks to God alone with receiving messages for personal improvement.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
              A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Based on your logic, we can see that whatever influence, if any, was used to found the countries Constitution and Bill of Rights would be as flawed as the Christian beliefs they were allegedly founded upon. And yet, when we read those documents and learn of how and why they were conceived the way they were, we find no such thing of any influence of Christianity, whatsoever.

Of course, any Christian here is free to show us where exactly such an influence is evident.

1. Insane Mundane profile image58
                Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A massive amount of deaths upon the Native American Indians, for starters...?

For starters, "...all men are created equal..." is a very strong implication of being of God. If it were stated by atheist it would probably say, "...all men who randomly showed up...". Hee! Hee! Hee!

Also, a Creator is explicitly expressed. LOLOL!

I think we all are only knee high to our founding father's Christian belief. I think that our founding fathers were much more serious about their faith in God than either of us apparently...Trouble Man!

Oh, here lately we get from our leaders "In God we trust..." on our money. Funny, our leaders don't won't to change it. Sorry Trouble, apparently they don't trust you atheist.

Massive research has proven otherwise. Many of the founding fathers couldn't agree on the idea of a supreme being much less of one God and one Religion.

There are a couple of Hubs on this in fact. One of which I wrote, but there are others that are more highly detailed in their research. Assuming conclusions and proving your conclusions go into separate realms. Treaty of Tripoli for instance clearly states that the United States is in no way founded on Christianity.

1. wilmiers77 profile image61

I have been exposed to overwhelming evidence that believing in a supreme being, God, was not an issue; it was accepted.

That was "...influenced the founding of..."; much difference from "the founding of..." Review my comment.

2. profile image0
                  jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All men are created equal? Yes, an anenchephaly, people with chromosome anomalies and normal person and genius are all created equal, from a sperm and egg! And it certainly shows there is god, who else can screw up like that?

1. wilmiers77 profile image61

For starters, "...all men are created equal..."

Meaning in context of Constitution, each Being has been empowered with the rights. Just be breathing and you have the rights.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58

lol That's utterly hilarious.

So what?

Have you ever noticed the pyramid with the eye on the money, as well? It goes back to Egyptian mythology (Eye of Horus), the very same mythology that spawned Christianity.

The Eye of Providence is a symbol showing an eye that is surrounded by rays of light emitting from the source. It is sometimes interpreted as representing the "eye of God" watching over us, etc.  The most notable depiction of the "eye of God" is on the United States one-dollar bill.

Per Wikipedia:  "Today, the Eye of Providence is usually associated with Freemasonry. The Eye first appeared as part of the standard iconography of the Freemasons in 1797, with the publication of Thomas Smith Webb's Freemasons Monitor.  Here, it represents the all-seeing eye of God and is a reminder that a Mason's thoughts and deeds are always observed by God (who is referred to in Masonry as the Great Architect of the Universe). Typically, the Masonic Eye of Providence has a semi-circular glory below the eye. Sometimes the Eye is enclosed by a triangle."

Yeah, money is fairly religious, it seems.
                    Even the terms "annuit coeptis" that is found on our currency, translates into ""He approves (has approved) of the undertakings."

I recently read about how the Eye over it (the pyramid you were speaking about) and the motto Annuit Coeptis allude to the many signal interpositions of providence in favor of the American cause.

The cool-sounding terms "Annuit Coeptis" is translated by the U.S. State Department, The U.S. Mint, and the U.S. Treasury as, "He [God] has favored our undertakings."

Yeah, it sounds like some holy monetary madness, if ya ask me!  Where's my freakin' offering plate!?

What does any of this have to do with killing a bunch if innocent Native American Indians for no other reason besides being domineering bullies without a cause - other than religious freedom and greed, of course?

Unfounded! Jesus is Christianity.

3. Claire Evans profile image63
                    Claire Evansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are right about the eye representing the eye of Horus, Lucifer as well, but where's your proof that Christianity is based on Egyptian mythology?

9. wilmiers77 profile image61
    wilmiers77posted 12 years ago

Firstly, I agree that followers usually place a blanketed rejection to other religions which could have 10 doctrines that are identical and only 1 that differs. They even do the same if emphasis on certain codifications is more than others in which the other religion places. This grips my gut, but I must continue to publish where I have faith. I have given honorable mention to Muhammad in some of my earlier hubs, but Muhammad is still in his grave; therefore, I can't put him above the Son of God. I believe that he is a major prophet.

No, not any religion frighten me from religions of tribes to nations. I do see them unfulfilled, incomplete relative to humans desired relationship with God. Christianity has not been fulfilled, but is on a journey to full fellowship with God while the others has limitations; thereby, falls short of God; although, they have much good. Their capacity is not that of a personal relationship with God thru Jesus Christ.

I don't defend Christians. I do not defend Christian leaders. I defend Jesus Christ and the Word of God which is in the B.I.B.L.E.

Why do all cultures create a higher power? Would you call this natural and necessary for the members to live in coexistence? Like can we all get alone?! Yes my sons, create a higher power! LOLOL!!!

10. alisha4u profile image40
    alisha4uposted 12 years ago

God does exist..Not sure about you guys..But for me, He does !!

Okay, can you show God to us? How do you know God exists?

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because he revealed himself to us. The question you should ask is; "Why not me, Lord?" God is all around. No one can point and say "there he is!" or "Come see, he's over here!" To get a really good look at him, you could look in a mirror.

Why must believers lie about that?

No, God is not in the mirror. Sorry to burst your bubble.

1. alisha4u profile image40
            alisha4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your profile name is a Troubled man... And tell u what..You are actually a Troubled Man....
            The reason you exist is because God want you to... But, you wont buy that at all..cuz God has taken away the power of acceptance from you..
            You are not the one to be blamed.. !!

Odd, I've never heard that one before from a believer. lol

Or, I don't buy it because it's complete nonsense based on irrational medieval superstitions and myths that were indoctrinated into you as a child.

Thank you. I assume you're blaming your God.

1. alisha4u profile image40
                alisha4uposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think I shud better not waste my Time on "A Troubled Man" !!
                I call it a day... God Bless You! smile

2. EinderDarkwolf profile image60

Love the mirror statement. As we human beings do have the power to create it does make a good argument.

You are in the way of God that's why you can't sense His presence. Trouble, get yourself out of the way of God so that all this madness can end. Stop and listen; let all the noise in your mind quiet.

Oh yes, that makes sense. I'm in the way of an omnipotent super being hence I can't "sense His presence". Did you get that from Yoda or Darth Sidious?

The madness won't ever end until religions end. The noise is the bleating of God's sheeple.

11. SilentReed profile image80
    SilentReedposted 12 years ago

This question should be classified under the category of probes like " which came first, the egg or the chick" How can one show proof for or against something that one already has a bias perception. If one believe that God exist...then he does. If one believe he doesn't then he does not exist. "Bless you" smile

12. peanutroaster profile image63
    peanutroasterposted 12 years ago

Prove to me that the almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster does not exist.

1. twosheds1 profile image59
      twosheds1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

J.R. "Bob" Dobbs says he doesn't, and that's enough for me.

13. LucidDreams profile image63

Wow, deep!

14. profile image0
    Ryan-Morganposted 12 years ago

Reading the drivel that theists post makes we want to cry. What is wrong with the world?!

A lot of things are wrong with the world, but life without problems isn't really real life, now is it?
      The common atheist hooey and the slop that pours out of the typical "spiritual haters" or however ya want to classify yourself, doesn't necessarily solve anything either, and if anything, it unfortunately often leads to the promotion of "no need for morals" which sort of constitutes inhumane acts, for the ones who misunderstands your atheist messages, for example.
      Yeah, organized religion has caused enough wars, but why should people claim to be in the right by claiming to be atheist, when all most of them do is fight with others who have beliefs?
      If reading theistic drivel makes you cry, as you say, then why do you continue to read it?
      Surely you can find a sentimental DVD full of sappy, romantic, emotional content for that, right?
      Anyway, if you think global peace and a truly righteous world can be achieved with non-beliefs, well...  The day we have a society full of people who have no beliefs, is the day the world is full of machines, androids, cyborgs, etc.
      Now, I'd rather deal with humanitarian problems and fight all day long, than to become a race of braindead robots.  ...And yes, I'm actually making a point here that is somewhat disguised within that robotic chatter.
      Now, if you can prove that you have circuits and a motherboard, I still see no reason why you would cry.  LOL!

Someone believing in something has nothing to do with Morals. This is a cooked up concoction by believers to reaffirm their beliefs. You attempt to tie the two inexplicably together because you don't want to have to take responsibility for every action you take. The truth is that without belief, every human being on the face of the planet would be force to take responsibility for their actions and would not have scape goat in God or in Satan for the things they do. Things such as Morals and Ethics come from human beings, not some divine entity who comes out of no where to place them in your mind. Your taught them by another human being while you are a child. That's not a divine entity, that is people teaching people to be better.

Really?  Even evolutionists try to provide a reason for a conscience, hence forth morals.
          I don't want to take responsibility for my actions?  LOL!  Man, if you only knew...
          I find your comment to be quite shallow.
          I mentioned morals for a reason, as for the ones who misunderstands atheist messages...
          Please explain how you can have morals and a conscience while not believing in something!
          Also, please define the term 'something' as I think you don't realize what you just said.

Lots of people try to do lots of things to explain that which they can't themselves comprehend. Thus was science and theories born.

It's not about knowing. It's about people being willing to take responsibility for each and every action they make every day. There are those who justify hate and bigotry by using the bible. God is their scape goat. There are those that have blamed demons for the things they've done. Using Satan as a scape goat. When your forced to accept the fact that nothing is responsible for what you do but you, it paints everything in a different light.

I'm not saying that people don't misunderstand the message of atheists. Just as much so people misunderstand each other, and more often then not, many refuse to take the time to even try to understand.

Really? A conscience is dictated by having good morals and ethics to begin with. This is the why and how of people beginning to worry. As I already explained, parents teach Children Morals and Ethics as they raise them. As does society. There is no need for some higher being to suddenly invade your mind, hit you with some mojo, and out of no where you suddenly have these things. They are things that are learned. The mind is, and always has been, possessed of learned behaviours. Much the same way we learn to walk and talk, though we forget that we actually learned such things.

In the context in which I used the word 'something' is quite easy to define. I used it as referring to religion, gods, goddesses, higher powers, angels, demons, and any other supernatural/paranormal spiritual entity. Though I'm sure you consider Morals and Ethics as believing in something, or perhaps even breathing, this is not the way in which it was intended and taking it out of context does nothing to help you in your argument.

Oh, let me guess, you also think humans are not born with altruism, as well? 
              You also claim that a conscience is a "learned behavior?"  Sorry, but I couldn't understand your confused English...
              There are many studies on this, so be sure to be less sloppy with your next comment, dear religious hater.
              So, your 'something' means religion and the entities that could possibly follow...  Interesting closed-minded view, ya have there.
              By the way, you have no idea what I believe, but yet you keep talking about religions, God, Satan and now angels... 
              It sounds like you think about the supernatural more than most theists, so you may be human after all... LOL!

2. Insane Mundane profile image58

You can't have morals or ethics without believing in something.
              That something may be yourself, your family, life, or whatever.
              You must believe something.
              Your mind is a universe in itself.
              To truly not believe, show emotion, not feel or ponder, would to be like training yourself to be mechanical, which is not natural.
              Even Spock, as a Vulcan, couldn't do it; ha-ha!  (excuse the joke)

But in all seriousness,  ya might as well demineralize humanity and transfer them into individual bagged crystals, if everyone stopped believing in something and started to mimic machines with no emotion or imagination.  ...And yes, that includes a world of 100% atheists, as well.  Can you imagine, if everyone thought life was a mechanical process?  Do you not see the stupidity that flags your face with hate and apathy?

Conscience is learned. Consciousness is the part of the brain that is active at all times. Two completely different things. Hence why some have a conscience and some don't. Your right in the fact that there are studies on this, fortunately I actually know the difference of what I'm looking at and what I'm implying to try and say someone else is wrong. A little study yourself would go a along way.

Thanks for calling me a religious hater, but I'm far from it. I have my own personal set of beliefs that coincide with no known religion what so ever. Do I hate Religion? No, not at all. I just happen to know that Religion and Christianity are NOT the same thing. Anyone who ties their morals and ethics strictly to religion would indeed fall if their religion fell. They would have absolutely no concept of right and wrong if their beliefs faltered or were proved wrong. This is the why and the how of how they are not connected.

Your right, I have no idea what you believe, but nor have your stated your beliefs, only that you believe in something. According to you Morals demand that you believe in something. Most who believe in something, believe in something greater than themselves. Thus I draw conclusion, if it is incorrect that's fine and I apologise for it, but there is no need to attempt to insult me for drawing a rather logical conclusion.

I probably do think about it more than most theists do. I do not indulge myself into a fantasy world about it, but I do think about it. Things that should have an explanation and don't are things worth thinking about.

You can and indeed you do. They end up becoming things that are ingrained into you. Much like the studies that show child molester has learned the behaviour and can't just stop, it's something they are compelled to do because it has become ingrained into them. Thus do they tend to ingrain it into at least one victim and so on and so forth to perpetuate the cycle. They think it is ok because the person who did it to them, taught them it was ok and perfectly normal while the rest of us no better. Hence children being impressionable and the need to be careful what you do and say around them.

I'm not saying that people don't believe in something whether they admit it or not, I'm just saying that there is no need for belief in something to have Morals and Ethics. These are things that are and always have been taught. Both by Society and Parents they are taught to the youth. Thus why it is something ingrained and effects most of what we do. Thus why everyone is different and we have those who make choices that each of us wouldn't make. If some of us are taught something are wrong and others aren't, and the rest taught the exact opposite, what does that have to do with belief?

I'm not saying that your breaking things down to the point of being basic robots is wrong. We know that emotions are a chemical reaction in the body though, they will always be with human beings no matter what. Morals and Ethics do not create and imagination, they just dictate what is being imagined.

As your basically calling me a hate monger here, first you should take the time to get to know me and learn about before you decide that I'm a hate monger. I'm not banding around hate or dissension or anything else. I stated something that you took wrong and/or didn't like and you immediately went on the defensive about it. That's on you not on me. If you want to through hate and such around then go for it, just don't expect people to lay down and be a punching bag so that you can be right.

First off, I'm must be alien, as I was born with a conscience.  I was once an infant that remembers things before potty training, if ya will; ha-ha!  It may sound funny, but it is true, nonetheless...
                  I was born with a conscience, from before...?

What?  I never said anything about consciousness, albeit there is a pretty cool new movement going on called "divine consciousness" or something like that...

Hmm, you seem to agree with a lot of things I say, yet we somehow disagree. [reading your comment further...]

I call you a religious hater because you keep bringing it up in a detestable way or in a testy fashion...

I never related religion with Christianity; WTF?
                  In fact, when did I ever mention Christianity?

I never tied morals and ethics to religion, you did!  I said that you have to believe in "something" to have morals and ethics, but I do think we were at least installed a conscience and altruism at birth via whatever means, but whether we use it or not, is up to us, and obviously so.  If everything had to do with our raising, then why would a preacher's daughter become a whore or a child from a religious upbringing become an atheist?
                  I do not give excuses for the individual and I do believe in responsibility.

However...
                  There is nothing logical about not using your brain for imagination and/or beliefs, as it is a shame Einstein isn't alive right now 'cause he'd tell ya the same thing.
                  True, if one talks their self into believing it is okay, even if they rid their self of their conscience and start performing criminal acts like you spoke about, they still know they are sick or wrong.  Very few lunatics are actually unaware of their actions, unless they are clinically brain damaged or been vegetized by massive drug abuse.  Ask Charles Manson about what he thinks about it! LOL! He looked at hallucinogenics as a spiritual awakening or expansion, for example.
                  Anyway, the people you mention or scenerios, whatever, wasn't born child molesters, as you spoke about, they became that way.  They still knew wrong from right and maybe they combatted the wrong they got with a wrong they provided (fight fire with fire response).
                  Emotions are a chemical reaction and nothing more, you say?
                  What causes a natural chemical reaction in the body?  Magic?  Drugs? Was Charles M. right?  LOL!
                  Sure, I can get to know ya.
                  You sound pretty cool...
                  By the way, I broke my punching bag a long time ago (one of those water-filled ones/Wave bags) , but I have been thinking about buying one of those Body Opponent Punching thingies (human-like torso on a stand used in place of a punching bag).
                  Uh, cheers?

It is possible to remember that far back, and many people believe that souls transfer from body to body. Not all souls, but some. Could perhaps be a side effect? Even denying that, we define someone as having a conscience by their ability to both define right and wrong, and having the ability to feel an emotion when doing either one. Some people feel absolutely nothing either way. It's something that has for been truly unclear for a long time. The definition is subject to change but this is as accurate as I can get with it at the moment.

Haven't heard about it, but it might be interesting to look into.

Weird how that happens..I didn't think I was exactly disagreeing with you on this, I think perhaps though we have different views on it.

I bring religion up in a test or detestable fashion because of what I have seen on these forums so far. It's not that I really have a problem with Religion, it's more that I have issues with people who think that all Religion is Christianity and it doesn't go any further than that. It's a common misconception that people seem unable to look beyond. I apologise if it comes off as my hating all religions because that's not the case, it's the way in which the term Religion keeps getting used that bothers me.

With the matter of conscience, until we have a clearer definition of the word, I think it something that perhaps we may have to agree to disagree on and leave it at that. Morals and Ethics though are things we are taught. As for the preachers daughter, teaching your child religion and threats, does not teach them morals and ethics. It teaches them that there is nothing but a bunch of empty threats to stop you, so do whatever you want. The second one is much the same. Teaching beliefs does not teach morals and ethics. If your parents don't take time to actually teach these things to you and leave it to religion or their belief system to do, then you never learn them. Just ask Charles Manson about it. He was the son of a Preacher. His father also beat him as a kid. The father didn't have morals and ethics (or at least we can assume he didn't) and therefore did not teach them to his child. Yet he was a pastor. Go figure.

Your right, there is nothing logical about not using your brain for imagination. The brain needs a release from normal everyday things. I don't dispute that. That doesn't mean you should imagine killing someone near you who you think is a witch because your a Christian and the bible tells you to do so. Morals and Ethics dictate where our imaginations tend to run. I'm not saying that the imagination is bad or that beliefs can't factor into it, but Morals and Ethics affect the imagination as well and it's separate from belief. We can continue to debate this, but you can look at belief in something as belief in Morals and Ethics like you stated before. They, at least in my opinion, do not require belief to have. You can tie beliefs and Morals together if you want though, there I cannot forsee a problem.

Science shows that an emotion takes place that there is a chemical reaction in the body. As for what causes it? I never bothered looking that deep into the studies of emotion, but does it really matter? Without emotions, you don't have a conscience, at least that seems to be the consensus on it.

Cheers

15. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

zzron, nice post but a tautology one. A negative question when you are trying to establish the positive is null and void.

16. Shawn May Scott profile image59
    Shawn May Scottposted 12 years ago

Look up Lorna Green at lornagreen.ca. she has alot to say on this subject. Read her essays on her site, it is very interesting.

17. twosheds1 profile image59
    twosheds1posted 12 years ago

Logically, you can't prove a negative. In US courts, the burden of proof is on those making a claim. For example, if the state says I committed a murder, they must prove that I did so, because the normal state of being is NOT committing murders. Also, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Accusing me of speeding isn't particularly exatraordinary. Everyone speeds occasionally (assuming they drive), even if it is by accident.

Therefore, those make the claim that a god (Thor, Zeus, Kuan Yin, Vishnu, Marduk, Yahweh, take your pick) exists are making an extraordinary claim and must provide extraordinary evidence. The burden of proof is on the claimant.

Physicist Steven Weinberg said "Science doesn't make it impossible to believe in God, but it makes it possible to not believe in God."

18. Silver Fish profile image74
    Silver Fishposted 12 years ago

I think the burden of proof falls on the believers here.

19. FlowOfThought profile image60
    FlowOfThoughtposted 12 years ago

The burden of proof is on the believer.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

God has shown man what is required (Book of Micah) as far as God is concerned each individual will be held accountable smile..for their belief or disbelief.

1. FlowOfThought profile image60
        FlowOfThoughtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That book was written by people. Not God. To believe that God came down and told someone to write it or that they heard Gods voice in some way, is to believe all the people who kill their own families claiming God told them to. You wouldn't read a book one of them had written as a message from God, would you?

1. scottsalot profile image61
          scottsalotposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! Written by people with an AGENDA! And modern society has a word for people who hear voices: schizophrenic.

Yet many people concentrate on the agendas and the schizophrenics during critique, while ignoring their own ignorance and closed-mindedness to it all...

closed mindedness needs a preconceived notion of something. There are many closed minded people in these forums constantly debating to achieve nothing.

Closed-mindedness obviously needs no ideas to be labelled as such, because limited thoughts requires no expanded notion outside of eat, sleep, drink, sex, etc.  Ya know, primitive stuff...
                I wouldn't relate "debating" and "open-minded" thoughts to requiring a preconceived notion from an outside source, as that would sort of sell ya brain short, eh?  Then again, I have never been able to relate with imbeciles... roll

Call me an imbecile all you want. Unlike others I know that when people start hurling insults it's generally because you've struck a nerve with them, whether or not they will admit it. Therefore it tends not to bother me.

Did I say that debating and open minded thoughts required a preconceived notion? No I didn't. You jumped to ill conceived assumption and that lead you to the assumption that I was attacking something you said. All I said was that to be closed minded means you have a preconceived notion of something.

Dear sensitive chap, nobody called you an imbecile...  What is that, a "passive aggressive" attack on me?  I said that I have a problem relating with imbeciles, as that much is very true!  If you feel that you are one, then thanks for telling me in advance!

You do not need to have a "preconceived notion" of "something" to be "closed-minded."  Duh!  For one, a person can simply ignore their surroundings without any "outside" notions at hand!

2. scottsalot profile image61

But the real argument is who is that who is closed minded? I submit that those who need to assign a deity to explain the mysteries of the universe are the ones who are closed minded. They are uncomfortable not being able to fix an explanation to the things that can't be explained.
              For the record, I'm not an atheist. But I don't believe in an all knowing guy in the sky who keeps score of everything we do. That, to me, is an obvious creation of man to control the masses through fear. I think of God as the (non-judging) power source of the universe, which living things are all an extension.

Okay, fair enough...  If you truly think that way, then quit making asinine comments about things of the past that you are too narrow-minded to accept as a possibility while thinking that only the "man of today" could achieve anything outside of wiping their own arse with straw, blah, blah....  People often confuse being "open-minded" with futuristic outcomes, while they ignore the possibilities that could have spawned from their own past.  I once read an ancient proverb that spoke about how the ones who are truly lost, forget their past...  It makes sense, when ya think about it, but only if you're a broad-minded being, of course.  wink

1. mischeviousme profile image59
                  mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To live in the past is folly, to learn from the past is ideal.

Yepper, ya got it!  big_smile

2. scottsalot profile image61

I believe anything COULD be possible, it's just that nothing is certain. My problem is with the 'Bible is fact' types; the certainty of it all. I like to believe in a power, not a punisher.

Sounds good to me; oh, I like your last line about "a power, not a punisher."  Yeah, dogma sucks!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Men were inspired by God ( God did not come down in person),over 40 different authors,spanning several years apart. Many of these authors never met each other, yet the theme does not contradict itself.

No, I would not do anything (even if a man claimed it was God) UNLESS it confirmed to me in my spirit /conscience that it was right ,or made sense!

But God already thought ahead of you on that one, and advises on how to test these liars and false prophets etc.

In the new testament,Paul frequently admonishes Christians on listening to 'wrong doctrine' 'corrupted living' etc.

Jesus was angry with profit making so called Christians eager to make a buck on the Sabbath ( sounds familiar)..

No,faith enhances wisdom ,not diminishes it (imo) smile

As for being divinely inspired, read this: http://www.bibleorigins.net/MoabiteBloodMessiah.html

Jesus wasn't angry about people making money on the Sabbath, he was angry about people making money in the temple. Which is counter to the "tithing" process used by Churches.

As for the name Yeshua: http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/yeshua.htm

and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua_%28name%29

Just because I like diversity in what I read, I'll include this as well: http://www.thenazareneway.com/yeshua_je … l_name.htm

Enjoy reading and let me know your thoughts. Am always interested in input.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Ok thanks for the effort you took to copy these.Im off to check them out.

20. scottsalot profile image61
    scottsalotposted 12 years ago

When in the history of mankind has anyone ever had to prove that something DOESN'T exist? I can't prove that flying, plaid elephants that speak Russian don't exist either, but since no one has ever seen one (sober), I'll stick with what we can prove.

I love this post more than words can explain. Did you know the Invisible unicorns speak German? I completely agree with you on this one. Thank you.

I surmise that 'ancient electricity' is also a little too much for ya to grasp, as well?  Many humans of today are so clueless, to say the least...  roll
        I suppose you think dragons never existed either?
        I guess giant humanoid-like beings are also a bit much, eh?
        I may go ahead and make the conjecture that you assume that this mad race of Homo sapiens on planet Earth are also the only so-called intelligent bi-peds in the universe, as well?

Ah, I'm so glad I don't think in a limited 2D fashion.  Thanks!

You on that ancient aliens kick?

I'm on everything ancient and whatever happened a few decades ago, as today's world is heading toward the drone stages of robotic, senseless, braindead thoughts.  Critical thinking is becoming more limited by the day...

21. johnakc profile image41
    johnakcposted 12 years ago

a child dies in front of a temple is the proof.

22. Druid Dude profile image59

Wait till we get to the rat cage. We're almost there.

23. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Am I the only one laughing when people refer to the Apocalypse of John known as the Book of Revelation and call it the Book of Revelations? Am I the only Crowley fan who isn't dead?

I don't find any of it funny in a good way...  What, Crowley and the Kabbalah doesn't relate to what you laugh about in the Bible?  Blah!  I seen a YouTube  video of your Crowley a while back... Hell, the Yin & Yang looks better every day, especially with silly comments like that; cheers!
      Yeah, lets combine a little metaphysics in there with some dogma and create even more confusion and ridicule and call it the Kabbalah; LOL! 
      I take that back; you're right, it is funny and surely I must be joking, right..?  lol

1. vector7 profile image61
        vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

Insane the rice grain
        Sits in a window pane
        Soaking sun all the same
        Can't surf cuz it'll swell his rice brain
        And Insane thinks that's just lame...

Just kid/n bro.. lol [don't ask, just one of those days..]

cool

2. Claire Evans profile image63

Are you a Satanist?

Probably..

Why would people worship owls anyway?   ( random thoughts tongue )

Don't they know they are dumb as dirt? lol

Oh wait, I see the conne... ::ahem:: umm - why they do it.

smile

1. Claire Evans profile image63

I suppose Satan likes making fools of people.  Why would leaders of America perform ceremonies for Lillith/Marduk whatever, the giant owl?

24. diogenes profile image68
    diogenesposted 12 years ago

Hi there.  No one has to prove God does not exist.  If you want to convince anyone of his existance, you need to prove he does exist.
    You can't prove a negative.

So a bunch of people are fighting for something they can't ever, and will never prove is true? LOL

Is that not the result of the statement just made?

I've given up 'convincing' btw, there are some who are actually curious and not overlooking evidence. I was just asking cuz I think it's absolutely hilarious.

smile

1. profile image0
        Chasukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not inconceivable, is it, to fight for something that ultimately proves to be wrong? I'm not saying that you are making this kind of mistake, but I think you agree that millions of people are doing exactly that, right now. You likely believe that millions of atheists are making that mistake, and millions of Hindus and millions of Muslims. Why is this hilarious?

I don't think that someone who DOUBTS  is a hilarious ordeal..

I think it's funny that people of that group say 'God DOES NOT exist.'

And people from the SAME group say 'You can't prove a negative.' lol

They are claiming for FACT that God doesn't exist, and stating simultaneously that it cannot be proven.. Yet 'facts' are known, and PROVEN truths.

I believe SOME atheists are making a mistake, in concluding prematurely on what I can see as easy as the sun.

I was once a person who severely doubted that God exists as well.. But I didn't try to prove anything one way or another until I knew personally it is a fact. I just kept looking.

If one CAN'T prove it [ever] then how can one justify pushing the idea when one admits their held belief is a belief with no possibilty of proof, thereby never being fact? Is that not essentially a pretense?

1. scottsalot profile image61

I think that one shouldn't have to prove that something does NOT exist; that doesn't make sense. But, like you said, just because there's no proof doesn't mean that God doesn't exist. The atheists are just as bad as the evangelicals; absolute certainty one way or the other. We simply don't know. There is nothing wrong with that; keeps it interesting.

2. profile image0

Those who assert, dogmatically, that they KNOW that God does NOT exist are not from the same group as those who acknowledge that you can't prove a negative. You are right; that would be a (funny?) contradiction.

Let's put it this way... I don't know that there isn't an elephant in my living room. I'm in my computer room. I can't see what is, or what isn't, in my living room. The possibility exists than an elephant has appeared there. Do I BELIEVE that an elephant has appeared there? Absolutely not. The idea is ridiculous. However, do I KNOW that an elephant has not appeared there? Absolutely not.

In daily life, I'd be willing to state that I KNOW that no elephant exists in my living room. However, as philosophical certainty, I'm not willing to make that claim.

1. profile image0
              AKA Winstonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

However, one can show that it is rationally impossible for certain deities to exist - a creator god, for example.  The only way a creator god could exist is by way of magical supernatural powers.  For there to have been a creator god, one must assume a position that this entity could exist outside of all that is (impossible) and create something out of nothing (axiomatically impossible). 

I don't "know" this deity does not exist - but I can safely assume non-existence to be the case unless Ghost Busters turns out to have been a documentary instead of a comedy.

Lies, lies, lies...

1. profile image0

How about, "Incorrect, incorrect, incorrect..." ?

A "lie" is an intentionally false assertion, and, if AKA Winston's assertions are false, you have in no way demonstrated that they are intentionally false.

...And that is exactly what it is, as he tries to think he is a robot...

2. profile image0

Truthfully, I do assume that such a god doesn't exist, but I won't go so far as to assert knowledge that he doesn't.

I divide claims about the world into the categories supernatural, paranormal, and natural. Think of the categories as regions, and the claims as existent things within those regions. I know that, sometimes, supernatural claims -- claims occupying the supernatural category --  migrate into the paranormal, and, sometimes, those same claims migrate into the natural.

If those migrations never occurred, I would be able to express certainty about a larger subset of claims. As it is, my subset of doubtful claims dwarfs my subset of claims about truth.

Richard Carrier provides some useful definitions:

http://richardcarrier.blogspot.com/2007 … tural.html

1. profile image0

From the Carrier blog:

Oddly similar to the claim that all real things resolve to objects (fundamentally nonmental things), while concepts (mental things) are dependent upon objects (brains).

...Yet bodily vessels contain the souls, barriers contain the energies, and life is never contained here while the thoughts are endless as the universe is expanding...

25. Druid Dude profile image59

Which, oddly enough, are names given also to Christ. Lucifer is one of the angels, along with Gabriel and Michael. There is quite a list of them.

26. Druid Dude profile image59

That star, by the way, isn't a star, it is the planet Venus.

27. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

My life is proof there is no God. If there was he would have protected me as a child! He would have answered my prayers as I cried out to him daily, he would have stopped my father from raping me daily, he would have given nerve to my mother to protect me. If he was real children would not be taken advantage of. You Christians scream out that God can not control "Free Will". So an all powerful being who can give life, take life, and create an entire world is incapable of something as simple as protecting a child?

1. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm so very sorry that you had to experience that. My heart broke reading this. But I see you're smiling in your photo. I'm glad you've found something in your life to bring you joy. smile

2. Claire Evans profile image63

I'm sorry to hear this and I can't relate to you regarding this.  I know what it is like, though, to wonder why God didn't stop my incessant nightmarish night terrors when He could just take them away.  I did not understand why He didn't I thought that maybe He was enjoying it.  I know now that without that experience I would not be a strong person today.   Jesus was not protected from crucifixion and hell.  Hell means taking on your pain and everyone else's.  He knows what it is liked to be raped and murdered and be responsible for that.  That is why He cried, "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

28. Lawrence Da-vid profile image61
    Lawrence Da-vidposted 12 years ago

For those of us that "have "faith" and believe in "GOD," no explanation or proof is necessary....period.  For those that do not have a faith and do not believe in "GOD" no explanation is possible....the mind is closed....Yet! who or what do non-believers call upon when in dire need.

1. profile image0

Lawrence,

Curious why you would lose your faith in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny yet hold by faith alone the notion of god?  Is it because the problems you hope this god can solve are more important to than lack of toys, normal tooth loss, and chocolate eggs, things like death, disease, and the ruthlessness of nature?

I'm not going to be too harsh with you as I grew up in an evangelical home with fairly fundamentalist parents, so I know what it is to be indoctrinated into a belief system and how hard it is to overcome that indoctrination. 

I will only say this.  I am in the medical field and see death on a constant basis.  Death is a biological event.  There is no mystery to it.  Nature is not perfect but is instead ruthless and arbitrary - we humans have no control over what happens to us but we like to pretent that we do.  In the big picture of nature, we are just another amoeba or a dandelion seed blown across the yard - whether we are blown into the street and crushed by the tires of a car or whether we end up in a freshly plowed garden is totally up to chance.

The is no god to care what happens to either the dandelion or to us - so there is no point in crying about it.

1. A Thousand Words profile image67
        A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not warm and fuzzy, but it's truth. smile sad That's one of the things that makes it so hard to stop believing. We WANT to believe that we're special. That somehow we are really, really important. That there is SOMEONE out there who actually cares about our well being. That there's someone who will get back at the people who have done us wrong. That this life is not all there is. That there is hope (in a supernatural being, omnipotent) Etc, etc. It's a wonderful way to feel, but it's not real. hmm What people don't get is that, especially with former believers (well I guess I can only speak for myself), life was much, MUCH simpler. When I was a Christian, I wasn't free of suffering or anything like that, but my perspective on life made it much easier to live. Life "after Christ," is not easy, and yet people think I left to "follow my own lusts," when they know nothing about me...

(Even the transcendental ideas that I believe possible are not personal, good or bad, just a cosmic reality, but that's another conversation)

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I am in need I call upon myself or my friends because they actually exist and can do something.

29. thatguyCm profile image61
    thatguyCmposted 11 years ago

If I don't believe in the existence of God, then there's no hope for me for a better place after I die? hmm..I rather believe that God exist. Atheist..respect it. Its better to have a hope for a better tommorow someday than no hope at all. When it turns out that He doesn't really exist...I would still believe in a loving God. Thanks & God bless us all and open our hearts.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why not find hope here, in this life? Why give up on what you already have in favour of something that you may have in some distant future?

I cannot see how someone who simply resorts to hoping the afterlife is going to be better is going to do anything to create good now or stop whatever evils there are going on now. It seems to me that so few people take action because they think they should suffer in this life to 'earn' a better afterlife instead of earning a better this life. There may be an afterlife, there may not be, why waste what you do have on the hopes of something that may not exist? If there is an afterlife surely you should worry about it after this life, and this life should be spent living this life and working on it instead of daydreaming about 'after'.

1. profile image0
        Ryan-Morganposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're spot on.

30. Thomas Swan profile image96
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

Atheists and religionists are equally moronic for claiming to have an answer to an unanswerable question. You cannot prove or disprove the unprovable. Anyone who isn't an agnostic has succumbed to motivated reasoning.

1. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

1. Thomas Swan profile image96
        Thomas Swanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Didn't mean to offend, but after 10 years of listenning to people ramble on about how there is or isn't a God, I've gotten a little impatient.

How did you reach the conclusion in which you think I was offended? Was it with the same irrationality you used in the post I was laughing about?

I'm sure 10 years might seem like a long time to listen people about the subject either way, but if a person is honest with themselves, then they will ultimately come to the conclusion that NO G/god exists.

It's part and parcel of rationale and common sense without ego. wink

I see you haven't posted on this thread, so I don't know what your evidence is. If you can prove that God definitely doesn't exist then you should write a book about it and become a millionaire. What do you mean by "being honest with themselves"? That doesn't sound very scientific to me.

No evidence required. Common sense doesn't often require evidence except to make sense. And since there's no rational reason or need for a G/god to exist, then why should one exist to start off? Nothing.
              If I wanted to be a Millionaire, I wouldn't be talking with you right this second. Nothing to prove btw- just because a bunch of irrational people want to believe in a G/god, it doesn't necessarily make it any more true than Santa Claus or any other myth. So please.
              If you need me to explain that "being honest with themselves" means, then you are worse off than initially thought.
              Scientific? Hmmm.... let's see. Philosophy is a science is it not? Of course it is.

Philosophy 101:

(A) Life doesn't require any knowledge of any G/god to be understood.
              (B) Life doesn't require any knowledge of any G/god to be lived.

Thus, NO G/god required.

wink

Ok, seems I was right about causing offense. My apologies.

Bad perception. There's nothing in my previous statement which would be seen as offended. I suggest you might want to work on your perception. lol

Don't worry about it, who needs perception when there is "no evidence required", it's common sense, there's no rational reason to deny it, so please, if you need me to explain why you were offended then you are worse off than initially thought, and everything I say under the banner of philosophical discussion is science too, so listen to my circular reasoning, that I will call philosophy 101 because it makes you sound stupid, and accept that I HAVE THE TRUTH...

Ok, really sorry this time, but it had to be said. Your reasoning is just as religious as the people you claim have no common sense. And if you really need to ask about my perception, I can tell you were offended by the way you turned this personal with your "worse off than initially thought" and "philosophy 101" claptrap. It's juvenile.

2. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
      EinderDarkwolfposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Motivated reasoning...interesting phrase. Especially since agnostic means without knowledge. So your saying everyone with knowledge has motives behind their reasoning. The same can be said of those without knowledge. The motives are honestly simpler and easier to see though.

I'm agnostic because I think its impossible to know whether God exists or not. So anyone who has come to a certain conclusion about God's existence can't be using evidence, they have to be motivated in some way (like our atheist friend above who says "no evidence required"). The religious are probably motivated by their belief being a comfort (afterlife, protection, etc), whereas the irreligious may be motivated by the sense of intellectual superiority they feel by sharing the opinion of prominent scientists (Dawkins etc).

Motivated reasoning is a well researched topic. There is a journal article by Ziva Kunda freely available on the web called The Case For Motivated Reasoning. One of the main mechanisms through which this occurs is Cognitive Dissonance, which was actually posed as an explanation of religious thought by Leon Festinger in the 50's. The wikipedia page on cognitive dissonance gives his original example, and lots more info.

By irreligious, I'm guessing you mean non-religious.

Where as I understand your being agnostic, you have to realize that technically speaking, Cagsil is right. There is no evidence required. What's being discussed here, are beliefs. Beliefs never have and never will have any evidence what so ever. If they did, they wouldn't be beliefs, they would be facts.

As for the research of motivated reasoning, it is actually a very very simple subject. When ever you get to the end of all the research, you realize that. No matter what you do, it's motivated by something. Reasoning is no different, and it all falls back to cause and effect really.

Yes, that's what irreligious means.

You can believe in facts just like you can choose not to believe in facts. You wouldn't call it a fact if you didn't believe it, but you would call it a fact if you did. They are not mutually exclusive. Facts require belief in them if they are to be established as facts in the first place.

Evidence is required for every claim. If God appears tomorrow and convinces you that he exists, then what happens to your claim? It is proved wrong. You need evidence to state with certainty that God does not exist. Just like I need evidence to state with certainty that there isn't a moon hidden behind Neptune. There is no evidence for this moon, just like there is no evidence for God, but in both cases you can't be certain about their non-existence. To be certain is to have a belief. Atheism is a belief.

If you'd gotten to the "end of all the research" on motivated reasoning (whatever the end is..) I think you'd realise it's not as simple as you think. So I disagree with you there. If we understood motivation fully, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The difference between facts and beliefs, is that a fact holds true regardless of if you believe in it or not. Gravity is one for instance. Regardless of if you believe in gravity or not, it is still a constant part of your life. Belief is irrelevant when it comes to facts.

My point still stands. When discussing what you believe, which has no facts to back it up what so ever, you still don't need any evidence. The nature of beliefs is such, that even if presented with facts, they will become skewed for the favor of belief or blatantly ignored. Even still though, the facts remain, regardless of if a person chooses to believe them.

I think you focus to much on trying to understand reasoning. When your studying motivated reasoning, your not look at reasoning, your looking at what motivates. Much like hunger motivates you to eat. However, your motivated to keep eating until your body gets what it tells you that it wants or your stomach swells and hurts. Like many others, your trying to dig to deep into something that's relatively easy.

There is no way for you to know if facts exist. What if your world is a simulation or a dream or something else you haven't thought of? There may be no certainty (or facts). All you have is belief in suppositions that are probable... in some cases very probable, but not certain. Calling something a fact is just a nice way of removing any remaining doubt.

So your claim is "when discussing beliefs which have no facts to back them up, you don't need evidence". I presented you with an example. There are no facts to say there is a moon hidden behind Neptune. If I went into a room of physicists and said "I believe with certainty that there is no hidden moon behind Neptune" I would get laughed out of the room. How anyone can be certain in the face of uncertainty beggars belief. Whatever mental gymnastics Atheists perform to justify their belief, it only demonstrates the same motivated reasoning that religious people use.

As for motivated reasoning, like many others you are trying to dismiss it as simplistic and understood. You demonstrate this with your example. There is more than what motivates; there is how it motivates, how this motivation interacts with different psychological states and emotions, how emotions motivate, how innate cognitive biases motivate, how reasoning is altered and to what extent. Philosophers dismiss motivation as psychology, psychologists dismiss it as philosophy, and cognitive scientists just ignore it and hope it will go away. You need a broader knowledge than just one of these fields.

Sure there is. If I do something over and over again and receive the same result, then it's a fact that I can do it. If I can subject it to the same test over and over and achieve the same result, then it's a fact. The world being a simulation or dream etc, doesn't really matter to me. It has not been presented as even being remotely possible in anyway. Have you ever heard the phrase "I define my own reality?" This doesn't mean that you can actually shape reality to what you want it to be, only that you can choose to accept things or not.

No, my claim is that when discussing beliefs, all people have a tendency to become irrational and twist things into anything they want in order to try and garner an advantage. Much like you have done here in trying to twist exactly what I said. Belief's don't make facts, they never had. They only time they create doubt, is when people let them create doubt. Facts are consistent and always there, regardless of if you believe or not. Belief's however, are not created in facts and have no facts supporting them. Wishing it were so and it actually being so, are two different things.

I think your trying to look to deeply at it. How something motivates, how it interacts with psychological states and emotions, how emotions motivate, etc is all relative to the person your trying to figure out. You can do the same thing to 10 people and at least 6 out of the 10 will have completely different results from the rest of them. What makes one person cry can make another laugh, another might show no emotion, etc. There's a reason that motivated reasoning isn't understood, and it's because you have to understand each and ever person on a individual level in order to understand it. Something so simplistic as that though, tends to elude those who think because genetic makeup is the same, everything else must be as well.

Before I reply, I wouldn't mind if you addressed my example, which you've ignored for two posts now. If there is no evidence for a moon hidden behind Neptune, how can you be certain the moon doesn't exist? Is this any different to the question of God's existence? You are deflecting this into a semantic argument about beliefs, facts, motivation and reasoning, and telling me I'm twisting your words... Lets concentrate on the topic at hand.

31. emilgen2011 profile image59
    emilgen2011posted 11 years ago

There's nothing to show, for there are no proofs that God doesn't exist... I already made this kind of forum thread, before... What the Atheists would just do then is to resort to "mob rule," but will you show you nothing (:

Seems that way. I find it incredible how atheists can claim to be advocates of scientific research whilst demonstrating an utter paucity of scientific reasoning. It's like the Christians jumping on Intelligent Design because it might reinforce their beliefs. I must say though, I'm here to learn, and I've learnt a great deal about the psychology of Atheists. The emotional vigour and irrational reasoning they employ is paralleled in religion. As a scientist turned psychologist I find it quite fascinating.

1. profile image0
        Chasukposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm an atheist, and I am more than happy to acknowledge that, of course, there is no proof that God doesn't exist.

32. profile image0
    scottcgruberposted 11 years ago

How could a black hole hide behind Neptune? Even if it were positioned at the Sun-Neptune L2 point, I think someone would notice the perturbations in the orbits of its moons, the x-rays produced as the hole siphons off Neptune's atmosphere, and the gravitational lensing of stars along the ecliptic. There's no physical way for something to be "hidden" behind another planet in the Solar System from our perspective at all points around both of our orbits. Parallax will allow us to see it at some point.

Now if it were a black hole at the Sun-Neptune L2 that was so small it didn't perturb the orbits of its moons and wasn't feeding on the planet, I would not consider it a threat. Granted, L2 isn't a very stable place to be, and we'd want to monitor it and prepare a contingency plan in case it began to drift.

And even then, how cool would it be to steer around our own black hole with a gravity tractor?

1. profile image58
      nonto21posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Also, we would tend to see a syphoning off of Neptune's gasseous atmosphere.

I wouldn't be so sure. If it is behind Neptune, the accretion disk may be too. We may notice some change in the mass of the planet, reflected in the orbits of its moons, or we may notice the atmosphere on our side of the planet moving in a different way, but it's hard to say for sure.

2. Thomas Swan profile image96

Sounds like it would be a threat if it needs to be monitored and prepared for. The question didn't require the deep analysis though. It's just an analogy for the question: If there is no evidence to prove something's existence, is this any reason to believe with certainty that it doesn't exist? Some people seem to think they can answer the question differently if it concerns God

1. profile image0
        scottcgruberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know. It's an amped-up version of Russell's Teapot. And I agree with you to a point.

Thing is, you can follow that train of thought to the most ludicrous extremes. Is anything real? Does anything really exist? All our senses are electrical impulses translated by neurons into a coherent picture of reality. For all I know, I could be just a program in a highly detailed simulation of a universe. Our entire three-dimensional reality could be just a dream in the mind of some pan-dimensional being. We can't really know anything, if you take an extreme perspective on it.

At a certain point, you have to stop and designate a "for all intents and purposes" reality, accepting that what we perceive as real and tangible is actually real and tangible. Maybe it isn't, but the light works, the gravity works, the time works, and the matter works, so it might as well be real.

33. profile image0
    scottcgruberposted 11 years ago

Continuing my post from above with some new thoughts...

If we accept what for all intents and purposes seems to be reality as reality, the next question we have to ask is "what does 'exist' mean?" If something exists, must it be matter? Can electromagnetic energy exist? How about the charge of an electron or a magnetic field? Do they exist?

What about ideas? Does General Relativity exist? The theory and its equations are words printed on a page - does that make them real? Does the fact that they descibe the bending of light by gravity make the theory exist?

What about a fictional character? Does the act of writing a story or making a film make a character exist? They may not be flesh-and-blood, but the book and film are tangible, so the characters depicted are also, in a sense. Even abstract concepts and literary techniques could be considered "existing" if we take this as our definition of existence. Hubris exists. Irony exists. The fourth wall and unreliable narrator exist.

And in that sense, God exists. If only as a fictional character on a printed page.

On the other hand, if we strictly define existence as being a matter-and-energy object in the three-dimensional universe and obeying the physical laws of that universe, then we can say that God - at least as defined in the Judeo-Christian sense - does not exist. For to exist is to be an object rooted in the physical laws of the universe. God, by definition and description, violates those laws, and thus cannot exist.

1. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

scotcgruber:  Why didn't you make this into a hub? You have some really good logic here. And you could start another really good argument! I'd vote you up if I could.

2. Thomas Swan profile image96

I would have thought that after asking all those questions for which we have no answers, you would take the agnostic position. In your last paragraph you touch on some good points though. I always think of God as unburdened by the assumptions made about him by religion. I agree that when you talk about the Judeo-Christian God, you are placing constraints on God that make him/her disprovable. Without these constraints he is just a creator. Without knowing what came before the Big Bang (if there was a "before") we are unable to reach certainty about the (non) existence of this creator God. Furthermore, there is no reason to say that nature's laws would be replicated in whatever preceeded the Big Bang.

Humans have a propensity to invent creators, and this makes me skeptical of the whole God concept. I find it useful to imagine what I would think at the dawn of time; before the advent of religion. I would look at the world and wonder what created it. I would look at my fellow man and see that humans can create. Then I would hypothesise that the creation of the world required a being powerful enough to match the scope of his creation. Thus, I find God to be a viable hypothesis. I frankly find it absurd that anyone could "know" whether God does or doesn't exist. Even with Bertrand Russell's teapot, or the plethora of absurdity emerging from our collective imagination, if there is no proof it doesn't exist, you can't be certain. I never said the agnostic position was a desirable one.

34. AFWF Erick profile image62
    AFWF Erickposted 11 years ago

There is a lack of sufficient evidence that God exists. Huge difference.

35. Rhonda D Johnson profile image60
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 11 years ago

I am not an evangelist.  It is not my job to prove God does not exist but yours to prove that he does.  But if you must have proof that that at least the God of the Bible does not exist, see my bub Bible Problematics Part 1: The Creation Story.

36. profile image52
    thietkelogoposted 11 years ago

Great post, thank for sharing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)